The time has come, ted had said, to speak of many things...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:The time has come, ted had said, to speak of many things...
By Artist on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

"Velvet Elvis" always counts...

By Pablo on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:12 am: Edit

Artist, I live in Southern California! Its been a little cold of late (Low 40's at night! How ever will I survive?). Guess I gotta go shopping for some velvet and boots! Does my Elvis painted on velvet count?

By Artist on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 11:35 am: Edit

"ALWAYS THE SUN"

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 10:10 am: Edit

LOL

btw. even it's 5 days old:

"Any German or Italian brands I should concentrate on?"

Sorry I haven't seen this before, but maybe it still helps:

I wouldn't buy any German absinthe except for Tabu. The standard Tabu tastes really good, the 70% is interesting, but it's a little too bitter and much too expensive.
All others I wouldn't buy at all!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 09:52 am: Edit

...and I forgot, lot's of alcohol...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

Lots of velvet and big boots... ;-)

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

I'd like to know how goths can keep their body temperature when the surrounding air is -459.4° Fahrenheit (or 0° Kelvin)???

Just kidding, no need to get upset ;-)

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

You lucky bastard.

By Joalco on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 09:05 am: Edit

This is just an aside, but a groovy one nonetheless...

In November, M. Gira and Angels of Light played here at Emo's, which was a blessing since I never got to see the Swans. Not only did he close the show with Goddamn the Sun, he also hung around the merch booth, wasted time shooting the shit with my old roomie & I, and was kind enough to sign a copy of the Consumer and a couple of cd's...

jc

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 08:14 am: Edit

I said it once and I'll say it again:

Goddamn the Sun.

By Artist on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 03:47 am: Edit

Doesn't_anyone_live_in_sunny_southern_California????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

By Grimm on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 04:31 pm: Edit

New York sounds good to me :)

I would have preferred some place I haven't been to, but heck that's alright!

I am working on getting some absinthe from family in Europe, not to mention I will be visiting many countries before summer.. so the hunt begins!

Any German or Italian brands I should concentrate on?

What about Brussels? Amsterdam or Portugal?

By Tavarua on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 03:15 pm: Edit

"...we get your letters every day."

By Chevalier on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 03:14 pm: Edit

"Letters ... we get letters ..."

By Tavarua on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 03:10 pm: Edit

My bologna has a first name, it's O. S. C. E. R.

By Chevalier on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Aw hell, Dr. O, I know what I meant to say, and it wasn't that you're an "asshole", capital "A" or otherwise. So far, I've never qualified anyone on the forum as one, and I hope I'll never have reason to.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Chev, I have no quarrel with you.

What I said in my post, I hold.

You may differ. I'll respect that.

By Chevalier on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 09:19 am: Edit

Don, you hit the nail on the head regarding that capital "A" comment. I don't know enough about making hausgemacht or distilling absinthe to detect fallacies on anyone's part. I've no quarrel with Dr. O, and there's no need for him to have a quarrel with me. If he really wants one, however, I'll oblige -- though it would be a waste of time for us both.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 07:05 am: Edit

Here is precisely what you said, down below in this very thread, Very Ordinary:

"Now, this is not going to make me a politically correct Forumite, but I have to ask: Is it worth it?

Absinthe has hundreds (maybe thousands, I'm not a chemist) different molecules.

We are lucky that ONE of those molecules is visible: chlorophyll (sp?)

Now, we know that that particular molecule experiences changes over 100 years (the feuille morte thingy).

Well, for you mathematicians, what are the chances that the other hundreds (or thousands) of molecules would not change?

So why pay a lot of money for an oxydized versio of what was a pretty much a blue collar drink?"

NOW does anyone think that Ordinary meant that antique absinthe is DIFFERENT, or that antique absinthe is INFERIOR?

Sounds like he meant inferior to me. Dunno why he wants to claim otherwise now, unless it is just for the purpose of bandying words idly with me as usual.

Anyway, antique absinthe is sometimes inferior, sometimes indifferent, and sometimes spectacular, it's the luck of the draw. As always, a good appraisal can help shift that luck around, sometimes. Ted has had great luck with the contents of what he has acquired, so far.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 06:59 am: Edit

Don't go in search of enemies, against Chevalier, Very Ordinary. All he was saying was that the capitalization, in mid sentence, of Asshole, should have tipped him off that I was talking about you, because you are the only one I address as Asshole, Dr Asshole, etc.

I don't believe Chevalier indicated at any time whether or not he agrees with my ASSessment of you.

The universe will provide you with more than enough enemies, if it hasn't already, without your going hunting for yet one more.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 05:35 am: Edit

I also use a noticeable amount of Damiana, it gives a "sexy" sent to the whole. The problem with that herb is if you use too much it make you piss like a fountain and makes you sleepy. I think the main aphrodisiac aspect of Turnera aphrodisiaca is its sent and maybe the calming effect.

absinthesque : As soon as i will get a produt I can really be proud of, I will be open to samples exchanges. For now, I concider it as just a promising apprentice's good start, even if it's already interesting. For now I find it's not concentrated enough. Not thick enough. The improvement I did on my still head should help doo, thank's to Don's insight about my still being too selective.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 04:49 am: Edit

Tsk, Tsk, Chevalier.... You have always gotten the gentleman's treatment from me

"The capital "A" in "Asshole" should have tipped me offTe"

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 04:49 am: Edit

Tsk, Tsk, Chevalier.... You have always gotten the gentleman's treatment from me

"The capital "A" in "Asshole" should have tipped me offTe"

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

And BTW, im all for a tasting, I'm sure my Mexican friend will produce a bottle of his Damiana absinthe version for the occasion. NY is fine for me.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

"Dr. A. is arguing that it won't be as good as new. "

Read slowly, Don, and you may understand.

What I said is that 100 years old absinthe will be DIFFERENT.

By Absinthesque2 on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Wolf,
I'd love to sample your homebrew!!!

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Vera, at wost, even if we can't find a damn vintage, we could do that tasting anyway("tasting" being more elegant than absinthe binge...).

I would be please to share the green hour with the Raging Lady of Emerald (and hopefully with many other knowledgable forumit absinteurs).

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

"difficult to reproduce accurately"

Would it be possible that Pernod kept millions of liter of absinthe in their cave not only for aging but also for blending different batch ? Maybe they did that to get a more constant taste by averaging multiple batch ?

By Verawench on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 05:46 pm: Edit

*runs off ranting with excitement*

By Verawench on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 05:31 pm: Edit

May the Hudson River run green and the subway vents emit the subtle perfume of artemisia's charms! And may we all be pisscock drunk and happy.

Love and Absinthe amidst the ruins...

By Mvario on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 05:27 pm: Edit

If it's NYC and you need another you can count me in. :-)

By Absinthesque2 on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Well, New York City would be great for me. . .But Europe's a possibility too. I'd definitely be interested.

On the subject of vintage. . .I've reconsidered my opinion about modern oxygenee in light of having tried vintage pernod fils. . .seems to me it's the closest of the modern commercial brands to the original, if you subtract the sugar which is so up front in the oxy. There's a more complex, herbal flavor behind all the sweetness. I totally agree that sugar is a masking agent.

Mark

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 03:24 pm: Edit

The sample I brought was the second Berger clone from us Peter has tasted, and the character Peter speaks of was more prevalent in the first. Unfortunately, these samples are very delicate in nature, and are difficult to reproduce accurately on a small scale....even with good equipment.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Did you also notice that "powdery" character in Jade's Berger ?

By Chevalier on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Thank you!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 01:39 pm: Edit

the pernod pastis/anis was like anis sugar and was quickly abandoned...(i don't even think we put water in it) i'll probably give this bottle to my father-in-law who can dole it out to his marseille buddies instead of the rot-gut pastis they usually drink(maybe not)...the new pernod 68 absinthe was remarkably similar to la fée, and i don't mean this as a compliment...artificial color and a blue-green louche...it is decent as far as commercial brands go, but the family lines were severed by the ban...did pernod copy la fée or maybe make their’s in the same distillery? they are both in the burbs of paris, though la fée is supposed to be made in the same distillery that made la cressonnée (absinthe in a base of watercress…I asked ted if he tried this…yes, not surprising, tasting very vegetal and thus not pursued.)
the clone was stunningly fresh and pointed (being also very young) it is clean and balanced and could be taken straight, but not the best way...water really releases the fairy...we didn’t add any sugar during the tasting…’sugar is a masking agent’, ted’s mantra, that, until recently, I have all but ignored…I like sugar, I like putting it in absinthe, but it is not necessary with the good stuff…there is a dry sophistication that those who search out fine alcohols like scotch, cognac/armagnac, fine marcs, etc. will discover, when the star anis cloud is lifted from their perception of what absinthe is supposed to taste like...the whole perception of 'what it is supposed to taste like'(whoa! what is it supposed to taste like? like the original, one hundred years later?-not exactly-like a recreation of what some people said and wrote it was supposed to taste like?-if you want to trust advertising pamphlets and posters, drunken poetical musings, bad first and only tastes of rot-gut, or the multitude who enjoyed a little 'l'heure verte' and weed out the truth… the truth is, it was far too much a part of society to merely be popular because it fucked you up (though, obviously one reason)then what? It tasted good …is that so wrong? is it so outrageous that absinthe might have (by quality producers) always tasted really good? age changes it, tames it to a degree, if it was not tortured during it’s enterrement, it keeps it’s original character and develops other ‘eccentricities’ some charming, some like, well, as the french say referring to very old people ‘not fresh.’ and someone will like that (there are french cheeses that will make you squirm when you smell them, but once you get them into your mouth, it’s another story)…both the pernod fils and the berger (to a greater degree) fill the room with herbal, heady, anis-scents, and once tasted, these linger in the mouth and nose and happily, do not leave you with a stunned tongue…an empty glass will remain scented for a long time, until it is washed with soap…so, as of this time, no one has convinced me of exactly what absinthe did taste like, but I will say that I am convinced of what it should of tasted like…
history is repeating itself backwards, with the opportunists trying to cash in on exactly why absinthe was finally chastised ( poorly, or criminally made products, touting things it can’t do, or just isn't, will always make the spotlight by the gullible and the governments created to protect those who have escaped nature’s axe of natural selection or those who merely don’t want to be responsible for their own actions.) they (producers) are paving their streets with ice…the irony of it all is not so far away, with those ‘pioneers’ left holding their bags of empty promises, coming up with excuses like ‘but we were sure that it was supposed to taste like shit, and have high thujone, ‘cause that’s what is really was, wasn’t it?’ my french boss tried to screw me out of alot of money because he claimed 'there must have been some problems, maybe, with understanding the translation'... if you can’t remember or research history, re-invent it, after all, most people are too bored by it to seek it out for themselves…
ted explained to us that pernod fils falls in to a center category when compared to other absinthes he has tasted and cloned, with edouard pernod on one end of the scale(being drier and austere which I consider a swiss or pontarlier style, like the cool, mountainous country side) and berger on the other (which, though also made in switzerland, was also made in marseille, taking the more spicey, provençal route)...ted said pernod fils is a very good absinthe, but does not have the same character as the other absinthes...i'm afraid this is a very subjective statement, but honest, coming from someone who knows… this may have been the secret to it’s success, the ‘sara lee’ absinthe (for those too young or not from the usa, the ad went; ‘everybody doesn’t like something, but nobody doesn’t like sara lee')...what was really interesting was that the vintage pernod fils had a similar ‘powdery’ character as the vintage berger (i also poured some to compare with the berger clone ted had brought on my request) actually, I chose those two samples when given the generous opportunity to select what ted would bring…it was more important to me to actually compare all the pernod products and the clone to really understand what jade is all about, along with the berger, for the same reasons…as don has said, pernod is not pernod fils anymore...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Dear Chevalier

Dr Ordinary can only ever be right by accident. IN this instance he is arguing the diammetric opposite of what Absintheur did. Absintheur, who knows a lot more than Dr.Asshole does, argued that we should not base Jade on old Pernod because it would be better after 100 years! and therefore "unauthentic"...I replied that since this improvement works to the consumer's advantage, why NOT do it?

Dr. A. is arguing that it won't be as good as new.

They can't both be right.

In fact both are wrong in different ways.

Ted picks and chooses what he samples. And obviously he doesn't base anything on an 'off' bottle.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 01:18 pm: Edit

For sure an 100 years old bottle will not taste as a fresh one. I asked that question to Mme Delahaye and she told me that one day she tasted some vintage Edouard Pernod from an half full bottle with a less than perfect cork and to her surprise, it was delicious. Let's not forget that it's a very high proof alcohol. On the other hand, she had also tasted some undrinkable bottles. It is absolutly possible that the bottle we will get will be undrikable. It's a gamble.

I assume we will soon ear Peter's review anyway, that will give us an idea...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I'd entirely understand if Ted chose not to involve himself in our bottle search. (It's a case of "been there, done that" for him.) Even so, one hopes that he'll nudge us in the right direction, give some pointers, etc.

Or maybe Dr. O is right: a bottle of old Pernod Fils will have undergone some chemical changes, slight though they may be, and there's no guarantee that an aging absinthe, sampled today, would be as "good" as -- let alone better than -- a fresh batch sipped on a spring day in 1898.

It's quite possible that a new bottle of 21st century Jade will end up looking, smelling and tasting more "authentic" than a surviving bottle of 19th century Pernod Fils. That doesn't discount what tasters of uncontaminated vintage Pernod Fils have said about it: it's good. I'd try it in any case.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I will pay for my last trip before going back ;-)

Unfortunatly not this year for sure, and only if Peter removes me from his black list for having said unkind things about his friend (for wich I'm sorry).

As for having a bottle in New York, I would be surprized if Ted couldn't find a bottle.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 11:19 am: Edit

nothing is planned...just possible...it is much easier and less expensive to travel to europe than people might think, especially hotel rates compared to new york city...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

Petermarc, you're cryptic to a "T". I like it. Where? When?

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 10:27 am: Edit

i already said that something like this is already possible...just not in new york...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 10:02 am: Edit

Yes, let's cross our fingers that someone who could help to find it ... will be willing to do so. So far, no volunteers. Shall we give it a week and see if any white knights pop up?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 09:19 am: Edit

First lets find a bottle... It have to be in good condition so it may be difficult...

By Verawench on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 09:08 am: Edit

Yeah, I won't have any vacation until the end of April. Let's shoot for early summer, I say. Green everywhere, mellow weather.. perfect Absinthe in New York weather.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 08:27 am: Edit

" 'Artemis, it's great to hear that Oxygenée could participate if he chose to.' I detect a note of sarcasm in that."

Honestly, Artemis, no sarcasm was intended. I really do like David, aka Oxygenée, and I think it would be great if some of us could meet him in person. As you've pointed out, it was a poor choice to name him as someone "too far away" to come to a gathering. Poor, but not intentional.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:42 am: Edit

New York would be perfect. It was already on my "to be visited" list anyway and it's not too far away.

Of course there will be more than just this old bottle of Pernod... I would be glad to provide some Hausgematche and hope to taste some other interesting product at the same time.

Let's do it this year if possible but not too soon so people (me included) will have some time to save some money...

By Tavarua on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:52 pm: Edit

*Slaps a glazed duck on the table*

That's not it,

*Reaching in to his pocket and producing leapard binkini briefs, slapping them on the table*

That's not it, blushing,

This goes on for about ten more minutes and jackpot,

*Finds a hundred dollar bill and slaps it quite firmly on the table*

Count me in. New York, New York. Sounds like a truly great and original idea.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:35 pm: Edit

"Artemis, it's great to hear that Oxygenée could participate if he chose to."

I detect a note of sarcasm in that. I don't know him and certainly don't deign to speak for him; I just thought he was a poor example (because of his obvious resources) of someone who would be left out because he lives far away from most of us. For a lot of forum members in the U.S., buying a bottle of even modern absinthe is somewhat of a budget consideration, to say nothing of travelling to drink it. If I had a point, it was that.

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 05:55 pm: Edit

NYC is my hometown, so I'm in if that's the case. What about Marc? Still in Vegas?

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

There would definitely need to be more than our one bottle of Pernod present- every brand we can find that is worth drinking would be good...

See, if the Pernod turns out to suck and be all oxidized and stuff, we will need to drown our sorrows.

I like NYC too- how bout the rest of you?

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 05:26 pm: Edit

There would definitely need to be more than our one bottle of Pernod present- every brand we can find that is worth drinking would be good...

See, if the Pernod turns out to suck and be all oxidized and stuff, we will need to drown our sorrows.

I like NYC too- how bout the rest of you?

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:58 pm: Edit

threeblindfées

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:53 pm: Edit

pernod anis/pastis sadly like anis candy water/alcohol...removed from louche line-up, without being watered...my wallet sighs...
pernodlouche3

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Artemis, it's great to hear that Oxygenée could participate if he chose to. David's the nicest guy imaginable, and enthusiastic about sharing the information he uncovers. As enthusiastic as you and many others here.

The bottle is a risk, all right, but I'll throw some silver into the pot even though I won't be able to taste the reward. Call it a contribution to the best of the Absinthe Forum.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:14 pm: Edit

"Far-flung folks like Oxygenée and me would be left out ..."

Well, from what I know about Oxygenée, he's only left out if he wants to be. His resources are enviable, and his experience is formidable. I'd be surprised if he doesn't already know exactly what 19th century Pernod is like.

There is some merit to what Dr. O. said. I have tasted "vintage" Berger, and it while it was very interesting, and an altogether pleasant experience, it was not like fresh absinthe and not, I'm sure, like it was in its original form. It was totally "feuille morte" and had undertones of old leather, polished wood. This in no way means that an old bottle of Pernod is not worth pursuing, it's just that I don't know to what extent you could depend upon it giving you that "Fin de Siecle" flavor. Unless we mean the Fin of the current Siecle.

Speaking for myself, if there was a gathering to which I was already going, and if it became known that a bottle of 1898 Pernod would be there, it would certainly further motivate me, but the idea of shelling out a lot of money for a bottle AND then travelling to drink (probably very little of) it .... well, maybe if I didn't have to travel very far. I think Vera's idea is better. Sorry, I can't help with finding nor distribution, but I'd be willing to kick in some cash.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Boys,

I vote for New York City.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Okay, got it. The capital "A" in "Asshole" should have tipped me off.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Oh, by all means, Chevalier, that was directed at DR Asshole, aka Ordinaire, and certainly not at you.

Thanks for the email by the way.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Sounds right. The key is having someone with us who has the ability to find and obtain a bottle. Only a very few on this forum fit the bill. Petermarc, would you be able to help?

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

finding a full or half-full bottle of vintage absinthe is mostly dumb-luck and connections (mostly dumb-luck)and who says this get-together isn't already possible?

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I'm down, and I think a get together would be the only way to go.

Given the geography involved, we should find out (on a map) where all the pernod-seekers are and work out the most central one. That one would get to host (or at least their town would) to minimize driving time/flying costs for everybody.

Like, Vera is a 24 hour drive (with no rest) from where I am. Someplace between, seen?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Don, were you directing that last post to me, or to Dr. Ordinaire?

If directed to me, I have to ask: What could possibly be wrong with trying to find a bottle of vintage absinthe?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:32 pm: Edit

You're right, Asshole, you're not a chemist.

So stop making a fool of yourself.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Dr. O, I know little about molecules and will never be a distiller. But I trust what some forumites who have tasted uncontaminated vintage Pernod have said about it. Naturally, we'd avoid purchasing a bottle with a rotten cork, or worse. As for being a blue-collar drink, Pernod was one of the most expensive absinthe brands. (Absinthe Oxygenée cost a bit more, I think.) More bourgeois than blue-collar.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Now, this is not going to make me a politically correct Forumite, but I have to ask: Is it worth it?

Absinthe has hundreds (maybe thousands, I'm not a chemist) different molecules.

We are lucky that ONE of those molecules is visible: chlorophyll (sp?)

Now, we know that that particular molecule experiences changes over 100 years (the feuille morte thingy).

Well, for you mathematicians, what are the chances that the other hundreds (or thousands) of molecules would not change?

So why pay a lot of money for an oxydized versio of what was a pretty much a blue collar drink?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Well, that makes three potential shareholders so far. Now, who will lead the search party?

It's in our reach, compadres. Let's find it.

By Joalco on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I wouldn't be any help in the search, but I'd sure as hell slap down a bill or two... And open my home (plenty of room) for anyone who'd be down...

It begins...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

That's the spirit! Could you help us, Petermarc? Frenchman Phil? Who would join this cause?

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:18 pm: Edit

A get together would be critical. We would have the pleasure to see that bottle being opened. We would have the pleasure to raise our glass together to the glory of la belle epoque. We would also have the pleasure to taste some other good absinthes and if we were lucky enaugh, we would have the pleasure to taste it side by side with Jade Edouard, water poured from Ted's fountain :-)

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:08 pm: Edit

It's an open secret that some of the forumites know how to obtain pre-ban Pernod. They probably wouldn't wish to make their knowledge public, but a few private e-mails back and forth could get us started. I'm with you and Vera, Wolfgang: $100+ would be worth a sip of a legend.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Hrm... I don't think a get-together is a good idea. Fights over the precious liquid would inevitably break out. I propose a distribution of standard-size samples from a trustworthy purchaser (I am NOT volunteering).

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:56 pm: Edit

"*slaps her $100 on the table* "

Would it be enaugh for a dose ?

If we count 25 doses in 1 litre and assume 800ml left in the bottle (chance are the bottle would not be completly full even if unopened) it makes 20 available doses. At 100US$ a dose it makes 2000$ ... I wonder what could be the price for a nicely preserved bottle of vintage pernod...?

If the tasting place was not too far (less than 10h drive from Montreal), I would also "slap my 100$ (ok, 150can$) on the table".

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Groups -- assuming there would be more than one of them -- would have to be organized by region. There could be a European group (which has the advantage of the well-connected Petermarc), a North American group, and an Australian group. Far-flung folks like Oxygenée and me would be left out, but many others, including some newbies and lurkers we're not even aware of yet, could participate.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:32 pm: Edit

The problem is we are sprayed all around the world. The cost of the travel to this tasting could be enaugh to actually buy the bottle...

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Hear hear!
*slaps her $100 on the table*
I'm up for it.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Perhaps .... perhaps ... it's time for a group of us to throw some money together and get our hands on an unopened bottle of drinkable pre-ban Pernod absinthe. I'm happy for Petermarc, Ted, Don, Chrysippvs, etc.; but what about the rest of us?

If someone here agrees to act as a "banker" and "finder", we could do it. Then we could meet and sample our prize. Granted, it would be expensive, and the number of contributors per bottle couldn't be excessive. But hey, why not try?

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:49 am: Edit

Punctuation, ha!

Anybody remember Freddy? Words like grain pouring from a silo, not a comma in sight.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:24 am: Edit

Ok, this week Peter gives me a good reason to wake up and move my ass to the office ... to look at the forum in case he posted something more ;-) . And even if he didn't, I can still look at those two glass in the middle and dream.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 05:48 am: Edit

And this time, for chrissakes, use punctuation!

gratefully,
the editor

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:34 am: Edit

you forget, that to make a good glass of absinthe, it is also drop by drop, done very slowly...
(but i'm not doing this to jerk you around, it will just take a little time to get my thoughts together and catch my breath)

By Aion on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:50 am: Edit

Like this chinese water drop torture,
drip .... drip .... , ...
One drop of information every day,
Peter, that is almost cruelty.
A.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:21 am: Edit

very tired...photos easy...fumbling with garter-snaps....

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:55 am: Edit

Hmm, you are going for the slow tease eh Peter? By my calculation the tasting notes will be posted on Friday, lol.

By Petermarc on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

1-new 'pernod 68' absinthe
2-pernod fils clone -circa january 2002
3-vintage pernod fils -circa 1910
4-pernod pastis/anis -circa 1930s+(?)

pernod4

By Petermarc on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:03 pm: Edit

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 03:36 pm: Edit

"Absinthe green", as a hue, cannot compare with the "Envy green" a lot of us feel while watching that pic...

By Timk on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:02 pm: Edit

so thats where all the pre ban absinthe has gone : (

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Great leather articulated bat wings actually, black as the night and the pits of my soul.

By Verawench on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 08:50 pm: Edit

It is like the color of forest ponds by which I laid sleeping in the summer as a child and woke up to catch the sun and my reflection in their depths.

By Petermarc on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 04:37 pm: Edit

pernodline

By Petermarc on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 04:34 pm: Edit

pernodline

By Petermarc on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

of sales and shipping, and sealing wax;
and why the czechs think of themselves as kings...
the subtleties in recipes, and whether don has wings.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation