Music like a glass of absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Music like a glass of absinthe
By Aion on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 04:17 am: Edit

A very special "Absinthe" CD is currently on
ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1489230981

Strange, dark, uneasy, sometimes unbearable
ambient soundscapes.
Fans of SPK, Lustmord, ... would love it.

A.

By Mr_Carfax on Thursday, November 22, 2001 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Well, sort of, it was the closest thread I could find to match my intentions....

Some friends have finally released a CD of their music (Devour Ensemble), and I thought it might be of vague interest to some people on the list...its kinda Nick Cave / Rachels / Swans genre...I pumped absinthe into them while they were recording some of the tracks so it seemed to fit the category of an absinthe fueled artistic endevour.

They have a couple of downloadable tracks on the website

http://www.devourensemble.com

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Well, it's dub - no wonder it's dubbed :-)
About every dub song is a transformed version of a (classic) rythm. One of the best ragga albums ever is "Heathen Chant" - a 74 minutes long variation of the Bob Marley "Heathen" rythm.

I haven't consciously known 'I Can See Clearly Now (The Rain is Gone)' and I don't regret. Too 'sunshiney' for me...

I just found I can't be that wrong on this song as it seems to have found its way to the playlists of Aba Shanti I and Jah Shaka, who also play a lot of other stuff from the guy behind Conscious Sounds (Dougie Wardrop).
That stuff is dance music - the bassline must shake your walls. Desktop speakers won't play it right...

But of course if you don't like dub then my argumentation is pointless...

By Artemis on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

Mix 1 is "I Can See Clearly Now (The Rain is Gone)" with trombones, which is not an improvement. The tempo feels like it's stuck in the mud. I had no trouble hitting the stop button before it was finished.

Are you sure it was the music and not absinthe that made you leap about :^) ?

By Heiko on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 04:09 pm: Edit

...a song that hits your mind just like a glass of good absinthe. First you 'taste' that it's good, but then you suddenly feel there's more about it and you start to smile and jump around to the rythm of beat as it takes you round and round and round...

Best about it is, it's free:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/125/conscious_sounds.html

I'm talking of the song(s) "release the chains" 'mix one' and 'mix three' (especially mix three).
It's not, like it's classified, "roots reggae", but it's driving upbeat stepper dub with horns and some kind of flanging guitar riff. No vocals, only sound that takes you round

Unfortunately, you can only d/l 'mix one', the other you can only listen to online.

...but if you really want to have it, d/l the file behind the "hifi-play" link (it's an .m3u file), open it with a text editor and copy the link from inside to your browser or d/l manager. I couldn't believe it works that easy. But it does :-)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation