Ulex Absinth Ordinaire

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Ulex Absinth Ordinaire
By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Vera muh deara,

I knew you were still thinking about me.

Bashfully,
The Livertine

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

You can almost see how bitter it tastes.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

It makes Liver's profile pic look like a heart-shaped chocolate filled with strawberry goo.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 08:21 pm: Edit

btw, that's some muthafuckin ugly louche.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Kallisti, mistress of all things green and good,

A tiny java script will stop that pesky image theft.

Of course those bastards can always steal from each other...

Thine Fellow Webmaiden

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Ulex4

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I'm obviously new to the use of a digital camera.
Ulex3

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Ulex2

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Jesus! Sorry about the bandwidth.

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Ulex1

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Ulex1

By Admin on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Quote:

Yet another commercial site to pinch Kallisti's Fee Verte graphic.

sigh.

I wish they'd stop that.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Corretion:

I don't know anything about "Furial". I heard the name before, but I can't tell if it's good or not. The bottle looks very similar to Tabu, though

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Warning:

Do not order any of the German absinthes except Tabu. The standard Tabu (and its red twin) are quite good, even better than some Spanish

Absinthus is almost like some Spanish (~Deva), only it is not as balanced. Drinkable, but well... The first batch of Absinthus didn't contain anise or star anise, until somebody told the producer that absinthe must louche. Obviously, he didn't know before - does that tell you enough about it?

Monter is not absinthe, but some weird schnapps variety. Noone told those guys that not any alcohol with wormwood can be labeled absinthe.

Candela is NS, only sold as Candela in Germany. You should have seen what an attraction my bottle of NS was on New Year's eve. "Hey look, can you believe this? It says "NS" in gothic letters!!!!" ...

There are three different varieties of Tunel "hierbas" as well: dry, medium and sweet.
I've had a hierbas from another producer recently that was supposed to be "medium", but it was so sweet I couldn't imagine what a sweet one would be like. The hierbas from Tunel is better than their absinthe (from what I've heard) - so I wouldn't recommend the absinte...

By Absinthesque2 on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 11:47 am: Edit

They've got quite a few brands I've never heard of -- Candela from Spain, some variants on Tunel and a whole bunch of German. . .Anyone tried any of these?

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 09:52 am: Edit

I think Andy once said about Ulex that it tasted like the not so good first try of an unexperienced homebrewer.
I never quite found a good reason to buy a bottle of it, and I guess I'll never do...

btw. don't buy the Monter stuff that is available on the same site. It's not absinthe, it's schnapps with wormwood. Tastes like Williams, but the taste is spoilt a little by the bitter wormwood oil. No anise, doesn't louche, it's not at all absinthe.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 07:27 am: Edit

Yet another commercial site to pinch Kallisti's Fee Verte graphic.

Sigh.

By Crosby on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 06:03 am: Edit

Typical advertising bullshit!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 05:13 am: Edit

Thujone-Grenade!

Boumbadaboum!

By Crosby on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 07:30 pm: Edit

U1
That is before I had IE6. Oh Well!

By Crosby on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 07:05 pm: Edit

1,U1
This used to work

By Crosby on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 07:02 pm: Edit

1,U1
damn

By Crosby on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 07:00 pm: Edit

I recently obtained two bottles of Ulex Absinth Ordinaire from http://www.absint-shop.com/. A reliable seller but I wouldn't buy anything available from SC from him as his prices are higher. Shipping time was about one month, even with Paypal. This gives me some hope for the problems discussed in the New La Bleue thread. I paid $91.00 for two 70 cl bottles shipped to CA.
It's amusing to me that the paper wrapped bottles had small white stickers over parts of the labeling to hide the original advertising claims of Psychedelic qualities.
It's extremely bitter when tasted neat. The first time I prepared a drink with four parts water I thought it was undrinkable. I did not take enough time adding the water and a lot of the sugar didn't dissolve. This time I took my time and found the taste much improved with adequate sugar. It smells similar to Deva. The anis is the first thing you'll taste followed by bitterness. I'm not experienced enough to identify the herbs used but I do taste many of the same flavors that are present in a good La Bleue. The further I got into the glass the more I liked this drink though it's not something I would drink many glasses of in one sitting.
I think this is an interesting Absinthe and worth trying. If you don't like bitter you will hate this stuff.

Harry

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation