...what about Veille Maison / Herbe de Abelard?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: ...what about Veille Maison / Herbe de Abelard?
By Verawench on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

"You do NOT want to go to Fresno, Vera, trust me. Far too little beauty and FAR too much ruin."

Hehe... "I'll get there" was in reference to acquiring thick skin. I have no intention of going to Fresno.

"The Painted Bird" is a stunning piece of work. Polish literature needs more exposure.

By Rch427 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:53 pm: Edit

"...You do NOT want to go to Fresno, Vera, trust me. Far too little beauty and FAR too much ruin..."

On the other hand, I used to be able to pick up Allstates and the like for $50 there. Bought a Li150 Silver Special with 1,300 miles on it for $200, in the foothills just east of Clovis. Ah -- thems was the days.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

"Bah, I'll get there, eventually."

You do NOT want to go to Fresno, Vera, trust me. Far too little beauty and FAR too much ruin.

- M

By Rch427 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

OK, it's a bit of a stretch, but has anyone seen "Valerie and her Week of Wonders" -- a great surreal Czech film from 1970?

By Chevalier on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:40 pm: Edit

My God, the memories: a dark and crazy Hungarian beauty urged me to read it. (I did, of course. She was a nut, but an irresistable one.)

This same girl had an orgasm from reading the eyeball-popping-with-a-wooden-spoon episode in Jerzy Kosinski's THE PAINTED BIRD. She liked the way the kittens rolled the fallen eyeball around with their paws. Hey, I reasoned, whatever it takes ...

Nuts.

By Verawench on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

"One of the very few good consequences of having been a punk in Fresno (!) circa 1979-81 is having skin made of fine corinthian leather"

Bah, I'll get there, eventually.

"It's that damned stuffed black cat of Sabrina's that disturbs me"

Speaking of talking black cats, the coolest one ever appeared in Bulgakov's "Master and Margarita" (surprisingly, this is NOT a novel about S&M south of the border). The cat was the size of a hippo, rode streetcars, cheated at chess, drank vodka to excess and powdered his whiskers.

By Tavarua on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

"It's that damned stuffed black cat of Sabrina's that disturbs me."

Damn, how did I miss that episode?

By Tavarua on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Thats nothing, I used to date a fine Corinthian made of punk skin. Sassy little prankstress.

By Chevalier on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:00 pm: Edit

It's that damned stuffed black cat of Sabrina's that disturbs me, Heiko. I swear I can see the sawdust leaking out of it.

By Rch427 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Verawench --
Thanks for the clarification re. the "fucking moron" comment. Context is everything, apparently.

Anyway, one would have to try a lot harder to offend me. One of the very few good consequences of having been a punk in Fresno (!) circa 1979-81 is having skin made of fine corinthian leather.

Proost, etc.

-- Robert

By Chevalier on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Hazing rules dictate that the hazees who survive win the right to haze others. And they do. Oh boy they do.

By Heiko on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:53 pm: Edit

"but it always cuts off in the middle of some match, only to be replaced by a dubbed episode of "Sabrina""

So you get to watch butt after butt-kicking, that's a nice concept ;-)

By Verawench on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Robert - I was actually trying to be helpful. Actually, the "fucking moron" comment was in response to your newbieness. Most new forumites DO get flamed and Dr. O remarked on the gentle treatment you had received.

I was just trying to uphold a tradition, not state an opinion.

By Heiko on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

"Avoid drinking anything called 'absinth'."

There's actually two German absinthes that are quite good. I'm just drinking a glass of it. It's called "Absinthus", 55%, it has a nice (artificial) color, nice louche and tastes pretty good. I put it in the same class than Deva, NS, Serpis and so on. This is my "quite ok" ranking for any absinthe I like to drink sometimes and cannot say for sure which of those is "best" - it depends on my mood. Right now, I think Absinthus is better than Deva. I taste more wormwood, more bitterness and less fennel. They should make it 70% and it'd be great, I guess (not as sweet...).

But, Vera, they heard your call: I just found the label doesn't say "Absinth". It only says "Artemisia Absinthum" (which is not German, but plainly wrong...)

By Chevalier on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Head, gotta tell ya: here in Chile, Nestlé sells a popsicle called WWF. It's red and black and The Rock's all over it. Sundays, one of the networks here broadcasts WWF for hours (with Spanish language play-by-play)... but it always cuts off in the middle of some match, only to be replaced by a dubbed episode of "Sabrina".

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

He's a 'g' dropper... I like him already.

By Chevalier on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Welcome to the jungle, man: it's clear that you can hold your own.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Rob, that's just the kind of assholes we are.

And Chevy, you're Fuckin' "A" right. Me and Cheri are hunkerin' down at about 8pm EST for a heapin' helpin' of The People's Carmel Buttcakes.

By Rch427 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:27 pm: Edit

YOU TALKIN' 'BOUT MY MOTHER?!

Hey, maybe you've got something there...

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Robert- you are actually not getting (and how could you) a bit of a joke around here.

See, for a while there, off and on, whenever someone new would show up, they would get the hell flamed out of them.

Sometimes for saying something really dumb, but mostly just because there are some irascible people here. It has become a running joke, of sorts.

So anyway welcome! You son of a bitch. (that was a joke too...) :-)

By Chevalier on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

If it's Thursday, it must be headslam.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 01:02 pm: Edit

"I'm always amazed with the rudeness that some people think they can get away with just because they're communicating by computer."

But here's the gravy part of all that...

It's free! With two, you get eggroll.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Robert:

Any chance of posting some pictures?

BC

By Rch427 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Hmmm...
It seems that a few of you are a bit tightly-wrapped for allegedly being such hedonists. I suppose I'll respond to a few of your comments.

I said "thujones" for the same reason I say "THCs" when referring to tetrahydrocannabinols: because (as I understand it) there are more than one molecule type present.

You'll need to let the folks in Aix-en-Provence know that you're unhappy with their spelling of "Absinth". The French are unlikely to be impressed with your argument. "Absinth" it's spelled, but absinthe it is.

I never claimed anything about the relative quality of this particular beverage, but then, I'm apparently the only person on this board that's ever even heard of it, much less tried it. The winemonger wasn't "...boasting about thujone content...", merely verifying that it contained said compounds. There's a big difference.

Serpis, I've had, thanks. And a few others. I even made a beverage with everclear and mascerated, homegrown wormwood back in 1992, if you remember that far back. OK, it tasted terrible, but at least I'm not the newbie you might think.

As for "YOU FUCKING MORON!" -- why so churlish, "Verawench"? Unhappy with temping? New tattoo hurt? Devil Dolls wouldn't let you in their club? I'm always amazed with the rudeness that some people think they can get away with just because they're communicating by computer. I think it's a good rule to never treat a stranger different on-line than you would in person. Since I'm not applying for membership in the roster of people you think are "cool", I couldn't care less what you think of me. Having been a punk in the late '70s, a goth in the early '80s and a mod in the mid '80s, I got the peer-review subculture thing out of my system early. Apparently, you're still there.

Proost anyway

By Verawench on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Bah. Touche. But in general it's a pretty good rule.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Well, the Germans spell it "absinth" as well, and at least one German brand (Tabu) is supposedly drinkable.

By Verawench on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Oh! I guess I just assumed someone would flame him...

"If anyone has any specific questions or has any information, please let me know."

1. Avoid drinking anything called "absinth". Unless, of course you have no interest whatsoever in the Belle Epoque aperitif and are simply curious about the products available on the Czech green toxins market.

2. Thujone is not a mark of an absinthe brand's quality. In all probability, a seller boasting about thujone content is making horrendous swill - he can only sell it using outdated and very paranoid propaganda.

3. Try ordering from www.spiritscorner.com. Recommended are Segarra, NS and Serpis.

4. YOU FUCKING MORON!!! (someone had to do it)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Maybe he's talking about alfa- + beta-thujone. One thujone + one thujone = 2 thujones.

This is indeed becoming a kinder, gentler Forum when a newbie uses the T-word and all that happens to him is getting a grammatical correction...

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Keeping up with the thu-Joneses...

By Verawench on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

do you pronounce it thoo-ho-nes?

Or thoo-Jones?

By Verawench on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 06:23 pm: Edit

"contains thujones"

They're getting plural!! Dear god...

By Rch427 on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Thanks for the responses. I guess I may have found something different.

The label I already described, but it also has decent printing and non-gimmicky style, on a clear glass bottle in traditional red wine shape with a good cork, no foil.

The contents are pale peridot green and fairly clear with suspension of minute vegetal particles. It louched with room-temperature water into an attractive opalescent greenish-white, while never becoming cloudy.

I wasn't able to pick up on much more than anise in the flavoring, although (a) my palette has never been that acute and, (b) it's been a while since I've had other absinthes and even then I've only tried four. Three, if you discount Hill's.

Anyway! Pleasant if rather sweet. Very mild and drinkable, and the thujones kicked in nicely, especially after the second glass. If anyone has any specific questions or has any information, please let me know. I am, however, now retiring to bed as it's 11:30pm here in UnderwaterLand (Holland) where I expect to soon be dreaming pleasant green dreams.

Proost --

Robert

By Zman7 on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Absinthe spelled "Absinth" may be a clue......

By Petermarc on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

and remember, most commercial absinthes are like last week's dishwater...so, give us your thoughts...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 01:59 pm: Edit

new one for me...

By Rch427 on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

Please forgive my ignorance if this happens to be the most common absinthe in the world, fake absinthe or an expensive practical joke. I searched the La Fee Verte site as best I could and found no mention of the bottle I just picked up in Amsterdam. It's labeled "Absinth/Liquor Originale/Herbe de Abelard/Substances Vegetables/Produce en Aix en Provence/Veille Maison".

The winemonger here swears it's "real" (i.e., contains thujones) and had three different alchohol proofs available. Indeed, after about 2 ounces of it, I feel a nice warm absinth glow.

Can anyone speak from experience about this stuff? If it turns out to be obscure, I'll happily describe it in more detail; if it's last week's dishwater, I'll tuck my tail between my legs and go away.

Proost --

Robert in Rotterdam
(until recently of San Francisco)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation