Art, Absinthe and Creativity...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Art, Absinthe and Creativity...
By Verawench on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 06:11 pm: Edit

they're no friends of mine!!

By Artist on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 06:07 pm: Edit

well,

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

We can drink if we want to, and we can leave your friends behind, cause your friends don't drink and if they don't drink...

By Verawench on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

thujone_dance

By Artist on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

,/-|__.. |========| |00000000|
O--OO~O---------O~O--------O

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 05:23 pm: Edit

[~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<O-|-<

By Verawench on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:49 pm: Edit

QQQQQ

QQQQQ

QQQQQ

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:33 pm: Edit

M. M. M.
M. M. M.
M. M. M.

- M.

By Artist on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • •

By Verawench on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 03:14 pm: Edit

o o o
o o o
o o o

By Artist on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 01:02 pm: Edit

. . .
. . .
. . .

By Verawench on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

By Artist on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 12:03 am: Edit

By Artist on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Thank you Verawench.

Heiko, Tabu sounds interesting...but its not available at SC...

- Eban -

By Verawench on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Eban, love your She-Wolves.

'Mites, check out our new talent:
http://ebanlehrer.com/SheWolves.html

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Lightweight...

By Heiko on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I can only recommend Tabu 73.

I haven't finished the second glass and feel like I've had a liter of wine... at least!

On the other hand - if you still want to be able to paint, I'd recommend NS 70 or even NS 55.
The Serpis and Tabu are "smashing" - one drop too much and you're not going to paint anything at all :-)

By Artist on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Thanks Head Prosthesis, Verawench...Sounds like Serpis it is...(although I would love to try doing this with a good La Bleue - looking through the forum in the past, I have found some where to get it - Justin and Betty (too pricey), isuisse (caveat emptor and still pricey). I did find one thread where Don mentioned some could be had for about eighty dollars, but he said his HDD had just crashed and he did not have the URL for it. Any ideas? By the way, I have tried Justin's La Bleue and it does seem to add a little extra to the experience.)

Now, I just have to find someone (a model) I am comfortable with (since I paint from life) and I will try it.

I have been able to stay on track while fairly schnockered before (the Chardonnay experiment), so hopefully I will this time. I did have some problems with attentiveness when I tried this experiment with pot...I kept getting the munchies and would usually end up scarfing, then contemplating the inside of my eyelids before I finished anything.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 10:31 am: Edit

That's one sexy he-she...

By Verawench on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 10:19 am: Edit

"Anyone wish to suggest what might go best with this effort?"

Segarra and Serpis 65. La Bleue also "works wonders" but is pricey.

By Verawench on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

Pierre et Gilles drink Serpis, I'm certain (this one's for you, honeybunch):

oohlala

But to answer Monsieur Artiste's inquiry: absinthe is a gentle poison. I find it impossible to create while drinking, mostly because I often drink to excess, and loss of hand-eye coordinating ensues. So I create afterwards and find that the level of absurdity and surrealism in my little creations is usually upped. I'm almost inclined to think that the entire Surrealist generation tore its way out of the Green Fairy's tender womb.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

I almost forgot my muse of choice would be either version of Serpis. Chuck some of that down with a Cherry Slurpee and you've got a SLERPIS.

Come create with me

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 08:09 am: Edit

That's a very nice picture by the way Artist. It's making me thirsty and horny.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

The art I've created while drinking Asbinthe has been posted here on the forum. Sometimes poetry, sometimes images. Sometimes babble, but only sometimes.

I can't remember what was (influenced by drinking Absinthe) or what wasn't at this point.

The majority of creative thought I've experienced and many others at the Forum have reported are very vivid and fantastic dreams. Some dreams I've had were food for art and writing. In that way I can claim that Absinthe was instrumental, but I can't say I've ever sat down with a bottle and created.

That's a shame too. That act right there is one of the reasons I wanted to try the stuff. Myself and a friend (who has never painted before) were going to get some canvases, drink some Absinthe and paint. We never did it.

By Artist on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 02:31 am: Edit

Hi...(I know this subject has been discussed in the past...and I found a thread that came close to what I was looking for, but when I posted to it, it stayed in the archives...so I am going to start a new one called "Art, Absinthe and Creativity".)

I have read the earlier threads and posts and see the connection between Absinthe and art in general - I especially like what Head said (in the thread "Art and absinthe"):

"I say my level of inspiration has escalated since my introduction to it. I am inspired by the passion for the drink, Don and Ted, work inspired by absinthe, the chase of the vintage, the promise of secondary effects, the nostalgia. "

…but I was wondering whether anyone has some empirical or anecdotal knowledge about actually creating a piece of art while consuming absinthe...?

I will probably give this a try with a new painting in the near future. (I have painted before while inebriated - specifically a nice Chardonnay - the painting wasn't a Chardonnay, that's what I had had to drink (*grin*).)

I am familiar with all the questions/hoopla surrounding "secondary effects", but given my fairly recent experiences, I am content that there is something there. Anyone wish to suggest what might go best with this effort? (NS 70, Segarra, Deva 50/70, Serpis 65, Herring or Montana are my current choices available.)

I would be glad to post the results if there is an interest...

Note: I have been interested in Absinthe for years, but have only recently (last two months) seriously tried it - my teacher was very much into the Fin de Siecle - (seeing Picasso's "Absinthe Cup" at LACMA - Los Angeles County Museum of Art - was very interesting) - and I have been following this forum for a few months...

(PS - my first experience with Absinthe was at a club in Los Angeles called "Bar Sinister" about two years ago...I had two drinks - badly served in a tall glass after being shaken with two packets of sugar and water and ice - but the green fairy seemed to reveal herself to me anyways...)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation