The Homespun Charm of Fountaining

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: The Homespun Charm of Fountaining
By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:34 pm: Edit

I got my sangria bottle "fountain" today, and I'd find it hard to go back to using a carafe. That slow, gentle drip makes all the difference.

The neck of the bottle is a bit narrow, so I can't use ice cubes right out of the freezer. Ways around this include crushing the ice in a blender, making ice water in a pitcher beforehand, or just letting the bottle sit in the fridge overnight.

Oddly enough, I think the bottle works better for this purpose than it would for its intended one, which is serving glasses of sangria or some other chilled beverage. The little spigot, though functional and cute, is so tiny that it takes a while to fill a glass.

By luvlite68 on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 04:22 pm: Edit

An interesting post-ban fountain is currently offered on the french eBay for anyone who might be interested.

http://cgi.fr.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1016279475

By geoffk on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 01:18 am: Edit

I think the "chemistry set" idea is a great one. You could get a laboratory buret and buret stand from a scientific supply house and easily set up a nice drip arrangement. A slow, controllable drip is a requirement for lots of lab procedures, so the equipment is precise and controllable. Most of the small burets only hold 100 ML or less, but big dispensing burets are available that hold up to 2 liters.

You probably wouldn't save much money. The stand and buret would probably cost $200-400 total. On the other hand, it would be very well-made, look really cool, and if you ever decided to cut your absinthe with hydrofloric acid instead of water, you'd be all set!

-- Geoff K.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 04:22 am: Edit

I think it was about Euros 200. It is fairly stable unless the party gets out of hand. Those glasses are now out of stock (they were a bit on the light side) but watch this space, I am working on some loosely based on that special reservoir glass which should be ready in time for Christmas...

By Aion on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 03:22 am: Edit

Ian
How much is it? Where to buy it.
It looks nice, but a bit unstable, like it is
begging for being knocked down.
The glasses look nice as well (a bit like
that special glass you own).
A.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:59 am: Edit

The one made by the Versinthe people is nice in a chemistry set sort of way and is made to be filled with ice.

By Aion on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:45 am: Edit

I wouldn´t say that $500 is too much money for
a product only made in very limited quantities
and mostly artisanal.
Speciality products have special prices and it
is usually expensive to have a special taste.
A.

By Timk on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:19 am: Edit

And, the repro musee de pontarlier ones cost $500! - rather a lot for a repro imho.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:48 pm: Edit

The web is full of these. None match Artemis'
original for economy, but some are quite beautiful.

http://www.glassworksbyalex.com/store/casafina2.html#845
Scroll down for the lemon jug.

http://www.glassworksbyalex.com/store/casafina.html#332
Two hand-painted beauties.

http://www.cybercucina.com/
Look in the glassware/ceramics section.

http://www.kitchenetc.com
Search for "spigot" -- they have a green glass 408 oz. bottle for $50. They don't show a picture; go to Global Amici (globalamici.com) to see the jar.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:24 pm: Edit

$100 Dollars or so...

http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?manId=1016&prodId=37709

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:53 pm: Edit

It's huge tho. 6 liters.

By Luvlite68 on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

The larger opening on top would make it easier to put iced water in the fountain. Nice find.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Look what I found:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=179&PRODID=62809

By Etienne on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Do I remember reading at some point that there were Czech repros around? Are these the same as the ones the museum was selling? Maybe this was their source.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

or, i should say, who doesn't make them anymore...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

will look into it when i go over this weekend...would like to find who makes them...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Etienne,

Sadly they are not being produced any longer. I have spoken with Mr. Herald of the Musee and he says that quality was inconsistent and that they have halted production for this reason. If he lets me know otherwise I will post here.

- Justin S.

By Etienne on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 03:25 pm: Edit

I asked this question on another thread with no luck, let's try again.

Has anyone any experience with the fountains sold by the Musee de Pontarlier? The look great in the pictures, but I'd like to hear that someone has seen one first hand. You know, quality, function, etc.

By Luvlite68 on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 12:04 pm: Edit

"The esthetic aspects have been well discussed here, but apart from that, slow gentle dripping greatly improves louche. I don't know how, but it does."

In my experience, a slow, regular driping of water also tends to preserve the aroma. I seem to remember a selling point for the brouilles (individual drippers) was that it "conserved the aromas."

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 12:03 pm: Edit

You can shake it one time for ol' Jerry...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:43 am: Edit

and so eventually, by the strange forces of synchronisity, the thread returns to its original topic. We just took it away and shook it up a little Head.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:39 am: Edit

The Matrix has you.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:38 am: Edit

http://www.kcfountains.com/founders.htm

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:17 am: Edit

shit, what am I doing in Kansas?

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:13 am: Edit

there's no place like home Peter

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

funny, i don't remember much...but you were there, and you, and you too, and toto! there was an emerald city, and flying monkeys, and a wicked witch and a nice fairy...and now i'm back in this black and white world...bummer

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 07:53 am: Edit

Artemis

Nooiice. Thanks for the tip off.

E-Bay, here I come,

"Vintage Absente dripper. Possibly used by such Absinthe extrodinaires as Rimbaud, Dr. Ordinaire, Chevalier, all names recognized in the world of Absinthe. Little is known about this particular piece, however, it was acquired by a specialty dealer residing in the Washington area. Act now, who knows when the opportunity will arise again."

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:52 am: Edit

How was Pontarlier Peter?

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:47 am: Edit

it ain't the belle epoque, but works very nicely...and you won't have to worry about
carpal-tunnel from holding a carafe...

By Zman7 on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:25 am: Edit

If I may add to the fray about this particular bottle. It is still available from specialtybottle.com in Seattle, I bought two of them last month. If you go to the website and click on "unusual bottles" that is where this particular one is located. However, the page is under construction. I call specialty bottle and they do indeed still stock that bottle (I live in Seattle). It retails for $14.95 and they'll ship it just about anywhere.

By Artemis on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:03 am: Edit

Head, relax, you carried out a tough assignment with endeaverance to persevere. It's not your fault the thread got hijacked as usual.

The rest of the story:

The fountain is mine. I've had it for some time, but I didn't have a digital camera until a few days ago. It's the same fountain that appears in Peter's photos with the Berger drip by Sabine the Frog Girl. I tried to post the picture Sunday but was frustrated by this upgefuckt forum software. So I asked Head to have a go at it, and it even had him cussing.

(KALLISTI! THIS SOFTWARE NEEDS MERCY KILLING!)

Anyhoo:

While scouring the Internet for bottles appropriate for, I don't know, maybe green liquid of some kind, I found that bottle. If memory serves me right, it cost 20-25 USD. It comes with the spout, just like you see it, plus a cork. The gold coating will come off the spout with friction, so be careful how you pull it out of the box. It's made in Spain.

Specialtybottle.com, in Seattle. HOWEVER, I notice the page upon which that bottle usually appears has been taken down for maintenance. The bottle man told me he would be deleting some stock - I hope that bottle wasn't given the boot.

The slab of marble was obtained at Home Depot (warehouse style American building supply chain). Because a corner was broken off, they only wanted 50 cents for it.

The stand is a plant stand (I think). My wife bought it at an auction, also for about 50 cents, because she thought I would like the Pagan motif of Sun and Moon on the top, and she was right. The whole thing would be even nicer with a stand that better matches the other materials, but I used what I had. The stand is high enough for the glass that's shown, but for antique glasses (see Peter's photos) it's barely high enough.

The doily is there because the bottle rattles on the stand sometimes when I walk past it.

I had all the other stuff for some time before I bought the bottle; it was just sitting around the house looking for a purpose. The marble tile, which looks nicely like the material in the famous fountains in New Orleans, was, for example, serving as a base for a wooden MONKEY HEAD sculpture!

The glass is a Muse Verte glass and the spoon is one of Frenchman Phil's knockoffs. Therefore everything in the picture is available to almost anyone.

I used to dismiss fountains as an unnecessary affectation, but I was cured of that once I tried mine. The esthetic aspects have been well discussed here, but apart from that, slow gentle dripping greatly improves louche. I don't know how, but it does. That Bahnhofplatz web page about the Val de Travers showed a period poster of a woman dripping water into absinthe step by step (only with a carafe) and it made that claim, which I've always thought was bullshit, but it's true. I have found that with hausgemachts, which usually don't have a strong louche, using a fountain can make all the difference between a decent louche and none at all. Ditto for Oxygenee.

So anyway, functional and reasonably attractive fountain for an outlay of roughly $30.

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 08:04 pm: Edit

"Dragging languid fingertips over walls bedecked
In ashes from the fire eaters and glitter from the dancing girls..."

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Better to post muck than not to post at all.

Do you know what kind of verbal acrobatics I've been pulling around here just to see this forum mumble a few words through its stupor or through the deafening buzz of Don's bliggity blahs?

My own fault, I'm sure. This place has gone to my head.

I think I'll take Art's advice and go write a freaking novel.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 07:28 pm: Edit

tee hee

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Fuck you.

Gently.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

We've learned from the best.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:47 pm: Edit

You people really know how to muck up a thread

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Vera, you and me need to talk(about this resource of yours)

Chevy,
Artemis, Water Fountain, Himselfy, Utilitarian Purpose...

There's an explanation coming...

Sit down and Shut up!

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:44 pm: Edit

BJ: I'll see what I can do.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Brain implants for monkeys? Are they mind control implants? Can I make an army of monkey minions? PLEASE!?

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Then again I don't know if you want your fountain made by people who make brain implants for monkeys...

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Head, you should have said something, I work with a team of biomedical machinist and engineers. They make things out of glass, stainless steel, plexiglass, you name it.

And also, what happened to the gatorade bottle?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Who what how why?

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:14 pm: Edit

The Fountain!!!
Water Fucking Fountain

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:12 pm: Edit

The Fountain
Water Fountain

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation