Reflections of Autumn

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Reflections of Autumn
By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

Less than six months.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

Artemis, that sedimentation pic is quite dramatic.

Can you tell us how old is that absinthe?

Thanks.

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 08:24 am: Edit

No, Heiko that looks fine. I'm a beginner with photo editing - I have some learning to do.

In addition, my sedimentation picture has suddenly showed up, when all I saw before was the "your photo here tag" !!! Strange.

Sedimentation. This is what I mean when I talk about the coloration literally falling out of the absinthe. THIS is what a traditionally-colored product looks like when that happens. Delahaye describes exactly this in her "Histoire", as I've pointed out here. Just thought I'd take the opportunity to show it to everybody, since it showed up (unexpectedly in this case) in my photo shoot.

Kallisti, no offense intended. Apologies to all for the rant. If we can come up with some photo etiquette, I'll be happy to conform.

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 08:20 am: Edit

Heiko, thank you for your suggestions. The last time I checked, 118 is considerably less than 200 :^) !!

The problem is (at the moment), I can only connect to the Internet on my desktop, which has no photo editing software, and my laptop, which does have the software, is on another desk, not even powered up, so changing the photos, which are on a floppy, is quite tedious and I don't have the time right now.

I usually run a test on my profile photo, and IF that works, then I risk trying to post a photo here, but that "Your photo here" thing which seems to result at random with NO explanation makes us look like dumbasses who can't work the simple syntax or something. It really frosts my ass. I apologize for the rant.

I agree, my pictures are too big (and so are those of a lot of other people here), but I'm reluctant to sacrifice quality for size, they're been coming out so well.

By Heiko on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 08:10 am: Edit

Test: does this look worse at first glance?

It's only 48k - about 2.5 times smaller than the one below...

test

By Heiko on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 08:06 am: Edit

I think pictures that are bigger than 200k just won't upload.

Why don't you make these pictures smaller in size?

The format of your first pic is OK (640x480), but it's already 118k.
I just gave it a try and brought it down to 48k without noticeable visual artifacts by saving it as a jpeg at 70% quality (in the rather simple program MS Photoeditor).

Maybe this helps (but I agree, sometimes the forum just does not accept posting, whatever you do...)

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

sedimentation

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

Ah, thank you, Artemis.

The one on the left piqued my curiosity because the picture (and your description) could have been of the Dr.'s "Absinthe Nouveau", the one with damiana in the recipe.

I will post some pictures and comments about coloring as soon as I get my new digital camera.

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

Again

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

louche

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 07:44 am: Edit

Kallisti, this shit needs to be corrected. It pisses everybody off, and with good reason.

If this software won't work correctly, can you look into setting up something that will?

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 07:41 am: Edit

louche

By Artemis on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 07:38 am: Edit

“ .. can we know more about the subtle differences that the colors of these glasses reflect?”

I knew I could count on the doctor to perk up his ears. Yes you may. I posted it to attract questions. I won’t tell everything I know about them, because I haven’t permission from the makers. But I felt the need to post the picture to honor the first on the left, because it’s so deserving.

“The first one looks commercial ... the other two, home-brewed.”

Indeed. The first one looks *artificial*, its clarity is so perfect and its hue so emerald. But none of them are commercial. The two on the right were made, respectively, by two people with considerable fame and universal respect in this forum. The one on the left was made by an individual new to the game. I promised the maker a comparison to some “old masters” and the result was startling. This sample was the most brilliant, shimmering, pretty green I’ve ever seen in a naturally colored product. It was colored with standard coloring herbs, very basic, nothing unusual about the herbs.

Its flavor was very herbal and “wild”, very powerful, and I attribute that in part to the coloration herbs, of which there was probably, at least traditionally speaking, too much weight by volume - that’s probably why it’s so green, but I even liked that about it. Smooth has its place, but “Where the Wild Things Are” is my idea of absinthe adventure. And the louche! Spectacular!! See for yourself, if this stupid software will upload the photo.

I should point out that the other two samples are quite a bit older and are well into the “feuille morte” phase. One of them is sedimenting heavily as well. Maybe I’ll post a photo of that. But in all honesty, neither of them could compare to the newbie even when fresh.

Apologies also for the title, as the one tree well reflected is a conifer that stays as green as absinthe all winter.

By Artist on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 09:34 pm: Edit

This is my fall: my fall

By Verawench on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

The first one looks commercial... the other two, home-brewed.

But what the hell do I know.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Artemis:

If it's not a state secret, can we know more about the subtle differences that the colors of these glasses reflect?

Respectfully,

Dr. O

By Luger on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 02:32 pm: Edit

D: D:stove.jpgstove.jpg

By Luger on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 02:32 pm: Edit

D:stove.jpg

Agree!

By Artemis on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 11:32 am: Edit

Drei Konig?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation