Christmas Gift Suggestion

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Christmas Gift Suggestion
By Etienne on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I've purchased a lot on eBay and have never once used a credit card, only money orders or cash. I completely agree with you about internet buying, no plastic cards.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Many thanks Petermarc, I appreciate it, I would like it and the bidding price is not over the top. It's just that I am one of those luddites that do not like giving their credit card numbers over the internet (I send money orders to Spirits Corner).

Despite how often I am told that you have more chance of credit card fraud using it in the conventional fashion, I still won't give my credit card to anyone unless I can see the whites of their eyes.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 03, 2001 - 04:06 pm: Edit

well, the spoon is super-common (and genuine), but it's the name on it that i thought was cool for you...

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, December 03, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I've got a spoon just like that (picked it up in Rouen) except it isn't stamped "le Lutin".

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 03:36 pm: Edit

maybe this would interest you...
'le lutin' means 'the goblin'

By Mr_Carfax on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Hmmmm, maybe the straw is the genuine precursor to the Sebor Absinthe Sipping Pipe?

By Tavarua on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I've got several, they're about 25 USD apiece. I discovered a bundle in one of the old "MacDonald" houses, a historic bistro dining restaurant. The classic design, round, with a red stripe and a yellow stripe. Get them while I've got um, who knows when you will get the chance to pick up another one of these babies.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Yes, its so you can suck up all the sugary stuff that gets trapped at the bottom of your absinthe glass after you've drank all the liquid. Anyone who likes a lot of sugar in their absinthe and uses an absinthe glass knows what I mean. It's impossible to get this stuff out with an absinthe spoon so a straw makes perfect sense.

I want to know where I can get me a genuine belle epoch absinthe straw.

By Verawench on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 10:01 am: Edit

Seriously though, can anyone explain the straw?

By Verawench on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 10:00 am: Edit

Hobgoblin, you mean that ain't yer momma?

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 09:54 am: Edit

You'd have thought he could have found a better looking bird to paint and did she really have to wear that awful pink thing. He may have been able to paint but the man had no taste in women.

Keep the "Young lady with mask and a glass of absinthe" and give me a Britney Spears poster anyday.

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 04:38 am: Edit

i rest my case about absinthe spoons...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, December 01, 2001 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Is that a straw?

By Oxygenee on Saturday, December 01, 2001 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Young Lady with a Mask and Glass of Absinthe

Lot 325. Raimundo de Madrazo y Garreta (Spanish, 1841-1920), “Young Lady with a Mask and Glass of Absinthe”, oil on canvas, signed lower left, old label en verso, 35 in. x 27 in. [$70000/90000]
Note: Raimundo de Madrazo y Garreta was a highly distinguished figure of the “Spanish School” in Paris. His grandfather José (1781-1859) and father Federico (1815-1894) began Spain’s most enduring dynasty of artists.
After studying with his father, he attended the School of Fine Arts in Madrid and also trained under Leon Cogniet in Paris. From 1860 he lived in Paris and frequently traveled to America. Precociously talented, he was highly respected during his lifetime and was honored with medals at the Paris Universal Exhibition in 1878 and 1889. His work won many prizes and patrons in France, New York (the Vanderbilts) and London.
The beginning of Madrazo’s true style evolved from the artistic influences of his highly acclaimed brother-in-law Mariano Fortuny and the Belgian artist Alfred Stevens. Enthused by the Parisian Belle Epoque atmosphere, Madrazo replaced a family tradition of painting academic works with intimate Belle Epoque scenes. Specializing in female portraiture imbued with a sense of intimacy, “Young Lady with Mask and a Glass of Absinthe” is extremely characteristic of Madrazo’s oeuvre: a reminiscent pose, soft and elegant tones, and an overall mastery of color evident in his treatment of fabrics. With incredible skill, the artist superbly painted the Parisian elegantes of the late 19th century, epitomized by the work offered here.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation