Absinthe... from Hell!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Absinthe... from Hell!!
By Marccampbell on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 06:23 am: Edit

Michel Roux is a con artist. But fortunately his con is a bust. Absente is a commercial failure.
I manage several bars and nobody orders absente.
They do want a taste of the real stuff. I take care of that.

By Verawench on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 08:48 pm: Edit

And I'll say it once more, with feeling.

By Slamgybe on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I found this article printed in Entertainment Weekly regarding From Hell. Check out the reference to Absente.

Absente – Minded

Inspired perhaps by John Leguizamo’s tippling Toulouse-Lautrec in Moulin Rouge, absinthe, the bright green fin de siecle spirit, is back for a belle époque. (Other notable imbibers: Van Gogh and, more recently, Johnny Depp’s detective in the upcoming thriller From Hell.) Banned in the U.S. for some eighty years due to its kick from the toxic hallucinogen thujone, the “green fairy” is popping up Stateside in a refined (and legal) form called Absente. With only traces of the mind-altering drug, Absente maintains the original’s taste and color – and its ability to inspire. “It still gives you a sensation,” says Michel Roux, chair of Absente marketer Crillon Importers. “We just don’t want a product which is going to knock people down and put them in hospitals.” Or have them cutting off their ears.

- Allyssa Lee

Entertainment Weekly
Number 620
October 12, 2001

As Verawench said: ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

By Bjacques on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 04:15 am: Edit

Aww, please don't ruin it for me. I read the whole graphic novel and saw a reference to its being made into a movie. I hope it isn't "Moulin Noir" ("Moulin Sanglant?"). Judging by his interview in this week's "Onion," Moore decided in advance not to get in a lather if they make a hash of the book.

It'll be ages before I get to see it. My Ph1lmZ-snarfing friends don't grab movies unless they're Matrix(II?) or the X-Men.

It sounds like they combined Abberline somewhat with the dodgy psychic Lees.

Does Stephen Fry turn up in an Oscar Wilde cameo?

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 11:42 am: Edit

What is sad is that the real investigator was not an addict nor was he a psychic...and not nearly as handsome as dear Johnny...

I thought the movie was great...I have been an amateur ripper buff for years. It does a great job of retelling the story and filling in the gaps with legend. The murders were expertly retold, I am glad they didn't show the body of Mary Jane Kelly...not that you would be able to recognize her.

As far as absinthe is a fact that Depp drinks absinthe quite a bit, he did so on the set of Sleepy Hollow and lives in France...I should send him a bottle of bleue so he can get it right in his flicks from hence forth...

By Verawench on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 11:20 am: Edit

Well, here's part of the explanation: the movie was filmed in Prague.

By Cheri on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 09:36 am: Edit

Oh JOHNNY JOHNNY JOHNNY.. I will teach thee the proper way...............do not be an absinthe spaz..I have experience..and once you are taught well, you will be my absinthe/loveslave forever.

By _Blackjack on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

I wonder how Moore and Campbell (no, not Marc, Eddie) feel about this development...

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:29 pm: Edit

I think you must forgive Johnny Depp... as I highly doubt the bastardized Absinthe ritual was his idea... I doubt.

It probably goes more like this...

1. Johnny Depp (takes direction) takes a bath
2. Johnny Depp (takes direction) pours a swamp water-colored absinthe into a glass OVER A SPOMM (sic)
3. Johnny Depp (takes direction) puts a sugar cube on the spoon
4. Johnny Depp (takes direction) puts a few drops of laudanum over the sugar (discusses with director)
5. Johnny Depp (takes direction) lights the sugar cube on fire (tells director how wrong this is)
6. Johnny Depp (Is told he'll never work in this town again if he dosen't take direction, reluctantly he takes direction) drops the cube into the swampy looking absinthe and stirs it up real good with the spoon (rassafrassa fussamussa dagnabit)
7. Johnny Depp (takes direction) proceeds to have visions about whores getting murdered by Jack the Ripper (slowly fades into visions of young goth girls across the nation cursing his name, ruined, ruined, he thinks).

GIIIILLLLLLLBERRRRRRRTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Admin on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Gah! I knew he was supposed to be an opium head, but that sounds just vaguely retarded.

Though I don't expect them to be accurate as its a film about atmosphere and mood rather than being historically correct.

I will hopefully be seeing it on Sunday.

By Verawench on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:14 pm: Edit

I did not dispute that.

I want to bite off that little pout of his.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 10:11 pm: Edit

But he's so cute!

By Verawench on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

They've gone and done it again.

The new Johnny Depp movie, aside from being incredibly obnoxious, features the following absinthe ritual:

1. Johnny Depp takes a bath
2. Johnny Depp pours a swamp water-colored absinthe into a glass OVER A SPOMM
3. Johnny Depp puts a sugar cube on the spoon
4. Johnny Depp puts a few drops of laudanum over the sugar
5. Johnny Depp lights the sugar cube on fire
6. Johnny Depp drops the cube into the swampy looking absinthe and stirs it up real good with the spoon
7. Johnny Depp proceeds to have visions about whores getting murdered by Jack the Ripper.

ARRRRGGGHHHHH.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation