Absente Ads

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Absente Ads
By Geoffk on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Yes and no. I mean, the "effects" (such as they are) and mystique are just as good with Stars'o Plenty or Hills as they are with Slerpis. At least the first two are (sort of) greenish. Yet, most of us prefer Serpis, because it doesn't taste like it's been drunk and recycled. Even between closer choices (say, Montana and Deva), people here have a strong preference.

Do people prefer Serpis (red) to Montana (green) because of the absinthe mystique (not likely), because Serpis has better "effects" (doubtful) or because it probably tastes better (bingo) ?

That having been said, most people here do prefer the absinthe buzz to the vodka/gin/rum/chartreuse buzz. But they also like the taste better...

-- Geoff K.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Verushka, BJ, I'm with you. The problem is that we seem to have to choose between two bogus alternatives: "Thujone is everything" or "Thujone is nothing".

What about (for internal Forum consumption only)"Thujone is something"?

I hate to sound like Artemis, but, man, I'm getting tired of this thujone thingy...

By Verawench on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:41 pm: Edit

"The emphasis should be on the use of proper INGREDIENTS, in order to create the right flavor, rather than the right CHEMICALS to produce a certain effect."

I really don't think we're just a bunch of epicureans, BJ.

I guess I'm still thinking in terms of marketing, but you will never escape absinthe's Belle Epoque charm when trying to sell or make the stuff. Nor will most drinkers deny that the subtle "secondary effects" are part of the appeal.

By Verawench on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:35 pm: Edit

"Should we ignore this molecule because some people misuse or misinterpret or over-expect-too-much-from-it?"

No, but for the sake of the battle, we need to knock it off its podium as the culprit of absinthe's "effects". And that's the most key thing right now, at least for as long as the green fairy's notoriety holds strong the bullshitters continue spamming the naive market.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Yes, but the presence of thujone, while indicative of the presence of wormwood, is NOT of any consequense insofar as the classification or quality of the drink are concerned. You could add pure thujone to pastis, and it still wouldn't be absinthe, because it lacks wormwood.

The emphasis should be on the use of proper INGREDIENTS, in order to create the right flavor, rather than the right CHEMICALS to produce a certain effect.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Sorry, BJ, you cannot have one without the other.

I'll quote Ted here:

"If a product is distilled such as to exclude the absinthium initially employed, then it is effectively absinthium free. Therefore, effectively it is not absinthe. After all, the most basic definition of absinthe we can come up with is a liqueur which contains a detectable (if not significant) concentration of absinthium. Quite plainly, no absinthium = no absinthe. Since thujone is the predominant component, and has a bp similar to ethanol, it is the clear and logical indicator."

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:16 pm: Edit

You can de-emphasize thujone without de-ephasizing wormwood. Thujone or no thujone, it isn't absinthe without wormwood.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 10:13 pm: Edit

"To imply that somehow we've encouraged persons to buy Absente or other bogus products is just ludicrous."

TouchE, Ted. You're right. You guys have never done that. However, I still think that you guys have de-emphasized (sp?) thujone too much. Thujone is not ALL in absinthe, but is not NOTHING either.

Should we ignore this molecule because some people misuse or misinterpret or over-expect-too-much-from-it?

I'm aware that this is a delicate dance for you guys. On the one hand you have the college un-educated crowd, looking for a high, and on the other hand you have the over-educated crowd, nitpicking.

Man, I'd hate to be in your pants...

For whatever it's worth, I'm on your side..

By Verawench on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Ignorance, more than anything else, still acts as Absente's best friend.

I've been to liquor stores with friends who glimpsed Absente on the shelf and tugged excitedly on my sleeves. They assumed they had found something mysterious and forbidden... something that had found its way to a local retailer by mistake or by the shop keeper's naivete.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Maybe a "Forum Surgeon General: Warning Label" should be imposed on their product.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Like much absinthe-related information, recent educated opinions with respect to the age-old thujone theory appear virtually nowhere outside of this forum. To imply that somehow we've encouraged persons to buy Absente or other bogus products is just ludicrous. The (few) people who buy Absente under the premise that it is real absinthe aren't even aware of the existence of this forum.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:42 pm: Edit

It is sad, Todd, but not unexpected.

For a long time now absinthe's high priests have been hammering the message that "Thujone is unimportant", "Thujone is a moot point", "Thujone? Never heard of it". Can they now blame the people for listening?

So people go and buy Absente or Versinthe or other emasculated version of true absinthe.

"Those who pursue the wrong ideals are usually punished with success".

By Lint on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Has anyone else seen these popping up in mags? Theres a large Absente add on the back of the latest issue of the Onion (print). Somewhat fitting.

todd

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation