Buyers Guide...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Buyers Guide...
By Tavarua on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 04:46 pm: Edit

It's like trying to persuade a wine connoisseur that "Night Train" is the good stuff.

By Petermarc on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 04:12 pm: Edit

especially since the 'la bleue' name was never officially used for an absinthe, but was for a pastis/anis...as fun as this carafe is (and it is) it was made for pastis (dates around the late 20's-early '30's, i'd guess)...

>'surmontée d'une fleur d'absinthe en forme d'étoile'
(over-placed by an absinthe flower in the shape of a star)
...uhn huh..

By Tavarua on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Relax everyone, calm down and take a deep breath. It's just more e-bay schlock and you should be immune to it's shockingly gross bullshit. Feeling better? That's good. Now have a look at a real antiquity:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1056760145

Haha, stings don't it.

By Franglais on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 07:07 pm: Edit

They should really have a baby on the label, considering Mata Hari was only five years old when they started making this absinthe.

By Cheri on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 06:24 pm: Edit

And the website seems to also promote that damn flaming sugar cube as to how to drink absinthe!

Unless Mata Hari tastes so fucking bad, it tastes better with the burnt cube.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

this web-site is wrong on so many levels...

'No other alcoholic drink stimulated pain ting and poetry as much as absinthe did.'

i believe 'pain ting' was an early type of chinese S&M, made popular again by 19th century bohemians...

'Full & rich new taste'

uh, if the recipe is from 1881, then the taste would be 'old'...

the 'absinthe spoon' was used to pick up little munchies in mémé's salon...

am i just being obvious by pointing this out?
god this is painful, maybe it's just bad translation, yeah, that's it...after all, the french think there are words to the theme music for 'starsky and hutch,' maybe these guys are confused... or...maybe they've 'freaked-out' from 'doin'' too much absinthe...

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 03:36 pm: Edit

From http://www.absinthe.at/ :

Quote:

What is so special about Absinthe MATA HARI®:
Original recipe from 1881
No aniseed added

"No aniseed added"?! Ah, yes, because the anise might make it, y'know, taste like absinthe...

By Verawench on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 03:13 pm: Edit

"ABC
Add to ice cubes and stir until cold. 2 cl Absinthe MATA HARI®, 2 cl Bourbon, 2 cl Cointreau "

I'm going to be ill...

By Verawench on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 03:09 pm: Edit

See, I have this pet peeve for bad html code..

"=green>"

Grrr. Kill it.

Also, this absinthe was discussed by Aion a while back:

"Heaven help me, absinthe is produced commercially
in Austria too.
They insist, that their product is made according
to the original recipie, without any anise.
It is called "Mata Hari", sold for EUR 28 for
the 0,5 l bottle (60%).
Didn´t try it until now, but a friend told me it is garbage and tastes disgusting.

http://www.absinthe.at/
http://www.schnapsmuseum.com/ "

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 02:44 pm: Edit

From the same ad:

"I allways wonder why wormwood spirits often tast only like anise!! THIS ONE NOT!!)"

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Now let's get serious...

How much would you be willing to pay for an handcrafted blown glass modern Pontarlier (reservoir dosed...)style absinthe glass ?

I may go through the trouble of getting it done sometime this year...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Maybe i should quit my day job and start selling "absinthe kit"...

Or maybe "absinth kit" would sell better...

Let me see ... 2 plastic bags with mixed herbs, a cheap computer printed label, an instruction sheet saying :

1)ground herbs from bag #1 and add to pure grain alcohol and wait...
2) distill slowly and carefully (that's their f** problem)
3)step herbs from bag #2...
4)age for X days
5)come back on ebay and buy my cheap glass and spoons... Or my instruction sheet on how to build a still, or my instruction sheet on how to clean the green goo resulting from your kitchen explosion...

start at 25 US $ shipping not included.

I think I'm gonna give it a try one day just for fun... Sold as an historical mouthwash or potpourri of course...

Haha, I'm so bored.

By Heiko on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 12:48 pm: Edit

"thujon leads to halluzinations like cannabis"

to continue this argument, one needs to mention that it also leads to halluzinations like apple pie, grape juice or anything else that doesn't lead to halluzinations (like cannabis) ...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 12:32 pm: Edit

What is this ?

Mata Hari Absinthe on ebay

...Nice glass doo...

By Brett on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

That hampster reminds me of a friend at a party about a year ago. He had already finished half a case of Molson Canadian at the monster truck show and then showed up at my house and consumed more beer. He kind of wandered around a bit (figure 1), became sort of wierd and tipsy (figure 2) and then fell on the floor, rolled around, attacked my cat's scratching post and tried to lick his own nipple (figure 3).

[Absinthe was not involved in this party]

By Artemis on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 02:35 am: Edit

"Tests came back negative, but we're charging you with being a freak and a bastard all the same..."

Laughing out loud. Welcome to the new terrorist-proof Amerika. Oh wait, it was always that way ...

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:38 pm: Edit

I brought a baggie of Dots to the tri state gathering.

Someone said 'don't get pulled over with those!'

No shit. Tests came back negative, but we're charging you with being a freak and a bastard all the same...

By Zman7 on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:59 pm: Edit

The Saint Louis cubes, are they the ones made in Martinique?

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:03 pm: Edit

The Saint-Louis are also the one I prefer.

By Mvario on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 04:37 pm: Edit

and if you're in NYC they're about a buck or two (look towards the back) cheaper in the store (D&D)

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Get some French Saint Louis Sugar Tablets, I got a box from Gourmet Resource.......They are the traditional rectangular shape, and disolve very fast when the water hits them.
Jay

By Cheri on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

I'm a dot girl meself..

By Chevalier on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Deja vu?
A lovely sugar cube for absinthe: the DADDY domino. It dissolves quickly and can be broken into smaller pieces in a jiffy. Made in France, I think, since that's where I bought a box.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:11 pm: Edit

I didn't know where to post it but well... Some time ago someone contacted me via email asking where he could find A la Perruche sugar cube. It's easy to find in Montreal but for those out there who prefer to order it online I stumbled on a link for you : A la Perruche sugar . It's 8$ a box. Just do a "search" for "sugar".

Personaly I don't like it that much (difficult to disolve) but well...

By Cheri on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 07:13 pm: Edit

That's how I felt two Saturday nights ago.. sick, then dead.. like a hamster.. feet up.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 07:03 pm: Edit

hihihi... Those where the "scientific evidences" of the last century...

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Yknow, that hamster would make a fucking great tshirt.

Little word baloons with 'Sure, I've never had Absinthe' panel 1,

'Waitress, I'd like another please' (hic!) panel 2

'No, you don't understand, I LOVE you guys...' panel three

By Artist on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 05:08 pm: Edit

bra

vo

By Chevalier on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:22 pm: Edit

A Heiko haiku:

The hamster falls on the dance floor
The dance floor falls on the hamster
All things fall

By Petermarc on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:17 pm: Edit

heiko...
heiko

By Heiko on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

I have had two miniature bottles of Deva with me recently at a party in a club. Then they didn't sell any good drinks in glasses, so I ended up drinking Deva from an empty beer bottle. The second Deva I poured straight into the beer, which also tasted rather good. It wasn't good for my head, though...
That headache the next morning beat everything I've had in the last two years or so.

By Cheri on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 10:15 am: Edit

I got some Serpis I can donate!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 09:48 am: Edit

For those so inclined drinkers, I would recommend to bring small poket flask of Serpis65 to the bar and use your friend's empty glass (with the remaining ice cubes...) to serve yourself a wicked "vodka-orange juice". That's the only use for this red artificial color... Damn ugly world, look what you'r pushing me to !

Wolfgang-bad boy-Fener.

By Barsnake on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 09:41 am: Edit

yeah - me too
also got a bottle of deva - haven't opened it yet

- found out the hard way that N.S. 70 is not the best nitecap after trying to drink all the Stoli in the bar...

By Mvario on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Ditto, just received today an order I placed on 12/8 (my first taste of NS).

By Barsnake on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

Just received SC order placed 11/30 - safe and sound.

By Verawench on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 09:04 am: Edit

BC,

Neat!!

By Gsc3d on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:25 am: Edit

"Wicked cool website.. "

whos mine? if so, thanks

im adding more to the gallery one day soon. at least, i intend to.

I love that sodaplay site. I had forgotten all about it.

By Bob_Chong on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Flowing geometry? Try www.sodaplay.com

Have fun.

BC

By Verawench on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Love some of that perverse geometry.. it flows so beautifully.

By Verawench on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Wicked cool website..

By Gsc3d on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 02:22 am: Edit

yeah FSC = SC

Wasnt sure what you called it here.

As for the Czeck stuff. I sometimes like it although I prefer the spanish. I guess I was just hoping there was something new to try that wasnt gonna run me the same crazy prices as what is offered by the people who sell swiss here in the states.

Perhaps my hopes were too high. Not that I feel like its "the same old stuff" or anything. I just like variety.

Thanks Artist

By Artist on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 01:26 am: Edit

Okay, you found my soft spot...(I paint to share...)

I am not quite sure what "FSC" is, but I like "SC".

If you want to try S_bor, S_bor itself has some deals...

Artist

By Gsc3d on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 01:01 am: Edit

Ok now.

I thought my question would be better received here than that. Im not looking to search through your hoard of "secret absinthe web shop addresses." I was looking for info I might have missed. I really did want to know if everyone likes FSC.

Perhaps respectfully asking questions here is not the right route to follow? Next time Ill try it with some of that witty sarcasm people here throw around “like so much stale poo.”

Anyway…

Hey Artist. Just wanted to say I really like your artwork. Kinda inspiring.

-GSC

By Artist on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:44 am: Edit

I would certainly be glad to...maybe you're missing the new Scandinavian group that has popped up...

By Heiko on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:12 am: Edit

Oh, 250 you say... damn, you know more than I. Can we exchange secret absinthe webshop addresses? Maybe I have some you don't know yet?
;-)

By Artist on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:06 am: Edit

I thought it was about 250...

By Heiko on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:02 am: Edit

"Perhaps theres some places that are harder to find and arent listed in the buyres guide?"

Of course, there are at least two hundred secret webshops which all ship to the US - their prices are much better than SC's prices and they offer far more absinthe. LOL

By Gsc3d on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Hey,

Would any of you say FSC (opinion of course) is the best place for people in the US to order? I use them most of the time. The only times Ive ordered from anywhere else I was ordering Sebor. Im wondering if there is anywhere else that I should try. I like FSC for their prices and return policy. Actually Ive never had ANY trouble with them, even on really big orders.

I just kinda want to broaden my horizons and see if theres anything im missing. Perhaps theres some places that are harder to find and arent listed in the buyres guide? I found FSC with the same search that found this forum but have yet to locate any places that ship to the US using net searches.

Thanks a lot. Would it be best if anyone that wants to share info email me? To keep the names out of the board and whatnot. Email is in my profile, and on my webpage.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation