Shipping denied?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Shipping denied?
By Pikkle on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 06:44 pm: Edit

I've got one thing to say about SC... they have probably the best customer service of any net based business I've run across and I purchase much on the net. I've had several no show packages and merely on my word alone they've been replaced with no questions asked. Maybe it's good business, maybe not but I think it shows how important the absinthe market is to the good folk at SC. Keep that in mind when making your purchasing decisions.. my 1.5¢

By Pablo on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 03:22 am: Edit

Thanks. I guess its better than nothing. Still, I was curious why SC dosn't offer it. Looking foreward to trying it for that reason alone.

By Petermarc on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 02:58 am: Edit

portugese-
'neto costa' has no louche and is almost undrinkable (maybe if it was mixed with something, like absinthe, it might be better)
'extasse'(sp?) was so artificially green, i couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle...good luck
brazil may once again become the promised land for the portugese...

By Pablo on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 02:08 am: Edit

By the way, I've been following the discussion for a while about the missing shipments, and it got me so worried I ordered a second shipment hoping that at least one would come through. The day after a friend in europe told me she was sending me a bottle of absinthe from portugal! (There is a God!) I've seen alot of opinions about spanish and french, but anyone ever tried portugese?
If so, I'd love to hear an opinion on it.

By Pablo on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 02:04 am: Edit

Hey, I'm new to the forum, and I'm a journalist. Please don't hold that against me. I don't know the particulars of this health reporter doing a story, but he sounds like an idiot. I think many will agree that its a nothing story. No one has died (that I'm aware of), and Customs dosn't give a damn because they have better things to worry about. Sounds like this moron was just trying to make a name for himself. Also, I'm sure Customs and DEA thought he was a joke. A better story would be about how in the average newsroom there is enough drugs sniffed, smoked, injected, ingested, and drunk to keep a columbian drug lord in spending money for a year!

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Well, ordered two at almost the same time... one made it, the other didn't... made for a less interesting new years than i hoped but that's the risk we take... I'm not worried, it is going to be replaced (bless our supplier!) and I've just upped on another one. I'm not that worried, just baby worried, something to think about though... my tax software has yet to arrive as well so who knows.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:21 am: Edit

You ordered in early Dec at peak of the holiday shipping season.

1. DEC 2000 there was an increased number of shipping problems esp at DFW as I recall, not because it was absinthe but because the postal inspectors were on lookout for liquor of any sort coming in.

2. The Sept 11 aftermath will have its effect but I strongly suspect that shipping problems in Dec/Jan this year have had more to do with the reason that the WOT. Therefore I expect this problem, such as it is, to slack back off from now till NEXT Dec.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 10:31 am: Edit

FYI I ordered a package back in the beginning of DEC... waited, waited, waited... nothing. Just the other day got word from the shipper that the package had been returned to the point of origin, nothing mentioned about it being refused but still... anyway, seems more than coincidence that what before had regularly been delivered unobstructed is now losing it's way... at the risk of sounding paranoid scrutiny has been stepped up to a degree so expect losses, not every time but at least once in a while. Up until this time I had maybe one out of several dozen never show up... keep fingers crossed.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:58 am: Edit

Artemis, the guy in Oklahoma is a writer for some podunck health newsletter...he ain't Woodward, nor Bernstein, and to be honest neither were Woodward & Bernstein.

However you are correct that the 'reporter' had no brief to protect the absinthe business. If anything he is obviously our enemy.

But you might have thought the asshole from Sebors UK does! I guess not though.

By Artemis on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Actually, all I was trying to say was "here's how you tell if Customs has opened your package", in answer to all the wondering that goes on here. If they opened it, you'll know it.

But I can't argue with Don's points. I can understand the reporter in Oklahoma airing it out to the Feds - if he doesn't, he's not doing his job. He's supposed to get all "sides" of an issue. But airing it out in here is a different matter.

By Krinkov on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:52 am: Edit

Good post Don, that could very well happen.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:25 am: Edit

Heed what Artemis is saying. He is saying, most of the time Customs doesn't open anything, and when they do, most of the time they just retape it with loud Customs taoe leaving the contents untouched.

This is our happy environemnt.

Still, there is NO EXCUSE for the silly basrard from Sebors UK bragging to the Oklahoma health newsletter about shipping 600 bottles a week into the US in 12/01, and NO EXCUSE for the lame 'journalist' to then go to Customs AND ATF looking for comment. Of course both agencies (at least their OK field offices, obviously the center of policy making nationwide...) drew their pistols and vowed eternal vigilance and capital punishment against 'smugglers'...so don't expect any change in status quo.

My advice:

Do not discuss what carriers are involved.
Do not discuss details at all.
Do your damnedest not to post any more "Just received 18 bottles and no sign of inspection" type posts, all you are doing you JACKOFFS is hastening the day when inspections and seizures will be the norm.

Exercise your self destructiveness in some other channel

By Krinkov on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Damn you people are making me jealous! I am on my 9th day waiting for my first ever shipment, from the sound of things my MM choice may have been a bad one, but then you must always have something in which to compare. Who are the Montrealers making Absinthe? I wouldn't mind driving a few hours to try some :) The last time I went to Montreal I ended up a bit out of the way though.

By Artemis on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 07:02 pm: Edit

I don't know if they make a regular practice of it, but at least some of the time, U.S. Customs, when they've opened a package, reseal it with colorful tape that has their emblem on it, along with "U.S. Customs" in bold type. It's not exactly inconspicuous. On what I've seen, that's the only notice that they've opened the package; nothing else.

Fountains greatly increase the esthetics of the experience. Very slow dripping, whether from a fountain or whatever, for some reason seems to increase the quality of the drink as well.

By Hyperturtle on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Correction: The fountain is a La Muse Verte. I saw the La Fee Verte to my left and was apparently influenced by that fairy instead...

By Hyperturtle on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

My package had no indication of delay--no tampering, no irregular markings (aside from whatever there has been in the past that I had ignored and assumed was just shipment tracking/delivery data [or sometime testing out a dry pen]).

I'm pretty glad I received it today. I had recently received the efiel tower and the magic eye absinthe spoons to supplement my cheap (well used and quite functional) typical pressed slotted spoons.

I have a question for everyone. I'm new to the forum, so don't bite too hard if you've gone over this (I looked a bit and found nothing).

Does the forum prefer to use a fountain for their water dispension, or use a carafe (or other form of water jug?)

I use a la fe verte fountain, and think it's quite fabulous for the task at hand. It works as decor, and I have the (currently cheap) glasses sit out in front of it with the (cheap) spoons. (the nice ones are in a display case on the wall)

I don't have many visitors, but everyone is interested in what it is for the moment they lay eyes on it.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Congratulations!

I am sure that the longisg delivery times had to do with the holiday season as much or more than the WOT and increased postal security.

Now the big question is, what about those orders from "Wolvie"?

I mean we all know SC is super reliable and will make good on a lost shipment.

But Wolvie, well, is starting to get a little ripe, isn't he?

By Grimm on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

The sun is shining!!

I too received my SC order today! I waited over 20 days for my shipment! And I now know why it was delayed..

there was a stamp on the package saying the address was wrong (they made a mistake with my postal code!)

I am abit disapointed with the cheap absinthe spoons from the Serpis 65 set.. but I am just too happy to complain!

woohoo!

ps: hey Wolf, and Astralmind, it looks like we'll be getting together soon enough!

By Hyperturtle on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Hi everyone,

I finally received an order I made from SC. They said they shipped it on Dec 27th; I received it today Jan 18th.

The first shipment Never Arrived--this was a reship. That was sent at the end of november.

I have ordered from them many times in the past and generally received things in a week (I live in the USA); I am thinking that either customs or evil neighbors or something like that got between me and my delivery. However, I never received contact from customs.

This delivery, like all prior ones, came via the post office.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 07:11 am: Edit

HAH! You never lived in NOLA!

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:58 am: Edit

"Mississippi-mud pastis brown like Herbsaint"

Hummm, I got a bottle of Herbsaint from a friendly forumit and honestly, it was more like neon-green/yellow glow in the dark shit than that. I had a glass and that's it. Another bottle gathering dust across Starop...

Well I didn't know that there was so much radioactive pollution in the Mississippi !

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 02:22 am: Edit

I didn't say it wasn't. Not a very good one though.

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

IMHO, based on personal experience, although it has a one-dimensional, licorice candy flavor, Mari Mayans is absinthe, not pastis.

By Dvahacker on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I'd like to take a moment to thank the powers-that-be for intercepting my MM order and rendering it, well, bad. I guess I should have gotten the hint about the true nature of Mayans because none of the absintheurs here have mentioned it (much).

Note to self: Order the liquors that are spoken of frequently and fondly.

Now then... Where's my Deva?!

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I shared a bottle of MM 70 Collectors with James the distributor when he visited me in Bangkok, in fact we ended up going out to Patpong where we killed the last of it with Randy the manager at Goldfingers.

I like James, but I found MM to taste of nothing but star anise, it was like a stronger but less complex Herbsaint, except that it was radioactive green not Mississippi-mud pastis brown like Herbsaint.

I can't say there was no wormwood oil in there -- I just didn't taste any, the star anise was so overpowering. Frankly, if you have to have a monolithic taste, star isn't the one I'd put out front.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Hold the train Dr. Bologna, lets get this issue cleared up. First MM is absinthe, then it is not absinthe, then maybe it is absinthe. Every time MM comes up, no one can agree. WHAT IS MARI MAYANS. No wormwood right? or is there? For the love of all that is fibrous in texture, what is it. Blood is actually shooting out of my eyes (rage blood, not inguisitive blood, and that's the bad kind, cause it comes out faster.)

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Welcome back!

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:20 pm: Edit

"I wonder how MM got that silver medal (or whatever that price was called)"

They were the only entry, and the tasters have no basis for comparison. Nevertheless, a silver medal implies they were the only horse in the race, and yet came in second place.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:00 pm: Edit

I wonder how MM got that silver medal (or whatever that price was called)

It must have been for "being the only commercially available absinthe at the time that doesn't make you puke" or something like that.

Maybe the only opponents were Hill's and Starop, and somebody had to win, so...

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:57 pm: Edit

I don't think MM is much better than Absente and they're both about as good as Pernod Pastis.

All three are drinkable but don't really make you buy another bottle - MM is maybe the only absinthe of all three, but is it really anyways?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Morrigan is thinking of (gasp!) Absente. Ugh, choke & puke.

By Dvahacker on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:16 am: Edit

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I ordered a bottle of Mari from Absenta.com.
I've had the bev that you spoke of... Not going to make that mistake again!

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 10:39 am: Edit

Dva -

Why order Absenta on-line when you can buy it at most any reasonably-fancy liquor store in the U.S?? (Yes, probably even in Memphis).

An even better question - why buy Absenta AT ALL?? (it ain't absinthe, my friend). Read the buyers guide and chant this mantra - "SC, SC, SC"!!

- Morrigan

(psst - I'm a fellow online RPG gamer too..)

By Dvahacker on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 09:25 am: Edit

I just got an email from Worldpay; they couldn't get a 'satisfactory response' from Absenta, either. Big surprise...
Guess it's time to start that dispute and find a reliable, FAST vendor.

Thanks for the advice, you guys.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Charge them back. Unless they can prove delivery to you (obviously not), and unless you gave them a written signed charge slip and/or a 'hard swipe' in a POS terminal with your card, you need not pay for what you do not receive.

NatWest won't like it and they will definitely adjust Absenta's creditworthiness downwards.

By Dvahacker on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 01:18 pm: Edit

I think I'm going to be sick now... And, after the sick goes back from the abyss from whence it came (US Customs), I think I'll get sick again and never order from Absenta again.

By Cheri on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

dvahacker: I had ordered in the past from absenta. It got to the US but then could move no further. Got notification that it could not "continue on" via US Mail.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Incidentally, the acquiring bank (the one your bank card bank pays) is National Westminster in UK. Known as NatWest. One of the UK's largest and stodgiest banks.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:09 pm: Edit

So, you paid by credit card (Worldpay is a gateway for CC payments for merchants who can't qualify for their own e-commerce merchant accounts. I studied their terms. Highly unsatisfactory.)

If they don't respond to inquiries, and they don't deliver, well, you know what to do. You might give them another email, before you lower the boom.

By Dvahacker on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 11:52 am: Edit

Now I'm worried. I ordered a bottle (yes, just one) from Absenta about 3 weeks ago, and I've heard nothing. I emailed both Absenta and Worldpay... Nada. Zero.
Anyone else had a similar experience with these people?

Help...

By Lacsap on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:42 am: Edit

SC replied today saying that the order was sent FedEx and they will resend the order. Quite nice of them considering the loss they will take.

By Grimm on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

nevermind, I shouldn't post while under
the influence of extreme fatigue.

friday the 4th.

By Grimm on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Hi Raschied,

Jan or december?

__
grimm

By Raschied on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I got an e-mail on Monday the 7th saying that it was shipped air mail on Friday the 4th.

By Grimm on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Hi Raschied,

Just as a comparison, on what date did you receive the confirmation from SC that your order had been mailed?

__
grimm

By Raschied on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I just recieved my first shipment from SC this morning without any trouble. It shipped air mail, with stickers indicating it entered the country at JFK in New York. I was pleasantly suprised to get it delivered on a Saturday. 3 bottles and some glasses.

Peace,

Raschied

By Wolfgang on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 12:56 pm: Edit

I have this big stupid smile on my face...don`t know why ;-)

Good luck guys.

By Verawench on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 09:15 am: Edit

My last order came via FedEx. Hmm.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 03:28 am: Edit

No absinthe sniffing dogs, but I would suggest to SC that air parcel is far preferable to that TN based carrier, who seem to be busybodies. NOBODY needs an ATF import license for 2 bottles, or 5 bottles. They are being shitheads. And of course no ATF import license would be forthcoming, anyway, for absinthe.

Someone, talk to SC and inform them in no uncertain terms that this carrier is unacceptable.

When you instructed these folks to ship back to Spain you incurred an expense much greater than the cost of the two bottles, which SC will have to eat. Bad idea.

SC ought to reship to you, by post, without charge.

NOTICE the issue was liquor via common carrier not absinthe. That is NORMAL. Read the terms and conditions of that Memphis based carrier, or UPS, and you will find that shipping alcoholic beverages is prohibited without arrangements in advance (meaning a license.) They want to be indemnified against this problem.

Nothing to do with absinthe, specifically.

By Lacsap on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 02:47 am: Edit

Well, I only ordered two bottles, so it shouldn't have been too obvious. The message was left on my answering machine, and the lady mentioned "two bottles of liquor" which means they must have opened the package. I don't recall my previous order saying liquor anywhere on the outside of the box, but I may not have noticed. Anyway, she gave me two options, send it back to spain or have it destroyed. I told them to send it back and contacted SC about it. Still waiting to hear back from them.

By Mvario on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 02:23 am: Edit

Hmmm? My last 2 SC orders came via that Memphis based shipping firm. I placed an order last week for a bottle. Wonder if they have those absinthe-sniffing dogs now? ;-)

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 12:04 am: Edit

There's a Memphis based 'shipping company' that comes to mind, and I think sometimes SC has used them at least in the past.

I seem to recall posts to the effect that sometimes SC used these folks at 'no extra charge'. Even if the buyer specified air parcel post. But as I do not buy from SC myself, I don't know whether they still use these folks, ever.

I'm pretty sure that SC would reship at no charge; it sounds like the original shipment is still in Spain.

By Grimm on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I was told by SC my order was shipped airmail to Canada on the 21st of december. I have still not received my order and have had no word.

After having contacted SC, I was told to wait another week, that there are sometimes strange delays.

Well I am definately worried. I ordered 1 bottle + a gift set of 1 bottle, 3 glasses 3 spoons!

Maybe the post offices are cracking down, due to all this sept 11 and anthrax crap.

I really do hope this is just paranoia and that I am just one of those unlucky people who gets to wait 30 days for their SC order to come into Canada!

I say this very tongue in cheek.

__
grimm

By _Blackjack on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Um, yeah. As far as I know, SC only ships via the post office to the US. I don't see how "some shipping company" would be involved...

By Crosby on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 04:09 pm: Edit

An order of five bottles is pretty common and wouldn't attract any attention. I believe SC doesn't offer UPS shipping to the USA anymore. Since the orders arrive by US mail there is no reason for another shipping entity to contact anyone.

By Alisoviejoguy on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Geeeeee? I wasn't too worried untill i read Lacsap's post about the import license. I also live in the US, so hopefully i don't encounter the same problem.

I ordered 5 bottles from them, so I bet I stick out like a sore thumb....

By Verawench on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Two newbies worried about an SC shipment.

GEEEEEEEE........

By Alisoviejoguy on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Ouch. I just made an expensive order through SC myself, and living in California, hopefully I don't encounter the same problem.

Did you get any information on how to obtain a basic import license? Im interested incase i have to get one myself!

By Joalco on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:10 pm: Edit

I've never heard of this happening to anyone before. How big was the order? It seems strange that you'd get a letter from a shipping company. I'd assume if there were any problems with the shipment, you'd be hearing from a government agency, more than likely the post office...

By Lacsap on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 02:31 pm: Edit

I recieved a message today from some shipping company in Tennessee saying that they won't be able to ship my Spirit's Corner order unless I have a basic import license. I ordered from Spirit's Corner about a year ago and had no problems. Anyone else ever had this problem? Anyway to get around it? Thanks for the help.

Pascal

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation