Grenier Mixers, Simple Syrup?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Grenier Mixers, Simple Syrup?
By Tavarua on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

I have relayed the info and he still says he needs this brand. So I guess I will take the advance of the majority: make sugar water, print out a Grenier label on my printer and voila, Grenier Simple Syrup. But in the mean time, if anyone comes across this brand of simple syrup, on the web, let me know.

BTW - it didn't test to well in Absinthe. It's actually for mixing with vodka and lemon juice and makes a very good drink.

By Artist on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 03:14 pm: Edit

My honey tastes really sweet after a little absinthe.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 01:20 pm: Edit

I use absinthe to sweeten my honey.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Try using some honey to sweeten your absinthe

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:37 pm: Edit

...should try it to sugar Serpis ... will report later ;-)

By Wolfgang on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Maple syrop have a strong taste of maple... Great with pancake but not so good with some drinks...

By Mr_Rabid on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 01:12 am: Edit

Droonk, and going to sleep soon. And how'art thou?

By Louched_Liver on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Morning Rabid, how are you?

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Don- to quote a Dilbert cartoon "there is a great demand in my country for bottled water and bags of fertile soil." "Is anyone selling you morons bottled air yet?"

By Artist on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I actually prefer a healthy dose of corn really lets your true colors shine through...

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Maple Syrple. It's the only way to go.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Wow. Someone actually bottles simple syrup.

Any bartender knows you make up your own simple syrup as needed, or daily. It's concentrated sugar water and won't keep, because it's the perfect growth medium for lots of bugs.

In the bottled form, the sodium benzoate is there to retard microbial (bacteria, yeast) infection, and the citric acid is there to acidify the sugar solution, making it unpalatable to bacteria, which prefer an alkaline medium.

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Sodium benzoate is a preservative and it wouldn't be present in more than tiny amounts, one would hope.

Citric acid? Add a few drops of lemon juice.

By Tavarua on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Thanks guys, but I actually need this brand. I did not suggest making my own, but I did suggest getting another brand to this individual and he indicated that while it was simple syrup, it contains citric acid and Benzoate soda which add to the flavor. All this trouble for a drink. It's actually a really good drink, "Volleyball", but I doubt it's worth the trouble.

By Bob_Chong on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:53 pm: Edit

The ratio of sugar to water can be left to personal preference, traditionally it is two parts water to one part sugar (you can play with this ratio to find what you like).

You first bring the water to a boil, then dissolve into this the sugar. Once the sugar is fully dissolved, you remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool. The resultant liquid is easily stored in a plastic squeeze bottle to make it easy to add to cocktails as necessary.

Some people say you should use superfine sugar. Regular table sugar is good enough.

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Why not just make your own?

Simple syrup is just sugar dissolved in water. Lots of coffee shops keep a bottle made during the summer for sweetening cold drinks.

By Tavarua on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I have been looking for liquer sweetener, called Simple Syrup made by Grenier Distributing Co. I have found out it can only been found on the left coast, more specifically California, and I am on the right. Does anyone know of a website that might carry this sweetener.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation