Versinthe, how good or bad is it ?(Quebec)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Versinthe, how good or bad is it ?(Quebec)
By Wolfgang on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Versinthe is a nice but too sweet absinthe copy. Based on my personal experience, it doesn`t give you the little subtle euphoric effect of real absinthe. If they realy used artemisia absintium in it, it`s probably in very small quantity (or they use it the wrong way, in a process that doesn`t keep the fairy in the bottle...).

We could argue about what`s the real true taste of absinthe for hours because not absinthe are created equal. Even Ted is brewing many different excellent absinthes but of course, they don`t taste all the same.

Anyway, If you want to taste good pastis in Quebec, look for Bardouin, Combier and Versinthe. If you want to try decent absinthes, go to spiritcorner.com and order Serpis65, NS70 and Segarra.
None of those Spanish absinthe will come close to Jade`s repro but they are still enjoyable drinks and they area available now.

As for the effect, of all the Spanish, Serpis65 wins by a huge margin, personaly, I don`t even call it ''subtle'' anymore. I must also add that I was extremely skeptic when I tasted it and was very surprised... It`s comparable to the best of the best. Of course, the comparaison ends there.

Ok, I diverge.

Wolf-Happy to see a fellow Quebecer posting.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:31 am: Edit

Abspliff

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

Versinthe has very little in common with the absinthe of old. Versinthe is much more like a modern pastis or liqueur d'anis. Versinthe does not taste like absinthe.

Their information with regard to thujone is outdated and rooted in myth. The theory that THC and thujone had similar effects was disproven in 1997.

By Astralmind on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:46 am: Edit

Well I found out that we're suppose to actually have Abstinthe legally in SAQ, Quebec. Supposed to be called Versinthe from France and be 45 % and have very little tujone. I got that from an article on that page : http://radio-canada.ca/radio/indicatifpresent/passe.asp?section=49&topo=3719&categorie=Reportages

I don't know how true are their info but they mention somewhere that Absinthe had molecules really close to marijuana .. is this true ? They also "blamed" the effects only on tujone... which seems a little excessive to me. Any comments ?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation