Soccer World Cup Group of Death

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Soccer World Cup Group of Death
By Heiko on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 12:03 pm: Edit

There's a new joke around in Germany:

"Germany's group is really damn easy. At least Ireland, Saudi Arabia and Cameroon say so..."

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 11:23 am: Edit

Dengar,

On paper the ranking of the teams reads Argentina-1st, Sweden-2nd, England-3rd, Nigeria-4th, but with the exception of Argentina anything could happen. We shouldn't write off Nigeria either, they a good team and are unpredictable and could play a blinder.

Hobgoblin
(At least the teams who fail to make it through this group can say "Well look at who we were up against". If Germany fail to get through their group the German people would be justified in taking to the streets and rioting.)

By Dengar on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 08:50 am: Edit

Tell me about it... We can't beat Argentina. On England we have won more than we have lost the recent years so we could have a chance. I do think we should be able to beat Nigeria, but they showed how good they are four years ago. Besides; Sven-Goran wouldn't want his native country to loose now would he? ;-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, December 01, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

If it makes you feel better, Hob, the Argentine coach is not happy either.

Yes, in paper, Argentina is the better team. But all of the rest (Sweden, you guys, Nigeria), if you have a good day and Argentina an off one...you can beat them.

They don't have the "Hand of God" anymore...

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 01, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

Bad news for England (and possibly Sweden) in the groups draws for the next World Cup. The group consists of Argentina, England, Sweden and Nigeria, a real bastard group. I predict that the results of that group will be 1-Argentina, 2-Sweden, 3-England, 4-Nigeria. But apart from Argentina winning the group anything else could happen.

The Republic of Ireland was smiling (and Germany must have been laughing) with their group which consists of Ireland, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Cameroon. I predict the result of this group will be 1-Germany, 2-Republic of Ireland, 3-Cameroon, 4-Saudi Arabia.

Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation