Zelena Muza

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Zelena Muza
By Heiko on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:41 am: Edit

La Fee is really good, but too expensive!

By Sorhed on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

Well, I'm not a distributor of Delis as some may think. But in comparison with Spanish Xenta Absenta and Hills it's not too bad. It's very hard to find absinthe in Russia, so I'm actually a newbie :)
I think I should try to order La Fee from UK. I'll have to wait 3 weeks or more for delivery, but who knows, maybe it's REALLY good?

By Heiko on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 11:54 pm: Edit

ad Hill's:

it's drinkable. It's rather good for mouthwash (that is really what it tastes like)

Staroplzenecky or Neto Costa in comparison don't even taste like mouthwash, they just taste plain bad, uuuaargh!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:17 am: Edit

i keep a topette of zelena muza around to remind me how bad a product can be and actually be marketed...i took another sip just now to reconfirm...yup...bitter as hell(the only taste), amazing that it could be bottled and sold...as a russian, you will soon have your own brand, made from czech concentrate, reanimated in russia...it is not good, but better than hill's (i guess, still never tried it...i'm missing out)and many czech products...
russian
i just met the guy who makes absinth king of spirits, the stuff with the twigs on the bottom...it is the best czech absinthe i have
tasted, and would be better if he didn't put the twigs (wormwood, anis, etc.)in and leave them...natural color, very slight louche, bitter, but not obnoxious like z.m...dmitry is a nice guy and hopefully we will make a trip to prague this spring to discuss techniques...he is at least trying...in the spirit of disclosure, he is involved with staroplzenecky, t.h.c., and czech spirit stark (wonder how this got past philip stark?)
dmitry...
dmitry

By Tavarua on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

"I must be masochist or something..."

Not really. I have wanted to try Hills for a long time, just for shits and giggles. If I get the chance to pick some up at retail price, I probably would. I wouldn't expect anything that tastes good or louches, but at least I would get the chance to try the infamous Hills swill. Or I might try King Gold. Since we are already going for the shitty flavor, at least we can shoot for affects. I doubt it is 100Mg, but it is worth a shot, and I believe it is comparable in flavor to Hills.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:59 am: Edit

LOL!
I think it was the funniest question I asked on this board...And it also got the funniest of answer ;-)

...But at least I will know what I'm talking about when I recommend people not to buy Czech absinthes.

I must be masochist or something...

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

Drinking Czech absinthe and the name "Sorhed" just seems too (amusingly) coincidental. Drinking that junk gives you a very sore head indeed.

Take it easy on the guy. He just may be a legitimate newbie.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:50 am: Edit

Oh, Lord. Now that we've helped out Kallisti, does conscience dictate that we start a Ted Breaux Relief Fund? Cash for absinth(e)s and morning-after aspirin?

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

It may come as a surprise that I purchase and evaluate all brands, including the Czech garbage.

As far as a recommendation of what to buy as an 'absinth' souvenir from the Czech Repuplic, it is difficult to make a recommendation (and put my name on it anyway). FWIW, try Schulz and Staroplzenecky (both easy enough to find). Aside from leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth, this will give you a nice tasting experience of 'bad' and 'worse'. I can't recommend Hill's, as it is insipid.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:43 am: Edit

For some reason, Chilean supermarkets and botellerias have BORIS YELTSIN VOKDA on their shelves. It's made in France, of all places.

Boris Yeltsin, an alcoholic who once issued a ban on all liquor advertising in Russia. Funny.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

Czechmate!

By Tavarua on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:27 am: Edit

My favorite Czech absinthe would have to be Peach Snaptz, by Dekuyper. It doesn't really louche, but it sure tastes like peaches.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

Perhaps Sorhed (sore head?) is a distributor for "Zelena Muza" ("Green Muse" in Czech?). Perhaps he makes it. Perhaps he sells it. Maybe that's why he's promoting it here. And that's fine and dandy.
What's distressing is that he may actually DRINK it.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

By the way, I have a friend going to Prague and she can bring me a bottle or two. It's my chance to taste some swill at an ok price so what should I taste ? Maybe our international guinea pig can recommend something ? I know it wont be good but if it's at least anaticaly interesting...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:19 am: Edit

When your "fave Absinthe Brand" is Hill, It's usualy because you haven't tasted anything else yet... So anything taste better and look like a nice choice.

Sorhed, try some spanish from my favorite list and come back later with your reviews, I'm sure you wont keep Hills on your list. If you want to stick to the czech, try Sebor.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

Haha haha...
I like this guy.

Hills!

By Chevalier on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

Thank you, Ted, for assuming the role of absinthe übermeerschweinchen (top guinea pig) and czeching out the "competition". This is dedication: being all but certain that an absinth will taste awful, yet trying it anyway. Hopefully you don't have to pay for the samples.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:05 am: Edit

I've had it, and it was terrible. Like the other ripoff Czech products, this is not absinthe. Junk.

By Sorhed on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 08:11 am: Edit

I've recently tried "Zelena Muza" Czech absinth from Delis (www.delis.cz). Delicious. Pretty bitter. Nice choice, I think.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation