PROOF SUCKA'S

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:PROOF SUCKA'S
By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Thanks Don, I should have specified "those fundamentalists who aren't political foes of Bin Laden"... such as Pakistan's former client, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, currently residing in Iran.

Everyone seems to forget about that guy. The ISI and CIA had to drop him after his opium racket and his tendency to turn on his colleagues in the former Afghan "interim" government (i.e., the Northern Alliance) became too much to tolerate. Then the Taliban were formed. Their initial support in Afghanistan was very much a reaction against Hekmatyar and his faction fights.

Now a lot of the old faction leaders have taken back their jobs as regional commanders and governors.

The point I was getting at was, even if there isn't overt support for Bin Laden at this point, from people who aren't already in jail -- who'd be so stupid? might as well paint a target on your turban -- the Islamic world tends to remember impositions of Western justice, and there's always a chance Bin Laden will die but his truth will go marching on. Probably much greater, should the U.S. forces enhance his martyrdom by executing him themselves instead of letting other Muslims do it.

Irony: Robert Fisk, journalist and anti-war commentator, beaten nearly to death by Afghan refugees from the bombing of Kandahar:

http://www.counterpunch.org/fiskbeaten.html

By Bjacques on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Who cares if bin Laden did anything? He seems more like Charles Manson; "do your worst and don't bother me with the details." Hell, we just want him for questioning, but we want him really, really badly, about 25 million bucks and 5000 people's worth.

Still, the US government should be as open as possible about evidence and should hold a public trial. Maybe the American people will follow the party line, but the Europeans are more skeptical. The US needs EU help in promoting its less popular policies, like silencing debate on GM foods. The Arab world needs to see some civilized justice, not just victor's justice. Save the military trials for Enron executives.

That said, hand John Walker Lindh over to the Afghan people, preferably woman doctors who weren't allowed to practice for the last 5 years. They can practice all they like on Johnny-boy. Force-feed him bacon at the end. Ehh...eh...eh! He's really the NA's prisoner anyway.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 05:48 am: Edit

You won't here much from 'the fundamentalists' either way. Cup your hand to your ear. Hear anything? From the Moslem world, whose job it is for me to cover, at least Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei, plus the Islamic populations of Thailand and Singapore, I am hearing fuck-all now about the great OBL, and less about 'Mullah' Omar.

The fundamentalists, you mean like Iran? They are sponsors of the NA and happy to see the Taliban and OBL fall.

The rest? He LOST, and therefore was not favored of the Prophet. The fundamentalists don't follow losers.

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 06:40 pm: Edit

I think the death penalty issue also came up a little while ago when Spain apprehended a suspected al-Qaeda member.

Somehow I doubt either Osama bin Laden or Mullah Omar will live to stand trial. They will probably become shaheed during their attempted capture. Though that multi-million dollar reward might influence the outcome a little.

Should they be taken alive, it would simplify things if they were just handed over to the Afghan interim government for trial. They are probably responsible for the deaths of hundreds as many Afghans as Americans. If the Afghans try them and execute them (or not -- though it seems almost a certainty), it would give less fire to the fundamentalists.

Perhaps Afghanistan could take action to seize OBL's assets. Let him pay to help rebuild the country that hosted him.

By Bob_Chong on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

UBL, spoken as a word instead of three separate letters, sounds kinda like Übel. Fitting, IMO.

By _Blackjack on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

Well, UBL has made several comments since 9/11 which, if not outright confessions, certainly gave the impression that he WANTED people to think he was involved. But it does seem that this tape shows he had some specific prescence of the events, which would be useful if we ever bring him to trial.

In other news, the UK has said that it might be unwilling to trun UBL over to the US if he is caught by British forces, unless they have assurances that he won't be executed. Now, I'm about as anti-death-panalty as you can get, but this is not the guy to be using to make the point...

By Tavarua on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 08:36 am: Edit

Hey hey hey, time to start another productive political discussion, where everyone agrees, no one fights and everyone can see eye-to-eye.

It appears a tape has surfaced, discovered in a private residence, that acknowldges bin Ladin's guilt. It has not been released to the public yet, but very well may be. Regardless, the leaders of our allied parties will see it.

I haven't really been on the forum for a few days, and haven't been reading the posts, so if this has already been brought up, sorry. But whose fault is that.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation