Just a little advice please

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Just a little advice please
By Abszim on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 04:33 am: Edit

Ok, I agree that La Fée is very expensive, but on the other hand if you compare the price with a night surfing around in bars you can easily spend a lot of money (here for example Sebor costs up to 10 euro/ 4cl, only decent absinthe brand what you can get in Finland).
So, in that perspective I´m ready to pay the price IF it´s something different. How would you compare it to Spanish brands ( Segarra, Serpis65 or N.S70) is it different. I know that it´s a matter of taste, but I would appreciate your opinions.

zim

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 03:47 am: Edit

that was 'our' taxes, can't seem to type this morning...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 03:44 am: Edit

Yeah, I think out taxes are the highest in the Eurozone but who said taxes were fair? I get charged VAT on goods that I import from the US, what value has been added in the UK? None.

By Heiko on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 02:39 am: Edit

If the UK government charges that much tax, then why do I have to pay English tax for a French product delivered to Germany? ;-)

The new Tabu costs 60 Euro per liter at www.loewenshop.com . Too much for me to drink it regularly. Segarra is all that I can afford sometimes (at about 40 Euro per liter, including shipping).
Other 70% absinthes sell for 30-35 Euro per liter in Germany, so our tax cannot be too high (not like 20 pounds, oh my god...)

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 02:08 am: Edit

It would be interesting to see what the retail price of Tabu 72 is when it is released, as that would seem to be the nearest comparative commercial product to La Fée in terms of quality and strength. I don't know what tax and duty rates are in Germany but here in the UK we pay around £20 a litre duty on pure alcohol and VAT is £3.50 on top of that. If anyone is price gouging it is the UK government. However when La Fée stands next to Mari Mayans and Hills, both at £45 a 70 cl bottle, it look like good value to most buyers.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Cool, maybe Venus ought to carry it!

I think every type of alcoholic drink has its own special character, especially those with herbal components.

For those curious to experiment with this one, I think it works out to around $20 a bottle when shipped to the USA. The shipping is the expensive part.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Perruche, I have some personal info on Mirto. I was in Sardinia in '98 (racing Sardinia Race Week in a 78 foot maxi sailboat, "Alexia", owned by an Argentine millonaire (may the Gods bless him with longevity!).

Mirto is supposed to be an aphrodisiac.

The myrtle was supposed to be sacred to Aphrodite. Since I'm not close to her, I can't tell.

However, I consumed large amounts of mirto, and, well, it was a different buzz. But then, consuming large amounts of ouzo was a different buzz.. so it was with raki...

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:35 pm: Edit

"BTW, the name mescaline has nothing to do with mescal (either plant) but was derived from the Mescalero indians."

OK, I didn't know "mescal"...

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Some information on another liqueur of some repute:

I recall some posts a while back in praise of mirto rosso, the red myrtle liqueur of Sardinia.
It was claimed that this stuff can't be exported -- but I did a search for it and apparently
it's available online:

http://www.sardiniashop.it

In the English version, you have to go to the
"Shop" section and search for "mirto" to find it.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:11 pm: Edit

A little clarification here: there is the mescal bean (that is highly toxic), the mescal plant (Sophora secundiflora) which is a maguey and the source of the fermented drink "pulque, and mescaline, the most active alkaloid in the peyote cactus.

BTW, the name mescaline has nothing to do with mescal (either plant) but was derived from the Mescalero indians.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:47 pm: Edit

"and there were indeed some secondary effects"

Ernst Jünger called his friend's (Dr. Hoffmann's) LSD "a kitten compared to the tiger mescaline"

Maybe it's only a matter of quality (and/or quantity).

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Mezcal you buy in the US will not induce visions.

A friend gave me a bottle he'd brought from Mexico, and there were indeed some secondary effects. The colors got a *lot* brighter, and I felt connected to everything.

Went for a walk in the woods, scared some high school cross country runners. It was fun.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I've heard so many stories about being drunk from beer - if I wouldn't know beer, I'd think it must be the most evil, crazy drug on earth...

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 03:31 pm: Edit

I'm just going to keep drinking eggnog until the nutmeg gives me visions...

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Your point is respectfully noted. Just for comparison's sake, there are those who claim that Mezcal gives 'visions'. It just gives me a bad headache...but maybe that is the precursor to hallucinations? Anyway, there isn't any wormwood in that one.

I feel that qualifying an isolated alcohol-related story at face value is difficult, as they tend to be exaggerated to say the least...as a result of the alcohol no less! If you're feeling 'experimental' however, anyone can order Frenet from one of the Czech absinth distributors. Frenet is very popular bitter aperitif in Czechia. FWIW, I know a couple of people who drink a lot of it, but no mention was ever made of hallucinations. Someone who suffers from nervous disorders from alcholism may feel differently.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

"Seriously though, if you are looking for hallucinations, you'll need drugs."

Ted, I copy you, but I still think it is interesting that someone, 25 years ago, who had never heard of absinthe, speaking of a drink called Fernet, would use the word "hallucinations".

And now I learn that that drink has wormwood.

Since I ain't no biochemist, I will draw no conclusions....

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Back to the impertinent pricing of La Fée:

They sell 0.005l miniatures (that means two small glasses) for 7.80 Euro.

I can get two glasses of Serpis in a trendy nightclub in Stuttgart for a little more. I'm talking about a club where you have to pay 3 Euro for a small bottle of Becks.

Nobody can tell me La Fée is worth buying at nightclub-prices - they're gonna go broke as soon as everybody has tried it once. A handful of forumites who also spend hundreds for some La Bleue won't keep the whole business alive.
Let's see when their prices are going to fall rapidly...

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Fernet Branca, Stock Fernet, etc. are herbal liqueurs that enjoy popularity in Europe (especially Eastern Europe). I don't find them to be particularly tasty, and I've had quite a load of one very popular Czech brand with two Czech girls. Rest assured that what I saw after that was not a hallucination. Seriously though, if you are looking for hallucinations, you'll need drugs.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:48 am: Edit

The link I provided was from Branca NY.
But of course, it's not sure what they exactly mean with wormwood. They might also use southernwood.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:44 am: Edit

Strange -- yet, this stuff is available in the U.S. and has been for some time. Is this another case of an FDA-approved formula being available here, while the "good stuff" stays in Europe?

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:41 am: Edit

http://www.brancaproducts.com/pages/herbs.html

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

"I was told once that you would hallucinate if you got really drunk on it."

"I think it contains wormwood amongst a lot of other secret herbs and spices"

I think this is, at the very least, interesting. Some 25 years ago someone told me that this Fernet could, in large amounts, produce hallucinations. Now Heiko tells us that it contains wormwood.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:34 am: Edit

Ted? He's busy analyzing the contents of that fetus jar.

By Verawench on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:19 am: Edit

Where is Ted?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

Fernet Branca is quite commonly used as a hangover remedy/tonic/digestiv, it is even sold in Bangkok, and I know it is very popular in Argentina.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:45 am: Edit

Fernet Branca is an italian aperitif/digestiv and "it's said to have magical powers" (at least commercials say so...).

I think it contains wormwood amongst a lot of other secret herbs and spices and it tastes and feels like the evil brother of Jaegermeister.

It seems to be a very popular drink in Italy (and it is really good after dinner as soon as you got used to the taste)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

When I was a kid there was in Argentina a "liqueur" called "Fernet Branca". It was drunk mostly by old people as an aperitif, I was told once that you would hallucinate if you got really drunk on it.

"Fernet" sounds vaguely Catalan. Anybody has any info on this?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

I was tempted when it first came out -- but no.

In Valparaiso, Chile -- once South America's most prosperous port city -- I just came across an old bottle of home-grown pastis. It's the first evidence I've found that Chile once made its own pastis -- and perhaps before that, absinthe. The label strongly resembles some of the old absinthe labels (white background, silver scrollwork, red-and-navy lettering). There's a handsome silver condor perched under the name: PERNAUT 45, ELIXIR DE ANIS "CALIDAD EXTRA". Virgilio Brusco e Hijos, Yungay 2480 - Valparaiso - Producto Chileno.

An old company, Virgilio Brusco e Hijos still exists, though it no longer manufactures pastis. I'm planning to visit it and do some absinthe history sleuthing. Will keep you informed ...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

Oh, BTW, she told me it is incredibly popular down there, it's served in every bar.

Don, Ted, you might want to reconsider making quality absinthe...it seems it's the crappy ones that make money...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

Has anybody tried Camargo? My ex brought me 2 bottles from Brazil a couple months ago.

I was more than willing to root for a fellow South American, but in my limited experience with commercials (La Fee, Absente, Oxygenee, MM, Hills) this is the closest to Hills I have tried.

No louche, no depth, no anything.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:08 am: Edit

Neto Costa, the nectar of dreams ;-)

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:48 am: Edit

Granted. ... sigh ...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

that is not a consolation...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:18 am: Edit

And it's never fun when SC tells me it doesn't ship to South America, where I (and millions of others) happen to live.

Nonetheless, there's a café in Sao Paulo called L'Absinthe (Av. Hélio Pellegrino, 1170 - Vila Olímpia, Tel.: (0xx11) 3849-3663) which serves Absenta Neto Costa.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:55 am: Edit

"We also don't have a problem (in most cases) paying two or three times the amount of an items value."

Considering the current exchange rate for the USD, you NEVER pay 2 to 3 times more. When we pay the same price, it is about 2 times less for you.

We'll talk again when the exchange rate has dropped to a '94-ish level.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

Aion,

that weinco navigation applet is impertinent - it screwed up my hole system and destroyed the last half hour of work on the essay I had just opened (and not saved yet)...
This Win98 SE installation is definitely too old to work properly (older than two months...) but I'm going to install Win2k pro soon, anyways.

Head,
I losen the purse strings for unnecessary computer parts only (but I also have a limit - i.e. graphics boards that cost more than 250$ are made exclusively for the insane, IMO)
La Fée would have to be properly distilled, naturally colored and kissed by the pope to justify its price...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

Abzsim, let me add that we (us stateside folks) don't have much control over the prices. We also don't have a problem (in most cases) paying two or three times the amount of an items value. So when I said it was good and worth exploring keep in mind I payed more than what most people would have to pay for it in Europe.

Heiko, loosen up those purse strings once in awhile.

By Aion on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

Heiko,
Visit: www.weinco.at
"Sortiment / Wein / Niederösterreich / Wachau"
and scroll down the list to F.X. Pichler´s
Rieslings.
Than you get an idea, what impertinent is.

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:00 am: Edit

La Fée is extremely overpriced. Oxygenee is nice if you live in Paris and buy it around the corner for 25$ a bottle, but not for more.

IMO, no absinthe is worth more than 40 Euro for one liter. If it's more expensive, I might try it, but never buy it again (like the new Tabu that is about 60-70 Euro a liter. I ordered half a liter to give it a try, but I find that price rather impertinent)

By Larsbogart on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:30 am: Edit

my opinion? ordering la fee or oxygenee is just throwing money out the window. especially the la fee. well oxygenee too. you can try this site but it wont be available for a month: http://www.narbey.com/pontarlier/index.html

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:07 am: Edit

is vomitting a secondary effect?

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 04:39 am: Edit

Hill's is rather strong on secondary effects (in my opinion) I was surprised by that recently. Don't expect any other absinthe to give you a lot more effects than that.
Nevertheless it tastes like mouthwash.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 11:24 pm: Edit

La Fee is very good and worth exploring.

By Abszim on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Hiya, I have been around for quite a while now and posted a few times way back (have been mostly reading the posts passively). Now I liked to have a couple of opinions. I was wondering or actually have been for quite a while now, should I order La Fée. I have tasted the Spanish absinthes from SC ( Segarra and now Serpis 65 are my favorites), hated the Czech absinthes and now naturally waiting for Jade.
I mean, I can get two bottles of Segarra with the same price that I would have to pay for one bottle of La Fée. I know that Jade will be something totally different, but in the meantime is La Fée worth of exploring?

Zim

By _Blackjack on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 07:15 pm: Edit

And it is unlikely you will feel much of anything but drunk. At best you will fee a little less drunk than you really are. Avoid moving quickly.

By Zman7 on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Mr. Cat,
There is much to sample out there so I will give you my humble recommendations. Absinthe NS 70, Segarra, Deva 70. If you insist on a Czech, make it Sebors. If you've been lurking long enough you will know that SC will treat you right in your ordering.
MB

By Copycat on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 05:51 pm: Edit

i understand that, but our thoughts were "i don't feel anything but drunk yet, maybe we should drink more." I realize now that we drank crappy stuff and we went about it in the wrong way. I want to try it again the right way with good stuff.

By Heiko on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Whatever you drink - when you have seven shots of a 70% drink this makes about as much alcohol as in 2.5 l (or 7-8 bottles) of 5% beer.
Don't expect any other absinthe to not make you really drunk when consumed in these amounts...

By Copycat on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Hi, I've been reading your board for a little while now, and a dance with the green fairy sounds appealing. I have had some experience with absinthe earlier this summer not knowing what to expect. I spent some time in the czech republic and had a bad experience with Hills (in which i did seven shots, comforted my friend while she puked, and pissed in the hallway of the hotel). I swore never again would I drink this terrible stuff. Well, when I got back to the states I decided to do the research I should have done before experimenting. I've been reading quite a bit and would like to give it another shot, only this time, I want to do it with good stuff and the right way. Myself and two of my buddies want to try it and would like to know which brand we should order. We are looking for equal parts taste and effect. Now, I know what your thinking. We are not a bunch of college kids looking for a quick thrill, or drunk, or high. We just want to sit back and relax with a good drink. Any brand recommendations would be helpful, along with some sort of price estimate. Thanks for your help.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation