Deva advice?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Deva advice?
By Heiko on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Right, Deva is a great value. I'd still recommend it to beginners as their first choice (I'd never recommend Segarra for that). I like it because it is the only absinthe that is available at a fair price, and yet it is better than some expensive ones.

I think I know what flavor you mean, there is something distinct about it, the term "muddy" maybe isn't that wrong, but it's nothing that makes Deva bad for me.

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 02:47 pm: Edit

I think it is batch variation. People kept talking about the bad aftertaste and I had no idea what they meant- every bottle of Deva I have had so far has been free of that.

Except the last one. There was a taste almost of burnt plastic about it. Pfui!

I wish I still had some of the last bottle before this to do a side-by-side. Anybody out there in a position to do that?

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

Personally I think there's nothing at all wrong with Deva, I've never detected a nasty aftertaste. Ok so it's not akin to an expensive vintage wine, but that doesn't mean it's no good. I drink ordinary wine at £3 to £6 per bottle and it's fine by me, so is Deva. Deva is good stuff and great value for money.

Hobgoblin

By Tavarua on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 10:06 am: Edit

If you can tolerate Deva with tonic water try this:

Mash a handfull of mint leaves in the bottom of the glass, make sure the leaves are good and mashed.

Add a shot of Bacardi Limon and a shot of Deva.

Throw in a splass of tonic water and some sugar.

Strain the mint out of the glass and poor over ice.

Good shit. I gave this recipe on the sight a little while ago, but I said to use 7'UP, that was a mistake.

By Artemis on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 08:17 am: Edit

"I think Artemis (an early sufferer of the syndrome) first identified that "rotten aftertaste" here as "empyreuma", which if I get the gist of it, means they let it get too hot."

What's funny is that even earlier, that flavor was called "earthy" here, as though it were a good thing for absinthe to be "earthy". The word "empyreuma" comes from French Fin de Siecle texts that discuss absinthe manufacture and/or attempt to debate the issue of whether it is harmful to health. It means the odor (taste?) of organic (read: plant) compounds burnt in an enclosed vessel. It betrays cooking or burning of the herb mass, or possibly (and I'm guessing about this, although I know about the other), if the product was mixed from oils, some fault in the preparation of one or more of the oils. It's so obvious in Deva, I don't know how it can be missed. I don't detect it in Segarra, but the "butterscotch" flavor of Segarra, apparently lent by the wooden barrels, is overwhelming to my taste in its own right. I have not tasted a good, clean Spanish absinthe, but I haven't tasted them all.

I'll also concede that what I taste in Deva may be something entirely different from what I think it is, but whatever it is, it's not good and it doesn't belong in absinthe.

By Heiko on Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 04:49 am: Edit

Strange - I have never detected a "rotten", "swampy" or "muddy" taste in Deva.

I know what taste you might mean, there is a special aftertaste in Deva. Nevertheless I don't find it repugnant or rotten.

What to do with Deva: drink it when you want to get drunk on it, when you invite people to get drunk on it... anything other absinthe is too expensive for :-)

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 11:31 pm: Edit

A number of people seem to have this reaction. Unfortunately it worsens with time and with exposure to better absinthes.

I think Artemis (an early sufferer of the syndrome) first identified that "rotten aftertaste" here as "empyreuma", which if I get the gist of it, means they let it get too hot.

Deva does have a nice touch of fennel to it, which I somtimes miss in Segarra. That's the best Spanish absinthe and the best currently available from Spirits Corner, if that's where you get yours.

How to use up that last bottle of Deva:

-forced enema for boss/landlord/IRS auditor/roommate/ex
-in an Irish coffee instead of whiskey
-in an "earthquake" with VS cognac or Mexican Presidente brandy (which is not a bad buy, IMHO, though it's not "the good stuff")
-mixed with rye whiskey in a Sazerac
-mixed with other kinds of absinthe like Wolfgang does (or used to do, before he started making his own)
-just make your friends drink it

By Desoto on Saturday, December 29, 2001 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Hello all,

This query is for those who are especially sensitive to the earthy undertones of Deva. I find Deva prepared in the traditional manner to have a repugnant rotten smell and aftertaste. I like the initial flavor, but the rest is overpowering and makes it undrinkable for me. I know taste is highly subjective, two friends that I shared some Deva with didn't have any problem and didn't detect this at all. I found that mixing it with tonic water made it tolerable and almost tasty. The Deva 70 worked a little better in this formulation than the original Deva...it wasn't quite so musty.

Which leads to my questions. Does anybody else have this strong of a reaction to Deva? If so, are there other brands (preferably available from SC) that I might try? I've been pondering Segarra, NS and/or Serpis. Or, are there any Deva cocktail recipes I might try? I like the tonic water combo because the aftertaste of the tonic kind of slides over the rotten aftertaste of the Deva, making the whole thing very palatable. Something else along those lines would be interesting.

Many thanks,
desoto

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation