Bon Hiver!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Bon Hiver!!
By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 07:56 am: Edit

A nice clear frosty day to the West of London. I love these sort of days. About -2°C at night and about 3°C during the day. Lots of clear bright sun and no dullness, drizzle or greyness. If it keeps like this we may have snow on Christmas day (although the weather forecast says it is due to warm up a bit, but what the hell do they know anyway?).

Hobgoblin

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 04:00 am: Edit

Don't feel bad. We have roast suckling pig in the Bangkok expat bars free on Christmas, and it's hotter here than in Sydney. (Best: Silver Dollar Bar, in Washington Square) Basically this is Southern US cracklins.

(Ever had that dish at a Chinese banquet? Nobody eats anything but the skin, which is of course exquisite, with brown (sweet plum) sauce, preferably in a crepe a la mandarin duck...the rest of the pig goes back to the kitchen, where I suspect the staff feast on it and laugh at the diners...

By Verawench on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 11:57 pm: Edit

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... roast.

lol,
very drunk vera

By Mr_Carfax on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 10:45 pm: Edit

"yeah, that whole being on the bottom of the earth thing freaks me out. "

Bottom of the Earth? Err, we're on top, you just hold your maps upside down.....

Sydney, warm and 26C (78F)..looking to be 32C (90F)for Xmas...and we still have hot roast dinners..

By Giovannigray on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Washington, DC..coldest night of the season so far..35 now. Wolfgang, I sympathize..spent my childhood and teen years up your way!

By Wolfgang on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Snow, cold, Quebec. Damn it.

But a nice glass of segarra is there to cheer me up.

By Bjacques on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 09:03 pm: Edit

It's about 40 (5 C) here in Amsterdam. Not cold enough for snow and none in the French Alps, dangit!

By Artist on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Well...just to make some of you happy...

It is dull, dank and dreary here. Gloomy and rainy.

And, last night, we had thunder and lightning.

a.

By Chevalier on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 03:11 pm: Edit

We walk around upside down, and the water swirls counterclockwise down the drain. (The latter is true, BTW.)

By Admin on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

yeah, that whole being on the bottom of the earth thing freaks me out.

By Admin on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

yeah, that whole being on the bottom of the earth thing freaks me out.

By Chevalier on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Lest you Northern folk forget, half of the world (the bottom half) now has summer to contend with. A South American December consists of sweltering santas and cottonball snow. It was 90+ degrees in Santiago today, the sun will set at 8:57 PM, and the night will be muggy at best. Ho Ho Ho -- there ain't no snow.

(Oh, and it looks like Argentina will receive a new president for Christmas. Perhaps it will be the Peronist ex-president Menem, who I despise; he and his blonde Chilean wife (an ex-Miss Universe, soap opera queen and talk show host half his age) are trying to step into Juan and Eva Peron's shoes. I love Argentina and Argentines, but the race lacks a "decent government" gene.)

By Denial on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

wow..
70 in texas???
it's about 50 in san francisco, and i don't remember winters being this cold here ever. well, at least it feels colder than normal.
can't wait to get off work to warm up with a glass of deva...

By _Blackjack on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

And a boney bear to you too...

By Heiko on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 10:41 am: Edit

As long as there's snow, winter is nice - it's not grey but bright white then.
About 30 Fahrenheit here - but it has been substantially colder last week (don't ask me about Fahrenheit, it was -13° Celsius)

By Verawench on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

It's sunny, clear and about 70 degrees down here in good ol' Texas.

But that's ok, my heart is cold and silent.

By Petermarc on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

thanks artemis...
i think snow is a very fitting description of this forum...unique flakes that appear out of thin air, making something ordinary (or not so ordinary) interesting...
happy observations, everyone...

By Artemis on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 04:05 am: Edit

The Winter Solstice is at 2:22 Eastern Time in the U.S. on December 21st.

Bon Hiver, my friends. I remember a few years ago on the Winter Solstice, before I had found absinthe and this forum, the first snow started to come down heavy at the precise moment I lit my traditional Yule fire. I was a denizen of the Jethro Tull Usenet newsgroup at the time - after toasting the season with "chilling ale" (snowflakes actually falling right into the chalice), I came inside and posted something about fire and ice that seemed to go over well - people were asking if they could come to my house for a drink!

Well, this year there will be no snow and absinthe will take the place of ale by the fire, but please see:

http://www.chezmaya.com/Bump/hiver.html

Winter indeed turns the ordinary into the extraordinary.

The Marquis started a nice thread in Suffering is Hip Forum last year, titled "The Velvet Season". I just read it again, and I recommend it.

A fit subject for contemplation in the depth of Winter is silence. Katagiri Roshi, a Zen master who came to the U.S., was asked, what should we do when the weight of the world is crushing us.

"Retreat to the silence of yourself and stand there" was his answer.

To tie this together, please see this exploration of Winter Mind:

http://www.uua.org/world/2001/01/simmons.html

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation