Distillery of Martin Sebor

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Distillery of Martin Sebor
By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Seriously though, Sebor is the best of the Czech products (I know that isn't saying much). It is the only one that appears to contain any reasonable degree of effort, and Mr. Sebor is deserving of that much credit. Unfortunately, one of his distributors has a lousy reputation.

If it's any consolation, you can feel better in knowing that you didn't get a completely bogus product. It was just one that did not suit your taste, and rest assured there are others that are considerably worse.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 05:28 pm: Edit

A look at the metatags for the Sebor website reveals:

"Absinthe distillery Martin Sebor, original Edouard Pernod recipe...."

Look, We've had enough Sebor-bashing, so don't blame Mr. Sebor. He *did* use the original Edouard Pernod recipe.....he just didn't realize that it was the recipe for Edouard Pernod Ass Pimple Tonic and not his absinthe!

By Traineraz on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 05:21 pm: Edit

After reading positive comments about Sebor's products, I feel a need to toss in my two cents worth:

A taste test of Sebor Strong revealed the following:

Bouquet: Rubbing alcohol.

Dominant flavor: Bitter rubbing alcohol, even with sugar.

Color: From the bottle, similar to first-press olive oil. Diluted, similar to cheap olive oil.

At a price of $65 for one bottle, I expected something that didn't smell and taste like it belonged on a cotton pad. I can't imagine Martin Sebor actually being PROUD of such a low-grade product.

After a first taste, I only continued with a total of four glasses because of the supposed high thujone content, effects of which I did not experience. However, I DID experience a lovely hangover, which I have not received from Deva or Serpis.

Sebor Strong can be made tolerable by combining with Serpis at a 2:1 Sebor:Serpis ratio, which imparts some flavor and a pleasant golden color.

Perhaps I got a really horrifyingly bad batch?

By Malhomme on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Joalco
Excellent. Let me know when!
Email me this week and I'll give you my number.

malhomme

By Joalco on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 10:05 am: Edit

Malhomme ~

Talk about a blast from the past! Eric & I were able to get together one night before he left town again, and spoke of many things. When he returns from the road, we will have to get together. I've just received orders from SC and Sebor, and am waiting to receive a package of Wolvie's goods.

We'll have some catching up to do!

jc

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 01:53 am: Edit

I like Sebor. It tastes good. I couldn't care less about how it's made, it's the taste that counts.

It also brings back those happy memories of recieving half litre bottles from Kyle all wrapped up in Czech newspaper.

The only thing wrong with Sebor is that Kyle cannot supply it to the UK any more.

Hobgoblin

By Malhomme on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Joalco,
Dammit, it's been too long. Absinthe party it my house next month.

malhomme

By Raschied on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I ordered a bottle on the 9th of the Classic 55% from La Boheme - It came registered mail today in a cylindrical tube, wrapped to death in bubble wrap. The mailman was REAL curious what was in the package, because it was covered in Czech stickers. I have to admit - it does look cool. I'll post a pic if you're interested.

By Tavarua on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Tequila and Hotsauce = Prairy Fire

Or

To really turn someone's stomach, the old Cement mixer, Bailey's Irish with splash of Rossa's Line Juice, is always reliable.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 12:28 am: Edit

I try never to think of those two at ALL.

By Heiko on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 06:38 pm: Edit

"I can't think of a worse pairing than MM and Sebors."

I can: Starop and Neto Costa,

and I call this drink the "Taste of Death"

By Chevalier on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Here's a dartboard (or at least it looks like one) for the burned to take revenge on.
Aim well, lads >- >- >- my picture

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Sebors claims a lot of things I wouldn't bet the bankroll on.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Sebor claims to be naturally colored. That doesn't mean it's TRADITIONALLY colored, mind you...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 07:16 am: Edit

I can't think of a worse pairing than MM and Sebors.

Besides, the artificial colors will achieve critical mass and the mixture will be played all about with Cherenkov radiation, you will get cataracts and lose your hair, radiation sickness is no fun.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 07:07 am: Edit

Maybe I didn't lost my money afer all...Damn it, I dont want to like it !

Maybe it would be good to mix it with some pastis or MM to increase the louche and make it easyer to drink ? I will check as soon as I get it.

I also think you should keep Sebor in the fridg if you want to get some light louche.

By Aion on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 03:53 am: Edit

Albeit a little thin and watery there is
one very pleasant aromatic hint that could
derive from the herb (or oil of) tansy that
is not found in any other commercial product
I tried until now.
A.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 03:32 am: Edit

I starting to agree with you on Sebor Marc. I had never tried it until recently and although the louche is so weak as to be non-existent the nose has that odd character that I have only previously found in vintage samples.

By Marccampbell on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 03:02 am: Edit

Dammit I like Sebor. Perhaps its because it was the first absinthe I'd ever drunk and I have a sentimental attachment to it. I purchased mine from Kyle and his service was impeccable.

Blackjack,
thanks for the sweet comment about my wife. After 12 years of living together she still gets me hot.

By Raschied on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Any feedback on shopping from La Boheme? I ordered a bottle from them on the 9th.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Kyle's site seems to indicate that he's not taking any new customers, but will continue to serve his regulars. New customers are directed to the Sebor UK site, with their oh-so-friendly prices.

Bah. I think I'll skip the whole thing for now.

By Giovannigray on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Ditto on Kyle.. I ordered from him a couple of months ago. The very well-packaged bottles arrived in 5 days in perfect condition.

Sebor has a distinctive flavor - herbal and bitter. While I actually like it, especially the bitter aftertaste it has, I understand those who don't. When I'm in the mood for absinthe, I rely on NS, Segarra, Deva, or La Bleue. But on some days, I find that I'm really in the mood for a glass of Sebor, and I'm glad I have some on hand.

Chacun a son gout.

By Dvahacker on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Yeah, I had to take advantage of one of their package deals (2 ABSINTH STRONG 60%, 1 SOUVENIR CZECH ABSINTH STRONG 60%, and 1 CLASSIC ABSINTH 55%)... Even if they taste like lighter fluid, the bottles are pretty. I just hope his isn't as bad as everyone states...
As a backup, I have a bottle of Deva 70% and Deva 55% en route.

Party at my house!!!

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:32 pm: Edit

The first absinthe I ever tried was some Sebor ordered from Kyle back in the summer/autumn of 1998. I paid $50 for 1 liter (one sealed 500ml bottle, and the other 500ml in a plastic soft
drink bottle, to keep down shipping costs). It tastes pretty bad and doesn't louche. I did order from him again, for lack of access to anything else and due to the fact that he said they were using a new formula at the time. It wasn't any better, just darker green in color. Kyle was very quick & reliable, however. If you insist on trying it, go with Kyle.

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Joalco on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Done and done! And I do mean done!

It would be incredible, more exclusive than the mile-high club... If we count living members, that is.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Joalco, join the quest for pre-ban Pernod. (See "The time has come, ted had said, to speak of many things..." subtopic.)

By Joalco on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:53 pm: Edit

I've always ordered direct from Kyle (always being three times, that is) and I've never had a problem. Delivery was always very swift (4-5 days), the order, (even when multiples) arrived safely, and so on. Granted, it's not the best absinthe I've ever tasted, but nor is it the worst. It's got some interesting characteristics, and is worth sampling at the least.

At least until Jade arrives... (And although I'm toeing treason here, I gotta say it...) If that day ever comes. I realize that you guys (Ted, Don, and any other good folks who are helping you) are trying to jump through flaming hoops (or spoons? -- ack!), but we, the absinthe-mad masses, are impatient. Must be all the thujone.

(Not only treasonous, but using the T-word as well...)

A forumite was good enough to let me sample some prerelease, and it was exquisite... I just can't wait to check out the final release.

Until then, we wait... And scratch our head inexplicably at why the bestabsinthe.com site still says 2001....

And read of Wolfie's progress... And attempt our own.

You guys help make the new year worthwhile!

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Marc thinks it's yummy, apparently, and, after meeting his wife, I'm prone to trust his taste. I suspect Sebor's appeal is similar to my fondness for veggie-burgers: it doesn't taste like the real thing, but it has a unique charm all its own...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

I also got it packed in a cheap tupperware. Sooo ridiculous, as if they alredy knew it would break. No tupperware would be needed if a proper packing was used.

By Cheri on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Alarick: It came within 10 days to the delivery address in Pennsylvania. I remember being surprised as to how fast it got here. But that was over a year ago, so I don't know if that would still hold true. The bottle was packed within a tupperware container. Maybe Wolfgang scared 'em!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

And is a "Garanteed aphrodisiac" ! Watch out your chimp!

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:32 pm: Edit

"CZECH ABSINTH STRONG from Mr Sebor destillery, will satisfy strong alcoholic lovers"

Um... buff drunken bedmates?

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I like Sebors. I used to get it from Kyle.

He was good to do business with- prompt, forthright etc.

But it's just too expensive (it was expensive then, even) and too much of a pain in the ass to order.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:57 am: Edit

I don't have any expectation about it. I just want to be able to say "I tasted two czech absinthes and from experience I can say it is crap so don't buy it".

Maybe I should have buy more ethanol for hausgematche with that money but well, we will see.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

I obtained 2 of the 500 ml bottles of Kyle's 'export' grade from a pal in UK, who hand carried them to Bkk. This was over a year ago.

I had 1 drink out of 1 bottle, had trouble finishing it; tried again to make sure it was as bad as I thought, and didnt bother to finish the second glass. Gave both bottles away. Cancel the Czechs!

Ugh.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 10:22 am: Edit

Haha! good luck guys, that`s exactly the place where I had so much trouble.

According to Kyle, that`s a ripoff. What was remaining in the package (mixed with broken glass shards...) smelled like bad industrial alcohol.

I will soon see for myself, my nose don`t lie.

By Alarick on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 09:31 am: Edit

Cheri, Thats the same stuff i ordered a few days ago, before i found out about SC..
How did the Czech place handle your order and how slow was the shipping for you?

By Cheri on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 09:16 am: Edit

My first encounter with absinthe was with this stuff:
http://www.seborabsinth.cz/strong.htm
I'm surprised I lived. Thank God I found this forum and realized there were many other brands out there that were OH SO MUCH BETTER.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 08:02 am: Edit

Good luck. It's a little cheaper La Boheme (www.laboheme.uk.com), even though it's the so-called "domestic" version (aka Krasna Lipa). They seem to be having a sale on it.

IIRC no one has been able to discern much of a difference between the two versions, though Sebor made much of the supposedly increased thujone content in the "authentic" version.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:41 am: Edit

I just ordered a small bottle from seborabsinth.com . We will see what happen...

For educational purpose only.

About 80 US$ including shipping for a 500ml bottle, that's crazy. But i want to know.

(And if the montreal's forumits also want to know, it will be 9 can$/oz ;-) )
wolf-afraid!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 06:13 am: Edit

Yes, after I installed my anti-Sebor web site and registered it on every damn search engines, they finaly sent the money back. I then removed the web site of course.

For the records, I got a broken bottle, poorly packed. Communication was done through an automated translator and they accused me of being affiliated with Kyle, their competitor (it's not true of course).

Take note that there's more than one distributor for Sebor. I don't know about Kyle (http://www.sebor-absinth.com/ ) as I have not ordered from him. I would order from him (or from the links he provide) if I wanted taste it and was willing to pay the price.

I asked my friends who went to CZ to bring me back a bottle but they couldn't find it in Prague. Maybe it's only for export. That's the only czech absinthe I'm still willing to taste but I'm reluctant about shelling out the exorbitant amount of money they ask for it.

Let us know if you finaly get your hands on a botle.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 12:48 am: Edit

Heh. Do a keyword search for "Sebor Wolfgang".
That's one reason Czech 'absinth' is not popular...

Did they ever send your money back, Wolfgang?

By Alarick on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I know that Czech Absinthe is not exactly popular, but I wanted to find out for myself as to why.

And I am curious if anyone had ordered from the Distillery of Martin Sebor in the Czech republic, and if so about how long did it take to get your order?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation