Secondary Effects: Scenes of torrid debauchery and violent madness

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Secondary Effects: Scenes of torrid debauchery and violent madness
By _Blackjack on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 03:24 pm: Edit

I'm rarely hung over either, mostly because I have the liver of a Greek God. I am almost always sober before I go to bed, simply because I can't stay drunk...

By Verawench on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I'm rarely hung over... I seem to manage to wake up from drunken stupor while still mildly intoxicated and thus the feeling is of odd calm and gentle weariness - at worse, dehydration.

Hint: throw up BEFORE you pass out... there was that one time... oh lord.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 02:10 pm: Edit

"hypothermisize"

I'm going to have to consult the Book of Woofie on that one.

By Chevalier on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Well, you could always try contracting a nice little case of hepatitis A. Then, be sure not to lie in bed for the next month or two. That should limit the pace and scope of your drinking quite nicely, unless liver failure is yer cuppa tea.

By Tavarua on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I enjoyed the ghetto, North Side, more than the Sticks, i.e. Fruitland, South Side. Not to mention we payed $525.00 total for a four room house, per month on the North Side. There is something always going on in the low rent sections. Salisbury is a wierd place, don't get me wrong I loved it, but take Camden Ave. On one side you have these beautiful Victorian and modern houses, on the other, you have straight hood.

By Meat_Nipples on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 11:21 am: Edit

Yeah, alcohol-induced amnesia is very rare for me. As for a hangover, I lucked out. Felt very dehydrated the next morning as usual when I over indulge, and embarrassed. I didn't hit the NS to hard, my biggest fear upon waking the morning after was that I had swilled it all down like a wild beast. I think that goddamn grain alcohol concoction was what put me over the edge. The walking home alone part wasn't what was scary, it was the fact that I was doing so while violently screaming incoherent accusations in a somewhat unsavory neighborhood (Tav, it's that little ghetto apartment area behind the superfresh across from the school, it's full of college students and poor black people). At least I stayed out of Fruitland (Tav knows what I am talking about, there are some bad neighborhoods down there).
Ah, the lessons we must learn the hard way. No more mixing absinthe with other drinks for me. Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad the title didn't cause me to get flamed. "Where's the debauchery?" you might ask. To that I answer, my bottle of NS is still over half full and that chapter yet to be written..........
Do I get melodramatic points or what?

By Louched_Liver on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 10:46 am: Edit

Vera and Heiko have nailed it.I totally agree w/them on the subject of beer and absinthe. Both times I've made this mistake (you'd think I'd learn after the 1st) the results were the same-it sucked!! Absinthe seems to magnify the bad effects of beer, the grogginess, and the hangover. Dogboy once mixed a lot of both and ended up sleeping in the dirt at our campsite. And he usually maintains himself very well in the face of vast quantities of imbibing.
And I totally agree w/Heiko about pacing your absinthe consumption. I've done the same thing-waking up the find the bottle about 2-3 inches lower than I thought it should be, and a bigass void at the end of the night in my memory.

By Heiko on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:54 am: Edit

Your description is similar to something I found out about too much absinthe:

The next day you'll ask your friends "hey, who of you has drunk all that NS?" And they tell you it was you and that you had something like two or three huge glasses of it after your own memory blacked out. And the best (or worst?) about it is: for the others, you still seemed to be not that drunk, you were rather active and talkative, you didn't get sick either, only you can't remember what you have done (and some things you apparently have done appear rather strange to you the next morning).

Be careful with too much absinthe, you feel better and better drinking more and more, but suddenly it's like a button pushed in your brain and you remember nothing from that point on...

I guess this is because with other drinks, you'd be so drunk at the same amount of alcohol that you couldn't move anymore, so nobody would care how drunk you are. With too much absinthe, you will still be able to walk and talk (but not remember...)

By Heiko on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:40 am: Edit

drinking absinthe and beer is not something I'd like to do again. Had that two weeks ago... It wasn't even that much absinthe, only about five glasses in a few hours. The devil knows what made me drink 1.5 l of beer afterwards at a party...
Result: Some things I can't remember, some things I do remember and find them rather embarassing, the next day was hell (headache!)
Have I mentioned that two of the absinthes were Hill's ? I'm not kidding, someone offered it proudly to me, so I had to drink one glass. Then, we had no other drinks available, so I had another one...

By Tavarua on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:39 am: Edit

"angrily started walking home by myself", "My place is a about a mile away"

Thats nuffin. I use to walk from the Monkey Hole, Flying Club, Brew City or parties to North Old Town on a regular basis. It was wierd, I would just duck out of parties or bars without telling my friends all the time. I would get bored and leave. They used to get pissed, but eventually got used to it. Anyway sounds like you had an interesting night.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:39 am: Edit

Oneirogenic?

By Verawench on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:19 am: Edit

Try not to mix beer and absinthe. I don't know about everyone else, but I do my best not to mix my poisons. And also, not getting UTTERLY shitfaced helps to avoid embarrassment, sickness, or temporary change in sexual orientation :P

More than anything, it's one's emotional state that explains any "weirdness" that happens while drinking.

As for intense dreams, Mari Mayans sounds a bit unlikely, but absinthe is known to.. damn... if I could remember that great word Blackjack had for "dream-inducing"...

By Meat_Nipples on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

I received my first order of Spanish absinthe Friday and didn't try it until Saturday. I had one glass of NS 70 and found it very pleasant. Relaxed but not dopey like some drinks make me. As I posted under a different topic, the NS has a wonderful taste as well. After this I had some business to attend to and then I went to a party. I left my absinthe in my van and said it was off limits. Well, after two boring beers I fixed myself a glass of the green goddess and sipped it slowly. After that, I went about drinking more beer and jungle juice (kool aid and grain). The party had a really nice vibe to it, as I knew just about everyone there, and I got lost in the craziness.
This is where, as my girlfriend tells me, that I poured myself a very generous helping of NS. She said despite the fact that I was obviously getting drunk, I poured my glass slowly and neatly without spilling any water on the counter top (an impressive feat when using SC's die cast spoons). I don't remember this. Anyway, at about 2:30 in the morning I passed out. My breathing was fine and everything, I just got tired and went to sleep. When I woke up around 4:00 to leave, however, things got a tad out of hand. I politely said good bye to everyone at the party, commenting on how much fun I had had etc. My place is a about a mile away and we had been planning on walking back (me, my girl, and a small group of friends).
When I left the party I immediately hopped into my van to find that my keys had been, thankfully, taken from me. Out of nowhere I went off. I said that if I was not allowed to drive I would "hypothermisize". I accused my friends of trying to kill me. After several attempts at starting my car with the wrong set of keys, I angrily started walking home by myself. I said some mean things to my friends and then I went from anger to sobbing and apologizing for my behavior in a matter of minutes. Thank god I have such kind friends as they all still like me and can laugh at it all now. I know the absinthe was not the cause of this out burst, I have been very stressed out and a bit depressed lately. I have never acted mean or violent from getting drunk though, and I, as a college student, get loaded often. I am wondering if something in the absinthe may have contributed. I did notice that something in the drink has an extremely stimulating effect. It almost masks the effects of the alcohol. It may be the anise because I swear I have noticed this with Pernod too. I know that my first two glasses produced a lovely lucid relaxation and peacefulness. Perhaps the green fairy didn't like the beer and "jungle juice" ;-) ? Who knows, but I am certain I am going to be more prudent next time. A friend of mine had two glasses of his Mari Mayans and said that he had wonderful dreams that night also. The secondary effects are subtle but I think there is something to it. i think it is alchemical because it really doesn't make sense otherwise. Any thoughts?
Don't flame me for claiming there are secondary effects. Itís not like I shot a hole through my homosexual lover's hand or cut off part of my ear.
Meat

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation