Newcomer

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Newcomer
By Etienne on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Whew... I stand corrected! :-)

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 09:33 pm: Edit

A Krinkov in 5.56, cool? Well not really.

The barrel is too short.

It took the US military about 20 years to figure out that the old Colt Commando XM177E series were dogs, because the barrels were so short that the blast and flash were unacceptable, and so the final E2 version added a 5" long flash suppressor, that ATF later decided was also at least technically a sound suppressor. This the weapon had the worst possible combination: The overall length was same as a 16" barrel, but the velocity was that of the real barrel length, 10.5". DUH!

If you plot barrel length vs velocity for M-193 (or M-855) you will find that the curve breaks pretty sharply downward for velocity at about 13.5". That is, velocity losses are small and relatively linear at about 50 fps per inch of barrel loss from 20" back to 13.5" and without much increase in flash and blast. Shorter than that and V-zero goes way down and blast/flash go way up.

It does not take a rocket scientist (but apparently it does take someone smarter than anyone at Colt or the US Army) to figure out that a 13.5" barrel with a conventional flash suppressor is far better than a 10.5" barrel with a 5" flash suppressor. Double DUH! The two have SAME overall length but one has velocity a whole lot like the rifle, other has shitty velocity and bad side effects.

But it took from the 60s till the mid 80s before such an onvious improvement became implemented, as the M4 Carbine, which also boasts the M855 ammunition, a beefed up barrel profile, and the M-203 40mm onboard as standard.

SO, the shorty version of the AK, which has about a 10" barrel...whether in 5.45mm or 5.56mm...still think it's cool? Give it just 100mm more barrel and it's cool. But not as is.

FYI, anyone who needs a compact selective fire shoulder weapon will ALWAYS find that a 9mm SMG will have far better hit probability and thus Ph+k (probability of hit and kill) than a shorty 5.56mm. The bean counters deflect this with the logistical advantages of ammunition and magazine capacity, but the bean counters are almost always wrong. THAT argument is what got us the magazine compatibility on the M-249 SAW, which is a joke, and if that feature hadn't been deemed important, we might have selected a far better SAW.

But that's another story.

By Etienne on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

A Krinkov in .223...COOL!

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

That's me. Demi-adorable. Quasi-cuddly. Pseudo-charming. Crypto-nice.

Actually, I did not mean to imply that Krinkov is short barreled, cute but basically useless. Although I guess some people might read it that way. I was really just talking about the Soviet popgun that OBL always has next to himm in his videos. An AKR, better known in some circles as a Krinkov.

Just as the regular AKM is nicknamed 'Kalikov' by the troops, I suppose a diminutive for Kalashnikov, the designer.

Friend Kalikov, of this thread, I know not, and have no reason to insult him.

By Heiko on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 01:19 pm: Edit

"Heiko, that imply there's two kind of women, the forumit and the others... ;-) "

I would say yes if I could be sure the girls here will take it as a true compliment ;-))

That reminds me of an anecdote by Henry Miller about his parents in "Tropic of Capricorn" which I just read, not even for myself, but for class (it was really enjoyable though!)
His mother always complained about the bad drinking habits of his father - then he suddenly "got on the water wagon" and, what nobody thought possible, quit drinking forever. Henry's mother couldn't cope with that situation neither and started making fun of him for being such a saint...

By Admin on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Don, you're being almost adorable.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 11:26 am: Edit

Ya, and as I used to say, don't be affraid to post your tasting notes. If you stick around long enaugh and eventually get the chance to taste some exceptional absinthe, you will have lot of fun later reading your old notes praising the worst and the bad ( anyway, I do ;-) ).

By Morriganlefey on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 10:33 am: Edit

Since I've been labeled the forum "Welcome Wagon" in the past, I'll take this opportunity to kindly welcome Krinkov and tell Artist where to stick his thujone content (*wink*)!!

"5 year old kid christmas eve anticipation" - Come on now, we've ALL been there before, anxiously awaiting our very first SC delivery. Let's allow him his wee joy!

So welcome Krinkov, don't let the gentle ribbing you'll get here disway you from enjoying the fruits of your research.

- M

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 09:23 am: Edit

Hi, Krinkov. It has not escaped our attention that your handle is the Russian Army nickname for the short barrelled, cute but relatively useless version of the AK-74.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 07:17 am: Edit

I didn't know where to post it but given the fact that i just contacted that guy and invited him to the forum, I guess it's ok.

Discovery channel interview about absinthe with a chemistry professor from McGill university in Montreal :

interview

side notes:
Dr. Schwarcz is director of McGill University's Office for Chemistry and Society. In addition to teaching chemistry at McGill, he hosts a weekly "phone-in" show about chemistry on Montreal radio station CJAD, writes a weekly column called "The Right Chemistry" in the Montreal Gazette, and has a regular TV feature entitled "Joe's Chemistry Set" on the Canadian Discovery Channel.

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 07:12 am: Edit

Heiko, that imply there's two kind of women, the forumit and the others... ;-)

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 07:10 am: Edit

No, that's because many woman hates it when something else captivate all our attention and passion, especialy if they don't like the object of our attention. That's jealousy.

Try to make your girlfriend understand that you'r busy sniffing the output of your still (who have run drop by drop for hours...)to discern the beginning of the tail when she's there, naked, beging for your attention... That's one of the most difficult and undocumented step of an absinthe recipe ;-) .

By Heiko on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 06:00 am: Edit

Well, MM might not have been the best choice - even I think it's quite drinkable (some hate it) I also think it's much too expensive.
Better get the two NS variants next time.

I don't get this: don't women usually get all excited about nice glasses and antiques and such stuff? But everytime it's absinthe glasses they seem to consider it stupid (forumites excluded). Is it just because when a man collects something women MUST find it stupid? Almost seems so... ;-)

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 05:20 am: Edit

There's two great features on this forum, just on your left side bar...

First one is under "documentation" and is caled Forum FAQ.

Next one is under "Utilities" and is called Keyword search.

Use them and you will find billions of reviews.

Welcome aboard!

By Artist on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 12:56 am: Edit

Deva is good. You will especially like the high Thujone content in Mari Mayans.

By Krinkov on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 12:18 am: Edit

First of all just let me say how much help this site has been to me, it has great content and is well organized. I have been wanting to try Absinthe for a few years, but I thought it was wise to wait until after the military for obvious reasons. I got out in Aug 2000 and forgot about it for a little while until the green fairy visited me in my sleep or something >:) I have no idea what the attraction to this drink is (My GF is starting to get worried I think) for the past few weeks she has been putting up with my 5 year old kid christmas eve anticipation. I get all excited about the cool spoons and glasses I found and when I try to show her she looks at me like I'm an idiot lol. Oh well. I ordered Absenta Deva and Mari Mayans the other day, let me know your opinions on those chioces if you want and I'll let you know what I think of Absinthe when it finally gets here!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation