Lordhobgoblin

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Lordhobgoblin
By Mr_Rabid on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 12:13 am: Edit

Snap the fingers of your left hand, and give the one fingered salute to God with the other.

By Verawench on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 11:33 pm: Edit

And what if there is nothing to hear?

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 08:24 am: Edit

That's why we need to keep listening.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 07:59 am: Edit

You know nothing
You know nothing at all
How could you know?
You never know anything at all

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 07:09 am: Edit

I think Vera and I understand each other, possibly better than others understand us. In any case, there's nothing like hostility between us; we get along fine. Anything I say that seems critical of her is an attempt to push a talented person in what I think is a more positive direction, but what do I know?

By Mr_Rabid on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Artemis, people converse in an attempt at clarity. They will never acheive it- the signal to noise ratio is just too low.

Witness this conversation- you and Vera kinda said the same thing, but it sounded like you were disagreeing. Vera means clarity in understanding the world I think- lack of it causes conversation in an attempt to get that clarity from others.

"Without clarity, they might as well masturbate instead."

Aside from actual sex, name me one situation where you might as well NOT masturbate instead.

I am sitting here typing, thinking to myself "I could be masturbating right now instead of typing this."

Of course, then I'd get fired...

By Verawench on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 01:53 pm: Edit

I love you too, Artemis.

By Cheri on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

At first, I thought that had said, "ass of Doug"

By Artemis on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Mr. Rabid, that was well said from you as usual, but I haven't seen any mold being broken here. Ass of God or face of Dog. LOL.

By Artemis on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

"Lack of clarity is the only reason people hold conversations"

People converse to convey information. Without clarity, they might as well masturbate instead.

"create religions"

Huh?

"assemble multi-partisan governments"

Look, I can't even believe you meant any of this shit, I'm not going to bandy nonsense with you. Have a happy new year. Enjoy that European forest aroma.

By Mr_Rabid on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 01:12 pm: Edit

You know, I like it when I hear the mold crack and nobody else can. I like to share it too, but there is a certain something to knowing I have seen something I could never communicate if I wanted to.

That should be written into a song: 'She was somewhere on the border, tween narcisisus and schizophrenia, don't know if she's a genius or if she's only kiddin ya- has she seen the face of God, or just the ass of Dog...

By Cheri on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

If clarity was truly reality, the IRS would cease to exist.

By Verawench on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 11:16 am: Edit

"Clarity is everything. If you're the only one hearing the cracking, that's somewhere between narcissism and schizophrenia."

Clarity is a myth. Lack of clarity is the only reason people hold conversations, create religions, assemble multi-partisan governments. Disagreement, confusion randomness and absurdity.

By Admin on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

I saw the Pogues several times when they came thru San Francisco ... the last time they apparently yanked poor wee Shane from the tour, tossed him in detox, and we got Joe Strummer!

I wasn't disappointed... I'd already seen the Shane show several times, and never Strummer.

Woo! Two fists in the air!

I have to say, drunk or nay, the Pogues have remained one of the most joyful shows I've seen.

By Artemis on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 10:02 am: Edit

"MacGowan came out on stage paralytic drunk, staggered around all night, slurring incoherantly into the mike and yelling obscenities"

Not very original. I read somewhere that the first lead singer for Pink Floyd (was it Syd Barret?), came onto the stage one night, cursed out the audience, farted into the microphone, and passed out.

"Clarity is overrated. There is no sound more sweet than that of a cracking mold."

Clarity is everything. If you're the only one hearing the cracking, that's somewhere between narcissism and schizophrenia. The picture of burning Elvis meeting not burning Elvis is pretty cool, though.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

LH,
The last 2 Pouges albums were not up to the 1st 3. The band was breaking apart. Check out The Snake, Shane's 1st solo album. What a songwriter. And his take on trad tunes is spirited too.
LL

P.S.
If you want that book I mentioned, e-mail me your address, yiz kin haf moi copy.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 07:48 am: Edit

The gig I was talking about was back in the early eighties when the Pogues were a new band. I just didn't see the point of paying to see a man so drunk he could hardly stand or speak, let alone attempt to sing. A waste of his very good talent I thought. So I never gave him another chance (but that didn't stop me buying his records, although I lost interest in both him and the Pogues when they sacked him).

Sayonara

By Louched_Liver on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 05:11 am: Edit

On Shaney Mac:
I've seen him 4 times, and he was never as bad as you saw, although, that apparently wasn't a rare occurence, especially when he and the Pouges were still together. He was pretty messed up a couple times, a bit pissed 1 time, and apparently straight the last time, (he even lit his own cigarettes!). All the shows were thoroughly enjoyable though. None of them alike.
Part of a Shane show is the anticipation, how long will we have to wait, will he even make it? Will he even be alive? And the crowd is always completely mad.
When Dogboy and I went to see him in Dec. 2000, the band informed the crowd the big fella was AWOL, and would we mind if they played w/out him? The houselights came on, many people left. Into the 2nd number the band stopped and out the man himself stormed, from God only knows where.
The show was tight, energetic, and relentless. Great time! Friends saw him twice more in NY in March of this year, both shows as good as the Dec. And Fat Danny saw him twice in 3 days in Ireland this summer, and both of those were spot on as well, even though Shane drank most of a liter Cork Dry Gin at the 1st.
So, anyway, it seems as if MacGowan has finally turned a corner, and anyone who is Shane/Pouges fan should give him a shot if/when he is around.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 12:43 am: Edit

A kind of rough guide to Ireland with plenty of humour and a large measure of cynicism. Sounds good, I might buy it.

On the subject of Shane MacGowan, a great many years ago when the Pogues were relatively new. They played at a University New Years Eve gig in Belfast. MacGowan came out on stage paralytic drunk, staggered around all night, slurring incoherantly into the mike and yelling obscenities. He sounds good on albums (which no doubt he recorded during those rare moments when he was at least sober enough to speak), but seeing him live, a waste of money.

Hobgoblin

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 09:38 pm: Edit

LordHobby,
A book you may be interested in-"Is Shane MacGowan Still Alive."

Yours in Gold and Green,
O'Liver

By Verawench on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Clarity is overrated.

There is no sound more sweet than that of a cracking mold.

By Tavarua on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Wish you were clear.

By Verawench on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 05:35 pm: Edit

foolmeetsprophet

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Well said.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Even though I may know all that I need to know about you I may still not know this...

Therefore I continue to listen.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:26 am: Edit

it'll come to you

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

Nevertheless I'm still listening.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

There is no punchline.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:06 am: Edit

I'm listening.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 08:28 pm: Edit

If you listen carefully, I'll tell you everything you need to know about me.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation