Some new absinthes

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Some new absinthes
By Zman7 on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Heiko,
Are you in any position to contact Andy? I hope everything is alright.
MB

By Crosby on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Tonight, when I tried to go to German Andy's site, http://www.the-greener-site.de/, there is a message: "This site has closed...forever". Is there an updated address I'm not aware of? Otherwise it's a tragic loss.

By Aion on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Heaven help me, absinthe is produced commercially
in Austria too.
They insist, that their product is made according
to the original recipie, without any anise.
It is called "Mata Hari", sold for EUR 28 for
the 0,5 l bottle (60%).
Didn´t try it until now, but a friend told me it is garbage and tastes disgusting.

http://www.absinthe.at/
http://www.schnapsmuseum.com/

By Crosby on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Zman7,
Thanks for the site. My german is still servicable enough to make sense of it. It looks like Ulex would be the beter choice in German Absinthe, atleast for my for my tastes. I like bitter and I enjoy the sugar ritual which most of the spanish absinthes don't need.

Stephen,
Thanks!

By Etienne on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Welcome,Harry, glad to have you on board. It's about time! ;-)

Stephen

By Zman7 on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Crosby,
At German Andy's site (www.the-greener-site.de) I believe he has a picture and a brief description of Absinthus. If you can't read German, run it through one of the online web translators to get the gist. BTW, check out his updated website, quite cool.

By Crosby on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Hello, this is my fist post. First I'd like to say thanks for all the great information and interesting reading you all have made available.
I checked the archives and could not find anything about the German brand Absinthus that has become available at www.lafeeverte.de. I was wondering if any one has tried this brand and if so, what they thought of it.
Thanks-H

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Someday I'll try them (The Serpis brothers) back to back. I can't, from recollection, taste the difference.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I did a 360 when I tasted the new Serpis65 but not on the regular one. Even if I rated the regular Serpis "very low" at first and just "low" later, it has never been "toxic waste" rated. I would not buy another regular serpis but I would buy the 65 again.

Hermes is a no go, if they put another version on the market, I will taste it but until then, if possible, I recommend you to get a sample before ordering a bottle.

By Geoffk on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I don't think Hermes is great, but it's not quite as bad as Wolfgang makes out. It louches very well and tastes pretty much like Mari Mayans to me. Ted said pretty much the same thing--that it was ana average/mediocre product comparable to some of the Spanish products, but better than the worst. The jury is still out on whether is has any AA in it. Personally I doubt it.

I agree that it's not worth going to a lot of trouble to get. Especially since the stuff from SC is easy to get and just as good.

-- Geoff K.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Main Entry: des·ul·to·ry

1 : marked by lack of definite plan, regularity, or purpose
2 : not connected with the main subject
3 : disappointing in progress or performance : SLUGGISH

I won't let Wolf stop me. Seeing how he did a 360 on the Serpis.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Wolfgang, thanks for saving me from making any further desultory attempts to obtain Hermes.

Ted already has some, so I don't need to, and if it tastes as you describe, then I don't want to, either.

By Petermarc on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

someone! grab heiko's keys!

By Heiko on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 07:27 am: Edit

I'm so weak - I couldn't resist tasting some of the NS 70, too...

This time less than half a glass, with very much water, around 1:6.

Very good, indeed! The lemon is indeed almost not distinguishable anymore, that's good. Much wormwood taste with a strong alcoholic herbal background - "alcoholic" in a good sense, you only feel the alcohol on the tongue, not really taste it!

Could someone please carry me to my car, I need to drive to the library... What do you say, green girl with wings? I can fly with you? - OK, let's go! ;-)

By Wolfgang on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 07:11 am: Edit

Then pour another glass...

By Wolfgang on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 07:09 am: Edit

I add the chance (or the bad luck) of tasting this japanese absinthe Hermes...

It's YELLOW !
It smells like almond oil but not in a lovely kind of way, more like in a poisonous kind of way...
Alcohol, cheap cheap cheap alcohol.

It louch to a dirty yellow. It smell bad and it's undrinkable. There's a strong star anis taste and it leaves a bad bitterness aftertaste. I took a second sip to be sure and then it went down the sink. I can't beleive people realy drink this stuff.

My rating : toxic waste.

If you read the forum, thank you Claudia for the sample, I appreciate your gift, I just don't like the stuff...But anyway, now that you have tasted something better, I'm sure you understand...;-)

By Heiko on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

I added a lot of water to both (always happens when I pour half a glass). About 1:5, at least 1:4

But, as you said - much water is good with both Versinthe and Serpis 65. With the Serpis I could also use some sugar, it's not very sweet.

In addition to that I must say the water I used was only as cold as it came from the tap - I find some absinthes and pastis taste rather different when drunk with very cold icewater. Sometimes the other way than you'd expect: the La Bleue I have tastes good without sugar when mixed with ice-water, but needs a little sugar when mixed with not as cold tap water.

I still haven't finished that half glass of Serpis and my head already feels like it's filled with red fluid ;-)

By Wolfgang on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

I found out that if you want to taste the wormwood better, you have to add more water. Water dillute the other tastes but the bitterness of wormwood is so insistant that it will be the last remaining taste in the glass if you add too much water. The perfect ratio with NS70 and Serpis65 is about 1:5 to 1:6. With a 1/4 sugar cube, it's just perfect.

You'r right about the lemon taste in NS. It's probably melissa. It's not so prominent doo, it just gives it some freshness when you add enough water. Not enaugh water in NS70 will gives you a thick creamy oily drink. Not enough water (and sugar) in Serpis65 will give you that very alcoholic agressive drink. If you learn how to charm the red lady, you will soon find it very addictive...

About Versinthe, how many water did you add ?

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:50 am: Edit

Hurt the Lemon

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:45 am: Edit

Squeal like a pig!

Join Today

By Heiko on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:41 am: Edit

Serpis 65, I had to taste it as well - it's half past three and I'm drinking Serpis 65... (only half a glass).

It tastes kind of dry - it starts with a "red" flavor that is a little stronger than in the 55, this changes into some dry, well-known taste as it touches my tongue, but before I can say what it is, it tastes like wormwood.

It is strong, so much can I say - very alcoholic in a pleasant way, it doesn't taste too much like alcohol.

The half-full glass still seems half full, and I can't imagine how I could empty this now without being drunk. Haven't had much alcohol recently - I need to practise more ;-)

By Heiko on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:30 am: Edit

I was totally wrong about the Versinthe!!!

I just had to taste it, and it is way better than I thought. It is not too sweet, in my opinion. It is bitter, I taste some wormwood (or armoise, whatever...), mint (which is very good), while the typical Absente taste (badiane?) is much more subtle. This is good stuff! When I compare it to pastis, I like it better than Ricard and I could drink more of it than from HB. But it doesn't taste like your typical pastis as it is rather bitter - more than all of the Spanish absenta!

By Heiko on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:08 am: Edit

..well, new for me, only.

NS 70, Serpis 65 and Versinthe, together with two "old goodies", Deva 50 and Segarra.

I only smelt them right now because I have some things to do and don't want to be drunk, but I smelt something very interesting:

First, Deva. Haven't had it in a long time, but I still seem to like it. Smells fresh, much fennel - good! And cheap.

Second, Versinthe. I popped open the cork and already smelt it - ABSENTE. It smells like Absente, absolutely. It seems there's a little note of pepper in it that could make it more interesting - let's hope it tastes a little different from Absente (which is too sweet and, like Pernod, a little pungent on the black jellybean taste). Not worth the money, I already know before I tasted it...

Serpis 65. Smells like Serpis, but "redder". Can't say what it will be like...

NS 70. Smells like NS, with a little more alcohol, maybe (oh, really??? ;-) )
Head, I still smell that lemon stuff in NS. Just like in Montana and Herring. Very obvious to me - not even to be called subtle.

Segarra. No need to smell it, I know it's good!

I'm going to taste all of these, soon, I think.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation