Homemade Absinthe Thread (cont.)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Homemade Absinthe Thread (cont.)
By Admin on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 09:03 am: Edit

Wooo. What a popular thread ... will re-open

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 07:54 am: Edit

Quote:

the #3 also had a very interesting taste. [Astralmindx]

I believe this little special taste comes from tansy.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 07:49 am: Edit

I used 5g of it in the maceration phase for my #3. Not bad but not that impressive. Maybe it's better to use it in the coloration phase. I will add it to my "to be tested" list.

By the way, #3 have also greatly improved after two weeks. (I know daddy, you told me so ;-) ). I'm particularly proud of it's perfectly clean characteristic.

By Luger on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 07:12 am: Edit

No Tansy is not poisinous. If you are not talking about the THUJONE that it contains!!!!!!!

By Aion on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Therefore a SMALL amount,
3-5 gr in the macerate, and
1-2 gr for colouring for 1 liter,
mix of flowers and leaves.
Adds very pleasant aromatic tones
to the scent.

A.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I remember an individual expressing concerns about that one being poisonous!! Or so he had read. I assured him it was not poisonous, and urged him to proceed. I'm glad it didn't kill him (or me).

By Aion on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,

You should consider a SMALL amount of this
herb, if you love a very herbal and spicy
absinthe

tanacetum vulgare

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Veronica was once commonly called "speedwell". I guess that speaks for itself as to medicinal qualities, but it was given for fever, upset stomach, and as a diuretic. I tried to grow it last summer without much success, probably because it's a plant that likes a moist environment (you can tell that by the picture), and I didn't have such to offer it.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

I've had absinthe with Veronica but I won't pretend I could pick it out from the other herbs that were there.

Someone whom I trust has experimented with it extensively - he once told me it lends a "burn" which isn't altogether pleasant. It seems that very few old time recipes contained Veronica.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 10:25 am: Edit

...just bought some angelica seeds. Damn pricey! I think I`m gonna go cut my veins with my credit card in the "Do not read this unless you are insane" thread ;-).

I hope it`s worth it.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 08:32 am: Edit

Did anybody here heard about Veronica officinalis usage in abinthe ? What does it contribute to the taste and medicinal properties ?

veronica officinalis

By Artemis on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 03:43 pm: Edit

"absinthe should age at least a week or two to let the flavor blend and to round-up the harsh alcohol sides."

Told you that, too.

By Wolfgang on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Yummy!

Just for the record. I just sinfully had a glass of archived #2, one week after the mini-gt-tasting and it's already way better.

Lesson # X : absinthe should age at least a week or two to let the flavor blend and to round-up the harsh alcohol sides.

By Artist on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Ah, essentially, what also is called organic...

By Wolfgang on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

bio means they don't use chemical pesticide and fertilizer.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

biologique?

By Artist on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:05 pm: Edit

California (*grin*)...

What do you mean by "bio"?

By Wolfgang on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 12:52 pm: Edit

"you are getting a whole lot of TRASH"

For me it depends of the herb. For exemple I do have to reject lots of trash from my wild harvested spearmint . Hopefully I don't need lots of it but it would be unthinkable for a large scale production to have some guy picking only the best leaves in the bag... Hopefully the A.A. supply at my local herborist is wonderfull ("bio",well dryed, still green with lots of flower buds in it and extremely aromatic). I'm waiting a shipment from another source in california for comparaison purpose, I hope it will be that nice. Anyway, the true effective comparaison will come this fall when I will harvest my own. After that I will see if it's worth the trouble. Actualy and surprisingly, I have more difficulty in finding enough nice green bio anis than all the other herbs (I had to place a special order) !

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 11:41 am: Edit

Thanks for ANCAP's website, Don, this is a Hausgemachter's dream.

If you want to buy some of their products, the marketing arm is ALCOHOLES DEL URUGUAY S.A., and their phone number in Montevideo is 308 53 61.

And since we are off-topic, what a wonderful country Uruguay is! It's small (3M people) and not much in the way of natural resources. But the people are so nice, no slums, even poor people have dignity here.

And with alcohol at 2 bucks a liter, certainly a place to consider for retirement purposes....

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 01:23 am: Edit

ANCAP:

The Uruguay government agency controlling the production of alcohol in Uruguay. Operating three distilleries, two of which have web sites

Paysandu Distillery - Producing 15,000 litres of alcohol per day, from grain and/or molasses

Capurro Distillery - Producing neutral grain spirit, brandy and grappa

http://www.distill.com/uruguay.html

That link will take you to hyperlinks to those two websites.

Off topic: I'd be interested in wholesale quotes (pallet loads, or container loads) of the brandy and/or grappa, but not the grain neutral spirits.

We may have a market for these products

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

A little more information about the Uruguayan alcohol.

I actually bought a bottle and to my surprise the manufacturer is: ANCAP! The Government's distillery. Can you believe a government providing their citizens with Hausgemachting materials at 2 bucks a liter (8 dollars a gallon, for you Usans)

Come Monday I hope to tell you the alcohol's origin.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 06:54 am: Edit

We work with large commercial international suppliers who furnish Certificates of Origin, and Phytosanitary Certificates, stating the taxonomical name and countersigned by the governments of origin.

In N.America you are typically dealing with little mom & pop ex hippie capitalists who overcharge you, sell you the wrong herbs and don't know how to dry it, and harvest the whole shrub so instead of getting flowering tops you are getting a whole lot of TRASH.

That's the sorry state of the Internet retail herbs business. By the oz, by the lb, all a lot of crap.

When you get into the real game you will suddenly find yourselves dealing with professionals and for prices a small percentage of bogus US and Canadian former flower children ripoffs. Of course they won't be very interested in talking to you about a quarter of a Kg.

By Petermarc on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 06:07 am: Edit

lavender has a very strong flavor and works very well with absinthe...but you gotta like lavender...try it in the coloring step (just the flowers) but i don't think you'll get the color...rose petals are a very good idea...

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Artist, I think I know what your thinking about. That`s what I wanted to do with my #3. I will try it again someday with the proper ingredients. I just wonder if such a color will hold ... All I know for now is that there should be absolutly no other coloring agent present (no leaves...).

Please share the results (privately if you wish)if you finaly try it.

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Definitely violets, or pansies.

Are you creating a new cocktail?

By Verawench on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 06:48 pm: Edit

violets

By Zman7 on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Lavender.

By Artist on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Anyone aware of purplish (or bluish) edible flowers or plants that do not have a lot of flavor (or if they have flavor, something that would be synergistic with absinthe)?

I'm thinking possible rose petals...but I would appreciate any other suggestions.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Another source of live A.Pontica in Canada : www.canningperennials.com

I also ordered some there, we will see...

By Artist on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 12:57 pm: Edit

. .

By Petermarc on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 11:47 am: Edit

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

I will try to post a nice close up picture when I get the plant (early spring 2002) for ID.

I found this pic on the web, do you think it`s A.Pontica ?

A.Pontica

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 11:27 am: Edit

In N.America most all the herbal vendors if they list 'Roman Wormwood' at all will sell you ragweed in its place, we have been round and round for 3 years on this subject on this forum. I do not know of anyone who has ever obtained bona fide A.pontica in USA or Canada.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

Richter's call it Roman Wormwood.

They also sell Angelica seeds at 30 can$/100g. It`s a lot more expensive than the roots. Is it worth the extra cost or does it produce the same aroma and property anyway ?

By Zman7 on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 10:52 am: Edit

Richter's is a good outfit. I have ordered from them before with good service. Beware when ordering Artemisia Pontica. Some places may try to sell you a plant they call "Artemisia Pontica-Nana" This is NOT the petite wormwood of yore. It is however a pretty plant, but I wouldn't put it in my hausgemachte.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 10:08 am: Edit

Ho, and by the way, *I* fear the glasswork ;-)

Wolf, who should stop to procrastinate his projects...

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 10:05 am: Edit

Grimm; It's incredible what interesting things and infos a guy can find in a strip club (other than the cunnilingus show ). But be carefull if you ask for sugar you may end up with those 100$ sugar cube... very impressive secondary effects I'm being told...

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 09:59 am: Edit

Roman wormwood live plant source in Canada :

http://www.richters.com

3$ Can / pot , minimum order of 6 plants.

I also sent an email asking for dried A.Pontica without realy expecting a positive answer. I will let you know.

By Verawench on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

..or was it per cube?

By Verawench on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Don't you remember? He was charging $100 a box...

By Grimm on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Petermarc,

Why are you screwed? Is it due to the discovery of the sugar? Had you been secretly plotting to open a world wide distribution center for sugar cubes?

Ah, I think you fear the glassworks! but why?
You would still have the original!

__
grimm

By Petermarc on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

i'm screwed...

By Grimm on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Montreal resources, the hunt has begun.

I found a source for St-Louis individually wrapped rectangles of sugar goodness! I had done some asking since the night of absinth tasting. I found a few people who muttered to themselves, a few who spoke to inanimate objects, but most interesting (aside from the cunnilingus show which blew my mind) was the discovery that several people had seen these fabled sweet wrapped wonders..

I stopped by La Veille Europe for my usual pickup of wonderful delights. Ho Ho! 1kg boxes of St-Louis for 5.89!

Now off to L'Academie du Verre to get some custom jobs made!

__
grimm

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 01:08 pm: Edit

No worries, obviously a simple misunderstanding.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 07:14 am: Edit

Huu ?

No sarcasm intended. If you'r refering to the logan thread, my "red" reply was not related to what Ted said but to some email I sent to someone else.

No hostility coming from me...and I don't like the Czechs ;-)

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 06:45 am: Edit

What's the sarcasm all about, Wolfgang?

All Ted told was the truth, and it was no reflection on you.

I don't understand the hostility coming from your direction, if that's what it is.

You like the Czechs? Well, go and drink them, and don't bother to go fishing for any pointers from me any more.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 05:35 am: Edit

That would remove flavors but that wouldn't make a better absinthe. Activated carbon filtering is usefull to purify neutral alcohol (so it wont give you bad hangover). This step must be done before adding the flavors.

If you just want to get rid of some "debris", you can run it trough a coffee filter.

About ebay... Well, this is a crazy wild world, that's all I have to say.

By Artist on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 02:01 am: Edit

What would happen if you ran a finished product (like an off tasting bottle of Deva or some Green or La Bleue that had some debris in the bottle) through activated carbon filtering? What would you loose (if anything)?

By Astralmindx on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 08:28 pm: Edit

damn it sorry for double posting.... need sleep

By Astralmindx on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Hey,

A little late but still alive. Just got out from coma due to Wolf #1 OD hehe just kidding. That was an amazing night. Wolf truly has talent. His #2 surely was the best absinthe I drank in my life (considering I only drank spanish stuff (not crap please.. its the poor man's absinthe)) and the #3 also had a very interesting taste. Has of NS, I was a little disapointed, altought it was better than Deva 50 (my previous experience), it still had that thick oily feeling to it. Segarra on the other end was a great surprise. I really liked that special flavor.

Good thing you saved a few mL of your first experiments, who knows, maybe they'll be worth a fortune on ebay in a couple of years ;)

Still haven't got the chance to taste la fee rouge. That Serpis really has a scary look. I'll probably try it tomorrow, I'll let you know.

By Astralmindx on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Hey,

A little late but still alive. Just got out from coma due to Wolf #1 OD hehe just kidding. That was an amazing night. Wolf truly has talent. His #2 surely was the best absinthe I drank in my life (considering I only drank spanish stuff (not crap please.. its the poor man's absinthe)) and the #3 also had a very interesting taste. Has of NS, I was a little disapointed, altought it was better than Deva 50 (my previous experience), it still had that thick oily feeling to it. Segarra on the other end was a great surprise. I really liked that special flavor.

Good thing you saved a few mL of your first experiments, who knows, maybe they'll be worth a fortune on ebay in a couple of years ;)

Still haven't got the chance to taste la fee rouge. That Serpis really has a scary look. I'll probably try it tomorrow, I'll let you know.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 04:38 pm: Edit

It`s easy to find Angelica archangelica root but what if I want to use the seeds ? All I found was "40 seeds per pack" kind of offer... Any link where I could buy about 250g ?

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 08:12 am: Edit

PS

Gert will tell you to use GAC only with 40-50 % and that is good advice.

Other folks will claim that powdered (NOT gransulated) AC works fine with 95%. I don't think so.

AC is not 'coal' although some ACs are made from coal, others are made from peat, coconut shells, various other woods, etc.

Other than referring you to Gert there's little else I can say because I cannot comment on just what it is that we do or don't so, here.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 08:04 am: Edit

Wolfgang:

See the Gert Strand website

www.partyman.se

If you get Swedish text look for a British flag and it will swap to English.

Next look for a link to his 'free web book' on Activated Carbon improved methid (150% better)

You can buy the GAC from Gert, or from his N.American agent, much more easily than from Norit. He probably won't identify the grade of Norit he sells, but, it will be food grade and it will work. I have 4 liters from Gert here, which I will probably never use, because my 7 month old shipment from (source deleted by request of TB) finally showed up, all 150 Kg of it.

Gert will tell you: Your pipe for the bed ought to not be less than 1.5" ID to avoid channeling/wall effect. This is true.

He will also tell you, LENGTH determines purity, DIAMETER determines volume therefore throughput, which should be not more than 25% of the UNPACKED bed volume per hour. This is also true.

He will tell you how to prepare and clean and saturate and pack the carbon, which is CRITICAL to best performance and what he says is true.

He will hint at how to regenerate the carbon once it is at 'breakthrough', that is by backflushing with low pressure steam, this is also true.

Gert's prices are OK and you really can't deal with Norit for less than a 25 Kg sack, if that. Besides, you will get a headache studying all their grades. Just buy from Gert. NEVER use aquarium carbon, a very bad mistake.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 06:40 am: Edit

Ok, I found the link to the "activated carbon thread",...

That reduce my question list to :

*Can we use GAC to filter 94% ethanol or can we only use this process on low proof (40%) alcohol ?

*Where can we buy the recommended Norit Gac 20X40 on the web at a reasonable price ? (Of course I need small quantities).

*Let's say that I build a 6 liter bed (using recicled 2L plastic Coke bottles and all...), pack it with Norit Gac 20X40 and run it at a safe 1 liter/hour output rate, how many 94% alcohol can I pour through that filter before having to replace the coal (I'm lazy and will probably just throw it away) ?

Now if you ask me why do I want to go through the trouble of purifying my booze : I'm fanatical.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 05:56 am: Edit

Question #2:

I remember last year there was a thread where Don shared some informations about activated carbon filtering. I can't find it now...

Would it be possible to easyly build an affordable activated carbon filter to improve the quality of ethanol ? I'm thinking of something like a 3' 1"diam. copper pipe filled with activated carbon through witch I could slowly pour my ethanol to improve it's quality.

Any hint on where I could find a reliable source of excellent filtering carbon of the web (who sells in small quantities) ? What should I buy ? How slow should the ethanol flow through such a filter ? Would it be also usefull with low proof vodka or just for >90% ethanol ?

Thanks.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 05:44 am: Edit

Question :

Does the shape of the still can really help to make a more flavorfull absinthe and if yes, why ?

Now how can an hausgematcher apply this knowledge to his mad scientist apparatus ?

Let`s suppose that someone is using an hugly rig of a Dr Frankenstein pot still made of an old pressure cooker with an output pipe of 3/8" diam., would it help if the output pipe was bigger (let's say 1" diam.) ?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I was wondering about excise tax not VAT particularly. Anyway, it's academic for us, I was just curious.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Don, that is the retail price, no VAT here.

It's 95%. As far as the standards, they're not mentioned in the bottle. Uruguayan food products (at least as compared to Argentinians) have a reputation of being "true". In the bottle it does mention that it can be used for "fruit liqueurs".

I won't find out for you the cost of an "ISOtanker", but the next time I go to that supermarket I'll be glad to give you the name of the distiller.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Just out of curiosity, taxed or untaxed?

I collect national standards for potable alcohol from around the world, and they are HIGHLY variable as to quality insisted upon. Some of the S.American standards are among the lowest.

$2.10/L on a retail basis is cheap, taxed or untaxed. Now find out what they sell it for on an ISOtanker basis, untaxed for export, that's 30,000 liters.

Anyway it's probably the wrong feedstock they started with. Isn't it?

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I'm aware that this information would not be of much use to Hausgemachters in the Northern Hemisphere, but I just found out that here in Uruguay you can buy "Alcohol Etilico Rectificado" for 30 Uruguayan Pesos a liter, about US$ 2.10.

And no BATF! A Hausgemachter's dream...

By Grimm on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Greetings Wolfgang!

Oh yes! How could I forget the NS! (probably due
to the empty stomach tasting of #2 and Segarra :)

I actually enjoyed the NS as well! I am not quite
sure where I would place it in the rankings..

I would need another test to compare :)

I can't wait to receive my shipment from Spain!

As for the Red Lady, I haven't had the chance
yet for a taste. A new years eve party would
have been a bad place to unveil these precious
samples!

I will have a glass later this evening and
share my findings!

Have a very Happy New Year everyone!

__
grimm

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Thank`s Mr Grimm,

This morning I found a little bag in my closet with a chrismass gift in it !? Astralmind put it there and forgot to give it to me when he left ;-) . Apparently his last glass of #1 left him completly confused. I told him to pour no more than 1/2 oz of this potent experimental brew but he put at least an oz . #1 should not be drunk in more than very reasonable dose...

I saved 250ml of each brew in little bottles to keep for my records. I also mixed 1/3 #1 with 2/3 #3 and the result is more civilised and will probably make an acceptable party drink. Some herbs in #3 can balance the side effects of #1, even if the taste is not perfect. Anyway, I will concentrate my efforts in fine tuning the #2.

Grimm also forgot to mention the mini NS glass I served for comparaison...

#2 is already gone exept for the archived bottle. Believe it or not, yesterday I paid 30$ to go to an "all you can drink" new year party with friends and I only had a gin tonic at the bar ... I secretly brought some #2 with me and had a blast. 30$ for a gin tonic *in a plastic glass with ice cubes* ... I also think I said to my friends I was going to throw an all you can drink Absinthe party at my place in 2002 ... Damn it! I better start looking for a cheaper base alc. source...

Some comments I got from friends sipping it (including people who had tasted Jade's) includes a comparaison with Chartreuse, probably because of the Angelica roots. Unfortunatly, the "restroom tap water" preparation of this "plastic glass green hour" was less than adequate and didn't show the #2 in it's full bloom.

By the way guys, have you tasted your sample of the red lady ?

By Grimm on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

My very first taste of absinth.

As I trudged against the howling wind and snow, beating down on my from the heavens I couldn't help but wonder "am I there yet?". But the streetlight dancing wildly in the wind has me wondering about the odds of it snapping and landing on me as I walked passed.

I was seeking out the Wolf's lair.

I was greeted by spectacular warmth and style. We stood there in the entrance, caught up in 1001 conversations, forgetting even to sit.

When I did sit, it was in front of a myth. #2 started my journey and who knows where I'll end up next.

I have tasted Wolf#2, Segarra, Wolf#1, Wolf#3.

The top 3 were Wolf#2, Segarra and Wolf#3. Wolf#1 was an interesting heartbeat accelerating mind twisting kick. But you're
not 100% sure if that is a good thing.

I think it's absolutely stunning to taste such a brew, to have it surpass an established product like Segarra (which I also enjoyed very much!) It just seemed to be less complex in odor and maybe a little too specific in taste.

I can't really base my opinion on anything else. To me it was like a blind taste test and I just picked out the ones I liked best. Not really knowing why.

I hope with time, I will be able to say more.

__
grimm

By Etienne on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Agreed.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 03:48 am: Edit

Yes.

If the threads aren't wanted they'll soon die by themselves anyway.

By Admin on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:22 pm: Edit

tell me, do ya'll want me to re-open a (cont.) thread when I close them?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation