New La Bleue source?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:New La Bleue source?
By Petermarc on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:39 am: Edit

ditto

By Morriganlefey on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:26 am: Edit

Actually Destiny, most folks probably find absinthe reviews in "laymans terms" more informative (or at least more entertaining!) than snotty-nosed scientific reviews. I mean, which one do you get more out of:

"The full nose hints of hyssop and fennel, and the essence of star anise dances with imported angelica root at the back of the tongue"

or

"The scent is nostalgic of Stein's White Clown Makeup and it tastes like a mellow licorice-root brandy".

Keep 'em coming.

-M

By Destiny on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Next up, Wolvie's La Bleue...

Definitely different than Segerra. The anise seems well balanced with other flavors but there's also something else there that I've never tasted in the Spanish brands. For some reason this favor is causing me these weird flashes of being little and the scent of Stein's Clown White makeup. Maybe I was molested by an absinthe addicted clown? Hmmm, that might explain a few things...

Now that I think about it, my reviews are going to be basically worthless. I've tried various brands but never really studied them. I just don't have the palate or knowledge of herbs to identify what I am tasting. I guess all I can offer at this point is my uneducated personal preference so here it is. So far, I find Wolvie's La Bleue to be the most interesting. I wish Segerra didn't have that Brandy taste, it almost makes it a hybrid product. Unfortunately, Wolvie's Green will have to wait a couple days.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

c:mydocuments\000100.jpg
Piss on it! 5 times and no go.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Quote:

However, my understandng is that absinthe cannot be imported and that makes it different than rum.

Rum can't be imported either, unless you are properly licensed, and cannot be sent through the US mails. The penalties involved with illegally importing alcohol are much more severe than those involved in importing something containing an unapproved flavoring additive.

By Destiny on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:55 pm: Edit

That being said, the taste-off has begun...

First up, Segerra. I find the freshly-louched aroma to be overwhelmingly brandy-ish. Much less anise than the other Spanish I've tried, kinda mellow, reminds me more of licorice root. I started with no sugar, then added just a little. I added a full cube now and I like it much better sweet, it seems to bind the flavors together. The aroma seems to have mellowed now (is it me or has it really gone away?)

I will finish this glass while watching the Gilmore Girls and then move on...

By Destiny on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

I know, I know. I said it was just a "feeling", so it's nothing that can really be proven or disproven.

While I agree that seizure is extremely rare and isn't something to be concerned about, I don't completely agree with the "rum is the same as absinthe" theory. I'll admit that I'm not completely familiar with the laws regarding importing alcohol. However, my understandng is that absinthe cannot be imported and that makes it different than rum. Just because absinthe is not a big deal *now*, doesn't mean that it will not be put on a "watch list" tomorrow, next month, or next year. Highly unlikely, yes. Absolutely inconceivable, no.

I just find myself being shocked on an almost daily basis with the frivolity of our government, I wouldn't put anything past the petty bastards.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 03:36 pm: Edit

As has been pointed out time and time again, the only thing that would likely make a bottle say "sieze me" is that the contents smell of alcohol. It makes no difference if they know the label is for absinthe (in which case, this label is the LEAST suspicious) or rum.

By Destiny on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 11:37 am: Edit

My rationale...

(1) This particular label wasn't in the buying guide. Nothing I can do about the one's that already are.

(2) This particular label is obviously extremely easy to identify due to it's simplicity and color scheme.

(3) There seems to be more people reporting that things are being opened lately.

(4) Regardless of who is reading this, no point in making things easier.

Also, I never said anything at all about being arrested. I meant "seize me" as in the bottles being seized before they got to me.

Yeah, I know it's dumb and I already told you it was just a paranoid "feeling" that I had. But those feelings have served me well over the years and I just didn't want to do it - that's all, not a big deal.

By Heiko on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:56 am: Edit

"it just screams 'seize me!'"

Do you really think you're going to be busted because you are in possession of an half empty bottle of something that might possibly be absinthe (how can you tell for sure from a picture?) ??

"Sir, you're arrested for possession of an alcoholic drink that possibly contains traces of a non-fda-approved food-additive"

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 01:32 am: Edit

Destiny,

Who do you think is reading this? And what about all the pictures in the buying guide?

By Destiny on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Well, there ya go folks...

I knew someone would post it, but it wasn't gonna be me. I found it too easy to identify - it just screams "seize me!".

By Nolan on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I have been pestering/beggin Betina for some of that #2 la bleue for a while now.I never got to try it,it was available but I just kept ordering the #1.Then it was gone.She informed me just a few days ago that the #2 will be available again in limited supply ,but she will only sell it to her regular customers.Because it will be available only on a limited basis.I will be lookin forward to trying it now,since I missed it the last time.

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 01:38 pm: Edit

LL, anything but Sicco, O.K.? I find it quite derogatory and just plain mean. No, dems jokes bro, but on da real dough, man, where it at? I knows da LL be ree-presentin da crate up in hiz crib somes-wiz-air. I do,however, know a jockeyass whom posses several of the aforementioned crates(like da way I miz-iix it up?)that are not even being used for furniture, thus available, you pay shipping & there all yours...eBay?(clicking neurotically on my Ebay page....damn!) Looks like you've already posted yours for sale.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Sicco,
Look over your right shoulder for the milk crate.

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

LL....wheeeeere's the milk crate? I know I'm not the only one who still considers them furniture/moving boxes/storage/aphrodisiac(chicks dig guys with milk crates..Ladies? am I right?) Sammy da Bull ;-)>

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Destiny, now that's what I'm talking about. I come to Chatchkeys(sic) for the food, the fun and the atmosphere...wait, wrong forum. No, for real now, I appreciated your post. I am still on my absinthe "honeymoon" if you will. I've tried some spanish, some blue shit(never..ever, I repeat never again..) and Betty's Suisse #1. I just got some Deva 70% (I like's me da strong sit) & my appetite has outgrown my wallet & I plan on allocating some of wolvies here real soon. If I can time my budget/mail delivery just right, I may, just may have two different kinds (wolvie's & Betty's) together at the same time. I'll be up for a "Pepsi Challenge" with an unbiased, open mind. I now deal with Betty because to me, my piece of mind is worth it. I've heard nothing but praise for wolvies products & service, & if those prices are for real.....I'll be a postin fool anytime soon!! ;-)>

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 11:43 am: Edit

c:mydocumentswolvie.jpeg

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Misfire!

By Destiny on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 11:14 am: Edit

Sicboy, I am very happy with Wolvie. He promptly returned my email before and after I ordered and told me outright that the last oreders to the US took 3-4 weeks (but didn't know why). My order took just about two full weeks and there was even a holiday or two included in that time.

I'm not gonna slam Betty. I think her prices are beyond reasonable and disagree with her scare tactics. However, from what I hear, she provides excellent service to those that do business with her. However, her #2 was her real claim to fame and that's now gone. The way I see it, unless her #1 and #3 are much much better than Wolvie's stuff, then she may be in trouble. Of course, she does have some brands that I can't get anywhere else.

If you have the money and need it in a couple of days, or want a particular unavailable product, go with Betty. If not, Wolvie seems to be a much better deal - financially.

What we need is taste-off between Betty and Wolvie. A test based purely on taste, not money.

By Lint on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 08:31 am: Edit

come on...post a picture of the new label!

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 06:47 am: Edit

I love Betty, but with prices such as these..."I...must..warn.....others...being pulled....to the...dark...side". -equestrian-anus(jockeyass)

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 01:51 am: Edit

Siclet the Chiclet eater-
"This will take 3 weeks to get to you."
And it tastes better,
and it's cheaper.
And, it would look mo' shwervier on a blue milk crate.

LL the Wolvie-lover

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 01:15 am: Edit

I found the site, murder me in my sleep, the sweet relief that death will bring. Good thing I wasn't talkin shit, eh?

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 01:01 am: Edit

First things First, this is not a shit-talking post. O.K., that's done. I order from one person,Betty, now, & for three reasons; 1. Customer Service B. Quality & 4. SPEED!
That being said, I havnt dealt with Wolfie, or most of the others out there, I'm sure they are all wonderful. My question; finally, from personal experience, what was the shipping time, door to door for a bottle from aforementioned distiller? Because to me, it sounds kind of questionable as far as mail time is concerned. If I was told ahead of time, "this will take three weeks to get to you", I wouldnt mind, I just want to know ahead of time. If I'm being stupid, please send hatemail/replies personally to my email. ;)>

By Destiny on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 11:10 pm: Edit

FWIW, I've decided not to post a photo of wolvie's new label. I know it sounds dumb and paranoid but I just don't have a good feeling about doing it now.

However, tomorrow I will do my personal wolvie/Segerra/wolvie taste-off.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 08:11 pm: Edit

I'm not worried, just whinging. Because I'm out. The closest thing I have is a half bottle of Old Way, but I have to keep that for company coming in a few weeks.

Cryin' in my N.S. 70,
LL for lachrymal lout

By Destiny on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Don't fret you guys. I'm sure it will be there in a day or two. I feel so guilty, here I am with six full bottles while you're still waiting. Hey wait, six bottles? Oh my god... Wolvie sent me your bottles - HAHAHA!!!

I'll try and get some photos asap. I wish the bottles had two different lables so I could tell them apart after a wild night.

Too bad Donut won't have the Playboy party, I'd bring this stuff to sip by the hot tub.

By Maldoror on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I'm sure it's absolutely illegal, but I've been doing a little mixing of my absinthes. At first I did it to get through the ones I don't particularly like(i.e. a little La Bleue in my Deva) I found that Segarra and Wolvie's La Bleue(My two favorites) make a wonderful pair. If you have both I recommend trying it. If you hate it... sorry.

Maldoror

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Mine either.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Hey, no fair! You ordered after I did and mine hasn't come yet.

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Destiny, I'd love to see the pics, as I think the bottles I am receiving soon (I hope) should be from the same batch as yours. Your review would be welcomed by all I am sure!

By Destiny on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:30 pm: Edit

BTW, I'm waiting on some Segerra which should be here soon. I'm looking forward to a comparison with that, in particular.

By Destiny on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Last night I found a nice little surprise waiting in the mailbox - Wolvie's bleue and green had arrived. (And within about ten business days as expected.)

The labeling has completely changed since the pictures that Artist posted. I'll try and get a photo up if anyone cares.

A review will be forthcoming, but be warned, I am a heathen. I drink it, but have never been around anyone knowledgeable enough to explain the specific herbal tastes. Based on a quick little taste of each, the green seems much sharper on the tongue, woodsy and more overtly complex than the bleue. The bleue seems very clean and refreshing. The anise in both is balanced. Alcohol content seems significant.

I think that this was from his second shipment as he was waiting for more when I placed my order. I believe that more recent orders are from yet a third shipment.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:36 am: Edit

Hey... there's a pubic hair in my Deva... what the fuck!

By Wolfgang on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:21 am: Edit

In fact, if you look closely to the upper left corner of that old poster, you can see a wolf's eye in the clouds and it have not been photoshoped...

I have a little black book with all the research notes and recepies of the Moonman at home and this poster is on the cover...

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:06 am: Edit

Wolfgang,
Your friend from on high looks just like I pictured him! And yes, the Absinthe Orgy will be a great venue for Moonman the moonshiner's homebrew to be sampled.

By Wolfgang on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 08:53 am: Edit

We can't compare the cost of an homebrew made on the Moon from duty paid alcohol in a very small artisanal still with the cost of a larger scale setup making absinthe from less expensive (less taxed) alcohol. I don't know what's the cost of pure alcohol in Switzerland but I'm sure it's cheaper.

Doing it just for fun as a hobby, my friend doesn't care about the cost. Some process he use would not be cost-effective for commercial production. If he was making it for money, he wouldn't bother making such an herbal, spicy, herb packed monster killer fairy. Why ? not only because it's expensive and it takes more time to make something exceptionnal but because the extravagant taste would not suit every palate.

He gaves some to a friend of a friend this weekend. when she saw that we were not dropping dead after a glass (giddy but not dead), and after he assured her it was only alcohol and "innocent littles plants", she gave it a try. she said yumm!... but also said it tasted too herbaly medicinal to her own taste... On the other hand, he have no doubt that the NYC gt participant, who are dedicated absintheurs, will like it. With a sugar cube, it's a liquid candy!
Add 4-5 months of aging to it and it will be just perfect. I can't wait to get feedback from so many absintheurs in face to face. Now I will ask my friend to make another batch which will be a variation of the same recipe but with less anis, a little bit more of this and a little bit less of that...

In the meen time, here's a picture of my friend... ;-)

Wolf's friend on the Moon

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Illy E,
Still more than Oh Kay's original run, but I like Wolvie's shit mo' betta. It's worth it in my book. Glad you like Old Way, glad some like Segarra the mostest while I can't stand it, glad some folks be diggin' Betty. Just glad we all like absinthe. Vive the differences, or something or other.

By Illequipped on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

LL,
Got ya. I stand corrected.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Buddy Mal,
$60/.7L delivered for 8.
1 liter divided by .7=1.429. Times $60=$85.71.

By the way, the shipping on 2 bottles was roughly $40 (41+euros), so Wolvie ain't makin' a ton on this. Especially in light of Wolfgang's comments on how much his friend on the moon spends to make his homebrew.

Class dismissed,
LL

By Maldoror on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Also there's the fact that shipping is included with Wolvie. Lot better than S.C.'s disco-ass prices.

L.L. - confused by what you mean. You got 8, 70 ml bottles at $85 per liter? I suck at math so help me here. What does that mean as far as price per bottle for lager orders?

Mal-equipted to do math- doror

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 04:25 pm: Edit

For my 8 bottle order, the price comes out to $85/liter. I realise the bottles are .7L, I did the math.
As far as Oh Kay, to me, it tastes more like a better version of N.S., than anything. I wouldn't get it again for what it costs. I agree w/the majority of reviews that it is "not too bad", and better than the rest of the Spansinthes.

By Illequipped on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

I'm an infrequent-to-non-existent poster, but I thought I'd bring up a couple of things. Wolfie sells 700 ml. bottles, I believe, which makes his absinthe about $120 a liter, which is still a good deal compared to $200, I guess. It's surprising to me that people aren't raving about Old Way. I've had two blues and German Andy's green, and Old Way was the best or at least equal to them. I think the blues taste much like anisette any way. The other herbs are way in the background. They are easy to drink, but don't have that much depth. Last bit: is there anyone besides me who gets no secondary effects to speak of from Segarra?

By Drbeer on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 11:54 pm: Edit

*Anxiously awaits his order of la bleue*

By Destiny on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I broke down and finally decided to give Segerra a try. It should be here soon, I hope I like it.

Does anyone know if possession of a La Bleue is a big deal in Europe? If I had a bottle or two in a suitcase and it was checked for whatever reason, would I be get into trouble?

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I like Segarra... I will continue to buy Segarra... so fek off!

By Pan on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 08:41 pm: Edit

God, I hate rich people.

Unless they want to buy me things.

HINT. HINT.

-Dev

By Destiny on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Hey Dutch - Actually, I think that this will be Wolvie's second re-stock since the first reviews. I ordered some a couple of weeks ago and at that time he said he was getting more in a couple days. My order was suposedly shipped earlier this week. I wonder if the quality is consistent?

Pan's comment about the Porsche reminded me of a friend I had in high school. His parents bought him a convertable 911 on the condition that he kept a B average. He was lazy and only kept a C average so they took it away... and gave him a Corvette as punishment - no lie!!!

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Another dumb, boring, unspired market-values post:

Right now, you can get Segarra at just over $50/liter with an order of 5 liters.

Whereas Wolvie's LaBleue/verte are $85/liter with the bulk discount.

All of them are worth it IMO. There is no point in messing with the lesser varieties now that shipping has gone up so much, unless like Lord H. you honestly prefer them.

By Pan on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Kinda sounds like buying your son a Porsche 911 Turbo for his first car, doesn't it?

Still, as the proverbial Porsche-getting-son, who am I to complain.

Weeee!

-Dev

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Contacted Andy. Tripod changed their look, server's down until the 13th. Just use the e-mail.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I love this! A LaBleue has become the "gateway" absinthe for people. What a change from the ol' Deva 1st days.

By Dutch on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Hello to all from a long time lurker cum new member, both of the Forum and the Green Spirit.

I contacted Wolvie three days ago trying to place an order for La Bleue. He wrote back to say he was temporarily out of stock, but is expecting more to be available "next week". I will anxiously await the verdict of the experienced palates to determine what, (if any) difference exists between Wolvie's old and new stock.

Nolan, you're right about Wolvie's website. Attempts to access the site bring up his server- Lycos/tripod. I wonder if he's pulled his website off temporarily until the new stock arrives?

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 02:37 am: Edit

Wolvie's e-mail:

wolvie666@gmx.de

You'll be writing to Andy.

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Goes to figure . . . I send a little request, and he runs away.

*feeling rejected*

-Dev

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

http://members.tripod.de/wolvie666/lableue.html
I just cliked on this and I did not get to any thing like wolvies website.It is gone.Anyone know whats up?It just took me to a lycos site or something.Is wolvie the mark o th beast gone?

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:54 am: Edit

Im at work right now drinking this stained gutter water they call "coffee". Workplace rampage never looked so good. The coffe's about as weak as the brain power of the so called "managers".

(pablo goes to his happy place)

(pablo's happy place involves napalm right now!)

SERENITY NOW!!!

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:31 am: Edit

Join the crappy coffee office brigade!

Running on stinkin' 40-cent "shouldn't be vegan, but are" faux-cappucinos (no, no decent espresso bar within a mile)...

PV

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:27 am: Edit

Now, if hes stark naked from the waist down.....

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:14 am: Edit

He is drinking in his OFFICE with his swiss CO-WORKERS !

And I`m JEALOUS!

Wolf, drinking crappy coffee.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Have no fear double L, I'm flush with the green evil...

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Der Peekel,

I'm just wishing I'd bought more Wolvie's wonderous tonic w/that money. But, if I were in the vicinity, I'd gladly leave an orphan on your step.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:06 pm: Edit

L.L. Don't lament lost wages... I've got orders out all over the place, MBNA loves me! SOMEONE LOVES ME!!! And if you are really that upset about possibly wasting taste buds, I'll give you my address... oh wait, you all ready know it... just leave it all on the front porch then.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Maldoror,

Happy birthday, a fortuitous arrival for sure. I think the Green will grow on you.

Why, oh why did I reup heavy from SC? The stuff (N.S. 70, Versinthe, the Old Way isn't too bad though) tastes like crap in comparison to Wolvie's.

By Maldoror on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I received my two bottles today. My birthday. I'm currently in my office with my co-workers Laurent and Bruno, two swiss guys, "absinthe snobs", who grew up in Fribourg. They are both very impressed by this stuff. In particular the La Bleue which louches with "brillance" as Laurent says. I like the La Bleue over the Verte. And now I'm bored of writing and want more absinthe. Thanks Mr. Wolvie

Michael

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 01:12 am: Edit

I got a reply! It seems Peter is very busy and has a person named Andy answering his e-mails. Very polite person this Andy.

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 12:30 am: Edit

I placed an order with Wolvie several days ago. As soon as I sent the money via Paypal he stopped replying to my e-mails. Possibly he is away for the weekend? I merely wanted to make sure he had received the money and for him to let me know when he shipped my order.

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 12:27 am: Edit

I placed an order with Wolvie several days ago. As soon as I sent the money via Paypal he stopped replying to my e-mails. Possibly he is away for the weekend? I merely wanted to make sure he had received the money and for him to let me know when he shipped my order.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Wolvie does accept PayPal, and the price drops for larger orders. I placed one for 8 bottles, and the it put the cost @ about 1/2 of what "closing soon, for just a while longer" Justin charges per liter, delivered. For, in my opinion, a much superior product.

Waiting for it to be delivered,
Dah Liver

By Louched_Liver on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Mr. Malted Beverage,
I find the 2ndaries very good, indeed. And I haven't felt any from the Spansithes in ages.
And I still get them, even after a week or so.
That's suprising. Pleasantly so.

By Drbeer on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I've already read about the taste, mon ami! I was just curious as to what I should expect from these particular brands.

By the way, I hope you are successful in your artistic endeavors! Let me know how it all turns out.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 08:46 am: Edit

---disclaimer : Bored wolf at work, this will look like a long drunken monologue.---

DrBud, you should ask about the taste. It's easy to make a T. bomb that taste like crap. Nobody will lost his soul for something that taste bad. It would be like fucking an hag.

Short review of my firsts attempt #1, 2 and 3 where posted a month ago by Astralmind and Grimm. Those were horribly flawed and weak absinthes but #2 and 3 won the plam over the spanish (that doesn't say much but well, that's a beginning).

My goal is to drape the devil in so much velvet, sexy corsetry and lace that you will forget what you'r really drinking... My creature will poison your soul if you fornicate enough with it. Fortunatly for you (if you come to the NYC gt) you will only give her a kiss.

By the way, I romantize a lot about it. I set very high standard to myself but I'm still just a beginner. I'm still experimenting. I'm perfecting my process, I'm playing with different herbs (I have about 40 variety in my cabinet, lot's of things I will probably never use). I collect recipes from generous hausgematchers who share it with me (but I never use it, it's just for inspiration...I don't like to paint by numbers...). I also got some usefull insight from some of you, thanks guys, you'r saving me some time and money. Unfortunatly, I have to say that no recipe I got had a complete, perfect process. I hope to be able to complete the puzzle this year and be able to share the result with those who contributed to it's realisation.

But I talk too much, the samples will talk for themselves.

I have promised samples of my nexts batchs to some forumits and will send even more if it's very good (at least as good as some homemades who got rave review here), those first samples should be sent in less than 2 month. Those will only be the first worthy to be shared mini-bottles so don't expect the holy grail yet. I hope we will see some constructive critic here. I should also state that I'm not trying to make an antic reproduction, this is an artistic hobby for me. Some people paint, I craft eccentric hausgematches for my own pleasure.

My muse don't let me do more than what I need for my own usage (1 to 2L / month) so it will be very difficult to save some for the GT and the samples. I think it will be worth the effort to get the pleasure to share it and hear some critic, especially from those who have tasted the bests.

By Louched_Liver on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 03:01 am: Edit

Surgeon Suds,
They are very, very nice.

By Drbeer on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 10:58 pm: Edit

How are the secondary effects, if any, of Wolvie's absinthes?

By Destiny on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Your homebrew tastes of burnt hair? Is that vintage?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Don't even dare to call "babe" the lady who's my muse!

Her deep green eyes reflects in my elixirs and the fire of her hair burns at the core of every bottles.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
Your are bewitching!

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Yep, look the pic in the "old way" thread, I'm boiling them.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

AND his babe! How 'bout that?

By Destiny on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

kinky!

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Couple o' babies, he said.

By Destiny on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Wolfgang is bringing his kid to the NYC party?

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
Thanks for the input. It doesn't bother me at all. It will all be gone, if ya know what I mean, in a day or 2 anyway. I was just being an observant reporter. I actually kinda like to see it down there.
Looking forward to meeting you in NYC. And tasting the labor of your love.

Apreciatively,
LL

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Ted could answer that one better than me but to the best of my knowledge, long enough for the sediment to fall down so that it could be decanted/filtered.

Il the case of antic Pernod, we were talking about months.

By Destiny on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

I have some on the way. Extra chunky La Bleue, yummy...

I'm not too hip about aging Absinthe. In general, how long does a quality product age before being turned loose?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Sedimentation:

IMO, he probably got way more orders than expected, that would explain why it took so much time to ship and that would also explain why he didn`t bother to age it properly and filter out the sediment.

It should not affect the taste too much. You can always filter it out yourself.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Surgeon Suds,

Use Keyword Search. Check the archives.

LL the librarian

By Drbeer on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Is sedimentation bad? I'm guessing it is.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

And more: Both started showing sedimentation a few days ago, the Green more than the La Bleue. Using what for me is an excruciatingly slow drip, both louche pretty nicely. Besides the 2 Jades I've tried, these are the only 2 absinthes I drink w/sugar.
Did I say I love 'em?

Unabashedly cheering,
Louchey

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 11:46 pm: Edit

After much retasting,
Wolvies products are to drinking commercial absinthe, as drinking absinthe is to regular booze. A notch, or 2,3 above.

By Absinthesque2 on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Okay, to bring this thread back on topic, I've just had two glasses of Wolvie's "Verte", one with sugar and one without, and for my money, it's the best modern I've had and the only one that works with sugar. There's very little anise, a good deal of bitterness but nothing vile or reminiscent of the Czech. . .The louche is weak, comparable to Oxygenee or vintage. Head and shoulders above Spanish or any Swiss I've tried -- from Betty, Justin and the Doctor -- and cheaper too.

This is the first naturally colored absinthe I've sampled (I didn't get any of his La Bleue), and it is probably the best any of you can do. In the end, the price may not be as great as it seems at first glance. . .The bottles are only 700 ml., and the wait was unduly long, but this is a superior product, the closest by far to vintage that you're likely to get until the Jade becomes available.

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Don,

My agenda??? I didn't even initiate this discussion…Remember, this was all started by Webfly's posts…and I was responding to that and your post about Justin and Wolfgang's post about the same.

I am not out to build anyone up at anyone's expense...

Obviously, you do not read the posts very carefully.

What are you talking about? You have mixed everything up.

The "dragging of the post" was to point out that Justin advocates not buying from domestic sources, yet he is a domestic source…that strikes me as rather disingenuous.

The comment about Hemmingway and Deva is based upon a statement that comes out of the literature that Justin sends out when people inquire at his website about the absinthe he offers. And, if I remember correctly, YOU are the one who says the commercial absinthes made today, are NOTHING like the absinthes of old.

I didn't say I thought one La Bleue was better than another was, I said other forumites had indicated that (and in all honesty, I like Justin's La Bleue just a little bit better than Wolvies…but I don't think it is worth the additional price).

The comment about price difference is obvious and base on empirical data displayed in this forum.

Additionally, my initial comments questioning the veracity of Justin's business presence did not have to do with his La Bleue, I initially was responding to the fact that Deva was being sold for three times the price it was available for at SC at that time (including shipping) and the irony and disingenuousness of Justin's other post saying don't buy from domestic sources (I did question him about it and he never responded). I still like the La Bleue he offers and if money was no object I would buy more.

By the way, please note that I have not lowered myself to your level (cussing at me, telling me to do anatomically impossible things, etc.)…the furthest I have gone was to possibly impugn your intelligence a little when you accused me of hiding behind a "little anonymous handle" (but you brought this on yourself).

And, remember, this is about Justin's business presence…none of this is about him personally. I don't know him personally. For all I know, he could be the nicest guy in the world (maybe even the universe <-- Smart-Ass remark).

Eban.

P. S. I'm done with this subject (unless something really requires my response).

P. P. S. According to Verawench, I must really be baptized now…I have had a public disagreement with Don (*grin*).

P. P. P. S. Just for the record, I am nobody's troll, (except my own!!!).

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 03:03 pm: Edit

What I mean, you smarmy snot, is what are you doing dragging posts from ANOTHER FORUM onto this one? If you want to hassle Justin about an opinion about Spanish absinthe on the forum where he made the statement, I'm sure you are more than welcome to do so.

However, leave the Absinthe Ring garbade on the Absinthe Ring forum. This ain't the Absinthe Ring, thanks be to God.

Anyway, to advance the view that Justin is DISHONEST for stating an opinion that neither of you can readily prove or disprove, is patently absurd.

That's what I mean by agenda. You are out to tear Justin down and build up another vendor at his expense.

And all of that over varying degrees of overpriced for $30 highly variable Swiss bootleg.

Because that is what LB is and that is what LB sells for. I like the stuff well enough, but, I have never had the urge to pay MORE than $30 for it.

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Dear, dear Don,

I have no idea what you are talking about…

If you think I am reeking of agenda, would you be so kind as to tell me what you think it is?

(By the way, I would fuck myself if I could - (insert funny picture here) - I bet it would be enjoyable - but it happens to be anatomically impossible.)

If you think I am hiding behind a "little anonymous handle", you are incorrect. I chose a moniker that I like as my handle. I can't help it if you are not smart enough to click on my handle and see my profile which has my first and last name and my email and my website (there also have been pictures of me there at various times as well).

I also occasionally sign my posts with my name.

As to Justin being out of the LB business, I don't know - his website is still up.

As to the buyer's guide, let me put it to you this way:

If someone had incorrect information about your business printed/displayed somewhere, wouldn't you do everything you could to correct it? And, if you could not correct it, wouldn't you let people know it was inaccurate so there were no mistaken or unreasonable expectations?

Eban.

By Webfly on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Don,

Thanks so much for dropping the hint; I do have a MO stub dated 9-27-01 as well as a delivery confirmation receipt.

I did agonize over bringing this thing to the Forum and I did not mean for this to turn into a debate over Justin's honesty. It's really an issue of communication with a paying customer, not necessarily one of honesty.

I just needed a little help from someone who Justin might listen to or accept messages from. Ted, how do you resolve something with someone who refuses to communicate?

But Ted's right, let this not continue to be a Forum issue.

Hopefully, we will be able to privately resolve this. Thanks again Don, for graciously putting out the question to Justin on my behalf.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Artist, you are reeking of agenda, so go fuck yourself. I have no idea who YOU are, hiding behind your little anonymous handle like the coward you are. Justin is here and always has been with the forthrightness of his real name. So I'll take him over a hundred Artists.

You are beating a dead horse, since Juston is OUT of the LB business.

You don't like the BG? Take it up with Kallisti. SHE controls the content and updates it when she feels like.

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

Hmmm...

Don,

(I don't know him personally or your associates as well...he may be a very nice guy personally, but, in terms of his business, BEI, I disagree and stand by what I said. Remember, that is the only contact I have had with him...)

Yes, I did get what I paid for.

Quote:

If it's OK for 'Wolvie' to take 3-4 weeks to deliver, why is it not OK for BEI to take the same time? Double standard
isn't it?.

No it is not a double standard...BEI is domestic, Wolvie is overseas.

I don't care if he is on travel abroad...if he can't respond to emails in a timely manner, he should have the buyers guide corrected:

Quote:

Belle Epoch Importers
RECOMMENDED: US source ensuring no customs issues and insures all items shipped
very fast communications: Usually E-mails are replied within hours

Also, does this sound honest to you:

Quote:

This fine absinthe is very similar to that consumed by Hemingway in the 20's while he wrote his classic works in Spain.

The above quote refers to Deva 50 and is part of the information you receive from him when you inquire about ordering.

+++++++++

Wolfgang,

Also, if Justin were truely honest he would put his comments about most domestic sources being overpriced in his website and stress that what he offers in comparison is safety of shipment and speed (oops, not really speed *grin*)...

In terms of La Bleue, other people on this forum have said that Wolvie's La Bleue is better and we all know it is less expensive.

Please, I am not trying to start an argument (that's another department - thanks monty python)...I am just telling you what I think based on the contact I have had with him via business dealings...like I said, he may be the greatest guy in the world on a personal level.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 09:32 am: Edit

Artist,

You got what you paid for - right? Sounds like honesty to me.

If it's OK for 'Wolvie' to take 3-4 weeks to deliver, why is it not OK for BEI to take the same time? Double standard isn't it?.

Justin is often on travel abroad and can't always respond in a timely fashion to emails. Or so I am told. Not my personal style, but then BEI is NOT my business. For that matter neither is BEL.

Justin's been on this forum for years. Some of my closest associates know him personally, and vouch for him 1000%, that's good enough for me.

Sorry, but you are a newby. In a credibility contest with him, you are bound to lose.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 09:31 am: Edit

That's it, he is just being honest by telling you it's cheaper to buy from SC...That's all.

Of course if you'r looking for La Bleu, it's another story.

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 09:16 am: Edit

Webfly,

Now I understand...I dealt with BEI and they (he) took his sweet time with me (about a month from when I placed the order to when it arrived...ordered 09/30/01 and not received until 10/28/01)

Don,

I am one of everyone here, and quite frankly, I would disagree with your characterazation of Justin as straight, honest and reliable. He does not usually respond to emails within hours...I sent one inquiring about my order on 10/16/01 and I didn't hear anything so I resent my message on 10/23/01 and I finally heard back from him. (I sent him another email on 11/01/01 and I have NEVER heard any response back from him on that one.)

Also, he advises people to stay away from domestic sources because they are overpriced (see enclosed below)...Yet he is one of these overpriced domestic sources. It seems disingenuous when he is one of the overpriced sources, yet says not to buy from them...

Quote:

don`t buy from domestic sources they are often over priced. Use
www.spiritscorner.com. Just search for deva....

From the "The Absinthe Ring Forum"

>RE: Deva on the cheap?
> Author: chrysippvs
> Date:
> 10/25/01 4:23:40 PM
> chrysippvs, the author, may EDIT this message.
> Email:
> chrysippvs@aol.com
> don`t buy from domestic sources they are often over priced. Use
> www.spiritscorner.com. Just search for deva....
>
> Current Thread shown below:
> Deva on the cheap?
> Yellow Dog Dingo
> 10/25/01 12:04:46 AM
> RE: Deva on the cheap?
> chrysippvs
> 10/25/01 4:23:36 PM

By Absinthesque2 on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:49 am: Edit

My shipment from Wolvie just came through. It took four weeks, but at the price, it's worth the wait.

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:42 am: Edit

I believe these two should resolve this entirely off the forum.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:21 am: Edit

Earth to Justin Sledge.

Did Webfly send you $160 in September 2001?

Webfly, how did you pay him?

Got a cancelled check? A money order stub? Any proof of payment if Justin says he got nothing from you?

Otherwise, Justin, what gives? I'm sure there's an explanation as you are a straight, honest, reliable (ex) vendor, as everyone here knows.

By Webfly on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:05 am: Edit

Let me reiterate Mr. Walsh's statement in the form of my GREAT appreciation that Belle Epoque Liqueurs has NOTHING to do with Belle Epoch Imports - something which has been repeatedly mentioned on this forum.

I am distressed that my thread was used to confuse this issue. I should have known someone would do this. Watch my script: Belle Epoque Liqueurs has NOTHING to do with Belle Epoch Imports. OK? Now paste this on your refrigerator.

Yes, I contacted Justin in September and and the last I heard from him was yeah go ahead and send your hard-earned money, and yes, this is clearly my issue with Justin.

Thanks for the support from those of you who know what you're talking about and a special thanks to Don for his many informative posts.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:04 am: Edit

Furthermore, in case anyone is confused, Belle Epoque Liqueurs is NOT engaged in the business of domestic US reselling of absinthe or anything else.

BEL is a marketing company.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 06:56 am: Edit

Belle Epoque Liqueurs does not belong to Justin and has no connection with Belle Epoch Importers.

I suggest that anyone who remitted funds to the latter, should contact Justin and straighten this out. Justin is an honest and honorable person, while you, sirrah, are an unknown.

By Pablo on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 05:26 am: Edit

Upon closer examination it also states:

"Check out this forthcoming site for Belle Époque Liqueurs

www.Bestabsinthe.com - Soon to be offering the finest absinthe in the world at very low prices.

So you may not be out of luck.

By Pablo on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 05:17 am: Edit

I just looked at their site, and read this message: "ATTENTION: Belle Epoch Importers will be closing in the coming month or so. Please Order soon to avoid missing out!"

Im not sure how long this has been posted but.....
good luck. Hope you get your order.

By Heiko on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 05:02 am: Edit

BEI? Have you just sent money without confirming they still sell anything at all?
I thought this had been Justin's biz and he quit it long before September or something.

But, I'm not sure

By Webfly on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 04:28 am: Edit

Why do you "really gotta know"?

Because I sent a lot of money in SEPTEMBER and I haven't heard a whisper about the status of my order yet, despite numerous emails. I was just wondering if everyone gets treated this shabbily, or if I've been singled out for some reason. Never had a problem before, in that eventually, a bottle did reach me.

Here's what the Buyers Guide says:

Belle Epoch Importers
RECOMMENDED: US source ensuring no customs issues and insures all items shipped
very fast communications: Usually E-mails are replied within hours

Well, this would be a big fuckin' laugh, if I wasn't out 160.

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:09 am: Edit

Why do you "really gotta know"?

By Webfly on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

While we're still on the subject of LaBleue purchases, has anyone ordered any JLB from BEI lately? How'd it go? (I really gotta know.)

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Hey LL,

"Reup" that's great, haven't heard that since I was living with dope addicts!

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

It was over 3 weeks for me, and I was getting really antsy, as you can tell from my posts below.

But the absinthe is very good, and chances are the wait will be a lot shorter now that it's late January.

By Louched_Liver on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

How long was the wait? Too damn long! Especially when I reup. Which will be soon, 'cuz I'll be out soon!

LL

By Mvario on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 03:13 pm: Edit

...and I just placed an order.
Now what was the wait-time? ;-)

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Good stuff indeed! I wish I could stop drinking it and go back to bed. The LaBleue is more what I expected a "Lableue" to be from all the hubub. Not what I got for $160. The Verte/Green is tasty too. Just different than the usual Spansinthe.

2 thumbs up,
LL

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:49 pm: Edit

You got it. Good stuff.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:32 pm: Edit

PV,
Am I to assume you got yours today too? That would look like it was mass mailing when enough orders came in.

??,
LL

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Rimster,
Attah boy!
As noone says-
The more, the Fairyer.

Apologetically,
LL

By Rimbaud on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

I am indeed a New Yorker, and I am indeed ready to go down on the green fairy in June. I'll be there!

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Rimbro',
I got yer back. Yes, this stuff is very cost effective, to put it bluntly.

Yours in openin' the peeps of the desirous,
LL

By Rimbaud on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Louched Labia,

Yes, that's what happened. I thought they were one in the same, actually. Then I read your last post and scrolled down to the bottom of the thread where i found...Wolvie's URL! I have never ordered any La Bleue before, but now I can afford to buy a bottle. I did get to try it once, though. Very good stuff, indeed! Thanks for the heads up...

~21st Century Rim-job

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Rimeroo,
You down for the Fairy Fest in June? I see you are an NYer.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

OK, Wolvie's on the level. Definitely on the level. Buy as much of his stuff as you can afford.

*hic*

The Pickled Perruche

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Rimboy,
Wolvie only has one LaBleue, that I can see for sale. And the Verte. Get 1 of each, or 2 of each for $150 delivered. You thinkin' of the Isuisse guy?

Perplexed,
The Liver

By Crosby on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

My two bottles of verte arrived today also. Very well packed.Though the inside of the box smelled of absinthe, there was no leakage. I hope to have time to try it tonight.

Harry

By Rimbaud on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Hey L.L. (No, not Cool J),

Which of his La Bleues did you order, "Anisee" or "Traditionnelle"? Are the prices the same for all three kinds? What's up?

Sincerely,

21st Century Rimbaud

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
Artist's pictures are of much higher quality than mine would be.

Impressions-Packaging is bombproof.
Neither has any sedimentation.
Green is barely that. Just a tinge of color. Like weak green tea.
La Bleue smells like Betty's #3 I had at the Tri-State Soiree. Clean, not alcoholic, hint of "candy", like those red and white spiraled Brachs peppermints. And a whiff of vegetal. Neat, it tastes pretty good. More complex than Justin's for sure, and a tad more than the above mentioned Betty's. Louches weakly white, even with slow icewater drip. The smell mostly disappears when water is added. Taste is basically like Justin's and Betty's with more bitterness in the aftertaste, but not overwhelmingly so, and a little more "bottom end" in the intial taste.

The Green smells much more of alcohol, and tastes so when drank neat. The louche is the same as the Bleue, it's hard to tell them apart. There is just the very slightest green tint to it. The overtly alcohol smell goes away when water is added, supplanted by a very slightly earthy smell, with a hint of that "candy".

As Artist had pointed out, they are indeed similar to each other. Both have a nice mouthfeel (pretentious, me?), similar louche, and overall taste. Speaking 2ndarily, effects wise, they do the trick. Quickly.
Now the $150/2 question: worth it?
The Green-too much like a LaBleue, but not one, for what I think of as non-LaBleue "absinthe". Or should I look at it like it was another Bleue? Have to ponder that one. It's growing on me though.
The La Bleue-best I've had. And @ $150 for 1.4L, w/no delivery charges, an absolute bargain for us not hooked up like Big Donny Walshbanger. If you are one of those, like I was, who HAS TO TRY A LABLEUE, here ya go. Get .7 liters for $80, and see what's up w/it.

Sorry I can't tell you what herbs and spices I taste and smell, not that smart that way. And the Green is not like anything commercial to compare to-mostly resembles Jade's Nouvelle Orleans.

If the $$ amount is in your ballpark, give them a shot. Will I reorder? Yes.
Peter Wolvie is usually quick to respond to e-mails, is courteous, and was going to resend my order if it didn't show up by today. How's that for timing?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Yes and we want pictures! Me love pictures! (You can use yahoo picture service if you don`t want to suck too much bandwith and post the link).

By Maldoror on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:02 pm: Edit

El Liver

Very curious how it will compare to other (more expensive) La Bleues. Did you also get a bottle of Verte?

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

Package arrived, safe and sound. Sent my order by mail on Dec. 19th, so hang in there all of you who ordered from Wolvie after that date. I'll post when I get a chance to try them. Couple hours from now more than likely (I have to renew my driver's license today).

Giddy w/anticipation,
El Liver

By _Blackjack on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

I get the feeling Wolvie may not have been ready for he sudden influx of business. When I first wrote him, he said his site wasn't quite ready yet and he was surprised that Google had already indexed it. But, yes, I think waiting a bit is a good idea.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 08:13 pm: Edit

I have to agree with Don's post in another thread.

I recommend that people NOT order from Wolvie until he's taken care of those whose orders haven't arrived. With the exception of Artist, that seems to be all of us.

I prefer to assume the best about him at this point. Chances are, it's not his fault. Customs, airline security, backed-up mail from the holidays: who knows?

If that's the case, I feel really bad for him. If he has to replace those orders, it won't be cheap. But he knows what he needs to do, if he wants our repeat business.

We rely on SC because they follow through and make things right if there are problems. If he doesn't do the same, no one should trust him.

By Joalco on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 11:49 am: Edit

I'm waiting as well, but my order is still relatively new. The transaction went through on January 11th.

And of course, when the bottles show, we Austinites will share our thoughts.

jc

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 11:46 am: Edit

Uh, Tavvy boy. Look down a few posts. See, there I am!

Hiding in plain sight,
Dah Leevah

By Tavarua on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:31 am: Edit

Earlier this week, LL said he was dry and still waiting, and he ordered it several weeks ago. He said he would drop word when it arrived, and I haven't heard from him since.

By Crosby on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:07 am: Edit

Still waiting.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 05:57 am: Edit

Well, you seem to be the only one who has received anything from this vendor.

Can we have a roll call of those who have NOT received doodley squat from 'Wolvie'?

Even email responses?

By Artist on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 02:04 am: Edit

For anyone interested...

I mailed out on 12/10/01...I received my shipment on 12/28/01.

By Louched_Liver on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Count me in (out?) as well. Sent the envelope on the 19th of Dec. Peter-Wolvie that is-NOT PETERMARC!!!!-assures me that if it is a noshow in the next few days, it will be reshipped.
Got my SC order today, though. That was ordered on the 20th of Dec., came Fed Ex, and took longer than any of the other 13 orders I placed last year. Maybe there is hope after all, as the SC order was done online, the one to Wolvie, snailmail.
Happy to finally louche my liver again,
Louched Liver

By Absinthesque2 on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I'm still waiting on this one too. I ordered three weeks ago!!!

Mark

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:02 am: Edit

Still waiting; ordered before Xmas. Damn this "war on terrorism".

Those abstract nouns are wily bastards...

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0112-02.htm

By Crosby on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Has anyone besides Artist received their order? Peter told me shipping to the USA took seven to ten days. It's been over three weeks for me, not strange in and of itself but I would have expected more folks to have posted reviews by now.
Thanks,

Harry

By Artemis on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 07:45 am: Edit

"Of course not" implies it was a far-fetched assumption, but I, reading that post about "Peter", wondered:

1. Who the hell is Peter?
2. Is Wolvie Peter?
3. Does Wolvie want to be known publicly as Peter?
4. And, even though I was pretty sure I knew better, knowing Petermarc pretty well, is Petermarc Wolvie?

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Of course not. I'm refering to Peter Wolvie.

By Petermarc on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 03:46 pm: Edit

i am NOT the peter louched liver is referring to...

By Louched_Liver on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 09:08 pm: Edit

I have MSN, and all my e-mails have gotten through to Peter using the link from his site under "ordering".

By Joalco on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 05:48 am: Edit

I had a sneaking suspicion this might have something to do with Bill Gates sucking Satan's pecker...

Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this matter.

With any luck, the order will be placed within the next day or so, and at the next meeting of green-minded Austin-area folk we can give Wolvie's products a test drive.

cheers,

jc

By Heiko on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 02:04 am: Edit

Maybe his email provider blocks all mail from msn??

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I can't be sure, but something tells me it's probably your stupid, evil, fucked-up MSN account. A pox on them.

Do you have another account you can try using?

Hmmm. I notice he's dropped his price for two bottles...

By Joalco on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Perhaps I'm cursed. Perhaps my email's fudged. Perhaps the gods are mocking me. I've tried writing Wolvie three times now, and thus far every one has been returned to my MSN account. Anywho, I'm going to give it one more go and then give up for the evening... Thanks for the help, all.

By Artist on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 02:24 am: Edit

That's the same as I have (love the "666" designation - *grin*)...

By Crosby on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Joalco,

The address I contacted him at is: wolvie666@gmx.de. This was on 12-23-01, if it's changed since then I'll start worrying about where my bottles are.

Crosby

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I knew you would NEED that little extra magic potion sample some day...Taste it carefully, It may be the last time I did that version... I'm planning #4 now.

By Grimm on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 06:03 pm: Edit

damnit Wolfgang!

You reminded me about the #2 again! I have
resisted pretty well so far, waiting impatiently for news of my SC order. damn the postal service!

Alright, that's it! I'm trying the #2! I mean c'mon, I have all those nice little Saint-Louis sugar cubes just crying out to me in their little timid sugary voices 'eat me, eat me' well to hell with it! I'm beyond reasonable tonguing control now!

__
grimm

By Joalco on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 10:31 am: Edit

This is a throwback to the earlier conversation...

I tried contacting wolvie666 through the "order" section on his site and had my mail returned by a hotmail mailer-daemon.

Does anyone (publicly or via email) know how I can contact him? I'd love to try the goods...

Thanks in advance,

jc

By Artemis on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

"I can't resist using ... "

I told you so.

By Wolfgang on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I know I shouldn't. I know. But with all this talking about nice absinthe I can't resist using some of my "archived #2"... I should make another improved batch but being out of Pimpinella, I'm left with no choice (insert all my power of justification here).

By Artist on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:20 am: Edit

Alrighty...last night...three glasses of the new La Bleue and I was buzzed. Feeling no pain but wide awake and pretty clear headed (if I remember correctly - *grin*).

When I went to bed, I watched rather odd visual imagery (colorful, semi-disturbing but compelling patterns which appeared when I closed my eyes...) then vivid dreams (subjects to remain unsaid, otherwise I'd have to live in the insane thread) danced through my head.

Tonight, two glasses of the Green and feeling pretty good...but I think I'm liking the La Bleue betttttttteeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr.

Squirrelly yers,

a-man.

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 01:15 am: Edit

Nice reviews and great pictures. You have written what seems to me to be a rather careful review, aimed at some kind of objective description of the absinthes. Now I think you should get good and messed up on them, go back and and give us total subjectivity, i.e., what rocks your world about them and why.

After all, this is the forum famed for use of honorifics such as "Windex", "Lemon Pledge", and the slightly more desirable "Black Jellybean".

By Artist on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

Happy New Year To All!!!

Just got to my comparison last night…(finally).

For cleansing my palate, I tried the plane pasta…it left a metallic taste in my mouth and some of the larger pieces were difficult to chew…

Then I tried the other plane pasta, but Euclid finished it before me…

Okay, all kidding aside…

This time I used no sugar and had small amounts of each with three parts water. I used a piece of plane, I mean plain, bread and water between the tastings:

tasty time

From left to right:

Segarra, The Green, La Bleue, J La Bleue, mystery guest.

(Question, to those who know, about the glass in front of the J La Bleue: Is it an absinthe glass? It seems a little small - 100 ml. - I found it years ago at a garage sale and bought it at the time because it looked interesting…)

Now to the comparison:

In terms of louche:

Segerra: heavy.
Green: light.
LB: medium.
JLB: heavy.
MG: light.

Taste (I have listed the impressions for each together, even though they were arrived at after a number of sips going back and forth):

Segarra:

Dessert flavor (I have heard it called butterscotchy here and that seems appropriate for the taste). Not a lot of licorice/anise.

Doesn't really numb.

Green:

Slight alcohol flavor at first. Little bit bitter. Alcohol taste continues. Some, but not a lot of licorice/anise flavor.

LB:

More dessert flavor than the Green, but less than the Segarra. Smooth. Nice numbing - tongue. Now I would say that it has a bit more of the licorice/anise flavor than the Green (which is the opposite of what I said before).

JLB:

Mild in comparison. Woody.

MG:

Herbal (way too herbal).

The Green, LB and JLB all had some debris in the bottom of their respective bottles.

Alas, my ability to differentiate between licorice and anise does not seem honed yet. I can taste very heavy licorice/anise in drinks like Pernod and Arrak…I will do the suggested comparison with infusions of licorice and anise to try to learn to discern the different tastes.

At to "effects", that will have to wait for another time. Like this coming weekend, possibly. I will be taking the next few days off (from the green fairy, that is).

(So far, I never have noticed anything more that a quite relaxed state that includes feeling rather inebriated, whilst retaining a clear head (prosthesis) and mental acuity.)

Yours in the pursuit of enlightenment,

artist.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 04:16 pm: Edit

"...something to cleanse my palate between tastes...any suggestions?"

Just a piece of plain white bread and a glass of water. You want something without any strong flavors of its own.

"...I tend to not taste much of a difference between anise and licorice."

If you like licorice (I do!) try getting some tea made with licorice root, or even some of the fresh root itself. Get some green anise seed from an herb shop or natural foods store. Make two infusions with hot water and taste them side by side. They are both very nice but quite different, especially in their relative sweetness.

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 04:05 pm: Edit

some sort of plain pasta(no butter,tomato sauce---a tiny bit of olive oil and salt or plain bread) can soak up the flavors and the alcohol between takes...and most everyone can't tell the difference between anis and licorice tastes...don't reject what YOU think it tastes or smells like, the most ridiculous(seeming) decriptions can be the most enlightening...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I will be doing more of a comparative tasting tonight...I will have everything laid out: Green, Bleue, Segarra and J-Bleue...I also will need something to cleanse my palate between tastes...any suggestions?

(Remember, I am still new to this and am still honing my skills at discerning subtle tastes...I tend to not taste much of a difference between anise and licorice.)

I do love my little drinking companions...

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Beautiful furnishings, BTW, and such charming drinking companions you have.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:18 pm: Edit

"...most similar to Segarra (or maybe a cross with Justin's La Bleue), but less overtly strong in flavor."

Less overtly strong in flavor? What flavors are you able to detect, besides anise and wormwood?

More or less anise than Segarra?

How about the effects?

Sorry to be so interrogative -- I will be trying this myself, but I'd like to hear others' impressions too.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 06:44 am: Edit

Thanks Artist/Cat Dude. Can't wait for mine to show up. That was pretty quick service. So, is your overall impression one of value for money?
Yours in anticipation,
The Liver

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:50 am: Edit

Now, my tasting notes...

First impression:

They both louche (although not as strongly as Segarra or Justin's La Bleue or even Deva)

The Green: A rather light green in color. Very subtle flavor, not at all like Serpis, NS 70, Deva 50 & 70...most similar to Segarra (or maybe a cross with Justin's La Bleue), but less overtly strong in flavor.

La Bleue: Clear...Also very subtle...again, not at all like Serpis, NS 70, Deva 50 & 70...but maybe most similar to Justin's La Bleue, and a little less overt in flavor.

Second impressions:

They seem somewhat similar...

The Green is sweeter that the La Bleue. A little more licorice flavor as well.

They both are pleasant to drink, no odd smells or tastes (unlike what I believe most macerated brands have...)

I think I am going to stop using the A la Perruche sugar cubes...they seem to impart an ecru tinge to the louched absinthe (*grin*).

Now, I am tired and the little green fairies are pulling down my eyelids...so I will see y'all in my dreams.

artist.

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:16 am: Edit

CG gives up on trying to make it to the top (a little too buzzed)...

CG, Little One and Ming (from left to right)

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:11 am: Edit

I think they've had enough...

Skippy, CG and George

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:08 am: Edit

Maybe CG wants some...

CG looks thirsty...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:05 am: Edit

What are you doing down there?

Ming and Little One look questioningly...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 03:01 am: Edit

CG looks interested in the final product...

mmmmm, tasty...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:58 am: Edit

And, continuing (who's that in the background?):

CG and La Bleue louche...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:56 am: Edit

And, continuing (who's that in the background?):

CG and La Bleue louche

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:52 am: Edit

What the #!@#? Again, damnit!!!

Now, La Bleue:

The drip-trip begins...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:50 am: Edit

Alright, one more time...

Now, La Bleue (who's that in the background?):

The drip-trip begins

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:45 am: Edit

Now, La Bleue:

The drip trip begins...

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:40 am: Edit

The Green continues (drip, drip, drip):

whiter, cloudier still

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:36 am: Edit

The Green (with a little help from my friends) as it begins to louche:
The Green #1

By Artist on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 02:32 am: Edit

The two new vessels of liquid pleasure...
The Green and La Bleue

By Artist on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

The mailperson has just left me a little present...

Two bottles (they are both sealed as specified in the website and they both have what appears to be computer generated labels)...I will try them tonight (with pictures, I hope).

artist.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 02:53 am: Edit

To the best of my knowledge I have never communicated with the AbDoc, nor with isuisse/Wolvie, but, from the AbDoc we have the usual mantra of the domestic sellers "If you want to TAKE YOUR CHANCES with Customs..." Sigh.

And Wolvie's prices, indeed, don't seem to be too good to be true. They just seem to be less than the domestic sellers. I still think a liter of La Bleue is a great deal...for $30 (50 Chfr). What I pay.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 08:33 am: Edit

Well, I am wary of Absinthe Doc ever since he spammed me (with my address visible to everyone he cc:ed) with a "Make Money Fast" scheme.

Wolvie, on the other hand, responded quickly to my query, and says he reads the board, so he knows what he'd be in for if he tried to scam anyone. I won't be able to order for a few weeks, tho, so I look forward to others' reviews.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 05:23 am: Edit

I have my doubts about the Absinthe MD's remarks. The conventional wisdom is that the practical limit for a single shipment is 8 bottles; beyond that Customs will usually decide this isn't for personal use, and will demand an ATF Import license which of course -- won't be forthcoming.

Twenty bottles seems pretty sure to get nailed. Experiences anyone?

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 08:31 pm: Edit

I don't think Wolvie's prices are "too good to be true" in the practical sense. They're more like "approaching reasonable", assuming he sells products of some quality (won't know that until I've tried one). The fact that he undercuts any US source by so much $$$ just shows how skewed the market is for this stuff. I'm sure he'll still make out OK.

Don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to trying a little post-Xmas verte...

Happy holidays all,

PV

By Pantagruel on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Wolvie now accepts paypal for one's purchasing convenience....so eagerly waiting on/for a bottle to see what's the what

By Absinthesque2 on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 05:04 am: Edit

Thanks Kallisti,

I can live with this one.

Mark

By Admin on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Hi Absinthesque ... we had a server belch a couple months ago that wiped pw files ... if you want your original handle back, please email me!

By Absinthesque2 on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Hi,

I've been away for a long time. . .Password problems, and now I have a slightly modified handle. I'm very interested to hear what the results are from these sources. . .Hope you'll report. I contacted wolvie, and he sounds legit, but the prices do seem too good to be true.

Mark

By Artist on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Thanks, Artemis.

-----------------------------

I've done some searching and research and I will share what I have found out:

I contacted the guy who runs the URL:

http://isuisse.ifrance.com/veuve-bleue/

and even if you buy six at a time it is still over a hundred a bottle (unless he gave me a different price than he gives to others...).

I also contacted the absinthe MD (he runs the site:

http://www.geocities.com/swisslableue/index.html

and ships from within the USA), and was told by him:

"Also, the guy over at isuisse, is a close friend of mine. I buy from him. If you want to take the risks with customs, he is very cool & you will probably get the best deal from him. I buy 20 at a time from him. I get a discount, but it is a big risk for me. I don't think I can help you. Also, concider this. His La Bleue is my Superior. He calls the real la bleue (the clear strong stuff), "L'interdite", ask him about the price for that. You will then see a big difference. I changed the names for my own USA sales. "

The part that I find interesting is his comment:

"His La Bleue is my Superior. He calls the real la bleue (the clear strong stuff), "L'interdite", ask him about the price for that."

As I mentioned, I have ordered from Wolvie and am awaiting delivery (of both his "Bleue" and his "Green").

So, I guess you will soon (hopefully) have the opinions of me and da Livah.

Of course, as I am still rather new to consuming absinthe and learning and developing my taste buds, I will only be able to provide a neophyte's reaction. It would help tremendously to have something wonderful like JADE to compare them to (hint to Ted and Don)...

Yours in yearning and learning,

artist.

By Artemis on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:50 am: Edit

We avoid discussing details of shipment, specifically, we don't holler: "Hey isn't it funny how they put '*******' on the customs declaration instead of 'wormwood liquor'!"

SC is just shorthand to avoid having to type the name, AFAIK.

URLs, I don't remember any discussion of that.

By Artist on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Hello,

Will somebody give me a little guidance? I thought we were supposed to be circumspect with what we posted here...

For example: we use "SC" instead the actual name or URL...

a.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I'm going to give Wolvie a shot. I'll try to get the ball rolling tomorrow. He says German Andy is a pal of his. I'll be getting the La Bleue and the absinthe. Need to try something new. No Jade on the horizon.

Yours in possibly throwing money down the chute,
Livah the Lunkhead

By Gsc3d on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Nice.

Thanks for the info. They must not be too bad cuz the guy who pointed them out to me could be considered a compeditor as well.

thanks again. Ill do the search.

-GSC

By Tavarua on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

They have been discussed here in the past, run a keyword search. I believe it was Wolfgang who most recently brought them up, a few months back. I contacted them and got immediate feedback. They seem on the level, but I have heard bad things from one individual, of course, that individual was a competitor. If you order three or more bottles, the prices drop substantially.

By Gsc3d on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 11:17 am: Edit

as long as we're posting urls in the forum...

has anyone ever dealt with these people?

http://isuisse.ifrance.com/veuve-bleue/

Im told they have better prices than the gut listed below if you buy a few at a time.

anyone have any experience there?

By Artist on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I am currently awaiting receipt...(I thought this was the one mentioned many moons ago in the forum...I believe Don Walsh had refered to it)

By Tavarua on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I think it's time for the Pepsi challenge. Good discovery Blackjack. Anyone been here yet.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Google coughed up this today:

http://members.tripod.de/wolvie666/lableue.html

I seem to recall that Wolvie666 posted on Mike I.'s board at some point, but I don't recall whether he had anything good to say. His prices are pushing too-good-to-be-true, but who knows?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation