An absinthe spoon question that has nothing to do with war.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: An absinthe spoon question that has nothing to do with war.
By Absinthedrinker on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:47 pm: Edit

As far as I know all brass spoons were plated for use. I have some spoons that have more brass showing than plating so it is possible that someone decided it would look better by giving it a good clean and removing the remaining plating, even to the extent of washing it in acid. Alternatively a preplating blank might have got into circulation.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Marc le Chevalier: In case this is of importance to you, my friend was a flaming heterosexual, actually quite a legend in my hometown.

By Chevalier on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Doc O: I'll never use my brass spoon again ...!

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 06:34 pm: Edit

"the brass alone seems to have an un-wanted taste"

Chevalier Marc, I cannot answer your question, but I can share an actual quote of a friend of mine:

"They say assholes taste like brass...I wouldn't know...never licked brass..."

By Chevalier on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Weird, huh? Unplated brass doesn't seem to be the best choice for a spoon.

By Petermarc on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 05:14 pm: Edit

i have one brass losange that does not appear to have ever been plated...it does not seem to be common to find un-plated spoons(maybe an accident?)the brass alone seems to have an un-wanted taste...there was also one i have seen that is gold-plated...this was probably done recently...

By Chevalier on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 04:49 pm: Edit

How can I ask a question like this, at a time like this, without sounding trite?

Oh well, here it is: In 4 years of collecting absinthe spoons, I've run into 3 antique spoons that were made of brass alone. Common designs. No plating of any kind, nor any sign of plating that had rubbed off with time and usage. Just what appears to be solid brass. I've got one, found in the Marché Aux Puces (flea market) in Paris; another is in Mme. Delahaye's museum (though it doesn't seem to be listed in her latest book); and the third was auctioned last week on iBazar.

Oxygenée, Chrysippvs, Ian, Petermarc, Phil, and/or anyone else: Do you know if some absinthe spoons were originally produced and sold to the public in brass, without any plating? Or am I kidding myself? (Honestly, these spoons look as if they were never plated in the first place.) Thanks!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation