Questions.. so many questions

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Questions.. so many questions
By Heiko on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 09:40 am: Edit

The new Tabu needs a 1:10 ratio.
I'm not joking...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

Water ratio is only a question of personal preference. Personaly I prefer NS70 and Serpis65 with a 5:1 ratio minimum. If you dilute enaught you will drawn the anis and that will let you taste the wormwood. Sometimes just 1/2 oz too much and it drowns everything...

You will probably need to try 4-5 glass with diferent ratios before discovering the perfect match. By the 6th glass you will probably think yourself as a alchemistry genius mixing the perfect juice of life anyway...

Enjoy!

By Absinthespoon on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Thanks for the plug, Marc! (I didn't pay him, honest!) As for prices on Phil's spoons, I have dropped them a lot. I'm sorry for charging more in the beginning, but I had no idea what to charge, or how fast or slow things would move. You will find that my prices are pretty aggressively low now.

By Astralmindx on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Another question. I guess it must mostly depend on personal tastes but what would be the ideal water/absinthe/other? ratio for:

DEVA 50
NS 55
N70
Serpis 55
Serpis 65

It tasted my deva50 in many different ratios, always finding it tasted a little bit too much diluted even if I was using a small amount of water (something like less than 4:1). Also, any of those are good dry (absinthe only) ? Again I tried deva50 in very small quantity and found it way more enjoyable than with water... it left a nice taste in mouth.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

One more for you, Astral: check out www.absinthespoon.com

No antiques, but well worth visiting.

By Astralmindx on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Hey thank you all!

Wolf, I'll be sending you an email(to your web page adress).

About the glasses and spoon, well originals might be affordable but you definitly have to dig to find them (didn't search a lot but..) all I found was that page and no glasses under 22 $ US ( and was a replica) http://www.absintheoriginals.com/

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

An affordable absinthe glass.

my picture my picture

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

That's the thing about antique absinthe collectibles: there are many pieces that are reasonably priced and not difficult to find (provided that you look around the Internet, eBay or a French flea market), and then there are the few rare items that command hundreds if not thousands of dollars. For the average Joe (if one can call any absinthe enthusiast "average"), the toys to look for are:

-- Chops Yvonne glasses (although not exclusive to absinthe)

-- Swirl glasses (although not exclusive to absinthe)

-- Various types of les pipes, les lozanges, and les croix spoons, among others.

The above list is by no means complete. Others on the Forum will give you more suggestions. Have fun!

By Etienne on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 06:31 am: Edit

Can't afford originals? Why not? I just bought a set of three swirl glasses for $33.00 plus shipping, and a perfectly nice original spoon for under eleven dollars. You work it out. At least for the spoon, that's less than I paid for one of Phil's repros, though the price does seem to be dropping on those since I got mine.

By Aion on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 05:48 am: Edit

For ordering the book look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1038077773

By Chevalier on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 05:09 am: Edit

Astral, you can order Mme. Delahaye's latest three absinthe-related books (including the excellent new "L'Absinthe: Un Histoire") from our friendly Frenchman Phil. Phil accepts PAYPAL! His address is: www.frenchmanltd.com

By Wolfgang on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Email me, I'm also almost out of green juice and I'm in for a joint order. I suggest you buy 2 bottles and I buy 3. I'm loosing hope of opening a bottle of Jade's Edouard for chrismass so I will order my Spanish trio once more.

For the glass, go to Loblaw, they have some acceptable and cheap one for our fay tears imbibing. For the spoon, the cheapest way is to get one from SC. A better way is to get a silver plated Les Fleches repro.

Conrad's History in a bottle is a great book, buy it. Mme Delahaye books are unfindables but maybe I can try to do a miracle for a fellow Montrealer... I will see what I can do.

If you'r available and willing to come to my place ( in Lachine ) this weekend, I will have a glass of "La muse verte" for you and we will place the order. If we place the order on my card, bring cash.

By Zman7 on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Astal,
My humble SC suggestion would be the NS70. It is unpretentious and the star-anise isn't quite so in your face. It's a good all-around Spanish. If you are adventuresome, try Segarra. The Conrad book is a great introduction to absinthe and the Belle Epoch history surrounding it.
MB

By Astralmindx on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Hi,

I've been reading (and maybe I posted once or twice before) this forum for quite a while. Well, I'll get to the point : My first and only bottle of absinthe (Deva 50... ha sweet.. hmmm) is nearing it's end (Noooooooooooooooo! arg). I'm going to order 1 or 2 bottles from SC and was wondering which one I should try. I liked Deva but found it a little to harsh on the anis taste. NS 70 and Serpis 65 are both looking intersting.

Also, I was wondering if there were any official release date for Ted's Jade ? I'm dying to try it!

hmmm I was asking myself what kind of glasses would fit for absinthe drinking ? Can't afford any original ones.. any replicas (affordable) out there ? How about spoons ?

I've been scouting libraries around my area (montreal canada) to find books about Absinthe (esp the Mme Delahaye one) and couldn't find any except for Absinthe history in a bottle. Is this book any good ?

Last but not least, anybody from Quebec (Wolf?) ordered from SC since the sept 11 incidents ? I just don't want to loose those precious 120 $

THanks you all!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation