Brand flavor

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Brand flavor
By Aion on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 03:37 am: Edit

Is there anything but badiane and sugar (and maybe liquorice root)in Pernod pastis?
A.

By Ekmass on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 01:09 am: Edit

Wolfgang. I had the sample of Petermarc's Pernod (he refers to it in his Pontalier post). I was supposed to go to Pontalier but family business kept me in Paris. Anyway,we usually get together now and then for little tastings. I like to make my own stuff and he usually has a good collection of things either sent to him or procured from various sources. This Pernod, was of the genuine nature (as far as I could tell) and in good condition. There was a slight hint of age on it but really only detected after the predominant flavors. The color was not unlike like that of other pic posts you have seen, with a lovely opulescent green which almost shimered. Unlike the Berger, it had a fresh, complex herb flavor as opposed to an oriental spiciness. Now the flavor that was similar to the modern Pernod was kind of a sweet resiny sort that hits you on the back of the tongue. Any thoughts?
EM

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 02:59 pm: Edit

"Would it be too harsh to ask for some news concerning the release date?"

It is getting closer. We will email an update shortly.

"Now some late questions I had in mind Ted, how old were the Edouard and Berger samples we tasted in Montreal ? Will the final product go through a longer or shorter aging process ?"

The samples in Montreal were young (off the cuff and last minute). The final product will be older.

"I know you mentioned the particular attention to details in the autenticity of the final product."

The details of our products cannot be disclosed at this point for business reasons. You will just have to be in suspense for a little while longer.

By Wolfgang on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Ekmass.: Why keep it out of the forum, this looked like the beginning of a very interesting and instructive thread ?

Wolf-"CuriousGeorge"-Fener

By Wolfgang on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Hummm, I`m still dreaming about the "Edouard"...
Would it be too harsh to ask for some news concerning the release date ? May I dream of it for christmas or shall we not expect it before next summer ? (Because that will probably have an effect on my spending in Paris next month...).

Now some late questions I had in mind Ted, how old were the Edouard and Berger samples we tasted in Montreal ? Will the final product go through a longer or shorter aging process ?

I know you mentioned the particular attention to details in the autenticity of the final product. Will this include such things as the bottle size, glass stamping, seal and label (with all the associated risk of complaints by Pernod...) ?

By Ekmass on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Ted. I just sent you an e-mail with some of the answers to your questions. You are right in what you say about both the Pernod absinthe and pastis. I am actually glad you responded first because my point and question is that I believe there is a particular ingredient (other than the obvious ones) that Pernod has continued to use to give it a certain flavor. If you might shed any illumination on this I would be greatly appreciative.
EM

By Tabreaux on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 01:29 pm: Edit

The obvious question would be with regard to the integrity of the vintage sample (e.g. please give details of the sample, bottle, description of how/where it was obtained, etc.).

Vintage Pernod Fils absinthe (if authentic and in good condition), is smooth, complex, herbal, and exhibits textures absolutely foreign and dissimilar to modern Pernod. In comparison, modern Pernod is terribly pointed, almost pungent, sweet, and is devoid of complexity.

By Ekmass on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Hello all, been a while since I last posted. But yesterday I had a unique opportunity to sample some vintage Pernod Fils. Apart from being wonderful, a fresh clean, but complex herb flavor combined with a nice suppleness, I was shocked by what else my tongue told me. It tasted like Pernod!

Now I do not mean to say it tasted like pastis nor that it was modern Pernod w/ absinthe. My freind and I did a side by side tasting after I pointed this out and the pastis tatsed like pastis and the absinthe, well, like absinthe. What I mean to say is that there is a flavor that is in both which gives it a Pernod stamp or what I now call the Pernod flavor. As a champange house must make the champange taste the same year after year with the flavor and style of that champange house, the same I find is true of Pernod. It really was an interesting discovery. To those of you who have vintage Pernod, I ask that you try a side by side and let me know your thoughts.
EM

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation