French Absinthe at SC? Manguin

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: French Absinthe at SC? Manguin
By _Blackjack on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 11:23 am: Edit

That might be because they are still listed in the Pastis section of the guide. The confirmation from the manufacturer was fairly recent, so we had every reason to suspect they were pastis, especially since neither explicity uses the word "absinthe" on their labels.

By Uncle_Willie on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

Oh -- for some reason I had thought those were pastis. And I bet they are French as well!

By _Blackjack on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

They had Versinthe and L'ame(r)sinthe for quite a while, and SC in fact told us that they contained Wormwood before it had been confirmed by the manufacturer.

By Uncle_Willie on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 07:09 am: Edit

I see that most agree that Manguin is an inferior product.

-but-

This is the first Absinth (or liquor claiming to be so) of non-Spanish origin at their site?

By Artist on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 04:27 pm: Edit

What about with green eggs and ham?

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 04:20 pm: Edit

I would not drink it on a train, I would not drink it in a plane. I do not like absinthe Manguin.

By Artist on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Meaning, yes as Petermarc said...did you?

By Artist on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Yes...(some people like pee-pee-water in the mouth J )...

By Petermarc on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 03:25 pm: Edit

but, did you like it or not?

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Manguin, a review:

A light yellow brown in color, the appearance of this absinthe says to one 'please remember to flush.'

And the taste- if a distiller somewhere read a book, but not too closely, and saw a description of absinthe, this is what they would make.

An insipid, boring anise based flavour, followed by an aftertaste of foul, foul bitterness.

As a chaser, this reviewer recommends battery acid, as removal of the victim's tongue is the only sure way to get the taste of Manguin (which is french for 'pee-pee-water') out of the mouth.

The distiller has a secret ingredient (tell no one!) that this reviewer has discovered, through gas-chromatography.

The painstakingly collected sweat of 60 dead, leporous donkeys is lovingly deposited in each bottle.

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Manguin, a review:

A light yellow brown in color, the appearance of this absinthe says to one 'please remember to flush.'

And the taste- if a distiller somewhere read a book, but not too closely, and saw a description of absinthe, this is what they would make.

An insipid, boring anise based flavour, followed by an aftertaste of foul, foul bitterness.

As a chaser, this reviewer recommends battery acid, as removal of the victim's tongue is the only sure way to get the taste of Manguin (which is french for 'pee-pee-water') out of the mouth.

The distiller has a secret ingredient (tell no one!) that this reviewer has discovered, through gas-chromatography.

The painstakingly collected sweat of 60 dead, leporous donkeys is lovingly deposited in each bottle.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 01:15 am: Edit

I found Manguin unimpressive. It's louche was weak and it tasted like weak pastis. With water it was almost flavorless.

By Heiko on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 01:11 pm: Edit

"I had at first sample thought Manguin was fantastic, then changed my opinion as it rapidly deteriorated like none I have seen before."

I don't think it deteriorated - you probably experienced what happens to me all the time: the fairy tricks you. Try one absinthe today and again in one week. It might taste totally different.

Your description of Manguin reminded me much of Versinthe. First, I'd say it's really good, but now I never drink it because it's not that good anymore. It's also rather bitter and interesting in taste, but you won't want to add sugar - it already contains a lot (only masked by the bitterness).

By Uncle_Willie on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I recently received a bottle of Manguin from SC. I now realize that it is the first non-Spanish absinth brand I have seen there. Also, I have not seen any review of it in the forum (I have not found the "search thread" feature yet).

If SC can carry a french brand, then perhaps one day they might carry a Thai brand? Just wishful thinking.

As far as Manguin tastes, the first glass I had seemed very bitter with low sugar and and interesting herbal character (sorry I am not that experienced in the herbs). So, the second glass ( a couple days later) I tried it with a sugar cube, and it was over-sweet. Now it seems to have lost much of the initial bitterness just over a few weeks time.

One evening I sampled three glasses in a row and detected a very unusual roughness in my throat and mouth. I have never experienced this before, and had the feeling that it was perhaps due to either a high wormwood concentration or (more likely in my opinion) use of wormwood extract.

It was interesting on my second delivery from SC to sample mostly new absinths. I agree with recent posts about serpis 65 being a very enjoyable beverage (better than 55, not sure why).

I had at first sample thought Manguin was fantastic, then changed my opinion as it rapidly deteriorated like none I have seen before.

Has anyone else tried it? What did you think?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation