François guy est arrivé

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:François guy est arrivé
By Petermarc on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:55 pm: Edit

it does...my cavist will not ship to the usa...call the distillery, or order from betty for a slight handling fee...

By Maldoror on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:52 pm: Edit

What is the best way of ordering a bottle or two of Francois Guy? I live in the U.S.(Incase that makes a difference)

By Petermarc on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:52 pm: Edit

i just noticed that the phone number on the back is for international dialing, not for inside france...i guess he thought much of his market would not be french...

By Petermarc on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:44 pm: Edit

they caught that mistake after the labels were printed, i guess...it's expensive because he uses a cork...
back

By Heiko on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I just received a bottle of Francois Guy (and two bottles of Pontarlier Anis). I must say I like the bottle very much, really nice "old school" style.

The absinthe is very good, I agree it is a little "thin" in taste, probably because of the low alcohol content - but neither Pontarlier Anis nor Segarra are stronger in taste (well, same alcohol content...).
However I like it very much, better than Segarra.
It compares to La Bleue and bootlegs only, forget about comparing it to the oily Spanish stuff!

What I don't understand is why it costs double as much as the Pontarlier Anis. The Anis tastes rather similar, only missing the wormwood note (but not totally??? Am I imagining this??).
I'd really love to be able to buy both of these liquors in stores in Germany - 30 Euro shipping for three bottles just adds very negatively to the price...

P.S.: The word "sucre" is crossed out with a black marker on the back label, the front label says "sans sucre" (like in the picture below)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

didn't break it, just the pair...ask justin...

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Etienne,

I have a matching pair of res. glasses if you are interested...just drop me a line..

PS I looked and I actually have three, although the third has some scratching..

By Etienne on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Petermarc;

Thanks for the photos. A couple of posts down you mention that you used to have a pair of those extremely cool glasses. You didn't (shudder) break one, did you?

By Petermarc on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 10:29 am: Edit

armand
françois

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:59 am: Edit

BTW, i was told by someone who just received a bottle of françois guy, that the word 'sucre' was crossed out on the back label of his bottle...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:55 am: Edit

if you can find a dosed pontarlier glass (not just a reservoir glass, well, even a reservoir, though much more common, if common is a good word) for $130 (shipping is usually the thing that hurts a good deal), buy it...the one i have is a freak, i have only seen two (amazingly, in pontarlier), which i bought immediately, and now only have the one...

By Tavarua on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Peter,

I have been on some crazed dose kick lately, and would like to know what I would pay for a glass such as that. A 1-3 ounce deep dose, maybe not as extravagent as the one you have there, but similiar. Assuming I would probably not find one in a flea market, what could I expect to pay? Except for down right shitty ones, I have not seen them for under 130 USD. Is this reasonable?

By Heiko on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 03:19 am: Edit

I tried an "earthquake" yesterday - I used Frappin cognac and Segarra.
It was good, except that it revealed some dirty note in Segarra (something you can also taste when you drink Segarra neat - it vanishes when you use water and sugar with it).

I think some other absinthe might have suited the drink better, but I just found it rude to mix Frappin with something less than Segarra (and didn't have any better, except for one glass of La Bleue that I wanted to save)

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 04:10 pm: Edit

guy 'earthquake'...thumbs up...not too intense to muddle the cognac, blends well, adds a fruity, fresh, slightly minty note to to the warm, saddle-leather roundness of the brandy...blends better with bas armagnac as it's rustic sweetness seems to meld better with the absinthe and anis...it seems our little fairy prefers to roll in the hay, more so than in 4-star sheets... i may grow to really like this stuff...

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

a big toy-store called 'france-r-us'

bring your euros, it starts in january...(they should have just adopted the dollar and saved themselves 10 years)

By Tavarua on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 11:09 am: Edit

Where do you get those wonderfull toys?

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 06:50 am: Edit

3 ounces...

By Etienne on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Peter;

If you EVER get tired of that glass, you will give me a call, won't you? ;-)

By Tavarua on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Damn Peter,

how many ounces is that reservoir?

By Petermarc on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 12:50 pm: Edit

this absinthe seems to follow a regional style, and can be compared to HD#9, which is why i raise the question of who was the creator... the GUY seems to be well filtered, the HD#9 did throw some sediment and is of a higher degree of alcohol...the difference between emile pernot's distilled anis and his classic version that has been around much longer, is that he uses licorice in the classic version...this leaves me to believe, along with his conviction that there was licorice in the vintage berger, that licorice was an ingredient in some original absinthes, and not just a tell-tale sign of a pastis...

By Artemis on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 08:35 am: Edit

"i now understand why ian thought it was clear, and this was his same response to the HD#9"

Haut Doubs #9 was definitely green, although so faint, it did make you question whether the color was really there or just imagination. It had that "bee-zahr" flavor; I believe Ted hinted it was licorice root. I take it Francois Guy left that out?

Anyway, thanks for the review.

By Petermarc on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

françois guy made good on his promise to have an absinthe ready for christmas, and my constant pokes at my local cavist paid off with it in their window tonight...amazingly at less than the projected 300 francs a bottle (268 francs, about $36) but, the cavist's wife explained, it IS a liter...which is true...'have you tried it?' no, she hadn't gotten a chance yet...well, i was trying to keep myself from investing, after trying it in pontarlier, but couldn't help myself...was it what i thought it was?...it is in a burgundy shaped bottle, which is unusual, but françois did a pretty good job copying armand guy's original label, with of course, the disclaimer phrase on top of the label 'spirituex aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe'...but this is the closest thing yet to a real(original) absinthe label as far a style goes, followed by 'oxygénée'...he humbly named it after himself, as did his grandfather (great-grandfather?) with 'sans sucre-45% vol-depuis 1890' under his name...ok, maybe 'depuis' with a little time off due to an unfortunate ban, but not 45%, since, i'm sure, the original(or the better version) was more...françois claimed that he did not want to 're-alcoholize' france with a higher proof, but this humanitarian decision was a mistake...'distillation spéciale' whatever that means (maybe alluding to a 'dethujonizing' process that also is required by law, even though it may not exist...the plants on the front label allude to it's contents-grapes and grape leaves (ok, we know that it is made from beet alcohol, so that's just for a pretty(read-classic) label, grande absinthe, fennel, maybe hyssop, tanasy, green anis...(sorry, i failed the luger 'i can name that plant in 3 notes quiz') the back label explains how to make your drink (like in the time of absinthe)and that sugar 'exhales' the aroma of absinthe and should be used according to one's taste...then in small print 'anis vert and absinthe distillés'...ok...coloration obtained exclusively from plants...ok...ingredients:
alcohol, sugar(!!!) and vegetable substances...whoaaa! the back label has just contradicted the front label...i will attest that i cannot detect sugar in it, but why is this here?! it never ends...when i opened the bottle, i was pleasantly greeted by the odor of - fresh absinthe-which was a nice surprise...i poured a glass of sugar-free pontarlier anis to make a comparison...not as similar as i had thought...actually the aromas are deeper in the the anis, though, not surprisingly, of anis...the color is a very very light green, which is what i thought i saw at the distillery, and was told it was clear...i now understand why ian thought it was clear, and this was his same response to the HD#9...in fact, the nose is very similar to HD#9, making me go 'hmmmm?' it is not so deep once it gets into the glass and neat it is somewhat similar to a 'la bleue' but less intense...the louche is very quick and white, with tinges of green, very nice and clean...the taste? well, it tastes like absinthe...but not a (should i say good? no that is too harsh) strong, complex one...i think this is due to the low alcohol, which, as i said before, was a mistake...it is possible that more flavor could have been coaxed from this absinthe, had it had a higher proof...it is not, as i once thought and said, exactly like the anis, but does not have the character(balls?) of the anis...what we have here is a junior absinthe, maybe the closest thing that commercial, legal brands have to offer, but if you have been spoiled (as i have)
it does not replace what can be found...better la bleues and haugemachts cause this to pale and of course, it will not stand up at all to jade...but, it is good and could have been better had it been jacked up a notch...it is a little light in the mouth and does not leave a lingering finish like the 'vraie'...secondary effects? i think so, but i'm easy...
first
louche

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation