Absinthe ''Verseuse''

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Absinthe ''Verseuse''
By Wolfgang on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 09:23 am: Edit

I would buy it if it was half the price she's asking for it, just for the pleasure of owning that strange little spoon (usefull for small glass) and that weird "verseuse" ;-)

By Oxygenee on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

I'm pretty certain that this is a modern replica.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 07:03 am: Edit

Here's the answer from the seller. It doesn't say much about the Verseuse... In fact she obviously don't exactly know what it is. She think the spoon is just a shorter version of the Les Feuilles #25.

She also say it may be a modern replica, she have no idea.

Oui c'est bien une cuillère à absinthe n° 25
(les feuilles), seulement elle mesure 130 mm et non 155 mm, comme celle
répertoriée dans l'excellent livre de Marie-Claude DELAHAYE que j'ai
rencontré à BESANCON en octobre dernier au salon de l'absinthe.
Quant à la verseuse, elle peut éventuellement être appelée (sous toute
réserve) "godet-verseur à absinthe" ou "godet-verseur à absinthe pour
Quant à la date de ces 2 objets, et l'auteur 'Vincent Garnier" je l'ignore
Est-ce une réplique moderne, c'est possible, je ne puis vous donner aucune
précision à ce sujet. En tous les cas, c'est fort bien fait.
Voici tous les renseignements que je pouvais vous donner.
Très cordialement,

By Miss_Thing on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 - 12:13 am: Edit

What a lovely object. It seems rather shallow to be used for pouring into something, more makes me think it's a spoon rest and the spout bit would be for convenience of (say) cafe employees to empty when they get full with drip-water from used spoons... the other little protrusion a small handle with which to pick it up... well that's my humble opinion anyway :)

By Etienne on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 09:10 am: Edit

Of course, I don't know if that something was supposed to be absinthe or orange juice.

By Etienne on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

A curious thing.... when I made that last post I didn't mean to imply that I thought that it was a sugar dish or something of that sort, it surely isn't. It's interesting that all the dictionary listings I can find for the word have something to do with despensing something. I agree with Wolfgang, it sure looks like you're supposed to pour something from it, spout, handle and all.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 07:16 am: Edit

My guess is you put a sugar cube in it and some water. When the sugar cube is fully diluted, you pour it in your absinthe.

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 06:24 am: Edit

I was hoping no-one else had noticed this.....;-)

Although the general design is similar, not only are the holes entirely different from Les Feuilles #25, but the spoon is much shorter - 130mm rather than 155mm. Off-hand this is the shortest absinthe spoon I can remember seeing (if it is indeed an absinthe spoon).

The apparent maker's mark is also unrecorded (and very atypical for the period, with the name and town in cursive script). Its certainly an unrecorded item, but whether it in fact dates from the pre-1915 absinthe period is of course another question.

As for the "verseuse", no-one yet has come up with a better suggestion than Petermarc's most recent hypothesis....

By Etienne on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 05:28 am: Edit

Has anyone looked at the spoon? It looks like a feuilles #25-27 except the holes are much larger than the examples in Delahaye's book. Is this an unlisted variation?

Also, my Collins Robert dictionary lists "sucrier verseuse" as a sugar dispenser. Any ideas?

By Petermarc on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 03:21 pm: Edit

or maybe you rest something else on it...

but how you use it to make an absinthe, i don't know...

By Petermarc on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

or his combination tastevin/individual cigar ashtray...

By Petermarc on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 03:09 pm: Edit

i think someone stole vincent's tastevin...

By Rimbaud on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Looks like a spoon rest/holder of some sort. Something like those ceramic things that you use in your kitchen to rest a spoon on that you're using to stir sauce cooking on the stovetop...That's my guess.

By Petermarc on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 02:51 pm: Edit

me, too...

By Wolfgang on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

What's the purpose of a "verseuse" ? How did they used it ?It's the first time I see this item...

Verseuse on Ebay

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation