The Forum

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:The Forum
By Krinkov on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 09:36 am: Edit

Thanks Heiko

By Anatomist on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 06:32 am: Edit

Even if such a FAQ were desirable, it wouldn't do much good. Posting warnings, signs and rules hardly ever prevents anyone from doing anything. I've seen people ignore giant red signs looming over dangerous power tools on many occasions. People see what they want to see, and not many people want to see rules and thou shalt nots.

K.

By Heiko on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 06:28 am: Edit

Maybe this belongs to the "oh no he said 'thujone' thread" - but it also fits in here:

The only way to see if a certain absinthe has any special effect on you is to try it. Some alleged thujone contents do not at all reflect any effects - this is what I found out personally. Some people never felt anything special when drinking absinthe (except for the alcohol, which everybody feels, I guess...). I also have to admit the more I drink absinthe, the less special it feels.

One very important thing for newbies (I was completely wrong about this also): La Bleue, bootlegs or vintage absinthe differ very much in taste from the Spanish or other commercial stuff, but they are NOT necessarily more effective in any way. IF they are, they are not at all that strong in secondary effects than people who talk a lot but don't know anything would like you to think. I've experienced the strongest/best secondary effects from some commercial brands, even I have tried different La Bleues, homebrews and even a little bit of vintage.

But of course if I had to judge taste, the commercial oil mixes are not at all as good as a nice distilled product - which in reverse does NOT mean I find any commercial product undrinkable now that I've had a sip of some better absinthes. I don't have the money for exclusive stuff only, and I find some Spanish brands quite enjoyable - maybe not the real thing, but quite good.

In short: don't worry that you miss any special amazing grand secondary effects if don't drink vintage Pernod or superb La Bleue.
If you have the opportunity or just too much money, try these for taste - if you want good effects, drink Deva, NS or Montana (that's my personal experience!)

I hope that helps a little.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 04:28 am: Edit

Krinkov,

You should say what you like and don't let anyone tell you what to say or think. If people disagree with you then fine, let them say so also. The kind of 'party-line' thing that can exist here has irritated me in the past. We've all got our own views and opinions but nobody here has a monopoly on truth and newcomers are not automatically less knowledgable than those currently posting. The only thing we shouldn't do (and many of us do) on this forum is personally insult people.

Hang around, there are a few people here who are very knowledgable on absinthe (but make your own mind up on who). Most of the rest of us just like to drink the stuff, feel it's secondary effects (I am a believer here) etc. We also enjoy a bit of banter about any topic under the sun we choose, NO TOPIC is off limits.

Hobgoblin

By Krinkov on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Ok, I am starting to get a feel for what this forum is about. I would suggest a new faq that would tell newcomers what they are allowed to say...just an idea

Don't get me wrong, I didn't come here to start anything, but it seems when you don't know the "rules" it seems to find you. I'm not pissed off, I don't think it is worth it. I just wanted to learn about a drink called Absinthe that doesn't seem to have many facts about it...thus the reason for posting.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation