Pop culture

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Pop culture
By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I never thought it possible, but the book blows the movie away.

By Timk on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:38 am: Edit

Anyone read akira - i just finished book 4, i have to say, its as good as the hype so far

By Malhomme on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:08 am: Edit

Like I said, it's less laid-on than most absinthe scenes in movies... very casual, understated. Some good pics though, just so you know what it is.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:57 pm: Edit

That was a great movie, from the time when Depardieu was not just another Hollywood sellout.

I don't remember the absinthe scene, I should see it again one day...

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:27 pm: Edit

That figures, I missed the first part of the movie. I caught it when he was already raising rabbits and the asshole next door was already scheming against him.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Yes it's the movie version. They don't make a big play of it being absinthe at all (so un-Hollywood-like!) but simple pour glasses in the cafe and start gossiping. It's in the first 30 minutes of the film. After "Perfect Drug" it's my favorite pop reference.

malhomme

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Is that a Jean de Florette comic series?

I've seen the movie, Jean de Florette (or most of it) and the sequel, where his daughter gets revenge on the villagers, but I don't remember any references to absinthe at all.

I have in the attic a box of Heavy Metals from the 70s and 80s. Perhaps at least part of "The Immortals Fete" is in there. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Jean de Florette has a scene where a bunch of the village folk are drinking absinthe, out of chope yvonnes if I remember correctly. Man, what an awsome series!!!

-malhomme

By Bjacques on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 02:39 am: Edit

I can't remember who did "What is Reality, Papa?" but I've seen other adventures and other work by the artist. In the Eurozone, that stuff is all over the place. Most of the comics I collected started from Heavy Metal. "Those Annoying Post Bros" and its various spinoffs, by Matt Howarth, also started there, as "Changes." I knew it could get out of hand one day, so I stuck with just a few artists/titles and followed them to their end.

In Liege (Inspector Maigret's hometown), Belgium, there was an exhibit last year of work by Enki Bilal, who did "The Immortals' Fete," a series that ran in HM in the early 80s. Sadly, I didn't get to see it.

Even the Heavy Metal movie has its charms. The "So Beautiful & So Dangerous" segment is another lost future, space disco, massive party zone space stations, and piloting spaceships ripped to the tits on Plutonian Nyborg.

By Petermarc on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 05:52 am: Edit

bienvenue! make sure to let me know when you're in paris, you need to try the new françois guy absinthe from pontarlier...of course, we are looking forward to J-day, when the best absinthe will invade france's shores(sans maillot de bain)...c'est toujours l'heure verte chez pierre verte à paris...blois is a nice town, my wife's best friend's parents live there...chateaux-a-plenty!

By Fredswimsuit on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 04:06 am: Edit

Hello from France!
I'm new here and I enjoy a lot with this very interesting site! Well, I drink absinthe since 1988 (my first bottle was a "Segarra", I bought it in Spain on the Mediterranean coast) and my favourite absinthe labels are the "Oxygénée Cusenier" and the "Philip Lasala".
I have to say that you can find a nice song called "Absinthe" on the last Damned record "Grave Disorder" (Nitro, 2001) which is really excellent. The song has been written by the singer, Dave Vanian.

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Druillet.

Yeah, that's it! I couldn't have come up with that name in a million years, but that's him. Seems like all the best stuff was by Frenchmen, or they had French names, anyway.

Moebius

I remember him, too. Did he do "What is Reality, Poppa?" ? I haven't been in a comics store in years; not sure I've ever been in a GOOD one. I'm reading "V for Vendetta" because it was gift from the venerable Head P. It brings back memories of the days when a visit to the drugstore for the latest issue of "Heavy Metal" and a fat number of CeeBo was my idea of the right way to spend a rainy afternoon ...

By Bjacques on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 06:07 am: Edit

Yeah, you can find Salammbo as a graphic novel in any decent comics store. It was by Druillet. I think it was still in print. You might also like "The Incal Light," serialized about the same time, by Moebius and Alejandro Jodorowsky. That's another can of lunatic worms entirely.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Skinned himself. Because that's what people do when they're on an absinthe "jag" according to the cop who told the story in the movie.

I'm reading "V For Vendetta" at the moment; it's totally new to me.

The towering statues of the kings along the river in the LOTR movie put in mind of a comic saga that ran in "Heavy Metal" years ago - I *think* it was called "Salaambo", but I can find nothing on it on the Internet now. Anybody remember that? A culture that had similar towering statues, as big as *moons* positioned on the approach to their planet?

By Tavarua on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:02 pm: Edit

A yes, "Deceiver". Remember this quote:

"The last time I saw someone drink a whole bottle of absinthe they peeled their face off, because he thought there was bugs under his skin."

or something along those lines.

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I enjoyed "From Hell", inaccurate absinthe scene aside. My favorite absinthe scenes are in "Total Eclipse."

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I dunno- you couldn't do most of the parallel scene thingies, but you could adapt them. The technique has been used in films before (the simplest way is I think a fade from one scene to the other.)

It would require a director who understood and was faithful to the spirit of the book, but who was also artistically capable of adapting it.

The other themes of the book would be adaptable easily enough- start with modern times, the knot-tops taking out the old superhero, and flashback into the heyday of the Watchmen for a bit.

Then back to modern day, continue the story to it's conclusion.

Which would leave the theater going audience bitter and depressed.

Nevermind!

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Well, Watchmen is basically unfilmable. The same might be said for most of Moore's work, but Watchmen, in particular, depends so heavily on the paradigms and devices of the comics medium that it would lose most of its power if turned into a film. Film, for all its virtues, lacks comics' level of control over the flow of time in the audience's experience, which, in this case especially, is vital to the story being told.

That being said, Warner has been bouncing around the idea of a movie for years. There was even a screenplay, which was so bad, and so entirely divergent from the themes of the novel, that it may as well have been called something else:

Quote:

A magnified view of the SPECK, which turns out to be a futuristic, blimplike HOVERCRAFT -- the OWLSHIP.

SWAT CAPTAIN (O.S.): Christ almighty, it's the goddamned Watchmen!

http://fearfulsymmetry.batcave.net/

By Mr_Rabid on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Damn straight. Why couldn't they have made V for Vendetta or the Watchmen or something?

Promethia? The LOEG?

By Verawench on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, "From Hell".

I think my subconscious blocked that one out. Ugh.

By Verawench on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:20 pm: Edit

double post

By Thegreenimp on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Madame X, the Lanna Turner version was just on, a week ago on Turner Classic Movies........There is also a very funny scene in the old W.C. Fields movie "The Bank Dick" where Field's suggests that to nervous film producer that Absinthe is very good for the nerves........then the film producer knocks back two glasses like tequila shots.
It even louched.
Jay

By Rimbaud on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Deceiver, Pretty Baby, From Hell, The Wolf at the Door, Vincent & Theo, Lust For Life...

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Verawench on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:54 am: Edit

The Dracula scene was pretty accurate and rather sexy, except for the silly sugar cube sucking.

Also:

Nine Inch Nails - "Perfect Drug" video

By Verawench on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:49 am: Edit

Total Eclipse

By Raschied on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:21 am: Edit

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the pop references to absinthe over the past twenty years? I wouldn't think it was a long list - I can only think of three:

1. Moulin Rouge - duh.
2. Bram Stoker's Dracula - It's been a while since I saw it, but I seem to remember Winona Ryder and Gary Oldman drinking absinthe near the middle of the film.
3. Highlander TV series - There was an episode with an evil Immortal that Duncan tracks down because of his specialized drinking habit. Shows a purchase of illegal absinthe in Paris.

Any others?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation