Should I?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Should I?
By Wolfgang on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 10:00 am: Edit

Unusual herbal (oily?) content that`s for sure. I taste some cardamon in there. It now comes third in my Spanish trio. I prefer Segarra for it`s simple but honest craftmanship and Serpis65 for it`s complexity.

[insert snobbish comment]
Of course, it's like comparaison between cheap convenience store wines. When I talk about complexity, it's an overstatement compared to the complexity of the finest but mostly unavailable brands.
[end of snobbish comment]

By Maxpower on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 06:17 am: Edit

speaking of ns, what gives ns that weird celery taste?

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 02:27 am: Edit

I know. I was just kidding with you...

...when will you learn...

By Wolfgang on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Talking from personal experience ?

I'm just kidding. I like this stuff for what it is. I'm not making fun of you. It's just my usual form of self-derision.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Ok. Now you're making fun of me.

I can take it. I have thick skin. You may be kidding and overexagerating now but one day you'll wake up and you'll be laying under a park bench with an empty Quickie Convenience cup laying next to your head a burn in your throat and red stain on your psyche that won't come out...

You will be mine. All mine.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 02:25 pm: Edit

We must all drink ALL available Serpis bottles to make sure it diseapear from the surface of the earth. It's invading our world and the only way to kill it is to drink it. It's a mission!

(maybe I should register my Serpis sect so my SC shipment of the red stuff could be tax-deductible...)

By Wolfgang on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Fall to the red charm! F A a a a a l l l ! Serpis65 is the devil`s blood, it`s the evil, depravated dark side of absinthe. It should not be allowed to exist, it breaks the rules of "good taste". It's an anomaly in the system, a bug. DRINK IT!

By Cheri on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

I have NS 55 and 70 here right now, and I got them when my Deva 50 ran out. I kinda miss the Deva! I now love the Segarra and want to order the Serpis.. i just have to get over this "thing" i have that absinthe should be green! Mari Mayans is soooo pretty but it tastes to me like LICORICE WATER. (I'd say crap, but I've never really tasted crap)..

By Heiko on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 04:07 am: Edit

Lemon, it's everywhere - even when I smell my used sport socks - the lemon haunts me!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Heiko can taste lemon in maple syrup.

By Pantagruel on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 10:47 pm: Edit

for what it's worth (ie I'm new 'round here) I have to concur w/ Heiko. I poppped open a bottle of NS several days ago, and poured a glass: the first thing that I tasted was lemon rind...bitter! In my experience, Deva seems to be a bit more subtle relatively speaking(hence preferable), though the NS is not so much objectionable as just different, though I might say unbalanced in this regard (though this might become a run-on sentence).

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I need to take you to the used car lot...
You sure can whiff'em out.

By Heiko on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 06:11 pm: Edit

What struck me when I first took a whiff of NS was that there was a distinct lemon flavor, the same that people hate in Herring, Lasala and Montana.

Of course, NS is more complex, but there still is this certain artificial lemon flavor in it. It would be better without it (or less of it).
I can't say it tastes dark to me, because the lemon sheds so much light on the rest ;-)

Well, if you hate NS because of its anise content, how can you like any of the Spanish except maybe Segarra (and even Segarra still has a lot of anise)?

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I was going to say it tastes dark green to me. Ted nailed it.

By Tabreaux on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

I suspect people tend to favor the N.S. because the flavor is a little 'darker' and not so candy-like. Regardless, if you pop the cap and take a whiff, you can distinctly recognize that familiar 'oily' aroma.

By Terminus on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Why do people like NS?

The anise content puckers my lips.

By Wolfgang on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Serpis 65% is way better than the 55%. Personaly I also like NS70 and Segarra. Get all of them if you can.

Now about the difference between low alc. and high alc. versions...

Serpis : huge. It's not traditional at all but I just love it (the 65, not the 55).

NS : some difference, good deal with the 70 if you dont want to pay shipping for the added water in NS55.

Deva : little difference from one crap to the other and the Deva70 bottle is too small so forget about it.

By Terminus on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 10:17 am: Edit

I just got back from Europe.

The Ka Dee Wa in Berlin sells Serpis and Deva.

Too cool.

By Terminus on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

Get the Serpis 65% and the Segarra.

NS sucks.

By Cheri on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

Make that NS 70.. geesh.. watta day

By Cheri on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

I'm about to place another SC order. Should I go with Serpis 65? How different is it from say NS 79 or Deva 70? in taste..? I just got used to the taste of Segarra and love it..but now that bottle's gone.. ARGH. I'm not one to readily adapt to change. And will I get the darn Serpis Shits?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation