Surrey with a drunk on top!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Surrey with a drunk on top!
By Tavarua on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 02:43 pm: Edit

A fine example indeed.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

"But contemplate this, you better be wearing your cowboy boots when the hodown comes."

Mexican carpenter, barefoot, with his hat in his hands, obsequiously:

"Senor, can we come to tha fiesta?"

Clint Eastwood, the "High Plains Drifter", up on his horse:

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 08:43 am: Edit

This does give hausgemacht a certain appeal. I shudder to think of how many sets of hands have to handle that precious booze before it makes it into the glass.

By Tavarua on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 08:18 am: Edit

You may be right about that. But contemplate this, you better be wearing your cowboy boots when the hodown comes.

By Artemis on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The Chinese were using Marijuana when the inhabitants of Mexico, if there were any, were still wiping their asses with cactus. There is nothing new under the sun. Likewise, this has been hashed out here before. When the crackdown does come, bragging about how many bottles you received through the mail in a public forum isn't likely to influence it in a postive direction.

By Raschied on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

As the popularity grows, so will the crackdowns. Sooner or later some idiot will rob a convenience store or kill someone, and blame it on the absinthe. Then the mainstream media will pick up on the "absinthe connection" and it will all be over. Stupid? Yes. Unfounded? Yep. But that's the way it goes in the "land of the free."

A Few years ago I tried to find out about absinthe, and could find very little. Now, there are places like this one to go to if you ask the right questions. With products like Absente hitting the market, critical mass is approaching, where the media will start sensationalizing the facts, and then the crackdown starts.

For an interesting read, find the book called "Weed," by Roberto Ayala. It talks about pot culture in Mexico in the '50s, and how it changed in the '60s as gringos ruined a good idea.

By Chevalier on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Got a kick out of the following excerpt from the Oklahoma Gazette article:

"Oklahoma City field agents at both the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the U.S. Customs Service were unaware of any absinthe imported into Oklahoma. In fact, neither agent had even heard of the drink.

'I just heard the term today,' said Mel Schneider, Oklahoma City port director for the customs service. 'I didn't even know what it was.'

Regardless, Schneider added that anyone caught bringing absinthe, or any other banned substance, into Oklahoma City would be treated as a smuggler, detained and have their imported absinthe destroyed."

By Artist on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 03:26 am: Edit

Well, Vera dearest, I will chime in...

(Figments of the imagination???)

Ya know, I have sat back and waited and waited and waited...(I was always raised to say what I was gonna do and do what I said...) So:

Per Don_walsh on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 01:05 am:

(snip, snip)

We are 30-60 days away from rollout of three labels. No more time than that.

So, really, where is it???

(I know, "Patience is a virtue", but some of us are already virtuous enough - if you can take a hint...*grin*)

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 10:08 pm: Edit

What's that?

By Mr_Carfax on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Hills, Sebor and Kermann better scurry
When Don and Ted bring Jade out in a hurry,
When Jade comes out in a hurry with the wax seal on top
Chlorophyllic joy, come see how it louches
Czech absinth is only fit for douches
Windex merchants have a coronary and their eyes will pop.
Jade Edouard, it tastes so good, like walking in the heather .
And Gorgon too, for the Goth in you, when there's a change in the weather.
With sugar cube and spoon I will be a-drinking, ain't no finer spirit I'm a-thinking,
You can keep your Segarra if you're thinking that I care to swap
For that Jade with the wax seal on top.

By Raschied on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:56 pm: Edit

The media hype is starting, oh boy, and in OKLAHOMA of all places! I keep waiting for GQ or Stuff or Maxim to pick up on it and do a big article. Oy.

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Oklahoma City Gazette, in case that freakin LOOOOONG URL won't get you there.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation