Modern Fountain

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Modern Fountain
By Chrysippvs on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 07:32 pm: Edit

how much are the fountain and the brouille and/or the res. glass. I could not find where to order or the prices..

would make great X-mas presents..

By Heiko on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I love that Versinthe reservoir glass - but it's a little too expensive for a repro, I think.
Well, not that I have just ordered a repro glass with brouille (the glass 'fountain' to put on the glass) for the same price...
Don't know if it's really worth it, the glass isn't perfect, but the brouille thingy is just too sweet :-)

brouille

btw. I found this on the new site from the maker of Tabu, which is the best commercial absinthe site I've seen so far. No crap told, links to Andy, Ian and here - really good information. The new 73% Tabu is out now, as well. A little too expensive for my taste (30 Euro for 0.5l ...), but I'll give it a try.

By Chevalier on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

... inspired by ...

my picture

By Chevalier on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Yes, Dr. Ordinaire, you have just discovered the Lillie Langtry Memorial Fountain, inspired by ...

my picture

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 02:52 pm: Edit

coolfountain.jpg

By Verawench on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 05:53 am: Edit

Agreed with Heiko. Although it would be neat to have one of these babies mounted on a wall..

By Heiko on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 01:15 am: Edit

About the louche: I've seen a bottle of Pernod pastis getting flaky in the fridge (wasn't my bottle) and the label on Ricard bottles says you shouldn't keep them in the fridge.

Actually, that was the first thing I asked myself when I saw that nice fountain "would it harm the absinthe if it was iced from the cold water around it?"

btw. unfortunately it looks like the whole thing will fall over and break rather easily...

By Louched_Liver on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Todd,
Nice find slick. Says 16 oz. total. Should be plenty though. And, it looks easy enough to reload.

By Lint on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 04:09 pm: Edit

From the website "With the look of a modern glass sculpture, you can serve brandy from one spigot and sambuca from the other and truly dazzle your guests. Makes an extraordinary display piece, comes complete with glass lids and a funnel. Imported from Germany. Total capacity 16 oz. 15 1/2" H $99"

16oz total?

-Todd

By Artemis on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I'm sorry; I didn't notice that one of the taps draws from the main chamber, I only focused on the one that drains from the serpentine. I stand corrected - it might very well serve, especially for a single drinker. Personally, I would love to have one apart from its practicality, because it looks so nice.

By Lint on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

You think so Artemis?

It looked to me like it would hold several ounces of water in the main chamber, enough for a few glasses maybe. I could be wrong, kind of hard to tell demensions on it. And I understand Absinthe didnt go into original fountains, but it is a nice piece none-the-less and I think it would look pretty slick in a "modern" set.

-Todd

By _Blackjack on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Mari Mayans will get cloudy at the bottom if stuck in the freezer. Of course, I've never been sure how they kept that much star anise dissolved in the first place...

By Artemis on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 03:02 pm: Edit

That thing is more condenser than fountain (Leibig condenser? Don and Ted know the names for those lab glassware things).

Todd, be aware that absinthe doesn't go into the fountain, only water does. It doesn't look like it would hold enough water for more than one drink (maybe not even that). You'd have to have a continuous feed of water into it ...

On the other hand, it you wanted to use it to keep a few shots of absinthe (or other liquor) chilled, which is apparently the intent, it would work okay for that.

By Artemis on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Segarra will turn cloudy white in the refrigerator. I've never seen any other absinthe do so. Why Segarra does it, I have no idea.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 02:51 pm: Edit

"I had a bottle of cold Segarra (it was outside) and it was a wee bit cloudy with some floaties in it. Cleared up when it came to room temp."

Probably the anise. The anethole in the essential oil of anise forms scale-like crystals at 50°F.

I have never tried Segarra, does it have more anise than other absinthes?

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:39 pm: Edit

And if you're interested in reading about temperature and floaters (or floaties or whatever), do a keyword search for float. Quite a bit will come up from last year.

By Zman7 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Now I got it. The thread is "The homespun charm of fountaining."

By Zman7 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Todd,
Check the threads from about a month ago concerning homemade fountains. I think Artemis posted a picture of an imported Spanish bottle with a spigot (I don't remember the thread title). It is available from Specialtybottle.com in Seattle and is only $14.95 plus shipping. Myself and a few other Seattle absinthe drinkers got a few and they work great. Be sure to tell us your impressions after you get your order.

By Verawench on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I doubt it. Absinthe doesn't louche because of temperature but because of the water - I used to keep my spanish swill in the fridge.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

I had a bottle of cold Segarra (it was outside) and it was a wee bit cloudy with some floaties in it. Cleared up when it came to room temp.

BC

(Post contains absinthe content--you happy, V?)

By Lint on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:00 pm: Edit

You are correct in that I have yet to drink Absinthe. I should be receiving my bottles in a day or two from SC (Deva & NS). I had read in the archives of someone getting a bottle from the cold of their fridge (or outside, cant remember) and it had clouded, so thats why I wondered if the close contact of the water might affect the inner Absinthe reserve. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Im really thinking about getting this fountain when I have the money. I think Absinthe would look wonderful in it.

-Todd

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:56 am: Edit

No, Todd. "Louche" happens when the essential oils of the herbs, that had been dissolved in the alcohol (of the absinthe), come out of solution and become an emulsion in contact with the water.

Cold temperatures would not produce louche. (Though cold water improves it)

By Zman7 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:55 am: Edit

Todd,
I take it by your posts that you have never had the pleasure of a glass of absinthe. As long as the water and absinthe do not mix there will be no louche. Get your self to SC asap, place an order and eagerly wait by your porch until the delivery dude stops by....

By Lint on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:49 am: Edit

Would you be in danger of all of your Absinthe in the inner part louching because of the cold water around it?

-Todd

By Lint on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

I didnt wanna post URLs because I didnt want people pointing fingers at me saying I worked for one of these places. I can assure you I do not. I found both of these at:

http://www.kegworld.com/gifts.htm

Ive seen the mini still for $150, but this is the only place Ive seen this fountain.

-Todd

By Zman7 on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

Please, please post where you saw this! URL etc.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

Todd, could you tell us where did you find these beauties?

By Verawench on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

Gorgeous!

By Lint on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

While looking for more info on the tabletop still (See the Tabletop Distillation post) I found this nice fountain. At only $99 it seems pretty nice. Would need a lift to get an Absinthe glass under it.

fountain

-Todd

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation