What keeps absinthe spoons in such good shape?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: What keeps absinthe spoons in such good shape?
By Etienne on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Take a look at the listings on eBay now. There are a few real dogs there. They didn't all survive in good shape. Like Ian says, a dealer with any sense will be careful about what they choose for stock.

By Maxpower on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 07:30 am: Edit

thanks for the info guys,

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 07:13 am: Edit

Some designs seem to fair better than others, you can find some grim stuff on flea markets. The ones that are traded are probably better than average because the dealers will have selected their stock. But remember although they may be over 100 years old, the wear they got was pretty minimal and they haven't been used for nearly 100 years either ;-)

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 06:20 am: Edit

Well, I have used some old absinthe spoons that realy looked old and torn out but those where of lower quality even 100 years ago.

I also think that the finest silver plated spoons may have been used only for special occasion. It's also possible that someone re-plated an antique spoon...

By Maxpower on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 06:14 am: Edit

are the spoons people sell and buy,just the cream of the crop,or do they just hold up real well over time?id think daily use,and just being around that long would have to take their toll.forgive me if this is a stupid question,ive always wanted to know,but to scared to ask.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation