Turns out, its all Bjork's fault.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Turns out, its all Bjork's fault.
By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 02:16 pm: Edit

i think it's the brits that are the source of the bad ads...if not for green bohemia, hills would be an eastern european curiosity...and, sad to say, most of us would not be here...

By Verawench on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

I wonder if there are any Czech laws against false advertising...

Seriously, isn't anybody else getting tired of JUST groaning and snarling at their bullshit campaign?

By Cheri on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:00 am: Edit

L'absinthe rend fou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:21 am: Edit

They used to call it Ulex Absinth, but then they can't have it classified as a bitter, so the Absinth had to make way to "Ordinaire"

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Oh well, no big deal - Ulex Ordinaire "strong" is indeed allowed to contain up to 35mg/kg thujone because it's classified as a "bitter". And that says it all. It's bitter.

I haven't tried it and I don't regret...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

Relax, Doc: In Ulex's case, "ordinaire" means mediocre.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:09 am: Edit

"Ulex Absinthe Ordinaire"? ORDINAIRE????

BLASPHEMY!

Anybody can recommend a good lawyer?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:02 am: Edit

And here's another dysfunctional absinthe, now making the rounds on eBay:

"You'll not found any other Absinth with so much Thujon.( 10 mg was the most i've ever seen before. This Ulex-Absinthe has 30mg!! This IS the real stuff of legends ... This is difficult to aquire, and therefore the bidding starts at £30. (A 0,7liter bottle, 70% 30mg Thujon). I have sought only what is REAL ABSINTHE, and filtered out the rest, so you dont have to waste your time and money, as well as other international hassles.

Experience the legendary tonic called 'Absinthe' this bottle is a very high quality bottle called "Ulex Absinthe Ordinaire", and it is from the original recipe, and has a very strong "absinthe effect" as well as a delicious flavour ..."

By Heiko on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

Blooming imagination these guys have over there in Czechia ;-)

But it reminds me of a nice anecdote: back in the 60's (I was told, obviously) my grandma used to put miniature schnapps bottles on the garbage cans for the guys from the garbage collection. When more and more Turkish men started working there, she wondered why still all of the bottles were empty every time they had emptied the cans. She then asked one of them once if he was allowed to drink alcohol. He replied: "Allah great, but Allah far away!" waving his hand in the opposite direction ;-)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

more likely, that they were not soldiers...
which seems to be a french specialty, hence, the foreign legion...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:44 am: Edit

Ah, but how clever those soldiers were! They managed to convince Allah that they weren't French.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

also, the french NEVER drink tea with milk...that is an english thing...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:38 am: Edit

'fool the eye of allah'

fuck me to tears....

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:34 am: Edit

From the "Listerine Absinth" website FAQ:

Why is this marvelous, irresistible nectar of oral hygiene called ABSINTH?

The name ABSINTH (properly spelled without a final "e") was coined by Napoleon I. Noting that Marshal Ney, a notoriously toothy inbiber, spent more more time gargling, grinning and giggling than gaining enemy territory, the Emperor ordered Ney to "absent himself" from the battle of Austerlitz. The nonplussed Ney went on to promote the use of herbal mouthwash among the Imperial Guard. Algeria was his final stop ...

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:00 am: Edit

From the Hill's website FAQ:

Why does French-style Absinthe cloud when sugar and water are added?

This is due to the French tradition dating back to its colonial wars when French soldiers returning from Algeria popularized Absinth in France. Absinth, drunk by the soldiers and their Muslim allies was made to cloud to fool the Eye of Allah into thinking this intoxicating spirit was really tea with milk, or so the soldiers thought!

Why is Absinth suddenly popular now in the UK?

Absinthe was banned in France and many other countries including the USA because of its so-called hallucinogenic effects on the mind. Hill's Absinth was rediscovered in the Czech Republic in the mid 90's by Bjork and her band, The Sugar Cubes who were there to see where the first sugar cube was invented. They brought Hill's Absinth back to Iceland with them and spread the word to England where some enterprising individuals, known as Green Bohemia started to market Hill's in the UK with much press and success

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation