Ebay deal

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Ebay deal
By Verawench on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1505362336

This is actually kind of neat. They have a bunch of Mucha tiles too.

By Crosby on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Believe it or not, an almost square piece of cardboard. Leave it to ebay.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Yeah, I missed that one too. What was it?

By Tavarua on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:59 am: Edit

By Wolfgang on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 07:45 am: Edit

Don't miss that ebay deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1502397496

LOL!

By Wolfgang on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Pwoua! there`s a vintage curled pubic hair floating in my Pernod&Fils!

By Grimm on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Ahaha!

it's amazing how of all the damn letters, out of all those damn words. that is the one my mind leaves out!!

damn you twisted mind! damn yOU!

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Pubic update:
"The hairs are getting curlier."

By Artist on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:10 pm: Edit

oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh, I want to come to that one (especially with the "pubic" updates)...

By Grimm on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 10:38 am: Edit

Let us speak of a gathering!

It seems quite a few people are interested in going to New York for a gathering!

shouldn't we start planning it seriously and have people who will act as organizers. The forumites who live in NY come to mind.

e-mail would seem to be the best way to go for this. with pubic updates on the plans.

I imagine a group, seated in circle within the moonlight in Central Park, sipping Absinthe on a persian rug that really ties the room (parc) together.

Or a rooftop! now that is a New York experience! A rooftop garden of delights!

By Artist on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 03:52 am: Edit

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... What about the fucking west coast?

By Louched_Liver on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Combine the East Coast w/the Midwest? Whatcha get? One bigass get-together if 1/3 of those who say they will, actually show up.
Late May anyone?

By Admin on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

ok, a little known Kallisti fact ...

in my other life, my brother & I are generally known as pork/meat freaks, and so I get fwd'd weird pork or meat facts from all over the world. there is now accounting for it all.

here's another!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_495160.html

By Morriganlefey on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 09:55 am: Edit

Kallisti -

Oh my GAWD!! Whereever did you find that page??! A stunning display of weiner-crafting. And if you click "next recipe" you get ANOTHER recipe, this one a Ham N' Egg Tower! (and the weiner tiara becomes the background of that recipe). Food tastes aside, this person needs a 12-step program for web background overkill.

Thanks fer sharing,
- M

By Chevalier on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 09:34 am: Edit

Re. silver nut spoons:

True true true. Regarding their design and decoration, 19th century sterling servers, nut spoons, bon-bon spoons, etc. are so ornate, they leave nearly all absinthe spoons in the dust. And to a collector like me, that's frustrating!

By Verawench on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 08:41 am: Edit

mmmmm.... nippy stuffing

By Admin on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 08:33 am: Edit

silver nut spoons and lamposts aside:

http://ebates.web.wesleyan.edu/recipe1.html

By Verawench on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 07:47 am: Edit

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1064244895

Things like this make you want to give up absinthe spoons forever.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 05:20 am: Edit

I should get it beginning of next week and will sure look at it carefully with a magnifying glass.

The seller sent me a scan of the back side where we can clearly see the stamp with the date and everything. From the scan I can tell it's written in black ink but maybe a more carefull examination will tell otherwise.

I'm also already waiting for another postcard from the belle epoque. That one is not so dramatic but the picture is from "Les folies bergeres".

By Chevalier on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 03:02 pm: Edit

He chose a tree instead.

my picture

By Verawench on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I wonder where that lamppost is.

Is Raoul still on it?

That'd be cool...

By Chevalier on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 01:24 pm: Edit

My guess is that it's written in purple ink. (No kidding: it was the color of choice for love letters.)

And to think that Raoul may have actually ended up hanging himself!

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 12:45 pm: Edit

OOooOo that's a 'beaut, congrats Wolfgang!!! "I fear that you don't love me. I will hang myself from a lamppost. - Raoul."

Sigh.

- M

By Wolfgang on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 09:53 am: Edit

Wouhou!!!! I got it 2 sec. before end of auction! The other bidder will hate me.

Loosely related to absinthe but well, it's so romantic ;-).

By Etienne on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

"preparations of an herbal nature"

Hmmm...Hey Wolfie, any time you say, dude.

Is there such a thing as a central location? Montreal? Michigan? From how far would we draw?

By Wolfgang on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 12:46 pm: Edit

The idea was to have enaugh time to harvest my A.Pontica plants (if it`s really what I`m gonna get....)

By the way, there`s tons of interesting festival in Montreal during summer (like the jazz festival for those so inclined)...And the gothic convention (in May if I remember the alt.gothic proposal...)

By Artemis on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Impossible to say with certainty where I will be in a few weeks, much less when the Autumn moon lights my way.

But giving everybody some time to plan and prepare is always a good idea. Some people might want to make preparations of an herbal nature or something ...

By Etienne on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 07:47 pm: Edit

That would give us plenty of time to plan... maybe too long? At least the weather would be dependable for travel. Will Artemis still be in the area?

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 05:25 am: Edit

We should consider to make this GT late summer/ early autumn, maybe a month after the harvest...

By Etienne on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 09:16 pm: Edit

"mumbles angrily"

Really? Why? Won't you cross the Mason-Dixon line?

By Verawench on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 02:31 pm: Edit

*mumbles angrily*

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Is the Mother Ship (East Lansing, MI) calling me back too? Interesting notion.

(Of course, it's a tad more than 564 miles for me..)

- M

By Larsbogart on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

i have never met anyone from detroit that i didnt like or love for a very long time. i would drive from the new triangle to detroit just to eat at wendy's and go home.

By Etienne on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 06:35 pm: Edit

You know, this COULD be the beginning of a northern gathering. What d'ya all think?

By Grimm on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Hey Wolfgang, Artemis is absolutely right, 900km isn't all that much. It's a 9 hour drive!

Considering I hardly ever posted here in the one + year of visiting and lurking. I wouldn't have all that much to share, but at least I could say I kept you awake on the way down! earning those dues.

If you need moral support on this trip, ( I don't drive ), I am very good at keeping drivers awake.

If I can stand a 12-14 hour flight in coach to
Sao Paulo with about 30 kids taking shifts kicking the back of my seat the whole way.. I can definately handle a road trip!

especially for such a good cause!

__
grimm

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

"Any particular reason its a private translation?"

You're looking at it bass-ackwards. The correct way to look at it is that the translations on The Frenchman's site are *public* translations.

Every translation I do is a private translation unless I do it for someone else, and in that case, the someone else is obviously free to do as he pleases with the result. In Phil's case, I did the work for him in return for favors rendered. He made the results public; that was his choice.

In the case of the Duplais text, I did the work for myself. There's no reason I should give it away - I'm not Santa Claus. I have traded it to a few people in return, again, for favors rendered. Unlike some here, I am utterly capitalist and have no qualms whatsoever about it.

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

"907.48 Km to Detroit"

Well, that foreign measurement system makes it look a lot longer than it really is. In America, that's only 564 miles. It can be driven in one day easily.

"Maybe one day but that's a long trip to share a drink and shakes hands ;-)."

I was talking about a little more than a drink and a greasy palm. Not so long ago I drove 1500 miles (that's MILES, not kilometers) ONE WAY (3000 miles round trip) to watch a guy make one batch. People have been telling me "Look at that Wolf - he has a burning desire, he lets nothing stand in his way". I guess there's burning, and then there's BURNING.

Wolf, I admire the way you take teasing all in stride. I look forward to meeting you, teleported or otherwise.

By Timk on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

"it must have been bestowed by one of the few people to whom I've shown it (not many, and I was indebted to them; that's why they got to see it)."

Any particular reason its a private translation?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 11:18 am: Edit

Mapquest calculate 1017.50 Km from Montreal QC to Lansing MI or 907.48 Km to Detroit... Maybe one day but that's a long trip to share a drink and shakes hands ;-).

Wolf-"how much for a teleportation device ?"-Fener

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 11:05 am: Edit

Everything can be bought with a bottle of maple syrop ;-) !

...but I thought it was the other way around...

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 10:59 am: Edit

As far as I know, The Frenchman's website shows a promotional pamphlet put out or commissioned by Pernod, and a treatise on liquors by A. Bedel. I translated both of them for Phil the Frenchman.

It's apparent that Bedel drew upon the work of Duplais, because there are similarities. There are also differences, even when the recipe being discussed is obviously the same. These make either of the books hard to take at face value. Some reading between the lines must be done. That's why I say it's not the Bible. Delahaye obviously drew from both books, and made some errors herself in transcribing them.

I didn't actually translate the whole book by Duplais; just the chapter on our favorite drink. Wolf, Michigan is not so far south. You could get together with me and Head Prosthesis, who is one of your biggest fans .....

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 08:04 am: Edit

Is there more info in this book than on the text we can read on frenchman's web site ?

If that's noting more than that, it's interesting but only inspirational at best.

One of those days I will have to take a few days off and drive south...

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

You're welcome, although if you've seen that particular translation, it must have been bestowed by one of the few people to whom I've shown it (not many, and I was indebted to them; that's why they got to see it).

I'll take you up on the glass and the sonata, but as for "both's best" I have nothing seemly to offer - I do take some comfort in a few world-class efforts that have been informed by my translations (and vice versa), however. My speciality is sadly words, but we can indulge in some of those as well if ever we meet.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Arty, my friend, Dr. O, asked me to thank you for your translations. They have improved his knowledge of absinthe tenfold.

Maybe some day he and you can sit and enjoy a glass of "both's best". Listening to a Beethoven sonata?

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Sorry, that was year before last. I forgot it's now 2002.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 03:25 pm: Edit

"I know that a translated version exist ..."

Yes, it's in my bookcase. I translated it last year. And it's not the Bible. You already know most of what it contains, and you found it out here, or by trial and error.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:56 am: Edit

A treatise on the manufacture and distillation of alcoholic liquors by P. Duplais (1855).

The bible is there for 950 Swiss franc. It's the second edition (1882). I can't aford it so I give you the link.

I know that a translated version exist to which are added the United States internal revenue regulations for the assessment and collection of taxes on distilled spirits. This one is the French version.

"Traité de la fabrication des liqueurs et de la distillation des alcools" Duplais P.

Wolf

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 07:00 am: Edit

fountain on ebay

Good luck Oxy!

Dream dream dream...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 03:16 pm: Edit

this and the other in the auction are modern pontarlier-anis bottles (not exactly wide distribution)...wonder what the story was behind that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1497794091

By Wolfgang on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit

http://cgi.ca.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1045086529

Absinthe art et histoire
Nice deal

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation