Close encounter with Absente

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Close encounter with Absente
By Mr_Carfax on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Cool, I stand corrected and further educated...

Half inspires me to start growing an "absinthe garden" now I have reclaimed my backyard from a mutant weed plague.

By Zman7 on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 05:55 am: Edit

Carfax,
On my journey of absinthe exploration, I have made it a point to take each herb/spice seperately and familiarize myself with its taste properties. I definitely agree with Kallisti that Melissa, if too much is used, will impart a "lemony pledge" taste and palate feel.

By Admin on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 12:59 am: Edit

Melissa or lemon balm when over used, will produce a furniture polish like bouquet.

By Mr_Carfax on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Question...and forgive me if this may have been answered on the forum already but I haven't found it in the archives...

I was looking up some characteristics of Southernwood (as found in Absente), and one of the items that jumped out at me was that it had a strong lemon fragrance...

That's when I thought of our favourite descriptor, "Lemon Pledge", for brands like Lasala. I know it has been established already that it is not hyssop or lemon balm.

Now, in my mind this indicates the potential inclusion of A. abrotanum and not necessarily indicate the absence of A.absinthium.....but still....

Any thoughts?

By Wolfgang on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 10:15 pm: Edit

I personaly pride myself in educating the local scene about absinthe through tasting, donation of samples and writings in fanzines but I think Head is right, let them have their dream. Those who are realy interested will eventualy find their way anyway. Damn, strangers in public places sometimes ask me "where you talking about absinthe, where can I find a bottle blablabla..." . It's not that hard to find information for those who realy care.

Anyway, I assume here that your friends already know about the real deal...

By _Blackjack on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Quote:

Is this the same kind of crowd that thinks Marylin Manson is goth and Poppy Z. Brite the goddess of literature?

No, actually, for the most part it's a pretty clever and un-pretentious crowd. Those who take themselves to seriously are prone to be mocked into submission.

"If you're an 800-year-old vampire, why aren't you on the guest list?"

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Sometimes the truth hurts, but nevertheless, it is the truth.

By Verawench on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Is this the same kind of crowd that thinks Marylin Manson is goth and Poppy Z. Brite the goddess of literature?

Cause then they deserve all the absente in the world. In fact, let them have all of it so there's none left at my local liquor shoppe to insult my eyes.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Let them have their dream.

By _Blackjack on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 07:48 pm: Edit

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to the promoter of the club where I am doorman about our annual Hallowwen party. He told me that the bartender from the new venue had ordered a couple of cases of absinthe for us. I asked him what brand it was, and he said he wasn't sure, but it was "absenta," which I took to mean it was a Spanish brand and the bartender knew what he was talking about.

Last week one of the DJ's mentioned it (in the context of mentioning the bar's absinthe and Red Bull cocktail), and when I asked about the brand, he said the bartender called it "absent-ee".

Nah, it couldn't be.

Sure enough, I confirmed today that the bartender had bought several cases of Absente. I am 99% sure that he did so in good faith, and that he was lied to by his distributor. Now I'm in the tricky position of having the break it to the promoter, who has been advertizing that there will be absinthe at the party, that he is getting nothing but pastis. I realize that I am the only one who will know the difference, but I would do the same thing if I knew he was selling fake Cuban cigars.

I guess I could sacrifice my last bottles of Serpis and NS to the cause, but that would only last about 10 minutes the way my friends drink...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation