Absinthe prices and absinthe dishes

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Absinthe prices and absinthe dishes
By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

I've heard that the bottom-end absinthes were VERY cheap. In a sense, the absinthe industry hydra drowned in its own poisonous bile. Imagine Pernod's frustration: first, at having its name usurped relentlessly; then, at having rotgut wipe out the drink's legality.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Marc, I only copied the absinthe part of the list, but the other drinks were amazingly inexpensive compared to the green fairy.

A good champagne was something like 3 times the price of Pernod.

It is interesting to think that the same Pernod that now commands four digit prices (in dollars!) was probably a low class drink, for "artistes" and workers...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:56 am: Edit

Ok. I wonder, though, if anyone knows what fin de siecle franc value would be in today's franc. How expensive was Pernod absinthe in relation to, say, today's Pernod pastis?

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:48 am: Edit

Marcus, I'm talking absinthe prices at the turn of the century vs prices on dishes at the same time.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:46 am: Edit

Hang on ... have you adjusted the franc prices for inflation? A franc in 1905 has to be more than a franc today, correct?

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

Some time ago someone posted this price list, for one liter bottles:

Oxygenee Cusenier 65 Verte ou Blanche: 2.10
Pernod Fils 68 Verte ou Blanche: 2.00
Berger 65 Verte: 1.75
Edouard Pernod 65: 1.65
Romans 65: 1.65
Junod 65: 1.65
Premier Fils 65: 1.55

Now, one liter yields some 30 plus one ounce shots.

Let's look at a modern equivalent. Say Johnnie Walker Red Label. A bottle is some...30 bucks? (Marc, I may need some help here, being neither a whisky drinker nor a night-club owner) and a shot is, retail, what, 4...5 bucks?.

That is, the cost of the "drink" retail is about 15% of the bottle.

This would mean that an "absinthe shot" in the Belle Epoque should have cost some 30 cents (centimes?). Assuming you were drinking the best.

Does that mean that every dish with a price over 50 cents is a post-Prohibition item? With so many cafes it's hard to believe that anyone could gouge customers...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation