Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Vintage
By Petermarc on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 01:50 pm: Edit

you never know...

By Absinthesque2 on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 06:22 pm: Edit

I was fortunate enough to have my first taste of vintage Pernod Fils tonight!

It was like nothing else I've had before; the flavor is far more nuanced, a layered herbal effect, a kind of woody taste, mint and a hint of tobacco in the aroma. . .a more distinct bitterness in the finish and much less anise.

The sugar makes sense to me now. . .In modern brands, I don't care to add sugar as it seems to overwhelm the flavors and makes the drink cloying, but with the vintage, sugar had a balancing effect and enriched the overall experience. (I had my first glass without it). I also noticed that adding sugar intensified the louche which was quite thin otherwise. I wonder if anyone else has observed this.

It was interesting to sample it next to some modern brands. . .my favorite La Bleue (not nearly as complex), Serpis 65 (that damned furniture polish aroma), Larsand (heavy handed with an overpowering dose of that woody finish) and (going from the sublime to the ridiculous) Absente. . .Except for the Absente, each seemed to have some of the elements but not all.

Anyway, I count myself lucky and doubt I'll ever have the privilege again. But you never know.

Considering the quantity I've had to drink, I'm quite clear-headed.

Happy holidays everyone.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation