Absinthe Old Way?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Absinthe Old Way?
By Zman7 on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Sat down last night to give "Old Way" a real try. It is very green, but within the possibility of a naturally obtained green. Had a thick, green, louche. Definitely needed the sugar. Hints of mint, along with a faint (too faint)anise flavor and a. absinthium. I prefer it over Segarra, (lacks that annoying brandy/woody taste) but not as nice or complex as a good hausgemachte. My trusty Proof/Tralle meausures the alcohol as 55%.
All in all it was a nice tipple.

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

A friend of mine came by a little while ago with a bottle of Old Way.This shit is GREEN!!But it must be somewhat inconsistent or something because this stuff louched quite nicely.From neon green to a cloudy lime green.I could taste a little anise but not much.More of a mint taste.It is better with sugar than without,at least to my taste.The wormwood comes through a bit too.It ain't too bad.It does not remind me of Segarra or any other I have tried.I.e. Le bleue etc.I wish I could have gotten some some before it went away.I think it would have been worth it.

By Tlautrec on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Mine arrived today. The green is obscene, but otherwise, with a little doctoring, it ain't half bad. Unlike any of the other Spanish I've tried, it isn't sweetened, so the sugar ritual (for me at least) is necessary. Initial reaction (like others below): some kind of a cross between Segarra and NS. Secondary effects: yes! It has two problems, though: an insufficient amount of anise in the flavor and a weak louche. I remedied both of these problems easily with a few drop of (gasp!) essential oil of anise. This stuff is cheap: $4.00 for 10 ml at my local herb emporium here in the People's Republic of Berkeley. Don't knock it. It may be an adulteration, but it makes the Old Way quite tasty indeed. A few drops in the undiluted liquor, a firm stir with the handy-dandy absinthe spoon, followed by yummy French sugar cube slowly dripped into the glass using the trusty slow, slow faucet, et voila! A quite fine drink, better than N.S. and more complex than Segarra. Not La Bleue to be sure, and not as sophisticated as La Fee, but not at all bad, and until Jade arrives (or in the absence of good Haugemacht), we gotta drink something....

By Pablo on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 01:18 am: Edit

I just got my bottle in, and hearing the reviews am looking foreward to trying it. I think i may have to nurse it along. I was hoping to bring some to the fairy fest in NY.

By Giovannigray on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 12:30 am: Edit

A re-seller is born

By Pikkle on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 11:10 pm: Edit

I got two bottles on the way... how much you offerin??????????????

By Giovannigray on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Ah. Shoulda struck while the iron was hot...thanks, Crosby.

By Crosby on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:31 pm: Edit

It was a one time offering and has all been sold. They want to introduce a commercially available version in the future.

By Giovannigray on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Having read all the positive reviews of Old Way, I decided it was time to order some...but, it seems to have vanished from the SC website. I'll investigate (email to Cristina)..and report back. If anybody has more info, please share..

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:54 pm: Edit

I should try this "sun test" with a sample of my own brew just to see how much time it takes for the color to change...

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:01 pm: Edit

More thoughts on Old Way:

The sample I left in the sun yesterday is still in the sun this afternoon, and still the same Dawn of the Dead color as before.

I mixed yesterday's glass too strong. The mint backs off quite a bit if you water the absinthe sufficiently (minimum of 5 parts water, 1 part absinthe -- more water doesn't seem to hurt any) resulting in a pleasantly balanced drink.

If they're attempting a traditional finishing step and then enhancing things a little with the green dye, they need to stop doing that. It's a mark against this absinthe, which otherwise is at least at a par with Segarra, perhaps better; haven't made up my mind which I prefer.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 02:32 am: Edit

Justin,

The only "details" about the NY gathering are that it will be in NYC, and the date is the 29th of June.
All the incidental discussion can be found in the East, West, North, South Fairy Fest thread.

Nominally in charge (just like my life),
Louched Liver

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Mayhaps...someone drop me a line and let me know some details...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

It looks like Louched Liver is somewhat in charge... Will you be there ?

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Who exactly is organizing the event in NYC?

By Mvario on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:23 pm: Edit

My fledgling newbie view:

I got my Old Way, and also my first La bleue. Definitely tastes distilled to my uneducated palate. There's sort of milky taste (not really like milk, but I can't really describe it) that I also tase in the La Bleue, but heavier. I like it, thoug not as much as the Swiss, and not at much as Segarra, which (oh heresy!) is still my favorite. But my Wolvie's is yet to arrive ;-)

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Did someone tested the alcohol % of OldWay ?

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:59 pm: Edit

Well at first it looks cheap but the expenses never ends...

I already had an old presto that fits perfectly in a large pot so I had my water bath still almost done. I then had to buy copper tube, food grade plastic tube, hose clamp, rubber grommets, two cooking thermometers (one for the pot and one you will need for the coloration step). I bough an alcohometer and a test tube (which is in fact an ugly glass flower pot with just the perfect shape to fit my alcohometer. Then what ? Some large glass jar I use for the steep, tons of macon jars to store my herbs...

Then of course you will need to buy alcohol and herbs. You must be ready to waste at least 2-3 batch before being able to do it correctly. That's the cost of learning. Be carefull about your herb supply, there should be flower buds in your artemisia.

Then if you finally really look like someone who's not gonna quit and who's serious about making some good absinthe, then you will probably start getting interesting emails from all around the world from people willing to help. 75% of it you will need to throw away. You will get contradicting indications...blablabla...In the end, you will have to find out for yourself anyway. You see, I have wasted #1 and #4. #2 and #3 where drinkable, good but far from perfect. I have wasted my time on trying to redistill #4 and some tails to re-use the alcohol for another test batch. It's been only very usefull to make coloring experiments. Now maybe #5 will be good (And I already know I put too much of some spices...It will probably be very special, candied, maybe interesting but I would be surprise if this end up being a balanced absinthe...).

My plans for #6 : Simplicity. The begining of my quest for balance.

Each batch cost me a fortune in alcohol/herbs/TIME! ... The worst thing is time.

So, now what? I say do it if you like and if you finally get an interesting product, send me a sample and I may be willing to help some more and send you some of my brew to back up my recommendations. (You can also join us at the NYC GT).

Good luck!

The fine prints : Blablabla, don't do it it's against the law (yawn) blablabla it's dangerous...I'm a big fat liar who have never done anything stated in this post...blabla...

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Good call, Wolfgang.

Wolvie's absinthe verte, by comparison, is a very very pale green. Mine was a very pale "feuille morte" when it arrived, with sediment on the bottom. It tastes great; lemon balm and hyssop are definitely in there, as is something else, vaguely minty, that I suspect may be pontica. I'm not sure because I've never tasted that one, to my knowledge.

I suspect - don't take this for a negative review, since I love his absinthe - that Wolvie is using a very light hand on the coloring step. He could probably stand to use a little more of something and still get a good result.

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Just as an experiment, I mean. Personal use only! But I would want to do it right if I even touched it.

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:22 pm: Edit

As a life-long homebrewer and winemaker, I'm fascinated by distillation, but have never taken the step. How much does it cost to set up a cheap but safe system at home and follow your path wolfgang?

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Contrary to popular belief, it's not that hard to get a bright green natural coloration. If it taste so much of mint, it may be because they use (too much of ?) it for coloration.

It's easy to get the color but more difficult not to waste the taste in the process. Improving the taste while doing the coloration is an art.

Based on my newly aquiered practical knowledge about hausgematche, about half of the taste comes from the coloration step...30 sec. can make the difference between bad and good.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Forgive me if someone has pointed this out already: Old Way has a very heavy taste of mint, more so than any of the Spanish absinthes. The mint, anise and wormwood have a tenuous sort of balance, with the mint winning out in the end. I think I detect lemon balm, but if it's in there, it's down in the mix, as is the fennel.

The color is almost certainly artificial, but I'll offer a tiny amount to the Sun God in pursuit of greater knowledge.

It's definitely worth trying, if the finished product is as good as the trial run.

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:03 am: Edit

In a way, I hope my favorite will end up being Deva. Imagine the money I would save if my favorite only ran a few bucks a bottle!!!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

That's always a good idea to keep some low end products at hand to protect your best bottles and to offer a comparaison.

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:46 am: Edit

I'm ordering from wolvie too. I Really just want a wider knowledge of what's out there, and Deva does seem to be the "old stand-by" when comparisons are done. Plus, I have some friends that want to try absinthe and I would like to have a wide range of styles to choose from.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:40 am: Edit

Yeah, I've got some of Wolvies La Bleue on the way... but I'd still drink Deva, it's got it's own characteristics which I found palatable despite it's numerous flaws and for the price, you can't beat it... if you're just going out for a swim the first time, start at the shallow end of the pool.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:03 am: Edit

"It's a common favorite. "

...no, it's just the cheapest...

I would pay for a small topette in a bar if it was the only absinthe available but I only rate it as "drinkable". It as a very strong anis taste and it is too sweet.

Even if I didn't try Wolvies LaBleu yet, I think you should keep your money to buy this instead of some cheap Deva.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:04 am: Edit

No

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:55 am: Edit

I'm just going to cry if my SC order doesn't arrive soon. I've never even tried Deva yet, but I see so many postings about it. It's a common favorite.
Has anybody ever had a RESHIPPED order fail to come through?

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Only from a Brit...

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Segarra isn't bad, but personally I can't see what all the fuss is about it. I'd prefer Deva to Segarra. In the end no absinthe is beyond reproach and quality depends entirely on the individual's tastebuds.

By Brett on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Dammit all,

I just can't wait. My Old Way and N.S. should be here by Friday (assuming regular shipping time). But I want it now...I'm running low...out of Pernod, less than half a bottle of Ricard, less than a quarter bottle of Mari Mayans...dear Christ, that just leaves me with Hill's!! Well, I suppose the ouzo would go before that, but its just not the same!

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:46 am: Edit

Wolfgang,

I'll try to use restraint and set aside some Old Way for you to try in NY.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Got my Old Way just minutes ago. Reading the other reviews, I'd say the Greenimp's is right on the money as far as comparing to my taste experience. It tastes like a distilled absinthe, not a macerated product. Tried neat, it does have a lot N.S. like spiciness. This disappears when diluted. As far as any comparison in smell to Segarra, I find none. The coloration is a hoot, going from Scope to antifreeze on the louche. As the Imp said, it's like a simple LaBleue.

By Wolfgang on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

No I have not ordered it.

I would like to taste it if someone bring a bottle in NY but I don`t feal like spending so much for shipping anymore.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:51 am: Edit

Well, if all else fails people there's always Hills... burning sugar cube and all. WHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

By Heiko on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 04:07 am: Edit

Segarra is only made of wormwood, anise and a wooden barrel - that's why the barrel can be the only thing 'wrong' with it :-)

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

I love Segarra and am through with NS, I mean through. Segarra smells like a hillside of wormwood in bloom, something you ought to experience at least once if you like absinthe. NS tastes like cookies made with sticky old bottles of flavoring from the back of the closet. It's not bad, but it's wrong somehow.

Hopefully I'll try Old Way in a day or two.

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

heiko,

I actually like the woodsy taste/scent that serpis has a lot of and more of the other absinthes have.

The thing I hate is the butterscotch flavor. I don't know the herbs very well but does anyone know what they put in Segerra that makes it taste like that?

By Heiko on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 08:15 pm: Edit

btw. you can definitely get La Bleue that is not as good as Segarra - I had one that was not as "round" when compared to Segarra. If you hate the special flavors which are added to Segarra by the wooden barrel, then of course every La Bleue will be better...

By Heiko on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 08:11 pm: Edit

"When I opened it and smelled this absinthe I was worried b/c it had the same afterscent of Segerra...something almost like a butterscotch or older wood scent. I was like, "Shit, wasted my money again on an expensive bottle that's gonna taste like ass!"

You just found the taste of distilled wormwood - many good absinthes and Les Bleues smell like Segarra! However there is something more "woodsy" in Segarra that makes it not so nice when drunk neat, I admit.

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Segerra just does not taste good to me. Simple. Am I being tricked by the "candy" flavor of other abisnthes? Maybe....

But oh well...Segerra tastes like butterscotch gone bad to me....I don't like that taste. Hence, I don't like Segerra.

By Pikkle on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Segarra for a lack of a better (and cheaper) absinthe is good. IMHO, it beats the poopoo out of all the other Spanish offerings. Sure, I'll take La Bleue anyday but until I can get it like my hero DW, I'll stick to what I know (and can afford.) Then again, it's all a matter of taste...

(Why'd they substitute the Detroit Lions for the St. Louis Rams this year? I want my money back!!!)

By _Blackjack on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Segarra tastes like ass? I mean, opinions vary, and it's certainly not beyond reproach, but it is close enough to being a "basic" absinthe (i.e., anise and wormwood) that it's hard to imagine thinking it so awful and still liking absinthe at all.

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 02:56 pm: Edit

I got my bottle a few days ago and was able to taste Absinthe Old Way last night.

Remember that I HATE Segerra with a passion...

When I opened it and smelled this absinthe I was worried b/c it had the same afterscent of Segerra...something almost like a butterscotch or older wood scent. I was like, "Shit, wasted my money again on an expensive bottle that's gonna taste like ass!"

I drank a few glasses of it and with a glass of NS 55 in the middle. I would have to say that there really was not a lot of resemblance of Old Way to NS like some people are saying. If anything, I would say Old Way is much closer to Segerra but not nearly as bad. Segerra is very pungent and leaves a horrible aftertaste. Old Way seems much lighter and less intense but it is still very good.

Secondary Effects? Well, I would say it's stronger than the other spanish absinthes I have been used to drinking. This may be the fact that I did not have a very large dinner before starting to drink last night. Better than the other spanish absinthes but less than the la bleue.

Now that I think about it. Old Way tastes like someone took some Segerra and La Bleue and mixed them together. Maybe 1 part Segerra to 2 parts La Bleue.

Any opinions?

Conlusions: Good drink....glad I got it since it was a one time thing. If you like Segerra, you'll probably really like this drink. I still haven't been able to try Jade yet...so I have nothing to compare on that level.

Anyone else have the same comparisons?

By Crosby on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

"That's cuz yer smarter than everyone else!"

No, I'm not smarter than everyone else, merely those who attack another's opinion about a product they have yet to try.

Harry

By Thegreenimp on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 09:05 am: Edit

I don't taste any similarity to NS at all.
NS is far stronger on the anise to point of overwhelming eveything else.
As I said, I like it a bit better than Segarra,
it's not a bad product, again it's not in the same league with Ted & Don's creations, but then I didn't expect it to be.
It is better than the average Spanish Absinthe.
Your milage may vary.
Jay

By Heiko on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 07:38 am: Edit

Does it taste "distilled", or not?

If it smells like a mixture of NS/Versinthe, then it's certainly not distilled.

If it's similar to Segarra/La Bleue it smells totally different from the above description...

Wolfgang, Artemis, has one of you ordered a bottle?
I can always rely on your taste :-)

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 03:30 am: Edit

Anyway, I guess the common view is that it's not rubbish anyway. Look forawrd to receiving mine by about Wednesday.

Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hobgoblin

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 10:01 pm: Edit

That's cuz yer smarter than everyone else!

By Crosby on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I do realize that everyone tastes things a little differently and I'm certainly not saying "Old Way" is undrinkable. I just don't think it's towards the upper end like some folks do.

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Uh, maybe cuz everyone tastes everything a little differently... I'll have my opinion too when it arrives, shipped yesterday, should see it by next weekend...

By Crosby on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I'm glad the rest of you are enjoying this stuff. I can't understand the comparison to Segarra or La Bleue. It doesn't have the floral character of a La Bleue, this is more of a vegetable soup. Segarra is much more subtle, IMHO. I might just have a mental block brought on by the color. I just can't look at in the glass. Maybe I'll try drinking it out of a coffee cup.

By Zman7 on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Just got my bottle of Old Way in the post today. Electric HP Lovecraft (ie, ReAnimator)green color. Smells strongly of staranis/alcohol and A.absinthium, with a hint of something minty. If you were to blend NS70 and Versinthe, that is the type of odor you would get. Tasted neat, it is just as I described the smell. Tonight I'll try it properly mixed.

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Mr. Wong loves you too Wolfie...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 03:48 pm: Edit

What, an anti-erotic pencil necked dickless wonder like you?

I hardly think so.

Still, we do get a steady stream of your countrymen here. Probably not relatives though -- I get the feeling that the Kelvingtons only reproduce by accident.

By Timk on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

"The Kelvinator WILL get his skinny little butt disassembled and reassembled in funny ways the very first time he is foolish enough to EVER be in my presence."

Next time I feel the need to put on a dress and get my arse spanked by a leather clad paid mistress, ill let you know.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 03:00 am: Edit

SC does not sell that (ugh) product.

And apparently Old Way does not taste like Mata Hari, thank god.

It's (at this point) somewhere in the Segarra-La Bleue class spectrum. Remains to be seen what the stuff will be like in production, if it gets that far, Federico already said it will have to be tined down to meet EU standards.

By Themagicman on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 02:42 am: Edit

hay Ive been reading some of the post, and I just have to say hay just have some fun yes it would be nice to have some Absinthe "the old way" but its not going to happen anytime soon, if you want to spend your money thats great, enjoy let us know what you thing for the ones who cant. hell i saw this stuff about 2weaks ago and I thought it looked a little like Absinthe MATA HARI I think they might be going for that Moulin Rouge look so who knows.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 11:23 am: Edit

Well Sc has told me that my order has benn despatched today to arrive in 3-5 days time. I'm looking forward to tasting my 'Old Way'.

Hobgoblin

By Wolfgang on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

I like that ''Mr Wong picture'', each time I visit this thread I look at it and smile. I'm slowly becoming stupid...

How, I forgot, Destiny: ''en prime'' means ''as a bonus''.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 09:52 am: Edit

Oh, c'mon. I SAID the initial NEGATIVE review was probably insufficient to rely on.

By Verawench on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 09:08 am: Edit

Thanks for the reviews, guys. I can now order confidently under my "it's not worse than Deva" rule.

By Webfly on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 08:27 am: Edit

Is it authentic? No, probably not. But I think a lot of you are gonna like it. The guy who bought 2 bottles: I think you're gonna be glad you did. It initialiy smells rather sharply of alcohol/wormwood, blossoming to a nicely balanced anise/wormwood/herbal upon dilution, as does its taste. Somebody made fun of its cloud which is somewhat akin to that of Oxy, perhaps a bit deeper in color, and may in fact be its closest aspect to "authentic." I don't know, I only know what I've tried and what I like. In this vein (and since I am in no condition to get fancy), it is rather like a cross between La Fee and Larsand, so if you don't like these you may not like OW. Not "authentic" perhaps but not shabby either. I would venture to say it is at least a good cut or two above Segarra in quality although it tastes quite differently in my opinion.

"Old Pee, No way", etc: You guys (who admit to being my age btw)- why don't you try something first and then give your opinion. At least you'd have something empirical to back up your condescension.

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I'm currently trying a glass of Absinthe Old Way,
It's quite different, and I actually like this stuff. No overpowering anise, much better than the standard fare.
I like this a bit better than Segarra, I'm pleasantly surprised.
It reminds be of a La Bleue, simple, not as complex as Ted's creations, but pretty good in it's own right.
The color is rather shocking, but it has a nice translucent louche, no mega clouds of the usual star anise fog.
Overall pretty good.
Jay

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 03:03 pm: Edit

The Kelvinator wants to call me a pimp. The Kelvinator WILL get his skinny little butt disassembled and reassembled in funny ways the very first time he is foolish enough to EVER be in my presence. He will make an odd little marionette.

And he is still a coward, a half a fag, and a motherfucker.

By Destiny on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Wolfgang, is "en prime" like "au point"?

By Timk on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:18 am: Edit

"TimK the Kelvinator is obviously thirsty for another liter of Blue Label.

With or without the KY this time, you little half a queer coward motherfucker? Too lame even to show up for free Jade when Ted was in London, dishing it out.

Would you like it broken after insertion perhaps?

That will complicate retrieval."

OH for fucks sake, here we go again, why dont you just stop being such a wanker you pathetic pimp.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 08:50 am: Edit

Pablo, don't you remember ? You bough the distillery and got the distiller's daugter en prime !

By Artist on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 04:39 am: Edit

Pablo, FIFTY bottles...? No wonder they don't have any left...(*grin*)

By Pablo on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 04:26 am: Edit

Uh oh. I better check my credit card statement. I dont want a shipment of 50 bottles of "old way" showing up at my door (at least not without having tried it first).

By Artist on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 04:19 am: Edit

I checked and they said all their stock has been sold...

By Pablo on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 04:04 am: Edit

I noticed that SC no longer has any listing for "absinthe old way". Im now kind of glad I ordered a bottle if for no other reason than so I can say I tried. (At least I think ordered a bottle. Pretty hazy at the time. I might not have even turned on the computer, just talked to it.)

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Thirsty as a tree in the sun.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Wong says hello...
wong.jpg

As you can see, he was really thirsty too!

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Pikkle Puss,

Must you be so silly?

Hands on hips, lips pursed,
Mammy Livah

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

How's Mr. Wong doing?

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Pikkle, stop wasting Kallisti's bandwidth.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:14 pm: Edit

TimK the Kelvinator is obviously thirsty for another liter of Blue Label.

With or without the KY this time, you little half a queer coward motherfucker? Too lame even to show up for free Jade when Ted was in London, dishing it out.

Would you like it broken after insertion perhaps?

That will complicate retrieval.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

oops
DM.jpg

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Please meet the newest member of the Jade team, director of PR, Dirty Monkey...
DM.jpg

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 04:50 pm: Edit

oh, Dirty Monkey handles all the PR... where have you been?

By Timk on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 04:48 pm: Edit

"And I am not in the PR business...brother. Never have been, never would be. PR is for dickless wonder pencilnecks from Madison Avenue. (Present company excepted of course. And that isn't aimed at you, either. Brother.)"

*Cough... and who handles PR for JadeL?

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 09:54 am: Edit

Don,

No Herring was not one of my favourites, but something light and uncomplicated is nice now and then. I'm not too upset though, although I would be if Deva or Serpis became non-entities.

Hobgoblin

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Sorry, P., I've been preoccupied with some off-forum (but sadly forum related) stress, and thus not paying full attention before. Now, I remember you. How's it hanging?

And I never would have dished out all the attitude had I placed you earlier.

Let me buy you a glass of cyber LB. Or would you prefer a cyber Jade? Got a hip flask of pre-release cyber Edouard right here...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:12 pm: Edit

all about pickling man, removing those oxides, side trimming then off for cold reduction... all sorts of low carbon, hsla's, plaanja, bake hardenable and more... we make the steel that makes the cars...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Cold rolled flat carbon steel. OK. Like 1000 series, 1018 maybe? Just annealed, probably, maybe stress relieved? Stuff machines easy but won't heat treat worth a damn, have to carburize it or case harden, maybe nitride?

Now I remember, your handle has nothing to do with a kosher dill, it's a pickling bath, to take oxides off the surface...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

No sheet metal brother, carbon flat rolled only... suppose you could corrugate it if you wish, too bad our galvanizer just burned down... "Rouge Steel: and integrated steel maker being dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century."

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:57 pm: Edit

The book would have to be sold as a package with a remedial reading course. (No, not for you, Pikkle.)

S'how's the sheet metal business? Still cranking them out down at the old mill?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Kind of like when all the Furbies and the Playstations 2's were selling for five times their retail value on eBay... some folk can get em for what their worth and some folk pay what they can get them for... just gotta be at the right place at the right time. Perhaps Mr. Walsh could make a mint publishing a volume called "Buying Swiss La Bleue for Dummies." Who'd have thunk...

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I'd really like to tell you what I heard from someone in Switzerland: what he thought about others selling his Bleue for 200$ on the web (and even more with what facial expression he described his speechlessness when he thought that somebody would PAY that much).

...but, I don't go into details because that might raise armageddon (not really, but it would probably cause a lot of "you don't know this" "you don't know that" "you don't know shit" and so on...)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Oh, ole Donny boy is just too easy... feels like I never left this board.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Have some opium tea, both of you.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Did you just say that?

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:40 pm: Edit

What did you say???

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:40 pm: Edit

None of this is in any way substantial or worthwhile.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Well yeah.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:38 pm: Edit

the cyber shit and the cyber fan that is...

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Duck the shit, it's heading for the fan.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Aw look, his big round cyber face is getting all cyber red...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Oh it's nobody...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

I don't come to this cyber punker stripper gogobar bar here to 'sell' a damned thing. You want to fuck with me while I am sipping my cyber suds, you will get a wiseass remark back in your face. 'Potential' customers not excepted.

'To thine own self be true'

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Sometimes I think Don is more frustrated with Jade's market non-existence than any of us..

"I stand at the window and I look at the sea.."

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I think the only game I see being played here is the "Where's Jade?" game. Interesting...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:30 pm: Edit

"Bandying with fools" yes Don. The old grey matter is gumming up. I did forget.

I keep thinking that everyone feels the same love I have in my own heart. Shit, I got so much love to spread over the world I could blot out the sun in three continents.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Besides, we don't sell anything at INFLATED prices. We sell exceptional things at eminently reasonable prices -- as you will all soon see.

Most especially as SC has just moved what used to be the old bottom end up several notches.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Mr. Walsh, please don't insult be by hiding behind your pretentions... you're far from innocent.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

"You seem to think I am someone who gives a shit, Head? Wherever did you come by such a bizarre notion?"

Um... I think he was just pointing out a simple past vs. present situation..

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Unfortunately we're all not afforded the leisure of spending our time in pursuit of $30 bottles of bootleg absinthe like Mr. Walsh... some of us work for a living, quite hard I might add and sometimes the end result is our having the aforementioned $200 to spend on what would otherwise be an unobtainable commodity. Perhaps one would merely be thankful that there are those who are continuously in pursuit of that which is a better product and will pay to get such a product... or perhaps it's better to just insult a potential customer, who knows? Maybe Don does...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

You seem to think I am someone who gives a shit, Head? Wherever did you come by such a bizarre notion? Thought you knew me better than that.

I don't suffer fools gladly.

Someone who is so prickly as to think I am insulting them when I am NOT, well, he's an emotional punching bag, nothing I can do to change that.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Not really. The generals play a pretty shitty eighteen holes. Once they hit the back nine I am usually off to the 19th for a beer, because I can't keep a straight face any longer.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Shooing away a customer that will pay inflated prices isn't very sound.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:20 pm: Edit

If you think I need to remember forum exchanges from long ago with one such as yourself, then, let me assure you, anything to do with you, sir, is eminently forgettable. Thanks be to God.

However much you care to pay for a $30 bottle of Swiss bootleg is your business. Have a nice life.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:19 pm: Edit

"I insinuate your action would be considered dumb and you carry through with the action, therefore I've insulted you... sounds like an advisement against action to me!"

More like an advisement to think before buying
(and as I always think twice before buying, the advice had been unnecessary in my case)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:15 pm: Edit

No Mr. Walsh, we've had this conversation before, if my archived memory serves me correctly and I made the choice to proceed with such a transaction in lieu of the suggestion you made to the effect that it was foolish to purchase from this person and that I seek out someone in Switzerland who would sell to me for significantly less in quantity to which I replied I had neither the time nor the resources and that I was comfortable with my decision to carry forth with my purchase from said "Desert Leech." Therefore you did in fact attempt to dissuade myself and others from this particular vedor at that time. Satisfied? Try ginko biloba in the future...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:15 pm: Edit

And to think...

these two used to be buddies a long time ago...

I even remember Don inviting Pikkle out to Thailand to play golf with the Generals.

Those were the salad days.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Don, why are you so curious?

We all have our private "resources".

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:10 pm: Edit

We can make this a multiple choice question.

How many LB sellers, foreign and domestic, are there? A very finite number.

You have already eliminated the estimable Wolvie.

Perhaps you mean Mother Betina, aka (per the esteemed Dr.Chong) the Desert Leech? Purveyor of divine grace and holy waters? Are you sure your Discover card limit is high enough?

It has been quite a while since I have actually advised anyone not to buy from her. Are you rummaging in the archives? Ted told me to stop telling people not to buy from Mother B. But I reserve the right to poke a little fun her way, satirically speaking, whenever she graces this place under a fake handle to say nice things about herself, or to make dire predictions about customs siezures that just really don't happen often enough to care about.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

I insinuate your action would be considered dumb and you carry through with the action, therefore I've insulted you... sounds like an advisement against action to me!

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

"Well people were advised not to order La Bleue from certain parties and to me, it was worth every penny... it's what you're willing to spend I suppose"

I think you're talking about Betty, not Wolvie, right?

I don't think anyone advised people not to buy from her - people were reminded that it might be considered really dumb to spend 200$+ for a bottle of La Bleue. And that, I knew even before Don told me...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Nice spin control... brother.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:02 pm: Edit

You want to go around assuming that insults not meant for you, were in fact aimed at you, then you are going to have a tough life.

And I am not in the PR business...brother. Never have been, never would be. PR is for dickless wonder pencilnecks from Madison Avenue. (Present company excepted of course. And that isn't aimed at you, either. Brother.)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:58 pm: Edit

No, you made reference to an unnamed person or person which you indirectly grouped me with... and if you'd have bothered to have a memory, you'd have known just who I was talking about. Great PR brother, keep it up!

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:54 pm: Edit

If you would have bothered to read the post, you might have noticed I was not referring to you as an asshole, Pikkle, but to some other unnamed assholes who to the best of my knowledge have nothing to do with you.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Asshole? I at least rate a whole ass... and for that I shall not dignify you with an answer. Good day to you sir.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Why, so all and sundry can know whether he is a teller of truth or just another smarmy liar like a few others I can think of.

Or is it in Pikkle's interests to leave the forum dangling as to his personal veracity and honor?

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Why should he tell you?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Don't play games, oh named for a kosher dill.

Spell out what the fuck you are talking about. If you weren't talking about Wolvie, who were you talking about my warning people against buying LB from?

Hmmm? Come on, I have had enough innuendo and insinuation from ASSHOLES associated with this forum in the last week to last a lifetime. Soeak plainly and en clair, or don't speak at all.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Who said anything about "Wolvie?"

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I never advised anyone not to order LB from Wolvie. I advised people to wait till a few other people got their deliveries first -- and that caution, only after a number of people posted about experiencing inexplicable delays AND having problems email Wolvie.

Get it?

It's a case of "Fools rush in" that's all.

In Wolvie's instance, things worked out well for the hasty.

For the label-less and pricey (esp with new shipping rates) Old Way, the jury is still sequestered, and we are awaiting the verdict.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Well people were advised not to order La Bleue from certain parties and to me, it was worth every penny... it's what you're willing to spend I suppose (and no, I'm not interested in any swamp land in Florida thank you!) and what you're willing to experiment with... hell, I'll drink just about anything at least once...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Lord H, I am not 'bitterly opposed' to Old Way. I merely was skeptical and advised people as you may recall, that perhaps being the first to order and try this, might not be the best use of their funds.

In the event it seems that I was right; I am awaiting further reviews before I indulge myself in a hearty Attaboy and give those who failed to heed my caution an I Told Ya So.

Good news, though, about the Herring. Or was that one of your fav's, too?

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:24 am: Edit

Haven't received mine yaet beacause they tell me Herrings is no more and they wanted to know what I wanted then to send in its place before they can despatch my order.

Don, why are you so bitterly against Old Way absinthe? Surely you're in no position to knock it until you've tried it?

Hobgoblin

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:48 am: Edit

"Besides, some people in this forum so Segarra is nothing special."

But it's one of the only distilled commercial products. That's why I said the Old Way should be AT LEAST as good as Segarra.

If the Old Way is not at least a genuine distilled product, it's not worth it's price.

By Brett on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:16 am: Edit

Unfortunately, I've never tried Segarra so I can't make that comparison.

Besides, some people in this forum so Segarra is nothing special.

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:15 am: Edit

It's not as weak tasting as I thought. With sugar it's not bad. Herbal, star anis (not as heavy as most Spanish brews) with a bitter finish. I've been drinking Wolvie's Verte for the last week, so I'm a little spoiled. It's better than some Spanish but not great. The color is unsettling. I'd rather not look at it.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:06 am: Edit

"And Don, were you right if only a few people don't like it or if a few people do like it?"

Don was right if Old Way is not at least as good as Segarra or even a little better (that means it must be a real, distilled absinthe).
That was what was promised - something distilled, so it should be approximately like good La Bleue.
If it's just as good as any other Spanish (like NS or such), it's definitely not worth the very high price!

I rather have some really good drinks and ordered some 2 liters of Pontarlier Ponsec and 1 liter of their absinthe - from these I know they're quite good and not too expensive (at least the Ponsec)

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:52 am: Edit

My re-distilled tails are probably better than this...

Old Way

By Brett on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:09 am: Edit

To be honest, I'm not too set-off by this. This is just one person's experience, and they've only had it once. Taste is an individual thing, and if I can stomach Hill's and Olde English 800, I don't think this will be much a problem.

Besides, I need a basis of comparison anyway. Mari Mayans and Hill's are too different for a real comparison; they're hardly the same thing.

And Don, were you right if only a few people don't like it or if a few people do like it?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:10 am: Edit

Absinthe Old Pee

Absinthe Ole Lay

Absynthe-tique

By Marccampbell on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:27 am: Edit

Here's a few alternate names

Absinthe The Wrong Way

Absinthe? No Way.

Absinthe Oy Vey!

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:42 am: Edit

Probably still too soon for me to let go with a "Told ya so!"

Let's wait a little longer before I can cluck and smirk derisively.

The good news is, if it is shite, you can probably come up with some pithy suggestions for the brand name to send to Federico...

"Never Again"
"Stop, Go Back"
"Open in Case of Prohibition"
"Mule Linement"
"Tick Remover"
"Arrrghhhh!"
"Re-Animator"
"Spit it Out"
"No No Senor"
"Dr Federico's Magic Bullet"

By Artist on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Uh-oh...maybe big trouble in little city...
(And I could have had a bottle of Segarra...)

Patience...

By Crosby on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

The color of this stuff makes Mari Mayans look like a naturally colored product. It has a weak louche That looks like someone poured a little milk into lime flavored Gatorade.
The little I tasted neat had a bit of a metallic taste, maybe it's just me. It's not as sweet as the typical Spanish. I've only tried one glass of it so far, with no sugar and a 1:4 ratio, the flavor seemed rather weak to me. I think further sampling is required this evening.

H

By Pikkle on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I recieved my previously damaged order today, probably less than ten days after it was re-upped... I ordered the new stuff a few days later so it should be here this week... and you will all be jealous!!! Whoohahahahahaha!!!

By Crosby on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 04:51 pm: Edit

I received mine today, ordered on 1-21-02, in California. Quickest ship time I've ever had. I have not had a chance to try it yet though, hopefully tonight.

Harry

By Kite on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:36 am: Edit

Hrmm, has anyone recieved their bottles yet?

Curious,
Kite

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:15 am: Edit

I never said it was complex, I stated it was too complex for Hobby's hobbled British tastes... it's all relative thank you very much.

By Joalco on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:12 am: Edit

Hob,

I agree whole-heartedly re:taste and preference. My point was mainly that we are fortunate enough to be here at a time when many different absinthes are more or less readily available, and many of our peers are undertaking experiments of their own. So, as a general rule, most of us who are serious to some degree or another are much more informed than, say, two years back or so, when Mari Mayans had a fairly loyal following (myself included in those numbers).

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:12 am: Edit

Pikkle, you'r "trolling" him now :-)

And Segarra is not complex at all. Good but not complex.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:19 am: Edit

And about Segarra... what it is is that it's far too complex for the British palate. You guys prefer bland and unexciting when it comes to your comestables and it goes the same for your swill. It's not your fault, you live on that big island isolated from everyone else, breeding for centuries amongst each other and it's obvious that any sense of taste has evolved out of you. It's not a bad thing by any means... if we didn't have boring, how would we know what exciting is? Keep up the good work, ; )

pikkle is evil!

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:14 am: Edit

Hobby... I'll admit, I cheated but I couldn't resist... I'll let you do your own research.

http://hermes.lincolnu.edu/~focal/scripts/mallacht.htm

You can torture the English in your own devious ways now!

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:10 am: Edit

Pikkle,

Despite being an Irishman myself you'll have to translate that one for me. I gave up Irish classes in school at 14 (because the Irish teacher used bash kids heads off a brick wall if they weren't paying attention). My knowledge of Irish extends to only to Cead Mile Failte, Slainte and Tiochfaidh ar la and a few other common expressions that I can say but have forgotten how to spell (hello, how are you, my name is, I live in, my age is) and that is it.

As for Margaret Thatcher the majority of the British Conservative Party (a party whose average age of member is in the mid-60's) still think she walks on water. And then they wonder why people the public in general think the Conservative Party is out of touch with ordinary people and hardly anyone votes for them anymore.

Anyway I have a good feeling about this 'Old Way' stuff, I don't know why but I just have.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:59 am: Edit

Joalco,

While there is certainly a lot of absinthe knowledge on this forum, knowledge and taste preferences are not the same thing.

Nothing can be deemed as inherently tasting bad or good, it can only be deemed as tasting bad or good to the particular individual who has tasted it. Therefore the only way you can know and have an informed opinion on the taste of a product is to taste it for yourself.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:54 am: Edit

Wolf,

I am in no position to approve anyone as a 'swill-basher'. This would go against what I believe.

Anyone who has tasted Hills or any other brand is in a position to say what their taste-buds thought of it, but it's only their opinion, it's not a fact. Anyone who hasn't tasted Hills or any other brand is in absolutely no position to comment. Anyway everybody here knows what position he/she is in and its up to their own honesty and self-respect and to run with the herd just because it is the accepted thing to do is the sign of a weakling.

On Segarra Wolfie, no I wouldn't turn down a glass. But I'd much rather have a glass of Deva, Sebor or Serpis any day. Segarra is ok, but it is in my opinion a mediocre absinthe.

Hobgoblin

By Artist on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:38 am: Edit

LH,

Never was big fan of Pink Floyd...been told some of my pictures remind people of parts of "The Wall" (can't say for sure, never having seen it myself...) Like Yes and ELP better.

And I don't fantasize about Oscar and Vincent...(*grin*)

artist...(who missed something...)

By Brett on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Well, I ordered a bottle of NS 70 and Absinthe Old Way. I'll let everyone know what I think of each when I receive it. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying Old Way. Hell, it can't be worse than Hill's.

By Joalco on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Hob,

Up until this previous summer, I'd never tried Hill's, I just accepted the common knowledge that it was swill. However, being in Prague this summer afforded me the opportunity to try a single dose (rather than wasting money on a bottle), which, of course, proved the folklore to be true.

Hills is Swill...

Our general population seems to be more and more knowledgeable. As is evidenced by my busy cribbing of notes toward a soon-to-be-realized hausgemacht experiment...

jc

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 04:03 pm: Edit

and #9, the last from françois guy...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Well... just in case, i bought two bottles. If it turns out to be dirt, all are free to laugh at will, I have no shame anyway. If it's something worthwhile though, MINE ALL MINE, I WIN, I WINNNNNNN!!!
And Hobby... I was making no allusions to Mr. Blair in the least... no, I was referring to the one the only, the Iron Maiden. Now there's a dame everyone can feel good about kicking around.

Go n-aora na gráinneoga cealgrúnacha do chuid calóga arbhair!

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

It makes me wonder if this is the final run of the "Oliva" absinthe I have heard from various and sundry people concerning...

By Tavarua on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Just for public knowledge, I have heard from a good source, that the label-less bottles of the "Old Way" are going to be superior than the labeled bottles, which will soon be out. The version that is at SC is not going to be their commercial product and will be more "diluted".

Finally, a marketing scheme that actually benefits absinthe, for a little while anyway.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:42 pm: Edit

If these products (Czech) didn't have "absinth" printed on the label, who would buy them? Nobody. After all, I don't see people raving about Stock Fernet or other Czech liquors.

The bottom line is that one could bottle urine, print "absinth" on the label, and someone is going to buy it....."for its bitter taste that will no doubt please the experts".

These people are in business to make a profit, nothing more, nothing less. Caveat emptor.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit

I have tasted Hill's (I even had three glasses of it because we had no other drinks around - you see, if it's the only alcohol around, I will drink it!) and I found it to taste like alcoholic mouthwash.

Before I could say a word about it, some friends also tried theirs. All of these people don't know anything about absinthe, they never heard of this forum, they are definitely not even newbies. The first comment I heard was "uuh, that tastes like mouthwash!" then everyone agreed "ahh, that's it, I knew this taste was familiar!".

I had not mentioned the word 'mouthwash' before, it was a totally unbiased reaction.

It's drinkable (we did drink it), but nobody thought of buying it again (even the person who had bought it had only paid some 15 Euro or so in Czechia)

Has anyone ever said they liked Starop? I never heard anybody say this, and I wouldn't really believe it if someone did...

Of course there's absinthe that's debatable. I say Herring or Montana might be good here and there, you (Hobgoblin) love Serpis (and sometimes I understand it, sometimes not, that's the weird truth about Serpis&me), I like Deva, some hate it. I say La Fee is excellent, some say it's like Deva...

I think if a bunch of people say one absinthe is good, there's a chance that you might like it. If only one person says it's good, it's still a reason to try it. But if nobody says it's good, there's not much of a chance that it's worth it (unless you are a crazy absinthe fiend like we are - then you need to have tasted every swill just for the knowledge)

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Don't worry Hob, I'm painfully doing my czech homeworks (I will pickup my bottle of Sebor in about 2 hours). After that I will have obtained different bottles of Sebor from two sources and tasted that horrible Staroplzensky. I would also add to my pantheon of swills the infamous Japanese Hermes and some excellent detergents like Herring and Montana.

The big question is how many bottles of pseudo-piss should someone taste to become a legetimate, Hob-approved, official forum swill basher ?

Pleeeaaase give me my official badge so I could at least warn newbees about the potential waste of cash they are maybe about to make. Let's not forget that some people are not gonna spend thousands of dollards like us on absinthe, they just want to try a bottle or two so they better avoid some very risky brand and buy sure values like, say, Segarra.

By the way, honnestly, is there someone here who would say "no thanks" to a glass of Segarra ? I bet 90% of us like it (or at least do not hate it).

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 11:50 am: Edit

hills? baaaaaaaaaaaaa! (insert sheep here)

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 10:59 am: Edit

I really don't go along with this forum 'consensus' thing at all.

All it takes is for a few people who are 'well respected' here (I aim this at nobody in particular, I'm making a hypothetical point) to say (quite genuinely) that X brand is better much better than Y brand, that Z brand is swill, that V brand is the dog's bollocks etc. etc. (In the end this is no more than the honest opinion of their own personal taste-buds) Then what can happen is that you get those poor souls who mimick and agree with them passing comment on these brands even though they probably haven't even tasted the brands, and those others who think "I'd better agree or else I'll look foolish and anyway it seems that their view is the view of the 'clever' people (and I want to appear to be one of the 'clever' people)". These people then become part of the consensus. Thus you can get a false consensus building up.

For example it appears the whole forum says Hills is swill. Has the whole forum tasted it or do people just go along with the current 'accepted' view? Have newcomers been advised not to buy Hills by people who have never even tasted it?

The ONLY way you can hold a true opinion on the quality of a product is to taste it yourself, otherwise you are in no position whatsoever to pass judgement in any way. (To hear someone else's opinion on this and then agree with it without tasting for yourself is the action of a sheep).

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 10:41 am: Edit

Pikkle,

Leave Tony Blair out of it!

Are all Americans as 'mentally challenged' as George Bush junior?

By Pikkle on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Hobby can't help it... he's British (home of the dentally challenged!)

By Wolfgang on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 12:01 pm: Edit

It does make me curious but I will wait until someone who have similar taste as mine share his review. I already feel stupid enough for having sent a fortune for a 500ml bottle of Sebor.

Lordhob have strange tastes but he is right about forging your own opinion.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 11:41 am: Edit

Don,

Sure I agree with a lot of what you say, but what you say (with the exception of your references to Hills and Jade) is very general and unspecific.

Yes I have tasted 3 of your Jade products, two of which I thought were indeed excellent (especially Edouard) and the 3rd I didn't like at all (so on this 3rd one your statement does not hold true in my case). You would have a very different opinion from me on the one I didn't like. Am I wrong and you right? Are you wrong and I right? No, we are both right. We have different taste preferences.

My favourite absinthe is Serpis, many here hate it. I think Sebor is better than all Spanish absinthes except Serpis. I rate Deva better than Segarra (the general concensus here says otherwise).

Apart from very broad generalisations my tastebuds are not in line with what the 'general view' here says and I am sure I am not unusual in this regard . If someone hasn't tasted an absinthe then he/she is not entitled to voice an opinion on it's quality and taste. You cannot rely on other people's taste-bud to decide for you.

So what the hell, I'm trying this unlabelled stuff from SC. It might be rubbish, it might be mediocre or it might be fantastic, either way at least I'll know for myself.

Brett I'll let you know what my taste buds say when it arrives but don't listen to what I say you MUST try it for yourself if you want to hold an opinion on it.

Hobgoblin

By Petermarc on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 06:25 am: Edit

i agree, wolfgang, it is beee-zare...but it just gotta make ya curious...you are better off with loupsinthe, i'm sure...

By Wolfgang on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 06:12 am: Edit

It is perfectly possible to get this color naturally. It's also perfectly possible that this brew taste horrible.

What bugs me is :
"We know a very small destiller " ... "The distiller made also a thujone test". Do you think a very small distiller would have gone through the trouble and expenses of testing it ?

I will stick with "La Wolf" and refrain from being my usual guinea pig.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Who cares people... it's something new and if it's no good it's a wash, it won't sell and you don't have to drink it; if it's good then we've come across another gem, so be it either way, no use debating until someone has tasted it and obviously there are enough volunteers here to assure that happens... there will be full reports at that time... speculate all you want until then, I will know. Ciao.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 07:15 pm: Edit

I made that last post before I looked at the picture. It's way too radioactive-looking, which makes me think it's either dyed, or, if naturally colored, colored with a VERY heavy hand in the coloration step(s) which means a very intense flavor. That's not necessarily a bad thing; it's a matter of taste. But it's also true that colors on a computer screen can fool you.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

My first thought was that "ecological" in this context probably means "organic". But maybe Artemis is correct. Either way, it sounds good to me. It's not that expensive a gamble, even if it turns out to be merely "interesting."

By Brett on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I don't know about anyone else, but from the image I get on SC's website, Old Way absolutely does not look like the stuff in that bottle of Hill's sitting on my shelf. The Hill's is a pale blue color, ligher even than Windex -Old Way is most assuredly green.

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 04:51 pm: Edit

We can't go by the picture on the site. Those of you who have worked with scanners and color values know what I mean- you just can't trust colors on the web.

As far as thujone content goes, we are not SCs entire customer base. Some of that base probably does care, and so in the interest of selling the stuff, they may well mention it.

Until one of us at least knocks a glass back, all our words carry less meaning than a good fart.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Thujone nonsense aside, I'm curious about it. Federico's comment about "ecological plants" (English is not his first language, after all) could be taken to mean that it uses actual plants instead of oils, so that's one thing in its favor.

Also, if it was made to a 50's Spanish recipe, it may fill in a gap in absinthe knowledge, one about which there has been quite a bit of discussion here: Spanish products after the French ban that eventually died out in Spain.

With the amount of money people are spending on "La Bleue", this might be a bargain.

By Heiko on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Sorry to interrupt your chat, but back to the "old way" again:

I don't care how much thujone is in Old Way, but the producer tells us that the thujone content is way above the EU limit. Firstly I do not believe him, secondly, whoever must advertise with thujone content usually wants to remain silent about other qualities of his product. Has Segarra ever advertised thujone content? Has any La Bleue PRODUCER (not reseller) or Ted or Don ever advertised their absinthe through thujone content?

Then, Old Way is rather expensive for a drink that looks almost like Hill's - I would have ordered a bottle for a price up to maybe 20 Euro. 35 EUR just seems too much for a Hill's colored, thujone advertising absinthe.
Of course I'm interested in how it is, but I'm sure somebody will give it a try and post his experiences (and if really nobody does, I might do it myself at some point, but not now).

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Pikkle popper,
Get my e-mail from Head. Drop a line.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Shit Pikkle,
Wish we woulda hooked up when I visited the Head. I may have to take a long wkend and get back up in the Great Lakes State. A trip to Mackinac would be cool.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

I had an uncle that worked on that bridge... late forties early fifties... there is an excellant documentary on it in fact, most of the footage was shot in color too... if you're into history or bridges or places up high, it's fantastic... never did see the uncle in any clips though... have to watch is again... well, I'm off for Italian food and perhaps some nooky so I'll chat at you later... let me know when you've got yer Harley warmed up and ready for I-75! Ciao.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:13 pm: Edit

I was there as a lad only. Would have been a lifetime ago. My father was a point to point travel freak, and I don't recall time budgeted for actually stopping and eating anything on the Island. He was pissed the horse wouldn't go any faster.
I actually watched that crappy Christopher Reeves, Mary Steenburgen, time travel movie to see the Grand Hotel. It was nice to see the Mackinaw Bridge in the background, even though the premise of the movie took place in the Victorian age.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Reba's fudge, Mackinac Island... world famous if your world happens to be the tip of the glove...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I'm like Proust-I can ramble on for volumes and volumes once you zap my grey matter about any ol' thing.
Reba's? Got me on that one pal. Do tell.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:05 pm: Edit

don't think there's too much absinthe flowin north of 45º though so we'll have to bring our own...

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:04 pm: Edit

git yerself a scoot and we'll go baby...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:02 pm: Edit

My spinster great aunts had a "cottage" in Petoskey. 2 stories, claw foot tub. Acme, Gaylord-Call of the Wild-shitty tourist trap. Fred
Bear Museum. We need to do a road trip dude.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Sorry brother... I'm still living them, everyday, like a Dostoevsky novel... and you can too now, vicariously through me! Let's give up for Reba's!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Ah, yes!-fudgies. Mackinaw Island. Clip-clop, clip-clop. Horses w/diapers. Pikkle, like the Head, you cause the memories to flow!

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I spent a substantial amount of time in Gaylod, half my family lived there... had an aunt and uncle in Acme and various and sundry half-cousin types roaming the back woods of Alpena, Petoskey, Charlevoix, etc... I'm all up north man, all up north! Call of the Wild baby!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Me mum is from up Traverse City way, Alden, on Torch Lake. Actually had a narrow gauge railroad running through the back of the yard, by the lake when I was a tot. Like Hooterville/Petticoat Junction. Mancelona, Bellaire, Clam River. Ah, the memories!

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Oh buddy... Tip Up Town... the Mardi Gras of the north! You cannot beat it for snowmobile suit clad women and their whiskeyed up husbands... it's happening next weekend I believe... I'll be in Myrtle Beach unfortunately and will miss this event but to all who hear me now, go, snowmobile or not, you're all but guarenteed to hook-up with some of Michigan's finest double wide maidens! Come one, come all, fudgies ahoy!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:50 pm: Edit

And the miracle that is Tipup Town. Never stopped to enjoy, but drove past and marveled at the town on ice.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Ah yes, Roman candles and M-80s on the fishy shores of Lake Otsego in early July... gawd I miss the days of the pontoon parade and the best knees contest! Bless up north, bless it now!!!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:41 pm: Edit

True that. It is lot more winteriffic in da Midden. Folks here think it is like living in Anchorage there. Maybe in the UP. But I act like it was 10 degrees in May with a foot of snow to plow to shoot off your Ohio bought fireworks on the 4th when I talk about living in Lansing. It makes them happy to have their preconceived notions borne out.

Bursting no bubbles,
Lower P L

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:34 pm: Edit

oh yeah... I always like to say Detroit is in the thumb pit of the glove too... pretty damn close if you look at it. You can never get lost in Michigan, at least not in the L.P. It's cool to live here, just too damn cool!!!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I like how Michigan folks say "up north".
And you can point to your hand to show where you live in the Lower Penninsula.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

P,
How about some fresh pasties from up north?

Former Mittenman,
LL

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:26 pm: Edit

I pray for whirrled peas my brother!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Senor Peekle,
Peas in that pot pie?

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Pikkleman,
I was always suprised that Coleman Young was allowed to have his way with Detroit as long as he did. I had the honor of taking him breakfast at a local hotel back in the day when I was a bellman. He had one room w/just 1/2 bottle of Jack Daniel's, and he was in the other lookin' tore up with his 'fro squished off to one side.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Duplicitous bastard! Now go to your room and make me a turkey pot pie!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Whoops,
What the hell? That post wasn't there a minute ago! Sorry about the duplicity.

Head hanging in shame,
LL

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Hey, LL... at least you got to try it... I have no clue! Perhaps I should give my uninformed off the cuff opinions about it like so many here seem to do... I'm a bit more responsible than that fortunately. I'll stick to my boulders and Spanish swill for now...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Pikkle,
I took my wife on a tour of downtown Day Twah when we lived in AA. She still gets freaky at the memory of it. You have to like a city that still has buildings boarded up from the riots 25 years ago. And who doesn't love Devil's Night? Though I hear it has toned down recently.

Don,
I could use a reup to revive my memeories of how lovely your E.P. and N.O. are.

Beseechinly,
LL

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:07 pm: Edit

It's pretty funny actually, Detroit is trying to garner this new image with these casinos and right across the street from the MGM Grand is a whole row housing project burned out and boarded up... Give a lot of credit to a population that keeps electing these morons to office... they've got a 31 year old running the city now, i can't wait. Maybe they can legalize all the craps games in the streets now too...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Don,
I'm with Pikkle on this. I could use a reup to refresh my memeory of how good E.P. and N.O. were.

Beseechingly,
LL

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Pikklo player,
You have to admire a city like Day Twah that still has burned out buildings from the riots 25 years ago. I took my wife on a cruise through the backwaters of downtown when we lived in AA, and she still gets freaked when I mention it.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Hey Don... I think you guys need to do more research, I don't think enough people have sampled you product... you need new test subjects!!! I am here brother, I am here!!!!

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:58 pm: Edit

And subsequent trips should leave you with that same empty feeling... Ypsi is to Ann Arbor what Oakland is to San Fran... Next time you come, go to the big city... there's no shortage of five dollar blow jobs in Detroit either, meet you down on Michigan and Lonyo, bring your glass dick!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Pikkle,
My 1st trip to Ypsi left me less than inspired. And you are a fellow pipehead! How nice.

Heiko,
I happen to find your reviews follow my experiences to get back on thread somewhat. I agree w/you on the hype of Old Way, but, I'd like to give it a shot just the same. Placed my order about 1/2 hour ago.

One chatty bastard,
LL

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Guys, I'd be the last person to tell you not to buy and drink anything else while ALL OF US are being obliged to wait for the rollout of Jade.

We are battling bankers, bureaucrats, bozos, bottlemakers, booze monopolies, and boredom in the meantime, and finding allies in the strangest places. We WILL prevail, the Jade MUST flow!! (with apologies to Frank Herbert).

I'm just amazed at the attention that an unlabelled unknown 'teaser' from SC is getting, and at a price > Segarra, too.

Anyway I personally wish you all luck with your purchases, and look forward to hearing the reviews.

PS I agree about Segarra vs La Fee, that was just a generalization, and those by their nature are subject to myriads of exceptions.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:51 pm: Edit

So what... don't take all the fun out of trying something new!!! Besides, most of us realize thujone isn't everything... and who now drinks exclusively anything that isn't artificially colored? Go with it, have fun!

By Heiko on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Two things turned me off from immediately ordering the "Old Way":

1. The color
2. "The distiller made also a thujone test, and the result is that its level is above the EU limit."

These two things make it look and sound like any other highly overpriced pseudo-historical product that is available on the market...

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, it's okay, needs a lot of work but it suits my simple needs... Ypsituky ain't all it's cracked up to be but neither is crack...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Pikkle,
Head showed me your joint in a driveby. Nice place.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

pikkle is relatively dandy... just been out of the loop, out of every loop for a while... I'll probably slip back under my rock shortly...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Yo, Pikkle!
How're ya lad?

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:35 pm: Edit

I don't think anyone thinks you are stalling Don... it's that people got a taste of something supreme and then for whatever reason they are being made to wait... kind of like the next Star Wars trailor. And no one in their right mind would be drinking the rest of this swill if yours was available... take it as the highest compliment. And I for one have not had the pleasure of sampling any of your forthcoming offerings, word of mouth does wonders... and sorry, I still prefer Segarra to La Fee... my opinion baby.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Oh Donny Boy,
I obviously don't have to tell you about it. I'm absolutely not saying you are stalling. I absolutely am saying that tasting your stuff last March, thanks to Ted, opened my taste buds to what I really want to drink. It's just that in lieu of your stuff, most of us are going to keep trying pretty much anything new as an alternative, so don't chastise us. Potentially paint thinner or not.
When Jade hits, I have no doubts you'll sell a ton. Shit, just off me you'll make a decent pile-I spent $3k @ SC last year. All of that, and more from my pals, will shift to you guys.

Not Jaded by waiting,
El L

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:58 am: Edit

LL, do you think we are stalling because we want to?

You have no idea of what mountains we are having to scale to get to where we need to be to start selling.

Your impatience is exceeded only by our own.

So tell me about it.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:54 am: Edit

Lord H, while taste in absinthe as in anything else is ultimately ideosyncratic, I think there's a general consensus here on at least a few points:

1. Hills is swill
2. All other Cz 'absinth' is crap, excepting Sebors on which there is no general agreement one way or the other.
3. Spanish absinthes vary widely, but are generally well above ther Czechs.
4. The French (at least La Fee) is better than the Spanish overall.
5. Some La Bleue are better than any of the above, some are indifferent. Some may be downright bad -- but I've never tasted any bad.
6. I don't think there has been ANYONE who has sampled Ted's products who did NOT consider them to be better than any of the above by a wide margin. How many people is that, now? You are one of them are you not?

No one expects an iconoclastic bunch like this to lean toward slavish devotion to others' opinions. But, there is more consensus than you seemed to state, and this isn't a Bad Thing.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:47 am: Edit

Don,
Know what? We'd buy Jade if there was any.

Celebrating 1 year of waiting, made worse by sampling some,
Louched Liverton

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:43 am: Edit

Pikkle,
Nice to see you've been hangin' around all this time. If I knew you were still in the game I would have tried to hook up w/you when I visited the Prosthesis.
And for the record, I'm ordering a bottle of this Mystery Shit too. New stuff is new stuff.

Former Michigander,
LL

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:36 am: Edit

Knock yourselves out, guys. I guess some people will buy ANYTHING, once. Next time someone will just fill up old paint thinner tins and sell it that way.

By Brett on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:35 am: Edit

Actually just found this in my mail, from Federico.

"Dear customer,

We want to inform you that we have now a very special absinthe available.

We know a very small destiller who makes an extremely good anis, and talking with him about absinthe he made a research and found out a recipe his grandfather was making in the early 50´s. We convinced him to make it again, and this is the absinthe that has come out. It is coloured naturally, and it is the only absinthe made with ecological plants. The distiller made also a thujone test, and the result is that its level is above the EU limit.

It has a very intense wormwood flavour, but is well balanced with the other herbs (it has been distilled with 8 different herbs, so that it is the richest absinthe made in Spain, only followed by Serpis). We have not put a label on it since it is only a one-time production, we have called it only "Old Way"

We have thought that maybe you will be interested of having an idea how absinthe was made in the 50´s in Spain. We shall say that the few bottles we have now are unique, his next destillation will meet the established thujone levels, since the aim of making this absinthe is selling it in Spain and abroad.

I shall take the chance of inviting you to give a name to the absinthe that will come out. We will welcome any suggestion."

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:31 am: Edit

It is not a 'banned substance', the US absinthe laws of 1912 no longer exist, having been supplanted by the FDA regulations, which merely pertain to thujone as a food additive. And they don't even do that eve-handedly, since they ignore thujone in sage, tarragon etc.

It's like too much BHT in your pickled herrings for that matter.

The Customs folks have real things to worry about and the ATF regulates the DOMESTIC alcohol industry - manufacturers and commercial importers. The FBI and the DEA could care less, so who are you worried about? Ghostbusters?

The EU laws regarding labeling are much stricter than any of that sonsense, and being for export has nothing to do with it.

By Brett on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:30 am: Edit

Dang, and I wanted to be the first to try it. Well, hopefully you'll get yours before I place my order (likely). Let me know how it is.

I'd like to point out that while the picture (merely a representation) on SC has no label, that does not indicate that the real bottle has no label. I mean, usually they're fairly good with their pictures, but who knows?

I figure, take the risk...hell, its the only way to find out for yourself. I mean, I still have a nearly full bottle of Hill's in the closet. I'm sure it can't be as bad as that was. (Hill's actually tastes like a real strong version of Galliano with no sugar).

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:18 am: Edit

I've been lurking Lord Hobby... not much to say these days, perhaps you're right, too much ferrous oxide does not do one's brain well... and perhaps the SC offering is for export only... it's not like it's perfectly legal to be shipping a supposedly banned substance into the U.S. I'm willing to give it a go til something better comes a long.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 11:14 am: Edit

The notion that any of those folks who fill up screw capped wine bottles with 'absinthe' are "spending money for packaging" is amusing. All they are doing is saving on a cheap label. The all up bottling cost of a screw cap bottle including label is substantially less than $1.

The only thing that costs less than the cheap screwcap bottle and cheesy label is the absinthe inside, most likely mixed from oils, neutral spirits and food coloring. Like the rest of them.

EU has STRICT labeling laws for liquor and all food/beverage products, I really can't see how SC can sell a bottle of booze without any label. This boggles the mind.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 10:58 am: Edit

I've just ordered myself a bottle as well. In a plain, bottle and a bit pricier than the others, makes it intruiging. The manufacturer isn't spending money on the packaging anyway so I reckon it's worth the gamble.

Pikkle, it's been a long time since you posted here. Too busy breathing in those fumes in that steel factory I presume? I thought you finally breathed in too much sulphuric acid fumes and keeled over.

Anyway good to see you back.

Hobgoblin

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 10:15 am: Edit

You know what? Fuck it, I ordered two bottles of this new shit. I love a mystery and even if it turns out to be the Spanish equivilent of Staroplzensky, so be it, I endured a bottle of that and lived... it's not like we're able to purchase any thing from Jade anytime soon and La Bleue from a reliable source is slightly cost prohibitive. I think for most of us it comes down to our hands our tied and we'll take what we can get... I'll be you damn guinea pig!!!

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 10:09 am: Edit

Sure other people's views have a little bit of value but only a little bit. Think how many people on this forum say that all Czech absinthe is rubbish, that Deva is hardly worth the effort, that Serpis tastes nasty, that Segarra is the best absinthe available from SC. Well not according to my taste buds.

The trouble with giving real value to reviews is that you then end up getting people going around telling other people that such and such tastes like swill (or that it is wonderful) etc. because it is the 'expected' thing to say when in reality these people have never even tasted the product. I'm not saying reviews are wrong, they're not, but it's just that the truth within them only applies to the person writing the review and to nobody else.

If you want to know if something tastes good or not then MUST try it for yourself. If you haven't tried it for yourself then any opinion you have on it is based on hearsay and gossip and not on fact.

Hobgoblin

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 08:58 am: Edit

Hobgoblin,

I don't know about that. It's like reading film or restaurant reviews. If you follow them long enough and try their suggestions, eventually you learn whose opinions are likely to coincide with your own. When I had never tried absinthe, reading the reviews here kept me from buying overpriced Czech brands that might have turned me off the idea altogether.

Now I'm realizing that my tastes do differ from some people's -- even some of the absinthe veterans here -- and I'm inclined to be a little more adventurous. I might even try Sebor.

PV

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 07:48 am: Edit

Brett,

Buy it and try it (unless you're stuck for cash at the moment, in which case abstain). I will order it the next time I order. Also, don't feel you have a duty to post a review for others who are too conservative to risk a few dollars, pounds, yen or euro's.

Relying on other peoples opinions about what something tastes like is the coward's way and what tastes good to you may not taste good to them anyway and vice-versa.In the end you can only rely on your own taste-buds and experiences and not on other people's accounts of their own experiences.

Hobgoblin

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 05:28 pm: Edit

You're adventurous. Federico will see you how many bottles of Deva for that? Or better, a bottle of Segarra and some change left over.

My advice would be to let someone ELSE buy the first bottle of this unknown, label-less thing.

It's not as if every brand SC sells is the nectar of the gods, you know. They do sell some sheep dip, even some the poor sheep will complain about.

By Brett on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Just ran across a new absinthe at SC: Absinthe Old Way. A very plain(read: labelless) bottle with a bright green (a little more natural looking than Mari Mayans) drink inside.

Described as being made w/ a turn of the century reciepe, using "ecological plants". Tastes of wormwood, but well balanced with other herbal flavors. 35.76 Euros for 1 litre.

Anyone know anything about this? Maybe I should order a bottle and try it...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation