Tri-State Soiree !?!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Tri-State Soiree !?!
By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Say something folks! What have we all got to bring (I need to place an order soon to fill the gaps if it is to arrive in time...)

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Lookin like the 1st.

I got me some Serpis 65

Regular old Serpis (which may be gone by the end of the month, heh)

And some NS, normal strength.

I might be placing an order depending on how me finances hold up... but before I do, what is everybody else bringing so I can compose my shopping list?

By Louched_Liver on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 04:46 pm: Edit

I heard rumor of a party.
Kallisti has liberated me from the prison of my own ignorance-I forgot I changed my name eons ago. What a dolt.
So, what time is this shindig kickin' off? And what to bring? I only have N.S. and Sir Piss, both in ass kickin' strength.

The Liver

By Pantagruel on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 03:30 pm: Edit

The first of next month sounds like a winner for moi aussi, as it were.

By Cheri on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 09:10 am: Edit

Count me in still! I'll be there!

By Tavarua on Saturday, November 03, 2001 - 03:06 pm: Edit

So far we have eight confirmed for the gathering, Pantagruel, Loucheliver, Mr. Rabid, Myself, and four mystery guests, sshhhhh. What about you Cheri, still in? Nine would be nice. It is looking like Saturday, the 1st of December.

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I'm OK with the first or the third or whateverthehell, as long as its a saturday.

By Tavarua on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

It looks like we have some planning to do. What does everyone think of these dates. Lets get another roll-call.

By Pantagruel on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 04:06 pm: Edit

...However, Saturday, Dec.1 would also be a good date (for me)...I had meant the 1st originally, not the 3rd, which I had posted. Really folks I'm not this thick, just seems like it...I'm much more intelligent in the flesh.

By Pantagruel on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I just realized that I was looking at the oct. calender....this is what comes of working around too many heavy metals (zinc, lead, etc). So for my own edification, the idea is the 24th of this month (the saturday directly after TG), yes?

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 03:27 am: Edit

oops, I somehow posted twice, sorry

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 03:26 am: Edit

sorry folks 24th is a nogo for me. I'll still be away. What about Saturday Dec. 3....or is that no good too?

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 03:25 am: Edit

sorry folks 24th is a nogo for me. I'll still be away. What about the weekend after TG, Saturday Dec. 3....or is that no good too?

By Cheri on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 05:20 am: Edit

The 24th works for me as well.

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 12:55 am: Edit

24th is fine for me.

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Yeah, that guy (merman?) in the photo looks like he's getting it on with a giant clam - and perhaps having a few regrets.

By Tavarua on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 09:41 pm: Edit

It is starting to look like the 24th actually. I wanted to avoid this date originally, as I figured 2 gatherings in 2 weeks would be a little draining. However, I have seen no evidence that the Vegas get together is still a go, so what does everyone think about this date. Loucheliver has been unable to set up his account to date, but has conversed with Rabid and myself and prefers this date. He may have a special treat if we can wait, and besides, the more forumites able to attend, the better. Does this work for everyone?

By Pantagruel on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, the 17th would be bad for me..but the 10th would be fine.

By Cheri on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

I'm still in. The weekend of the 17th would be best for me.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Have another look at the dude at that castle in Sintra, Marc Campbell get's everywhere.

By Tavarua on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 10:39 am: Edit

Can we get a tally of all those that will likely be attending. From my account so far, we have Pantagruel, Cheri, Mr. Rabid, Loucheliver, and myself. Is everyone still in? Anyone else?

Also, lets start thinking about the date. What about the weekends of the 10th or the 17th?

By Tavarua on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 05:24 am: Edit

Have you been able to get ahold of him?

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 05:53 pm: Edit

That was Loucheliver Ted sent the Jade to.

By Tavarua on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:44 am: Edit

“Pantagruel is apparently legit about the Jade.”

The reason why I maid this statement is that Ted did in fact send a few samples to an individual in PA last year, for a gathering. The pieces seemed to fit so I made the assumption. Guess I was wrong. But hell, I can deal with Swiss.

By Petermarc on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:37 am: Edit

bad call on my part, but i just couldn't fork out the $9 for it and feel good about myself, i am, at this time, completely spoiled against commercial products...i'll go back...it's an interesting place and the people are very nice...even the graffiti, which there was alot, had no violent aspects to it, which was odd for me, as paris has started become a bad ghetto...
food is not great, unfortunately...they cook like they were landlocked...funky castle in sintra...
greenblue

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Interesting to see that 'Extase' really does exist. Nice story, Petermarc (as usual), but it's a pity you didn't make yourself a guinea pig for this obscure brand, since few of us will probably get the opportunity to taste it. Maybe it's just as well, based on your description of the bottle and its contents. That looks like a rather nasty color, assuming my monitor and your camera are at all accurate.

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Blackjack,

you are correct, sir.

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 07:42 pm: Edit

heiko,

entschudegung bitte. peinliche! ('scuse the spelling mistakes but I've not studied German in over 16 years).

I stand corrected.....(head down) I had ordered from BEI, not BEL. I am a sorry ass confused puppy...that being said no Jade. But on the bright side, that means i have more swiss stuff..machts nichts fur mir.

Sorry to get the hopes up Tav, Cheri, etc.

embarrased,

p.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Quote:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but as I ordered several bottles from Belle Epoch Liquors...the label looks the same as it does in the photo in the La Fee Verte absinthe descriptions as Jade.

I don't think anybody but Don and Ted know what an official bottle of Jade look like, since they haven't started shipping yet. It certainly isn't in the buyer's guide. As such, I don't think you have ordered several bottle from Belle Epoch Liqueurs.

Now, what you MIGHT have done is order several bottles of La Bleue from Belle Epoch IMPORTERS, Justin's (mostly late) business selling collectables and absinthe. They aren't the same company, and BEI sold a French-made clear bootleg, not Jade.

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Mr. Rabid,

couldn't agree w/ you more. I purchased a bottle of Manguin from SC. The stuff was pretty bad. I gave it to some friends in from NYC (nice friend that I am). It was just too sweet and if memory serves, a lot like Ricard.
Don't get your bottle back.

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Heiko,

seems as though I've offended your sensibilities.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but as I ordered several bottles from Belle Epoch Liquors...the label looks the same as it does in the photo in the La Fee Verte absinthe descriptions as Jade. But what do I know? If I'm wrong, woohoo!! Glad to make your day. Please don't judge the bottle 'til I'm half drunk.

By Mr_Rabid on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 02:35 pm: Edit

I have a half a bottle of Serpis 65, half of Serpis 55, some NS (low octane) and possibly might be able to bring some Manguin, if my friend hasn't drank it all yet.

I found it foul, and so gave it away.

Bucks county is fine with me. I will check with Loucheliver

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

trainstatio,
multi

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

as far as portugese goes, my wife kidnapped me to
lisbon a couple of weeks ago for my birthday...had to drag her to a large wine shop to find absinthe...pretended to be more interested in port and then asked about absinthe...ah! all the french come here to buy absinthe! said the woman helping us.... they had two, neto costa and extasse...extasse looks like hills in square clear bottle with a quote from nietzsche's 'thus spake zarathustra' covering the full front label(?)! 55° did not look like it had a reason to live, so i didn't buy it...opted for the neto costa instead, forgetting what was written in the buyer's guide, never expecting to go to portugal by surprise...neto costa pretty much sucks, no louche, wambly anise flavor with no impression that there is any absinthe in it at all...57°...happily, i bought some port, too...
you all are not missing anything at all, enjoy (or try to after having la beue or especially, the jade) the others, it sounds like an interesting night..
1,trains
lisbon central trainstation...neto costa

2,mutiabsinto
choices, choices...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 01:53 pm: Edit

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Heiko,

Pantagruel is apparently legit about the Jade. So I have to assume he is legit about the Swiss. This is sounding like it is going to be a tasty time.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Mark and N.

What about you guys? You will be in the area anytime soon. N., your talents sure would be appreciated.

By Heiko on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

"(...)some different Swiss ones, and a Jade"

"Leastways when we talk w/ people about this stuff we can act as though we know what we're blabbing about."

No comment

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Shit, I didn't know it was going to be that kind of party. I might have to bring along some La Bleue as well. How, might I ask, did you get a hold of the Jade. I would love to try some Portugese variaties, but would be hard pressed to find anyone that has them. As for the King, I am confident that no one will have that, although, I wouldn’t mind trying some just for the hell of it.

By Pantagruel on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 11:28 am: Edit

Got some NS 70 and 55, Deva likewise, a MM 70 and some different Swiss ones, and a Jade. I would be interested in Seggara, and possible trying some nasty Absinthe King Gold to really round out the whole experience (grimmace). What else can folks provide, La Fee or Oxygenee...let's get the gammut! Leastways when we talk w/ people about this stuff we can act as though we know what we're blabbing about. Perhaps we might not remember though. As my wife doen't drink the stuff, it's hard to have different comparrisons on hand as it were. Yada yada. Anyone interested in sharing/trying Portugese brands?

So Cheri and Tav are in..who else?

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

I am definately down. Pantagruel, your place works for me, but you will have to check with the other forumites. All I have left is some Segarra, but I would be happy to exchange some of that for some NS 70.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

Why do i live in the northen wilderness of Quebec! I keep missing all those tastings!

If some of you come to montréal for Convergence 8, I sure will organise some un-official absinthe tasting for the event...

Convergence info:

From may 31 to june 2 2002
http://www.altgothic.com/c8montreal/

PS.: One of the commitee member is Olivier, the guy who was sitting left of Ted at the Jade tasting. He will probably spin at the The Celestial Choir event...Great DJ he is!

By Cheri on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 06:48 am: Edit

I'm soon to receive a shipment from SC of Segarra and Deva 50. I have some NS70 at home. I'd like to try Serpis before I buy.. I'm open to suggestions as to when. Count me in.

By Pantagruel on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 08:13 pm: Edit

(Sorry if I mispelled 'soiree'...I failed french two years in a row, so sue me.)

So folks, what's the what? Absinthe tasting!?! When? Who wants to donate what? We should figure out a sellection to bring so that there are no redundant bottles.
Tav, I have not heard back from you via the forum. So who else wants in? I know I've seen others' posts showing interest.
Personally, if it's not too many folks, I offer my digs, if people are into the scenic/rural Bucks County, PA, thing (sort of like that 18th c. episode from Blackadder, where Rowan A. burns Robbie Coltrain's (sp?) dictionary and has to put up with the belligerent and foppish likes of Byron, Shelly, et al). Seriously though, as I'm equidistant between NYC and Philly, I thought I might offer a place to partake of said ritualistic imbibing of said selections of said ambrosias. We do live on a farm and have a couple extra futons for those who end up getting too tight to drive. Sorry no sheep, but we do have chickens if your into that Pink Flamingos sort of thing.

Cheers,

Pantagruel

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation