Homemade Absinthe Thread

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Homemade Absinthe Thread
By Admin on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:20 pm: Edit

this thread is closed, re-opening in new location

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Wolf #3 is almost an absinthe blanche. I wanted to color it blue but I didn't had the proper ingredient to do it (some properly dried petals...) I already reserved some space in my father's garden for next year... When you can't find something, grow it yourself!

I also experimented with tansy and this new taste is not properly integrated. I would rate this one in the same category as wolf #1, a first try.

One a more positive side, the integration of spearmint in the distilation phase makes a nicely fresh tasting product.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 05:09 pm: Edit

"Absinthe Wolf #2"

Very light green coloration, complex musky sexy smell. With a sugar cube and 1:6 ratio : Goody, I impress myself! Light louche but better than the #1. It louche whaite with the slightess hint of green. One of the modifications I made make it taste like one of the best absinthe I ever had... It's not the same of course but some herb I used reminds me of that one... I will improve it again for the next batch but I'm getting close to something very good.

The price of that clean smelling/tasting marvel : rejecting a tail of 500 ml (for a batch of 1200ml alc.) I now learned that the tail should be rejected by using your nose, not your eyes.

The smell was so nice I didn't want to waste it by using a strong coloration, that's why it only have a hint of green to it. The effects are more civilized than #1. It's there but it doesn't fuck you up.

Whithout giving any details:

I decreased Calamus, Fennel and coriander.

I increased green Anis, Absinthe, Damiana.

I added some Angelica, Gentiane and just one of those dreaded little star.

The coloration herbs have been adjusted too.

Tomorrow two quiet forum members will taste it, I hope they will post an honest review here.

...I still have to taste Wolf#3 (a completely diferent recipe).

By Luger on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 01:51 am: Edit

>"I will keep a mini bottle of this one and taste it >later in ??? month)"

>HAH!! That's what they all say!

A book about Swedish spiced Vodka, claims that it has to be saved for at least 5 years before tasting.
According to this author, this procedure improves the taste of the product, as well as the character of the owner!

By Artemis on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

" ... some deposit at the bottom of the bottle. Is it my coloration falling out or is it normal decantation process I don`t know for sure."

Well, it amounts to the same thing. It's normal for that to happen but it usually takes more than four days. You could always filter it if it bothers you.

"it's always a good idea to be patient..."

Yes, but just try doing so.

"I will keep a mini bottle of this one and taste it later in ??? month)"

HAH!! That's what they all say!

"It's still too minty but it's way better than every commercial piss I tasted ... "

Another convert. Like a Hobbit carrying a ring of power, you are now under a spell ...

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Four days later I can see some deposit at the bottom of the bottle. Is it my coloration falling out or is it normal decantation process I don`t know for sure. What I know it that the "Wolf #1" have a better taste now (it's always a good idea to be patient...I will keep a mini bottle of this one and taste it later in ??? month). It's still too minty but it's way better than every commercial piss I tasted (not including the simple but drinkable Segarra).

That's incredible what those kitchen goblins can do when I'm away...

Two other batch are macerating. Wolf #2 is an improved (and complexified) #1 and even now it smell damn good (musky delight! ... mioum!). The #3 is completly different and if my coloration works fine, it will louche of a very light blue-violet. Those two fairies should see the light of day tomorrow afternoon...

Those should be ready for the december 30 mini-GT. Those new batch will be too young to be tasted but we will drink it anyway. By the way if some forum members are in the Montreal area on december 30, send me an email before DEC-30 and you will be welcome at my place for a tasting.

That's incredible what those kitchen goblins can do when I'm away...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Nice one Wolfy. You're a man with attitude and a go-ahead spirit.

Hobgoblin

By Wolfgang on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Oooookey!

There it is. No damage done to my kitchen. I made one liter of acceptable quality absinthe verte. Of course I will have to adjust my process and some quantities in the next batch...

Here`s what I did...

After 36 hours I added 250 ml of alcohol to make 1 liter*. I heated this mix to about 40 degree for 30 min.

I added 500 ml* of water and closed the apparatus. In the mean time I improved it by installing a better cooling "system" using water tap coolant. I also installed a removable plastic tube between the still copper neck output and the condensor input (usefull to get rid of the head and be sure it's not going to accumulate in the condenser). A thermomether have been added too. As I said to Artemis, I also installed a filter to protect the boiler vent against clogging. The whole cooker fit's into a larger pot filled with water.

It took only about 1h to collect 100ml of head and tail plus 900ml of clear spirit *. I diluted the clear spirit by adding 100ml of water and estimated the result to be about 80% alc.

Later I put 750ml in the double boiler and added the coloring herbs* :

15g wild mild mint
2g Hyssop
1g sage
1g melissa
2g green anis

I raised the temperature to about 40 degree and waited for 15 min*.

I filtered two time using coffe filters. and added the remaining 250 ml of uncolored absinthe. I lost about 100ml in the coloring process.

So now I have 900 ml of neon green unperfect but interesting absinthe. It taste too lemony and I would prefer more anis. It louche but not strongly. Of course it's minty, maybe a bit too much. The bitterness is not too much and I could use a bit more A.A.

The effect are huge. One glass and it's there in a very fucked up way. It feels like the green fairy is taking your head and shaking it in every directions. It reminds me of Maignan's painting "The green muse" . It doesn't last long doo and it let you with a slightly increased heart beat. I suspect calamus plays a large part in that effect.

Next time I will use a bit less coriander, more anis, less calamus, more damiana and a bit more grande absinthe. I will step the whole 1 liter alc. at the same time. I will put a little bit more water before distillation. I will collect the distillate slowly (about 2h). I will color for no more than 5-10 min. and will use less mint.

Unfortunatly, it's also the last time I share so much details publicly. I you want to know more, you will have to contact me via email. I hope my first time experience have been inspirational to some of you. It's not so dificult to make absinthe but it take time and dedication to make something good. I learned more about absinthe while doing that than during my last year of looking through the net and in books. I created a flawed first attempt product but it's still better than the commercial swill.

If some law enforcer suckers read this I say fuck you, I just created a story in a public forum for everybodies enjoyment and I only drink duty paid alcohol.

Now let's have another drink !

By Wolfgang on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Correction (now I have my book):
25g Artemisia A.
75g Green anis
40g Fennel

10g Coriander
10g Calamus
5g Hysope
5g Damiana
5g St-John`s wort

Now the brew smells a bit like NS...but we will see what happen later...

Some people still beleives in thujone so let`s do some maths... 25g * 0.3% extracted oil * 0.8 thujone content in oil gives about 60mg in what will be about 1L of absinthe. Of course I assume 0.3% of oil extracted (I saw this number somewhere, I can`t remember the source...), that may be more or less. With such a number, I`m afraid it will too bitter.

By Wolfgang on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

I used 25 g of A.A. with 750 ml of 94%alc. (33.3g/L).

I don`t have my recipe with me now but if I remember there must be a total herb mass of 175g. It contains

A.A. (25g)
Green anis (75g)
Fennel (25g)

Calamus
Damiana
Coriander (the big seeds, that`a all I had)
Hyssop
St-John`s wort (wild)

I will wait until I taste it before taking any decision about what to use in the color step.

By Bryan on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

Actually, your amounts of A.A. are very close to correct, zman was thinking single liter batch. I set him straight..... He was right about the badiane though..

By Wolfgang on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 06:24 am: Edit

Balance, mortar and pestle have done their work. The mix smell so good that I can't beleive it won't be good. I'm just affraid I put too much differents herbs. I was so enthusiast I couln't limit myself to the 3 basic herbs. I just smelled and tasted the herbs and composed an inspired mix while keeping the medicinal properties in mind. I also kept in mind that I plan to use some mild wild mint and a bit of melissa in the coloration step.

I plan to macerate it for 36 hour at room temperature. That should be more than enaught (?) because there's so much herb in there that it look like a thick soup.

If the end result is interesting, don't worry I will share the recipe. Of course this is a small batch (750ml of 94% alc) just for fun. The real work will begin when I will brew my "single herb test distilates"...

The kitchens gnomes are afraid at the sight of my apparatus but charmed by the smell of the herbs...

By Artist on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 01:40 am: Edit

Some interesting pictures...

http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

So 4 oz of A.A. in a batch of about 3 L of final product (37.7g/L) is too much ?

If I just compare with the receipe provided in the faq...
Dick's receipe gives about 20g/L and the #3 from Arnold's article gives about 25g/L ...

I will probably try a target of about 25-30g/L with lot's of other herbs to balance the bitterness.

By Zman7 on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:23 pm: Edit

1. 4 ounces = 113grams = very bitter
2. badiane
3. 75%ethanol vs. 85 or 95%
4. other nit-picky things.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:00 pm: Edit

why?

By Zman7 on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Sucks.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:39 am: Edit

Question to those who know...

What do you think of this receipe ? According to this guy, it's very bitter and he's still trying to fine tune it.

I'm not trying to find a receipe, I will do my own, but to figure out how much herb I should use per L. of ethanol...

By Zman7 on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 09:57 am: Edit

Wolfgang,
If you're ever in the Seattle area, we gotta get together.
MB

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:26 am: Edit

I found a nice herb shop yesterday and brought 12 different herbs.

I think every dedicated absintheur should go buy a sample of every herbs traditionaly used in absinthe. It's an interesting experience to smell and taste those herbs. Even if it's been a long time, I recognized some nice smells from Jade...

By the way, I dont know what will be the price of shipping from www.Gaines.com but it looks like A.A is cheaper there than at my local herb shop.

I even found some extremely high quality wild mint (harvested in the wilderness of Quebec). My girlfriend did a tisane with it and some St. John's Wort and it was exceptional (way better than the commercial tisane she use to drink). If the quality is comparable for all their herbs, It will be great. The herborist also gave me an address in Ontario where I may be able to find rare live plant like A.Pontica (but she didn't event knew about that variety of artemisia...).

----------------

I will meet with two forum "lurkers" from Montreal on December 30. If everything goes well we will taste that "fictional product coming form one of our imaginary friend" then. I should have a blanche and a verte (I wont risk wasting all my blanche and it will be interesting to taste both versions).

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 10:12 am: Edit

I'm finding this fictional account quite enjoyable and I hope the "protagonist" will produce a nice absinthe blanche very soon without blowing up his kitchen...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

Thank`s for your concern. I already improved the apparatus. Layers of filters will protect the output of the boiler, don`t worry.

By Artemis on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit

"Is it better to filter out the herbs before the distillation or to distill with the herb mass in the pot?"

You tell us, Wolf. You're the intrepid explorer in this field. Who else has revealed the sludge at the heart of Serpis?

"Do you know if Pernod and other top antic producers were removing the herbs before distillation?"

Yes, I do know.

Smartass mode off: They put the herbs into the still.

WARNING: If you clog the vent of that pressure cooker with erupting herb mass, which is almost a certainly with the rig you described, you're going to be in a world of shit. I urge you again to reconsider the status of your apparatus.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

Question.

Is it better to filter out the herbs before the distillation or to distill with the herb mass in the pot ? Do you know if Pernod and other top antic producers were removing the herbs before distillation ?

My intuition tells me that it could be better to heat the herbs to extract more oil but who knows...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 03:00 pm: Edit

I did some other experimentations with some other (fresh) herbs... I'm now drinking an excellent Serpis...

The coloration step is like adding the spices to a meal. Have you ever cooked a meal without using any spices or flavoring ingredient at all ?

By Etienne on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 07:40 am: Edit

No, distilled Scotties. They HAVE to taste better than Scotch!

From a Bourbon drinker.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

Peat moss absinthe made from re-distilled scotch ? :-)

By Etienne on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 06:51 am: Edit

Like Dogwood?

By Artemis on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 03:07 am: Edit

" using herbs from my terroir to perfume it "

Cold water, drop by drop ....

The scent of Scottish Terrior fills the room ...

By Petermarc on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 04:34 pm: Edit

the two best known distilleries in pontarlier make pine liquor...wouldn't be surprised if some ended up in someone's absinthe...

By Wolfgang on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Yes they would taxe me on my way back. If I spend at least 7 days in the US I can bring back 1.4 litre of alcohol without tax.

To be continued via email.

PS : the "fir colored absinthe" never became clear again after I added some water to lower it down to a normal degree. I'm now using it mixed with Segarra and it's great. Very fresh in the mouth. I already have some inspiration to make an "Absinthe Grand Nord" using herbs from my terroir to perfume it. It would be designed to taste good when sugared with maple syrop ;-)... I'm dreaming...

By the way, I don't see why we should dilute an Hausgemacht anyway...

By Bob_Chong on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Wolf:

If you drove to the US (less than an hour away, right?) and brought back some cheap, US liquor, how much duty do you have to pay? Are you not allowed to bring in some, duty free? Then again, you live and toil for a bloodsucking regime up there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they taxed you coming and going.

Anyway, if you're having trouble getting affordable alcohol, email me after the New Year and I'd be happy to mail you some 95% grain alcohol. It's usually $11 or $12 per bottle here. Just let me know.

BC

By Mr_Carfax on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:38 pm: Edit

I finally got inspired and planted my absinthe garden about a month back.

The A.A is not having a happy time and struggling (so much for rampant noxious weed) - while the fennel is multiplying like rabbits and the angelica is getting quite sizable.....

By Wolfgang on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 10:27 am: Edit

Mail order may be a solution if the seller is willing to declare it as something else (otherwise it will get stuck at the border...).

By Wolfgang on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 10:24 am: Edit

Now here's my analytical approach.

After finding the herbs, I will "work them" one by one to build myself a collection of herbal distillates. I will then be able to identify the taste and smell of every particular herbs. This will of course be done in parallel with some more research about the medicinal properties of each herbs. (Ok, ok, maybe I will first do a small batch of simple "A.A./anis/fennel" just to have something to drink while doing the reseach :-) ).

Do someone know if calamus was used in antic absinthes ?

By Zman7 on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Wolfgang,
Wow, that is expensive. I have purchased Everclear in BC for (US$)16.00. Have you looked into having some mail-ordered? Is it possible to drive to another province where it may be cheaper?
Just a thought.

By Wolfgang on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

90% alcool from SAQ 1.14L = 56 can $.
40% Vodka 1.14L is about 30$.

When I say alcohol is expensive in Quebec I really mean it.

So unless I also make my own alcohol, there's no way around it.

That's why I didn't try it before. It's not cost effective. Now I want to do it not because of money but because I want to increase my knowledge of the green fairy.

By Zman7 on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 10:03 am: Edit

Wolfgang,
There are gardening sources of pontica in Canada. During my search for it I found several mail order outfits, but they will only ship withing Canada. Fortunately, I was able to start my own pontica garden. I'll try and dig up the Canadian websites and email them to you. BTW, I think your cost estimate for HG is way off.The initial startup may be high, but subsequent batches should have your costs decreasing.
MB

By Wolfgang on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 09:43 am: Edit

Live plants and cuttings can't pass the Canadian customs. I sadly learned about it when I came back from France with a cutting of A.A. . Anyway I don't have a garden. One day I will but for now I have no choice but to use dryed herbs (Unless I go through the trouble of growing it in my father's garden, witch may becomes a temporary solution).

"My son, why do you want me to grow those nasty shrubs in my garden ?"

By Bob_Chong on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 09:15 am: Edit

Time to start gardening, Wolfgang.

http://www.handhbotanicals.com/2001a.html

By Wolfgang on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 08:51 am: Edit

Link with medicinal description of herbs...

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/center.asp?centerid=24

I'm affraid Zman is right, A.Pontica is difficult to find, I'm still looking. If someone find a source via Internet or in Montreal, please share.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Cost estimate for alcohol, wormwood, anis and fennel to make 1 litre of "La bleu style" clear absinthe is near 60 Can$. of course most of the cost comes from the alcohol. Add maybe 6 hour of work at a low 10$ an hour wage and it crank up to 120 $ a bottle (77 US$).

It will have to beat even Segarra to be cost effective...

By Zman7 on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
For decent wormwood go to gainesnutrition.com
they have Frontier Herb Farms products for cheaper than anywhere else. For pontica, you'll have to grow that yourself, unless you live in Italy and are producing vermouth ;)

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Serpis! Wouahahahaha!

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I checked in the FAQ about herbs sources and most of the links are dead. Any recommendation on where to but some acceptable quality herbs online ?

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 08:52 pm: Edit

LOL !!! :-)

do you want a sample ? Wouhouhahaha !

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Blasphemer!!!
What's next? The reconstitution of the fabled Slerpis???

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Head, double bolt your prosthesis !

Tonight I stripped the Red Lady !

I liberated the lady from the red demoniac grip of the Serpis spell. I'm now drinking a purified white angel and yes, it taste good.

That one passed the test way better than NS. What's recolted taste like the purified version of it's ancestor and what's left in the pot is red but not disgusting. I also removed some head and tail and kept it to compare the smell with what I recolted. It smelled just a little bit weird. It went down the sink and I only kept the heart, added some water to put it back around it's original 65 %.

My conclusion is that the manufacturing process of Serpis 65 must be better than NS70.

It's also very interesting to taste it without the disturbing color.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Heiko, "legally" I deny any homebrewing efforts and I`m just writing lies on a public forum. Unfortunatly you'r right, I may become quieter about it on the forum but will always be glad to answer questions by email to some people.

And did I forgot to tell: "would you boil jet fuel in your kitchen ? No of course ! So kid don't do that !"

Wolf...off to go buy a fire extinguisher and some material to improve his Dr Frankenshtein setup...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Remember, now, that the color step is not done for the color. The color is a side effect of the real purpose of the color step.

This (thinking that the color step was about color) was a massive error of the imitators of the various Pernods etc.

It's about finishing flavors in a delicate balance with the main herbs, themselves in a delicate balance with each other.

There is no single set of coloring herbs, they depend upon the main herbs used, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Natural coloration test :

Just to test the concept, I took 4 oz of this power stuff , heated it to about 45-50 degree and put some fresh fir needles in it (maybe a 1 oz shooter full of it). Note that I don`t consider this experiment as absinthe making, it`s just a ''scientifical'' experiment. I stired this potion for about 15 minute and then filtered the stuff. The result is light green and would be acceptable as an absinthe color. I then added 1 oz of water to it to lower down the alcohol content to an acceptable %. It louched. I put the bottle in a dark corner and will wait to see if it will become clear again.

I'm now tasting a 1 oz sample of it with a 5:1 water ratio and 1/2 sugar cube. Unsurprisingly it taste like...a Christmas tree ;-) . It's drinkable, interesting but of course I would not call it traditional absinthe. I take note of the result and will probably use just a bit of fir mixed with more traditional herbs next time.

Most relevant result : The coloration process is extremely important for the *taste* and not only for color. I knew it theoricaly, now I know it from experience.

On a side note, I still feel the "make you stare at the wall" effect of NS in this thing... Next step : find a local herborist...

By Petermarc on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:58 am: Edit

in a related story, a bizarre, isolated 'northern lights' phenomenon appeared over québec... a confused witness stated, 'it was weird, ey? had a lemony, licorice-smell...' update at eleven...

By Artemis on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:15 am: Edit

Well, I tried to steer this thread in another direction, but failed. Little can be done to improve Aion's response. I would stress that distilling can land you in jail in a lot of places, and that's more than enough reason to keep quiet about it.

I can speak to some general points that don't impinge upon anybody's trade secrets. These are all based upon basic theory and have nothing to do with personal experience, of which I have none:

"collected about 240 ml of perfectly clear liquid"

The distillate is always going to be perfectly clear.

"Alcohol ? Ho boy, this is killer stuff ! I have no idea but it must be at least 75%, maybe more."

When it first starts to run off, it's going to be almost 95%. How weak it gets depends upon how long you let it go.

"I don't want to send visual proof of my activities all around the globe..."

Smartest decision you made. With all due respect, smarter than boiling alcohol in the rig you described. I urge you not to do it again.

"Do you know if I lost most of the (maybe oily) herbal content in the process"

There's no "maybe" about the oily. If herbs did not contain essential oils, and if such oils did not rise with vapor, absinthe would be an impossibility. As to the issue of "losing most", there is far more to this than meets the eye, and I suspect there is not more than a mere handful of people in the world who know the theory AND know how to apply it to absinthe. For damn sure they aren't going to talk about it here.

"By the way, the foul mess inside the cooker after distillation was dark green and smelled ultra chemical. I can't believe I drank so many bottles of this stuff in the past!"

I can't believe it either, and that you keep recommending that crap to newbies who inquire. But if I had said so, you probably would have thought I was being snotty :^) ! If your experiment did nothing else, it hopefully showed you what garbage 99% of the "absinthe" sold in the world today is.

By Artist on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:38 am: Edit

Hey loveliest Verawench, you want to "sit" for some art (*grin*)???

By Aion on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:17 am: Edit

"unfortunately, homebrewers, the more experience they get, the more quiet they become"

Heiko,
there are 2 reasons that this topic is kept private:

1.)
It is against the laws in some countries
(it would be legal in Germany if you use a still smaller than 3l)

2.)
Especially the Hausgemachters have deepest
respect for the efforts 2 well known people
are making to offer an authentic product to
a wider public, who make perfect absinthe PROFESSIONALLY.

Heiko, you have met at least two Hausgemachters in
real life, and I am sure they would answer your questions, if you just ask them.

A.

By Heiko on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:31 am: Edit

unfortunately, homebrewers, the more experience they get, the more quiet they become.

Wolfgang, I'm afraid if you get more experience with your experiments you will also start to deny any homebrewing efforts on the forum... ;-)

By Verawench on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I wasn't being cynical. I was enjoying your stories and commentary. But whatever. I started this thread because, as Head pointed out to me, this is an absinthe forum where the topic of home absinthe making is rarely brought up, even in theory.

No, I don't distill anything. I have other hobbies. I was making room for people to share and swap stories, as you have done. Want to throw that back in my face?

I'm PMSing bad. Don't fucking get me started.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Vera, you started this topic... Have you ever distilled something ?

Then again you started a big empty thread and I filled it with real experience.

What do you have to share with us ?

By Verawench on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Methinks we've started a new tradition here:

A "Wolfgang the Absinthe Guinea Pig Thread" is bound to become a classic. Note the one where he's run out of absinthe and awaits its arrival amidst agony then happily announces when it does come in.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Last report :

drunk

It`s difficult to finish the third glass... I used only 1 oz per glass with a 1:6 ratio. If I compare it with my NS70%, this killer drink must be at least 10% higher in alcohol. I should get some descent equipment to measure those things... Unfortunatly (but not surprisingly) the herbal content is too low. The taste is not bad but a little lame.

I guess only a fraction of the escential oil got through the distillation process. Next time I will have to completly saturate it with herbs before going through distillation.

Technical note : the inner diameter of my tube is 3/16".

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 07:46 pm: Edit

1)
Question to those who know (you can reply by email if you want) : Do you know if I lost most of the (maybe oily) herbal content in the process ? As I said the louche is thick snow white but well, how can the escential oils travel with the alcohol vapor is still a mystery to me...

2)
By the way, the foul mess inside the cooker after distillation was dark green and smelled ultra chemical. I can't believe I drank so many bottles of this stuff in the past! I will never forget this and will have this troubling vision every time I pour a drink of NS (or any other pseudo absinthe oil mix). I will do the test with Serpis 65 just to see what happen... And later, maybe with a small quantity of Segarra.

My quest has just begun; false fearies be affraid !

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Well, not realy. There was no film in the camera and anyway, I don't want to send visual proof of my activities all around the globe...

All I can say is it's excessively easy to distill something. I didn't even had to break my cooker, I just removed the safety valve and installed a food grade plastic tube instead at the same place. Then I installed an ice bucket on a chair, sent two loop of tube through it and put my collector bottle on the floor. The cooker was on the stove at low temperature and I did it very slowly. That's it. No mystery. Note that I didn't say it's easy to make good absinthe...

The "thing" that I'm drinking now is interesting (because it have no sugar and no artificial color) but it's still far away from being good. To really do something better I will have to find some pure alcohol, filter it some more in activated coal then find a source for good quality herbs and then begin the real work... It will take me tons of hours and cost me a fortune in alcohol (half the price of alcohol in Quebec is taxes...). And I'm still not talking about natural coloration...

The work is huge but extremely rewarding for the passionate absintheur.

*The alcohol content is too high compared to the herbal content of this potion, I should try to add some herbs in it...*

By Artist on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

How about some pictures??? (your cooker and the result, etc., etc., etc.) And maybe you after you consumption?

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

OOoook!

There it is. I collected about 240 ml of perfectly clear liquid. At first I was afraid to be left with only "vodka"... I poured an oz in a tall glass and added cold water in a 1:5 ratio (without sugar). Snow white! Heavy cloudy louche. Whouhou! Magic!

Now how does it taste...

Dry, very dry and bitter. So I reached my sugar removal goal and the dirty artificial color also went away. It's bitterand anis is just there in the background. The lemon taste from NS is still there but more refined. Less oily, less stiky. And the most important thing, the pleasurable bitter, woody musky taste of absinthe is there. The nose is very light doo.

Alcohol ? Ho boy, this is killer stuff ! I have no idea but it must be at least 75%, maybe more.
I don't know if I will be able to try another glass tonight with a sugar cube.

This is an interesting first experience and will not be the last.

Now that the cooker have cooled down I will go take a look at what's left inside...

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:03 pm: Edit

50 ml done... about 1 or two drop every second...freaking slow but I dont even have a thermometer so I do it slowly to be able to detect when alcohol stop droping... (I ear Don laughing is ass off from the other side of the world ;-).

Well, that's a beginning.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:35 pm: Edit

No no, I can do better...

I'm now testing my modified pressure cooker...

125 ml Versinthe, 250 ml NS70 and 75 ml extra water.

Theoricaly that could produce 231.25 ml of alcohol, I expect about 200 ml because of loss (the cooker is very big). If I can get 80% alc. with that stoneage setup that will give me back 150 ml of "Wolfie`s Purified Power Absinthe".

What am I expecting to win with this ? An unsweetened and hopefully drinkable absinthe plus a first experience at boiling up alc.

Ok, I will go back checking my infernal apparatus and will report back later...

By Artemis on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 02:29 am: Edit

I can do better than that. Head and I wore home brewing out in a Head to head conversation that went way into the night last weekend.

Let's talk about Head.
I'll start a new thread.

By Verawench on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Hahahahaha, see?

By Chevalier on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

FDA magnet.
There are no "home brewers" around here. A little bit of German is in order right now. Got it?

By Verawench on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Head, you inspired me.

Come on, we can do it! Let's talk about home brewing.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation