I'm new here

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:I'm new here
By Don_Walsh on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Can I pick and choose?

Put some pisco in my coffee and let me be on the business end of the flogging.

Now THAT will get your blood flowing in the morning. Trust me. I know.

By Tavarua on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Cultural stereotypes aren't we all. It reminds me of a saying my grandfather use to, well, say:

A salman may be a salman, but a horse is a horse, of course of course.

By Chevalier on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:08 pm: Edit

And haven't YOU been to South America? Here in this "little town south of the United States", we have hepatitis-laced water spurting from our only spigot, we all drive broken-down pickups with weeping Jesus figurines on the dash, toilet paper hasn't arrived, and we export campesino families to flog on a regular basis. Nothing gets the blood flowing in the morning like a coffee can of warm pisco and a fierce case of diarrhea ...

By Tavarua on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

"French ticklers in a gas station bathroom?"

Of course.

I know that you live in the Southern Hemisphere, but haven't you ever been to the States. Here in the USA, he have spring water spurting from the fountains, we all drive German cars, our toilet paper is made from hundred dollar bills and we import peasant families to flog on a regular basis. Nothing gets the blood flowing in the morning like a cup of warm coffee and a nice flogging;-)

By Tavarua on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Of course. I know that you live in the Southern Hemisphere, but haven't you ever been to the States. Here in the USA, he have spring water spurting from the fountains, we all drive German cars, our toilet paper is made from hundred dollar bills and we import peasant families to flog on a regular basis. Nothing gets the blood flowing in the morning like a cup of warm coffee and a nice flogging;-)

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Serpis may not be an artisinal product made from wild herbs hand picked at dawn from Spanish mountains, BUT it sure tastes fucking GREAT!

Hobgoblin

By Chevalier on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 11:47 am: Edit

French ticklers in a gas station bathroom? Too exotic by half, but who's quibbling? It has a great ring to it.

By Bob_Chong on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

Guido:

Assuming you really are a starving student, you probably have sampled such brewing wonders as Schaeffer and Goebel (or whatever swill you buy in Athens for $6.99/case). They use hop oil instead of real hops when making their beer. They also use inferior grains instead of only barley. Real beer, from real ingredients, costs more money (unless you homebrew).

Isn't this true of everything? Cost does not guarantee quality, but in this case, cheapness may indicate lack-of-quality.

Take the Deva vs. Segarra example. Why is Deva about ten bucks but Segarra is $30? Because Segarra is a real man, making real absinthe, with real wormwood he collected himself from the mountains of Chert. That is absinthe. Deva and the rest--according to people that know a helluva lot more than I do about this stuff--are mixed from oils. Cheaply. Why steep real herbs in alcohol and then distill when you can blend anise oil and other oils into existing alcohol? Money. Deva and the other mass produced Spanish have about as much romance as a gas station bathroom's french tickler. They are mixed oils and alcohol by some no-name lackey. Or a machine.

I don't know if there is anyone on this board who believes Deva, LaSala, etc., are artisinal products. Nor do I know if anyone thinks these aren't mixed from oils and are instead actually distilled using traditional (or semi-traditional) methods.

"If any, speak; for him have I offended. I pause for a reply."

Chongus Antonius

By G_T_Impaler on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

Thanks Mvario, Cheri, glad you guys picked up on the humor. Just thought I'd start out by asking all of the stupidest questions first, so as to make my genuine ridiculous questions look mild in comparison. Here's one for instance: Bob, you mentioned Mixed-from-oil-brands; I've seen this before and thought was just sarcasm, but on going back and reading again, I'm starting to wonder. Is this just a phrase for voicing displeasure, or is it a literal account of the production process?

-Guido

By Cheri on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 05:26 am: Edit

Now if I could figure out he was being silly at first, you all must be spanked!

I personally would recommend this.. Try the Deva first.. then, the NS 55, then, the Serpis..Take the Mari Mayans and use it to fix a clogged drain or store in your first aid kit and use like Syrup of Ipecac.

The reason I recommend the above order is that you can tell the complexity of the others based on the simplicity of the Deva. I'm not an expert, but for a novice, I believe this will help you tell the differences.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:28 am: Edit

how 'experienced' do you have to be to taste something and tell someone what it tastes like to you? well, wait a minute...first, are you experienced? have you ever been experienced? i know, i am...

By Mvario on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 07:59 pm: Edit

GT,

I got it... and had a feeling people would take you seriously.

I'm a total newbie myself. I just recently received shipment of my first, 3 bottle, Deva, Serpis, and Segarra (and a bottle of NS on the way). I'm way too inexperienced to actually try and describe them, and I've only had 1 or 2 tried of each over the past week) but I like the Segarra the best, so far. The best I can phrase it, lacking the vocabulary for the flavors, is to say it's more subtle.

I'm going to try my second glass of Serpis right now. (and if you're going to do a blind taste test you might want to try a blindfold, I think the color of Serpis will give it away).

Enjoy,
-Mike

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

wow, this is cool...legion's web site link disappeared and guido went from 'the both of you' to 'all'...damn...and i can't even get my editing function to work...

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

whoa, legion...what happened to:
http://clans.owbn.org/malkavian/pranxdis.html ?
i thought it was kind of amusing...

By G_T_Impaler on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Geez, thirteen minutes 'till my first flame. (sniff) I feel so welcome! (tears of pride) Thanks for responding, everyone. Btw, I have read the FAQ, most of the archives here, and a couple of books on the subject. The first questions were just foolishness; I was being a smart ass. Sorry. I keep forgeting that e-text doesn't carry tone very well. The blind tasting sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the advice, all.

-Guido

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Impaler,

Are you for real or is this a wind up?

If you want to get high then smoke a joint.

If you want to make yourself vomit then steep wormwood in vodka.

If you want to kill yourself drink wormwood oil.

If you want an opiate to 'chase the dragon' then perhaps you should try the streets. Unfortunately heroin is not exactly a rare (or expensive) commodity these days but you won't find it on the absinthe forum.

You won't win.

Hobgoblin

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

lol Chong...it is good to see you in a non-political absinthe thread..

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:49 pm: Edit

What should you try first? The Segarra. Oh, wait. You decided to buy all the inferior, mixed-from-oils shit first.

I'll concede that NS isn't bad, either. Skip the rest, esp. the Mayans. And don't buy anything from Bettina, ever.

BC

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

None of the below.

But if you are used to Ricard, Spanish absinthe will hold few mysteries for you.

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:14 pm: Edit

try this...try each one and then decide which one you like...if you've gotten anything from this forum before you entered it, it is that almost no one agrees with each other about what they prefer, and that absinthe can taste different(to the same person) each time you try it, and though maybe enjoyable, none of these spanish brands taste like 'real' absinthe(i haven't tried NS)...
taste mayi mayans last, since it will fry your taste-buds with star anis...

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

1. Don't know, doesn't really matter.
2. Depends on what you mean by "high".
3. Make a pot still and try to learn how to operate it without getting arrested or blown up. No, soaking wormwood in vodka won't work.
4. No, just put you in the hospital if you take enough of it.
5. Do you honestly think anyone would answer that here?

Since you went and got 4 Spanish absinthes, you might as well have fun. Open all four and try a blind tasting... label four glasses 1-4 with tape or stickers on the bottom... mix a dose with water and have your friend taste them. Then have your friend switch the numbers around while you're not in the room (keeping track of which number was switched with which), and try them yourself.

None of those is the "best introduction" -- they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Now, more gentle encouragement: read the FAQ.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

I suppose you didn't read the FAQ on your way in...the one that said read before you enter.

By G_T_Impaler on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Hey guys,
I'm kind of new to the world of absinthe, so I was hoping that you could answer a few questions for me.

1. Which absinthe contains the most thujone? I hear thujone is the main psychoactive component of absinthe.

2. How many glasses do I have to drink to get high?

3. How do I make my own absinthe? Will soaking wormwood in vodka work?

4. What about essential oil of wormwood? Will it make me trip?

5. I saw someone on a movie "chasing the dragon." it looked pretty cool. Does anyone know where I can get some opium?

Heh heh heh...

Sorry about that. I noticed this place can get kind of rough, so I thought it would be best to come out swinging. Anyway, I was wondering if you all could give me a bit of advice. A friend and myself have been searching out a bottle of real absinthe for quite a while now. Up to this point, we have been drinking Pernod and Ricard, and after two years, we've developed a taste for something a little better. A couple of weeks ago, I tried a new search engine in an attempt to find absinthe related info. I nearly shit myself when I saw this page. Now there's a shipment on the way from SC that has a bottle each of Mari Mayans 70, Deva 70, Serpis 55, and NS 55 (yes, I spent a lot; it's okay though, I just won't buy anyone christmas presents this year.) My question, not to beat a dead fairy, is about preference. After years of pastis, bottle after bottle of Ricard, i've become accustomed to the stuff. Bearing that in mind, which of the four should I break into first? What would be the best introduction? Well, there it is. Promise you'll be gentle...it's my first time.

-Guido the Impaler

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation