OT: Ouzo question

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:OT: Ouzo question
By Admin on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Went to greek fest in New Orleans (in the middle of summer) and they had the wherewithall to fill a daiquiri machine with ouzo, and charged $2 for a big frozen ouzo. dude. it is the way to live.

I've always liked the stuff, Bat & I frequently do shots.

By Wormwood on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 04:21 am: Edit

I always enjoy my Ouzo chilled. Thats the way they serve it here at the local Greek festival too.

The stuff they serve flaming with the coffee beans is not Greek Ouzo, it is Sambuca. I think there is sugar in Sambuca but I'm not sure. I have only tasted Sambuca once, and yes I used the flaming coffee beans.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

Perhaps the flaming ritual is Italian in origin. The flame helps release the taste of coffee beans served in a glass of sambucca, in this case the flame does enhance the flavour of the drink. Although put the flame out before drinking unless you want a burnt lip.

Hobgoblin

By Brett on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 07:37 am: Edit

Never actually have had a flaming liquer. My friend burned himself pretty bad trying to have a flaming shot. He sipped it -why? I don't know. Apparently, he dropped the shot and the table lit on fire. In a restraunt, no less.

As far as the Ouzo -or any anis based drink for that matter- I've never put it in the fridge. When I actually picked the ouzo up, the night was quite cold and it chilled in my trunk and this seemed to strengthen the flavour -but then, I may have used less water than what I usually use.

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 10:56 am: Edit

all my french step-family is greek by blood...ouzo is served (by them) exactly like pastis, water added and usually an ice cube...there are high-quality ouzos(ouzo plomari from lesvos is amazingly fine and not expensive) that could be taken neat...i've never seen anyone put it in a frig...
shots of it are more of an american thing (my first experience was seeing flaming shots in the parthanon restaurant in chicago...maybe this is where the czech ritual came from...

By Don_Walsh on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Anise liquors will precipitate out crystalline anethole (anise oil) if chilled. Ouzo, anis, raki, arak, etc. and cerrtainly pastis and absinthe, ought not to be refrigerated.

Anise oil from star anise and anise oil from aniseseed, although both are principally anethole, will seperate out at somewhat different low temperatures due to the different minor constituents, or at least that's what Merck says.

By Emmy on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 11:12 pm: Edit

my stepdad (greek) always kept it at room temperature and usually just sipped it straight, sometimes on the rocks.

By Artist on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Ouzo?

By Brett on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Here's one that's been plaguing my father and I for a while -should Ouzo be chilled (read refrigerated) and served over ice/with water, or is it more traditional to keep Ouzo at room temperature?

Thanks!
Brett.

P.S. Just got my digital camera back, so I'll try to get a picture of the "alcohol" label that way instead of wrestling with the scanner.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation