Bottle of "Swiss La Bleue" was alredy opened when received :(

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Bottle of "Swiss La Bleue" was alredy opened when received :(
By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

they must be following EU regs according to the
blurb, even though they are not EU...oxygénée is not legal in switzerland because of food coloring...the contact is a big swiss absinthe collector/dealer (you'd think with all the great labels, someone would come up with something decent)although this labeling would not be legal in france...i first heard of it in an e-mail
from the boveresse festival organizer, yesterday...according to the date of release, it would have been out for the pontarlier absinthiades, but i don't think it could have crossed the border...no one mentioned it there...
i expect it will be flowing at next year's big 5th anniversary festival (along with 'frog'-yeah! naturally green from we don't know what)

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Holy sepulchers. L'absinthe suisse risen from the dead? Have you heard anything else about this product?

Did the Swiss actually legalize absinthe or are they just acting on faith that the EU had already done so?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 09:50 am: Edit

Well, Segarra is good but most of it's "special taste" must comes from the barrel aging (butterscotch like...).

I have not tasted it in a long time. I'm waiting for a shipment and I already know I will make myself a glass of Segarra even before I finish opening the remaining of the package.

I'm also just begining to recover from the Jade experience. Hopefully my taste buds are slowly forgeting the exceptional taste of real absinthe so I'm now able to appreciate a glass of spanish absinthe in the meantime.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

http://www.absinthe.ch/?rubrique=kubler
la bleue in a sealed bottle...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

true--ask gramma segarra...what i meant was, it isn't his bread and butter, so he has nothing to prove except he is good at what he does, which is distill stuff, and that if he stopped making absinthe at this point, it wouldn't matter...he also doesn't measure the thujone, too much of a pain and bad for the distilling process, since (he told me) you have to stop the distillation to take accurate measurements (i have no idea if this is correct or not)

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 08:35 am: Edit

Correct Bob. Hasn't anyone noticed that Segarra tastes markedly different than Deva, N.S., MM, or any other absinthe? Has anyone wondered why? Senor Segarra has put more effort into his product than any other currently available.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 08:21 am: Edit

segarra is not an absinthe-maker

Sure he is. At least in the sense that he is NOT an oil-mixer.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

segarra is not an absinthe-maker...he is a brandy and anis maker, who happens to make absenta, also,along with gin, vodka, coffee-liquor, rum, etc...absenta, seemingly as an after-thought...i suppose this has changed a bit for him now...hail to those who don't care what others think and just do their own thing (if only i could figure this out)...there's room for everybody on the crystal-ship...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 05:57 am: Edit

Actually a lot of our hard work goes into creating variations on our main product, there are at least 4-5 already that we regard as ready for market, and we expect there will be more as time goes on.

We'd hate to bore you with the only authentic absinthe, after all.

One you taste Jade (any Jade) you will be spoiled for most anything else, this is the almost universal response of the lucky people who have had the opportunity. No brag. Just fact. You can read what they have said in the archives of this forum.

Does this mean Segarra should quit? No. We applaud his style and methodology, he is a real absinthe maker, and that is RARE indeed. A few Swiss, one Spaniard, and a couple of wild and crazy guys from Nawlins, and Bangkok...

Even fewer who make their own alcohol, like we do.

Why not? Because it's too damned hard. Just try making 100 liters of 96% ethanol a day. If you think this is a piece of cake you haven't studied the logistics or the thermodynamics.

Anyone want to tell me what is the boil up time of 700 liters of wash at x-number of kW-hours or BTU/hours?

Anyone want to tell me the process time to strip that 700 liters of 16% ethanol, to 40%, at x-no. kW-hours or BTU-hours?

Want to tell me what that means in amperes at 220V?

People who cook a liter on their kitchen stove do NOT understand what it takes to industrialize this process. The latent heat of vaporization of water (84% of wash) is a HUGE hurdle, added on top of the heat for boilup it is a major problem.

Once ethanol achieves a reasonable concentration then this problem disappears, but when stripping wash, the water consumes about 95% of the heat input.

It takes 1 kW to raise 10 L water, or water ethanol mixture to boiling.

It then takes 1 kW to evaporate 1.6 L water.

But same energy will evaporate 5.4 L ethanol.

So, stripping wash takes a LOT of heat. A LOT of heat. And that heat must be matched by the condenser.

If there is a column in between, the column must be adequate to handle the 45 liters of water/ethanol vapor produced every MINUTE and that volume is regardless of the %/% of the mix.

These are natural laws, gentlemen, and you know what happens when you piss off Mother Nature?

BOOM.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 05:57 am: Edit

Actually a lot of our hard work goes into creating variations on our main product, there are at least 4-5 already that we regard as ready for market, and we expect there will be more as time goes on.

We'd hate to bore you with the only authentic absinthe, after all.

One you taste Jade (any Jade) you will be spoiled for most anything else, this is the almost universal response of the lucky people who have had the opportunity. No brag. Just fact. You can read what they have said in the archives of this forum.

Does this mean Segarra should quit? No. We applaud his style and methodology, he is a real absinthe maker, and that is RARE indeed. A few Swiss, one Spaniard, and a couple of wild and crazy guys from Nawlins, and Bangkok...

Even fewer who make their own alcohol, like we do.

Why not? Because it's too damned hard. Just try making 100 liters of 96% ethanol a day. If you think this is a piece of cake you haven't studied the logistics or the thermodynamics.

Anyone want to tell me what is the boil up time of 700 liters of wash at x-number of kW-hours or BTU/hours?

Anyone want to tell me the process time to strip that 700 liters of 16% ethanol, to 40%, at x-no. kW-hours or BTU-hours?

Want to tell me what that means in amperes at 220V?

People who cook a liter on their kitchen stove do NOT understand what it takes to industrialize this process. The latent heat of vaporization of water (84% of wash) is a HUGE hurdle, added on top of the heat for boilup it is a major problem.

Once ethanol achieves a reasonable concentration then this problem disappears, but when stripping wash, the water consumes about 95% of the heat input.

It takes 1 kW to raise 10 L water, or water ethanol mixture to boiling.

It then takes 1 kW to evaporate 1.6 L water.

But same energy will evaporate 5.4 L ethanol.

So, stripping wash takes a LOT of heat. A LOT of heat. And that heat must be matched by the condenser.

If there is a column in between, the column must be adequate to handle the 45 liters of water/ethanol vapor produced every MINUTE and that volume is regardless of the %/% of the mix.

These are natural laws, gentlemen, and you know what happens when you piss off Mother Nature?

BOOM.

Whereas it takes the same energy to evaporate

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 11:29 pm: Edit

I haven't sampled Jade/BEL but I think Segarra will be worth having around even if Jade is the very best. It has character. And who can have the very best every day? Wouldn't it get boring, unless BEL plans on selling 101 flavors?

Probably some of the food and drink perversions of the world (many rare and costly items as well as bizarre specialty dishes like haggis, etc.) get popularity from a reaction against the "best", a drive toward what's unique and interesting instead of what's more universally admired.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I would not recommend anything sold by www.absinth.com, they are Czech pirates and thieves.

However, there is no such thing as a 'sealed' bottle of La Bleu, all La Bleu is sold in second hand 1 Liter wine bottles with screw caps. I have specimens with Cinzano and Landtwing Zug caps. Likewise the labels are 'traditionally' printed on personal-computer printers -- recently color but previously B&W even dot-matrix. All La Bleu is bootleg and must be smuggled out of Switzerland.

By Meat_Nipples on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Have tried NS and I love it. I feel that the taste is more well rounded that some of the other brands I have tried (mainly Deva, Mari Mayans, and Versinthe). Serpis 65 is on my holiday wish list, I may place an order very soon. I am not sure whether Segarra is worth the money, but I will no doubt give it a try in the future. That is, if Jade doesn't start taking orders first.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Serpis 65 rocks your boat and always comes with an intact seal. NS70 make you stare at the wall and also comes with an intact seal! The seal binds the green fay !

By Chevalier on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

If we took all the absinthes / absinths sold on the Absinth.Com e-shop and push them into one big bottle, heres what wed get. Excepting my snide parenthetical comments, every sentence is quoted intact from the Absinth.Com website. Im not making this up.

ABSINTHE KINGSWISSFRENCHLABLEUESEBORPILSNERLOGAN

"We have long been searching to find an answer to relatively a very simple question that is : What Absinthe did famous artists drink ? Particularly, how much thujon (sic) was involved and if this substance caused so called halucinogenic (sic) effects and made people mad. We have consulted several experts, Absinthe lovers and distillers who have made a lot of Absinthe to find the answer. Nobody knew it and at the golden Absinthe times there were no measures taken. However, a study of various old recipes and necessary calculations suggests that it might have been between 30 to 60 mg/kg of thujon."

"As we did NOT want to be found liable for any health damage on other people we tried it ourselves hidden from the rest of the world. Unlimited supply was something that most of you would wish to have. (And unlimited cash flow is something WE wish to have.) The test lasted for a week and we drunk it every evening as much as we could. After the test, we all believed that Absinthe makes your mind creative simply because you are in a good mood and no stress applies. So for instance, you can work on a computer and still drink which would be impossible with other spirits. You do not feel tired or sleepy - the other way round. You feel fresh and looking for something unexpected to happen. It is like you want to dance go out etc...kicked - that is the word. (It also makes you want to write rubbish about thujone and tests.)"

"To sum it up - we were impressed. However, we do not feel that this kind of Absinthe should be used excessively on a daily basis. (Other kinds of Absinthe, however, SHOULD be used excessively on a daily basis.)"

This baverage (sic) is made according to an old recipe dating back to Napoleonic France. Whoops ... I mean its made according to a very old traditional recipe dated back to the Vincent Van Gogh days. This fine bitterish drink is made chiefly from herbs, spices (just like Kentucky Fried Chicken!) and top-quality grain-alcohol and of course contains thujone which is obtained by the soaking of wormwood herb in grain-alcohol. (But of course.) This technological process is responsible for all flavours and aroma (sic) that pass from the herbs into the alcohol. It is as cristal (sic) clear as the purest water from the mountain turning as white as snow when ice cubes are added. (The hills are alive with the sound of muuu-sic!) This strong hand made Green Fairy contains 10mg/kg of thujone at the time of bottling. (After the time of its bottling, who knows?) The presence of carefully selected and processed herbs ensures its distinctive a bit bitter taste that will no doubt please the experts.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

I have tried to before. It is made by the same people that make the la bleue for http://isuisse.ifrance.com/veuve-bleue/
and a few others. I think it was betty's first source before they went on their on. Is it real la bleue? yep. Why is the label printed like that, because la bleue is not a commercial product. Any labels applied to la bleue are usually not done so by the producer. I am impressed it had any seal since it is a bootlegged product.

Why buy la bleue first anyhow? Spanish absinthe is cheaper and great for getting the palate ready for more complex flavors...I guess whatever floats your boat.

By Sligo on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 10:35 am: Edit

I just purchased a bottle of "Swiss La bleue" from http://www.absinth.com . I was very disappointed to see that it was not a sealed bottle. It had a seal, but the seal was broken. They tell me this is how they receive them from Switzerland. Yet it is a homemade looking label (picture from a Pernod poster) with the name www.absinth.com on the label. Is there any way to check the validity of the contents? It was not cheap, I would hate to get a $10 bottle of anisette for $150.00 plus shipping. Ideas?
Suggestions? I am an utter newbie and would not be able to recogognize the flavor, so I need a better test. Is a louche test sufficient or will any old anisette louche? Please help.

Also has anyone tried this absinthe and if so what do you think? (assuming it is real).

Thanks!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation